PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Stop

08-05-2012, 01:37 AM
Is it really the policy of ASO to have drivers exit their vehicles at night and get called back to the Deputies vehicle via PA commands? I have been a LEO in Florida for a long time and was surprised when my senior citizen mother called and started sayinbg something about a ticket, no headlights and then community service. I immediately thought she issued a criminal UTC! I had the female ASO Sgt working Micanopy on 08/04/12 at 2040 hoursthat stopped her call me. I was relieved to discover their was no criminal ticket written for anything and it was only a non-criminal UTC. I was upset that my mother, who has a handicap placard displayed in the vehicle due to numerous ailments and knee replacement, was called out of the vehicle and asked to walk back to the Sgt's car. Is it really the policy of ASO to call people back to the car who have handicap permits as the Sgt told me it was? If it was so was dar out and dangerous to the point that my mother needed a citation for no headlights then was it really that safe for a handicapped senior citizen walking along side the road with blue lights flashing, spot light etc , to walk back to the deputies car? Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking. Can any of you at ASO help me out and let me know if this is all normal their? I am wanting some input before I decide what to do next (i.e. complaint etc.).

Concerned LEO

08-15-2012, 01:41 PM
For whatever reason, those at ASO believe that calling people out of their vehicles is best for officer safety. It seems that this agency is in the very small minority in holding that belief. Nonetheless, the reason your mother was called out is because it is the Sheriff's Office policy to not approach a vehicle.

08-22-2012, 01:27 AM
Please complain the powers that be force this policy on us and the punishment that follows is not worth being polite. I hate calling people back all the time. It has its time and place, but should be officer discretion. At the most recent in-service training a certain training sgt told road supervisors to seek disiplinary action against deputies who do not call people back.

04-04-2013, 02:34 PM
I know this post is old, but I still can't stop laughing...... WOW...... your sheriff is scared of the citizens it protects! HAHAHAHA :devil:

04-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Actually she is a very intelligent individual who knows whats good for her deputies. Because she cares for her deputies. Which is why she won the election. I have no problem with this policy and I am proud to have Sheriff Darnell as sheriff of Alachua County.

04-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Actually she is a very intelligent individual who knows whats good for her deputies. Because she cares for her deputies. Which is why she won the election. I have no problem with this policy and I am proud to have Sheriff Darnell as sheriff of Alachua County.

Okay, that's good to know. In the meantime though, she, along with the administration and whoever supports that ridiculous policy, are afraid of the citizens you are suppose to protect HAHA LMAO.

Hey I have a better policy, why don't you guys ask the drivers to step out of their car and towards your vehicle as you stay in your unit. Then have then put their DL, Reg Card, and Insurance card on your winshield. Then when you write them either a warning or a ticket, you can then slip it through the crack of your window. That way, you don't ever have to leave the comfort of your unit and don't have to interact with the big bad Joe Citizen that apparently you all are afraid of :devil:

11-22-2013, 09:36 PM

Yeah right. She does not give a damn about her deputies. "no good deed goes unpunished" and "you should be happy to have a job" come to mind. ASO is a joke and just an entry level agency helping train future candidates for professional organizations. That why most deputies with better than 4 years have job applications out around the state.

Can't wait to hear back from my last job application.

11-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Attention! Attention! You two in the house. We got a call about a disturbance. Please exit your home and come out to my patrol car and come sit in the front seat. Oh Yeah, please also bring your DL with you.

What a bunch of huckle bucks! Never ever heard of any agency conducting a traffic stop in such a manner. It is sad to think that someone actually thinks that it is tactically sound to conduct business that way.

Richard B. Weinblatt
Everyone who’s been in the popo business for any amount of time knows that the two most dangerous activities law enforcement officers engage in are (I’ll give you a moment to guess)… domestic disturbances and traffic stops. With traffic stops, you just don’t know whom you are stopping. The person could be an emotionally disturbed person (the politically correct phrase for a crazy psycho type), a bank robber, or a little old lady on the way to church. You just don’t know.

Traditionally, police academies and employing law enforcement agencies have taught the driver’s side approach. Slowly, the passenger side approach has also been broached. Now there’s a new trend afoot in the traffic stop lexicon.

The driver call-back, or no approach, is gaining traction as officers come to grips with the dangers of roadside traffic stops. Many progressive law enforcers, such as the 1,500 sworn patrol deputy sheriffs of the Orange County Sheriff’s Office in Orlando, FL, now use this approach.

By the way this is not be confused with calling the driver back while you are firmly ensconced in the driver’s seat. This is a lazy and dangerous way of doing a driver call-back that I would never advocate.

The safer (notice it is “safer” as nothing in this business is safe or a guarantee) approach involves calling the driver back and changing positions to have a tactical advantage.

There are many advantages to using this tactic. Here are a few of them:

1) Divide and conquer. By calling the driver or occupants back to your marked vehicle, you have taken away any strength in numbers advantage that they might have had otherwise. If you had approached their vehicle, you would be confronting all of them together.

2) Sizing up. Bringing them back to your world allows you to assess them before walking into uncharted waters.

3) Distance from Weapons. When you call the driver back, you remove him or her from the proximity of any weapons that he or she may have stashed in the passenger compartment.

http://policelink.monster.com/training/ ... call-backs (http://policelink.monster.com/training/articles/5883-safe-driver-call-backs)

12-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Attention! Attention! You two in the house. We got a call about a disturbance. Please exit your home and come out to my patrol car and come sit in the front seat. Oh Yeah, please also bring your DL with you.

What a bunch of huckle bucks! Never ever heard of any agency conducting a traffic stop in such a manner. It is sad to think that someone actually thinks that it is tactically sound to conduct business that way. And after your little "Huckle Buck" comment, you completly contradict yourself by linking an article that supports the "call back" method?? WTF are you on?

Richard B. Weinblatt
Everyone who’s been in the popo business for any amount of time knows that the two most dangerous activities law enforcement officers engage in are (I’ll give you a moment to guess)… domestic disturbances and traffic stops. With traffic stops, you just don’t know whom you are stopping. The person could be an emotionally disturbed person (the politically correct phrase for a crazy psycho type), a bank robber, or a little old lady on the way to church. You just don’t know.

Traditionally, police academies and employing law enforcement agencies have taught the driver’s side approach. Slowly, the passenger side approach has also been broached. Now there’s a new trend afoot in the traffic stop lexicon.

The driver call-back, or no approach, is gaining traction as officers come to grips with the dangers of roadside traffic stops. Many progressive law enforcers, such as the 1,500 sworn patrol deputy sheriffs of the Orange County Sheriff’s Office in Orlando, FL, now use this approach.

By the way this is not be confused with calling the driver back while you are firmly ensconced in the driver’s seat. This is a lazy and dangerous way of doing a driver call-back that I would never advocate.No Deputy at ACSO sits in their seat whilst calling back said violator. You have no idea what you're talking about, rook. I was at ACSO for 3 years and they've been conducting stops like this for a long time. However, the later ACSO directive gives said Deputy discretion in his approach. EG: Driver side approach, Call back, or Passenger side approach etc. Take the time to learn what a particular agency does, before you start call people Huckle Bucks, Rook. WTF kind of insult is that anyway.......Huckle Buck? Sounds like an insult you'd hear on Duck Dynasty or something.

The safer (notice it is “safer” as nothing in this business is safe or a guarantee) approach involves calling the driver back and changing positions to have a tactical advantage.

1) Divide and conquer. By calling the driver or occupants back to your marked vehicle, you have taken away any strength in numbers advantage that they might have had otherwise. If you had approached their vehicle, you would be confronting all of them together.

2) Sizing up. Bringing them back to your world allows you to assess them before walking into uncharted waters.

3) Distance from Weapons. When you call the driver back, you remove him or her from the proximity of any weapons that he or she may have stashed in the passenger compartment.

http://policelink.monster.com/training/ ... call-backs (http://policelink.monster.com/training/articles/5883-safe-driver-call-backs)

12-14-2013, 06:27 AM
You are the one who can't read and must be on something. The thread and comments were on ASO using the call back method while the leo sits in the patrol car not standing outside of the patrol car or at the rear. As for rook, I have almost 25 years on the job my friend and I have witnessed ASO sit in the patrol car and call someone back to their patrol car using the PA without ever leaving their comfortable seat!

12-14-2013, 06:34 AM
As the original poster and to help qualify your guys arguments, my mother (over 70 years and partially handicap) stated the Sgt never left her patrol car while barking out commands over the PA system and had her sit next to her in the patrol vehicle without ever exiting her vehicle. I would not say ASO are a bunch of huckle bucks as name calling doesn't solve anything. Was the discretion and tactics used in this case the best? I think anyone with any legitimate law enforcement experience would have to say the whole safety of the officer and my handicap mother walking back to the patrol car along the side of the road is exactly a bright idea. Imagine if a handicap senior citizen was to ever stumble in traffic or get struck by a vehicle? Better get ready to sign a nice large check!

What a bunch of huckle bucks! Never ever heard of any agency conducting a traffic stop in such a manner. It is sad to think that someone actually thinks that it is tactically sound to conduct business that way. And after your little "Huckle Buck" comment, you completly contradict yourself by linking an article that supports the "call back" method?? WTF are you on?

Richard B. Weinblatt

By the way this is not be confused with calling the driver back while you are firmly ensconced in the driver’s seat. This is a lazy and dangerous way of doing a driver call-back that I would never advocate.No Deputy at ACSO sits in their seat whilst calling back said violator. You have no idea what you're talking about, rook. I was at ACSO for 3 years and they've been conducting stops like this for a long time. However, the later ACSO directive gives said Deputy discretion in his approach. EG: Driver side approach, Call back, or Passenger side approach etc. Take the time to learn what a particular agency does, before you start call people Huckle Bucks, Rook. WTF kind of insult is that anyway.......Huckle Buck? Sounds like an insult you'd hear on Duck Dynasty or something.