PDA

View Full Version : nice try NATHAN

02-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Report this postReply with quoteRe: Moving Forward
by Mr Attitude » 01/27/13 17:28:30

DEAR 'NATHAN',

I have just read the "moving forward and bottom line" post. I have to say a lot in those posts are true and I too hope we can move forward and get our leadership act together.

I do not come on this site often because it seems to be filled personal attacks, not facts. I try to stay clear of the politics, but I have many questions and do wonder WHY many of the decisions made over the last three years were made. Maybe someone can honestly answer my questions.

Some of the people I am about to mention have taught me some great lessons when it comes to leadership, tactics, professionalism and most importantly, family first and getting home safe at the end of the day. Why, because they were given the gift of natural born leaders and when they speak, I listen. Clearly, it seems the Chief does not. Maybe because they are not "yes men " and yes, I have heard them speak their mind, with respect I might add.

One thing that sticks with me is that the few I am about to mention have clearly EARNED their status by virtue of hard work and dedication to their respective jobs, no matter what division or unit they have been attached to. They all have worked their share of holidays, weekends, and nights. Unlike those who have been recently promoted. Simply going from one specialty unit to the road for a few months then back to a specialty does not give that newly promoted person a chance to learn, team build or learn to make critical decisions in the heat of the moment and most importantly, gain the RESPECT and TRUST of their subordinates and peers. It is no fault of there own, they are good people, but have they earned their position?

We all saw right through the last sergeant's test and how good officers were passed up in order to get to Sgt BD. Thank God the Chief finally saw the light and at least promoted #1 and he seems to be a fine LT. But, the 1st five on the list would have made fine sergeants. Instead some skipped, WHY?

I have been here long enough to see some great officers and leaders in which I would follow anywhere; Lt JL, Sgt KC, Sgt CM, Lt DB, just to name a few, beat down, and demoralized. I have heard many rumors as to why, because none of them discuss what has happened to them with me. In a way, I admire that, because they have integrity. I have always been able to go to any of them and discuss issues with confidence they would lead me in the right direction. And they have never let me down.

But what I do not understand is why, for example, Sgt CM was moved from SET / SCU. His unit seemed to arrest bad guys daily and he always included patrol in there operations when possible and he always gave credit where credit was due. If it wasn't for him, many would not have the ribbons on your chest. For my own selfish reasons, I am glad he is back to patrol as he is one of the best road sergeants we have. He has always treated me and others with respect and exudes confidence for all of us to do our jobs tactfully, professionally and safely. He demands nothing but your best effort on every call for service. Why was he kicked off SWAT? I would go thru any door with him. I liked what Mr. Attitude said in his/her last post- Was the event a success? Seemed like all his operations got the bad guy. Anyway, sorry, I went off on a tangent, I just admire the man.

The last great training we did when he was in charge of training and SET / SCU. It was the best. Me along with all the officers I know said it was the best realistic training we had in a long time. He challenged us in so many demensions. So what happened? At least, why isn't he in Training? Officer C B and DE are fantastic too, but it is not fair to CB to take on that responsibility and not get paid for it. And if training was a higher priority around here, which it is not, a supervisor would be assigned to the TU to help the TU be the best it can be. Not just to put a Sgt in charge of the TU in name, who has no qualifications or interest to handle the reponsibilty. Again, that just shows where the priorities are.

Why was Lt DB was moved from CID ? He has dedicated his on duty and off duty time to this city and citizens I have learned a great deal from him throughout my career.

Why was the 1st five on the sergeant's list not promoted?

Why was Sgt KC removed from K-9? A great Sgt. who has dedicated his whole career to K-9. Why isn't he in charge of that unit?

These outstanding veteran officers have earned the privilege to serve in these high liability specialized units.

These veteran officers will retire within several years, opening up the window for movement through natural attrition.

But instead the Chief has promoted or moved inexperienced people who should still be on the road. Lets check there attitude after working the road as a supervisor for at least 5 years?? Sure the select rookie sergeant's and LT attitude is wonderful now with every weekend and holiday off and home every night with there families. They haven' had a chance to screw up, not that I wish for anyone to mess up, but you will learn from experience and mistakes.

I guess seniority means absolutely NOTHING! I hope that the new DC, a man who has worked his way through the ranks, will honor those who have "paid there dues" with a competitive selection process. It seems like those who work hard and smart go no where, while those who are buddies go everywhere. I want to take the next sergeants exam, but with some of the poor leaders above me , will I get the mentoring one looks to be the best and succeed?

The rumors are already flying around the department for future movement. LT RM-Captain, Sgt HB-CID, Sgt BD-CIU. Why bother having a selection process at all ? The writing is on the wall. Anything to get Sgt BD off the road. Ever think about Sgt KM? She has the personality and skill set for CIU. And she is way senior than others. I am not here to pick on Sgt BD. She is a good person, and well suited as an SRO. But again, the assessors on the sergeant exam pick the best and they did, and they were the top 5. Another slap was to send a rookie sergeant to an assessment center. I guess all the other sergeants do not qualify... Right!

There are so many talented and dedicated officers in this department. I can only hope those who are supervisors on patrol or chosen for a specialized unit in the future are picked because they are the best person for the job based on qualifications, merit, past evaluations, and EXPERIENCE. And more importantly, they are set up for success, not micro managed and literally bullied and disrespected. This job is hard enough. And even tougher if your own Chief does not have your best interest at heart.

I am not on this sight to *****. I, like so many of us want only the best for OUR police department.

I have asked a lot of questions and hope someone will tell me the truth

THE TRUTH, AS YOU KNOW, IS KEPT IN A VERY SPECIAL PLACE WITHIN MY HEART, so please stop posting if you don't want to hear more, 'NATHAN"