PDA

View Full Version : Does An Officer's Race Matter?

MOD 1
08-27-2013, 01:32 AM
I read this opinion piece from Boston and thought it was very interesting. I thought I would share it and see what others thought.

Mod 1

http://www.leoaffairs.com/blog/news/does-an-officers-race-matter/

08-27-2013, 07:55 PM
While race shouldn't matter at our agency, The Broward Sheriff's Office, our Sheriff has publicly stated that he would make the agency and command staff look more reflective of the community demographics.... Sad.

08-30-2013, 01:48 AM
Race should NEVER come into play in law enforcement. Whether its hiring or promotions, the processes should be color blind. This is not a career field where mistakes do not have consequences. In this job, mistakes get people killed. I have had great white supervisors, black supervisors, hispanic supervisors and female supervisors. They all had three things in common: they knew the job, they had common sense and they took care of their officers. I want the BEST and the BRIGHTEST out there having my back, I don't care what color your skin is. We need to stop with this crap of hiring and promoting based off of skin color. I would be embarrassed if I, or someone I knew, got promoted because of our color. WAKE UP ADMINs!!!! :cop:

09-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Here at the Tampa Police Department our promotion policy is first and foremost a racially and genderly biased system. With RARE exception every single eligible minority is promoted at every possible opportunity. We have had minorities demoted and then promoted right back a year later. We had a Lt once who was on a 30 day suspension when they selected him to be Captain. While a sitting Captain, he was suspended 3 times.

The only recourse the W/Ms had was to negotiate a police where we control who they can promote of the lists. For example.....to make Sergeant you have to be in the top 20% of the list and they can add two names for each additional opening. What the staff has done to defeat this is hold promotions. They dont promote until they can get further and further down the list to promote minorities. A few years ago the top of the Sergeants list was all W/Ms....I think like the top 17 people. Twenty percent was like 8 people....so they held promotions for a year til they could get to an incompetent B/F.

09-02-2013, 09:55 PM
19 or 21 officers were tied with the same score (depending upon whom you ask). 9 were racial minorities. That's about 1/2 but only whites were promoted from the white half with the same scores as the minorities for the 5 new sergeants. Only after "outcry" because of minorities and women getting passed over, time and time again did they add 2 men with the same score as the whites who are black on a separate but unequal personnel order the very next day, which makes them lower for seniority. Yes, an officer's race does matter. If you're a white cop with the Boston Police, you can be promoted but if you're not then you don't stand a snowball's chance in Boston.

For art imitating life, I leave you quotes from Leo Dicaprio, as Costigan: "Look at it this way: You're a black guy in Boston. You don't need any help from me to be completely f****d" and Marky Mark Wahlberg as Dignam: "Yeah, a lot of people just wanna slam a n******'s head through a plate-glass window" because that boys and girls is how it works on the job in Boston and I am neither a minority nor a woman but I can be honest enough to say those that are and become cops in Boston get screwed because race does matter here and so does gender or anything else they can find to discriminate for. All the children from The Boston Busing Crisis have grown up and it's payback time.

09-05-2013, 01:23 AM
Yes it does matter VERY much.

09-06-2013, 06:41 AM
Race should NEVER come into play in law enforcement. Whether its hiring or promotions, the processes should be color blind. This is not a career field where mistakes do not have consequences. In this job, mistakes get people killed. I have had great white supervisors, black supervisors, hispanic supervisors and female supervisors. They all had three things in common: they knew the job, they had common sense and they took care of their officers. I want the BEST and the BRIGHTEST out there having my back, I don't care what color your skin is. We need to stop with this crap of hiring and promoting based off of skin color. I would be embarrassed if I, or someone I knew, got promoted because of our color. WAKE UP ADMINs!!!! :cop: Nor should someone be held back because of their race.

09-11-2013, 09:55 PM
In Fort Lauderdale when you take the Sgt., LT., Capt test your name gets printed out
And placed based on your score. Then next to your score is marked male or female
Black, white, Hispanic . That needs to be removed. We also have a card you can fill
Out for the city if you are a minority and did not get the job you fill it out and send it
In. I saw this card next to our records department a while back. So I guess here race has
A lot to do with things :cry:

09-13-2013, 09:06 PM
While race shouldn't matter at our agency, The Broward Sheriff's Office, our Sheriff has publicly stated that he would make the agency and command staff look more reflective of the community demographics.... Sad.

Here at the Sarasota Sheriff's Office (http://www.sarasotasheriff.org/), we have never had:
- a black man
- a Hispanic
- a woman
- or a homosexual
in the rank of captain, major, colonel or sheriff.

The staff of the Sarasota Sheriff's Office is proudly all-white -- without any shame about it -- and has always been all-white, ever since Sarasota County was created.

09-14-2013, 07:51 PM
IS STILL PLAYING THE VICTIM CARD!!!!!!!!!

09-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Just my observation here, but it seems that the attempt to bring equality in employment practices for all races and specifically for minorities, has resulted in an over-emphasis on minorities, creating a direct advantage for them over the general populous. So instead of achieving equality in employment between races, we have actually shifted in the opposite direction where minorities are given the greater advantage over others, despite other non-race factors that should realistically be considered. Its one extreme to the other.

flkeydeep
09-16-2013, 04:33 AM
Retrievinng a lost post after the battery died

09-16-2013, 06:10 PM
It sounds like the minority in that city is white, if 53% are people of color.

09-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Here at the Sarasota Sheriff's Office (http://www.sarasotasheriff.org/), we have never had:
- a black man
- a Hispanic
- a woman
- or a homosexual

The staff of the Sarasota Sheriff's Office is proudly all-white -- without any shame about it -- and has always been all-white, ever since Sarasota County was created.

You go girl! :devil:

09-20-2013, 07:44 PM
You don't think there's never been a homosexual? LOLOLOLOLOL

- a black man
- a Hispanic
- a woman
- or a homosexual

09-21-2013, 09:47 AM

- a black man
- a Hispanic
- a woman
- or a homosexual

Here at the Seminole Police Depart just like this there is no racially bias whatsoever, as long ass your an ass kisser and a screw upyou will get promoted, we had a guy get a DUI, promoted, another guy DUI and gazed, promoted, a woman who is a total screw up who thinks people who comitt crimes should get hugs, promoted, a guy who discharged his ar twice in the station, transferred at lt over training, a guy who hasn't made a drug arrest in years, promoted to narcotics sergeant. A guy who was cleaning his gun shoot himself in the hand, promoted that's just a few, wait come to think of it they are all white, but this a considene but they are all screw ups

09-23-2013, 09:42 AM
At mdpd its all that matters for promotion and assignments

09-23-2013, 12:41 PM
I am more concerned with the ass kissers that get promoted.!!!!!!!

09-26-2013, 03:20 PM
I am not a law officer. After reading your pages here I find police in need of professional help. You boys and girls need serious help. And to think you have loaded guns and other violent weapons. I feel I need protection from some of you. Please get the medication and help you need.

09-28-2013, 08:22 PM
- a black man
- a Hispanic
- a woman

Interesting article from Sarasota County:

SARASOTA COUNTY -- An Englewood man found his home filled with swastikas and damage.

"I said are you kidding me? Swastikas in this time and age? It's ridiculous," homeowner Bob O'Toole said.

http://www.winknews.com/Local-Florida/2 ... kc44BCoMR8 (http://www.winknews.com/Local-Florida/2013-09-27/ONLY-ON-WINK-Home-trashed-swastikas-and-racial-slurs-drawn#.Ukc44BCoMR8)

09-30-2013, 02:14 AM
*Edited out by Mod 610 TOU Violations*

10-07-2013, 04:02 AM
*Edited out by Mod 610 TOU Violations*

This department sucks. They can keep their ******* indian money, they live on the rez because they cant make it anywhere else, good for nothin phuckin swamp rats

10-08-2013, 03:24 PM
- a black man
- a Hispanic
- a woman

The promotional mess at the Sarasota Sheriff's Office actually goes much deeper then that. Here is a newspaper blog about gross promotional mismanagement:

http://forum.heraldtribune.com/viewtopi ... 10&t=19684 (http://forum.heraldtribune.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19684)

10-10-2013, 07:54 PM
You could not be farther from the truth. The problem is lack of qualified people.

10-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Good cop, black cop. Period

10-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Good cop, black cop. Period

So you are saying there is a difference between a good cop and a black cop?

10-24-2013, 02:26 AM
Yes. I'm a State Trooper and I've run into black cops before

ghostwriterpfd
11-13-2013, 01:12 AM
On 11/15/2011 former fire chief Joe Harris showed up unannounced at the Plantation Police Department rambling his fat mouth over a case I never plead guilty to. If they hate you, they HATE you. I'm a white guy, but all my foes that day were white too. Detective Murray, Joe Harris, etc., etc. I've never been fired or discriminated by anyone black. I truly believe that if my fire captain at station one in Plantation Florida was black I'd probably still be a volunteer firefighter. But, Randy Pettitt had a personal problem with me and ran to all his white buddies on the Plantation Police Department to try to get me kicked out for good. I'm so glad that 70% of white females date black men. Hopefully interracial breeding will end all the discrimination we face in this country today.
I even wrote a book about all the crap I went through at that place. I only wanted to get vested for a pension and a white man took that away. And the Plantation Police protected him.

11-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Here at the Tampa Police Department our promotion policy is first and foremost a racially and genderly biased system. With RARE exception every single eligible minority is promoted at every possible opportunity. We have had minorities demoted and then promoted right back a year later. We had a Lt once who was on a 30 day suspension when they selected him to be Captain. While a sitting Captain, he was suspended 3 times.

The only recourse the W/Ms had was to negotiate a police where we control who they can promote of the lists. For example.....to make Sergeant you have to be in the top 20% of the list and they can add two names for each additional opening. What the staff has done to defeat this is hold promotions. They dont promote until they can get further and further down the list to promote minorities. A few years ago the top of the Sergeants list was all W/Ms....I think like the top 17 people. Twenty percent was like 8 people....so they held promotions for a year til they could get to an incompetent B/F.

That's funny you said that….reminds me of when I applied for the scholarship program to be sponsored in the academy. This was probably over 10 years ago, but a guy named Hicks was my recruiter. The application process took almost a year to complete, and when finally done with everything I received a phone call advising that I hadn't been selected. When I inquired as to why, I was told Tampa PD was more looking for "inner city minority youth" to sponsor in the academy.

Officer's race shouldn't matter, but society has made it matter. What a shame.

11-22-2013, 04:13 PM

That's funny you said that….reminds me of when I applied for the scholarship program to be sponsored in the academy. This was probably over 10 years ago, but a guy named Hicks was my recruiter. The application process took almost a year to complete, and when finally done with everything I received a phone call advising that I hadn't been selected. When I inquired as to why, I was told Tampa PD was more looking for "inner city minority youth" to sponsor in the academy.

Officer's race shouldn't matter, but society has made it matter. What a shame.

What do dat mean? You be sayin' the Tampa PD be racist? Sshheeeeeeeeet I coulda' told you dat. The man rolled on me and some of my peeps and wanted to know what I had in my hand. I say, "it's a Shlitz 40 mother****a". He say, "Sir, please refrain from speaking to me in that manor." So I say, "alright den, it's 40 ounces of whoop-ass I'm fiddin' to put on yo cracka ass." Then it be on! If I'da been white, dis woulda neva happened.

11-22-2013, 06:31 PM
In Police work all cops are Blue, and thats all you MF's should be concerned with. Shame on all that see otherwise. All you racist need to seek another line of work.:cop: