PDA

View Full Version : Parking tickets

09-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Question, I see parking citations being given out all over the Sawgrass Mall. Is there a special ordinance or something to allow parking citations on private property other then handicap and fire lanes?
Just a fellow PO trying to settle a bet with a Trooper who said Sunrise is not allowed, I said they can be issued through ordinances and agreements. Who's right?

09-06-2013, 02:06 AM
Only handicap and fire zone tickets only, no others allowed inside the parking areas.

09-07-2013, 01:32 AM
The mall grants the PD the authority to enforce chapters 316, 320, and 322 on its perimeter road and parking lots.

09-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Just noticed this post and wanted to throw in my two cents,over the years I have seen tickets given out for parking along the curbs in some places and cars on the grass medians in the parking areas during crowded days. In most of those areas there were no signs posted and as such, do to private property laws, do not meet the State Statute standards for tickets to be written. A lot of those tickets are thrown out when the "violator" has been showing up at court with photos and video showing the lack of proper signage. There has also been examples of judges asking for copies of the current agreement with the City of Sunrise to allow enforcement on the interior parking lots of the Sawgrass Mall due to the numerous complaints. It's not that tickets can't be written it's just that most of the curbs and medians are not painted or posted properly and lot of tickets being written are bogus.
If your told to write it and do not know better it's misfeasance. If you write the ticket and did know better then it's malfeasance and shame on you!
I live in Sunrise and think the Sunrise police are great with fantastic men and women that put their lives on the line every day for us. Just had to ask about the mall tickets though...........

Retired 30 year Motor Sgt.

10-08-2013, 09:44 PM
Can some one please tell me why are parking tickets still being written in the stupid parking lot for parking along the curbs or on the grass where there are no signs or yellow markings against it?
It's private property people it has to be posted and marked.............

07-25-2014, 12:49 PM
The mall authorizes you to write parking tickets!, Give me a break. It still has to meet the standard of law and follow state statute guidelines. 90 % of those tickets are bogus. Handicap, yes, fire lane, yes. On the grass NO, on the non painted curb, NO! If theres no sign, no yellow paint, NO TICKET - That could lead to a charge of malfeasance for knowingly issuing a bad parking ticket, just to do it correctly.

Yes I am a retired Judge. Yes I do support the police. I don't support the police administration that tells its officers to go out and hound the public with bad tickets. Leave the officers alone and let them do their job the right way!

07-31-2014, 03:33 PM
Shout out to Jenkins....