PDA

View Full Version : EOD opening Ft. Myers

01-29-2013, 03:31 AM
Did they ever fill the spot?

01-29-2013, 05:37 AM
Not as far as I know.

It may have been reclassified to a regular detective slot, which you'd be better off in. Nothing against our EOD guys, but it's plenty more work/continuous training for the same pay. I'm not lazy or afraid of work, but out of self-respect I can't fathom taking on more without proper compensation, especially after so many years without a raise, and no OT.

Please do not misinterpret my rant. The problem I mentioned above applies to all state jobs, and therefore not exclusive to SFM. We are a great agency to work for. We have good working conditions, and a very technical area of expertise. Like in anything else, you will find good and bad, but at the SFM the good FAR outweighs any bad.

Essentially, if you see a non-EOD position in an office of interest to you, don't pass up the opportunity.

02-01-2013, 01:54 AM
It should be filled here soon...waiting on HR approval is what I hear

03-14-2013, 04:02 AM
I got the call, just waiting for HR to get off their ass.

03-30-2013, 09:39 PM
According to Lt. "_" no decision yet.

04-17-2013, 04:02 AM
You have to consider that we are also towards the end of the budget year, and the Legislature is in session. I hate to have to say this, but if you don't start by July 1, the position may be closed completely (not for a fact, but not impossible). The delay may very well be due to that.

06-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Yes, both positions are now filled and I believe they are starting on Friday. One came from Charlotte County Sheriffs Office and the other was from Division of Insurance Fraud.

06-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Yes, both positions are now filled and I believe they are starting on Friday. One came from Charlotte County Sheriffs Office and the other was from Division of Insurance Fraud.

Like we didn't see that coming. The fix was in from the start, they shouldn't have been so buddy buddy with him during the assessment. At least make it look somewhat legit.

06-10-2013, 05:54 PM

Like we didn't see that coming. The fix was in from the start, they shouldn't have been so buddy buddy with him during the assessment. At least make it look somewhat legit.

I am not surprised but I don't think it was a "fix" from the beginning. In the end I got to wear a bomb suit and pass the assessment, not everyone can say they have done that. SFM is a state agency with the same problems as other state agencies, no better no worse. If I could have only done EOD that might have been cool, not so sure i would want to see a burned body. Good luck to whoever got the position.

07-25-2013, 08:15 PM

I am not surprised but I don't think it was a "fix" from the beginning. In the end I got to wear a bomb suit and pass the assessment, not everyone can say they have done that. SFM is a state agency with the same problems as other state agencies, no better no worse. If I could have only done EOD that might have been cool, not so sure i would want to see a burned body. Good luck to whoever got the position.

I have a question about SFM's EOD Units. I know in Tallahassee, you guys have a joint team with FDLE Capitol Police and Leon County SO but in other parts of the State, does SFM serve as the EOD for areas with no local bomb squad? As in the way that FDLE helps out with complex criminal investigations in areas with limited resources? I ask because I know in some counties there are multiple local EOD teams. (often the County SO and one or more city PD's)

08-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Yes we participate in regional teams in all the areas we cover. If there are not other teams around we then will cover that area as the primary EOD team.

As for there being a fix....not so much.

We conducted the assessment and the paperwork was sent to Tallahassee to be scored and then to personnel who advised who we were to do background investigations on. There was a long delay due to an applicant with military preference and how to properly handle this...

If any of the applicants reached out to the current EOD techs for guidance or to ask questions prior to the assessments they were not turned away.

In our agency none of the EOD techs are full time and there are few if any other agencies that are full time. Miami Dade PD is full time and they might be the only ones in our state that are. FDLE Capital police in Tallahassee also have full time EOD techs.

08-05-2013, 06:48 PM
I would disagree, the guy picked for the job was not in the best shape, did not have the best time for the assessment or the PT test, did not have experience with EOD. He did however work in the same building as Fire Marshall and he also seem to know all the FMs. It's ok, no hard feeling, just don't pretend it isn't what it was.

08-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Sorry you feel that way...it really was personnel who picked the final two after backgrounds were completed.....

08-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Yes we participate in regional teams in all the areas we cover. If there are not other teams around we then will cover that area as the primary EOD team.

As for there being a fix....not so much.

We conducted the assessment and the paperwork was sent to Tallahassee to be scored and then to personnel who advised who we were to do background investigations on. There was a long delay due to an applicant with military preference and how to properly handle this...

If any of the applicants reached out to the current EOD techs for guidance or to ask questions prior to the assessments they were not turned away.

In our agency none of the EOD techs are full time and there are few if any other agencies that are full time. Miami Dade PD is full time and they might be the only ones in our state that are. FDLE Capital police in Tallahassee also have full time EOD techs.

Thanks In the know, also the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office EOD is full time. The county also has two part time teams at West Palm Beach Police Department and Boca Raton Police Department. The town of Palm Beach Police Department also had a part time team until budget cuts several years ago.

12-29-2013, 04:19 AM
Any new ones opening soon?

01-15-2014, 06:46 AM
I so rocked the test wearing that damn suit!!! At least I can say I did it, not everone can...

01-19-2014, 06:27 PM
Yes you did.....

Unregistered
09-15-2016, 09:14 PM
Long gap in responding, lol. Not only did I get to wear the suit, mine weighed more because it was the XL! 😜

Where was the training for EOD? Red Stone Arsenal?

Thanks.

in the know
02-09-2018, 10:13 PM
I have a question about SFM's EOD Units. I know in Tallahassee, you guys have a joint team with FDLE Capitol Police and Leon County SO but in other parts of the State, does SFM serve as the EOD for areas with no local bomb squad? As in the way that FDLE helps out with complex criminal investigations in areas with limited resources? I ask because I know in some counties there are multiple local EOD teams. (often the County SO and one or more city PD's)

when the sfm started eod units they went to areas with little or no eod coverage. they are a support agency like fdle. there are teams in the panhandle, tallahasse, tampa and ft.myers. florida is now tech heavy with i think about 300 state wide techs.