PDA

View Full Version : College paper Survey

Johnson8906
03-28-2012, 02:44 AM
Alright to start off, I am Majoring in Criminology and want to become a police officer when i graduate. I am taking a policing class this semester and have to survey some police officers, deputies or troopers. If you could reply to this thread if you are interested, with your agency and number of officers, i would like some from smaller agencies and some from larger agencies. The Survey wont take very much time to complete and i would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance
Adam Johnson

03-29-2012, 01:19 AM
Why do you want to be a leo. Do you feel the need to prove your manhood to the guy's?

MOD 646
03-29-2012, 02:23 AM
Why do you want to be a leo. Do you feel the need to prove your manhood to the guy's?

Give the guy a break.

03-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Become a janitor instead.

03-30-2012, 06:41 PM
I was really disappointed reading the replies to this guys post. I hope those who responded were not law enforcement officers. I would be glad to do your survey. I have been in law enforcement over 20 years, and I still remember why I got into it, and why I stayed. It's not the best job in the world nor the worst. It certainly is a choice to consider. Unfortunately many law enforcement officers get wrapped up in politics and other distractions over the years to the point one would wonder why they stay. Law enforcement officers have a difficult job under less than perfect conditions from the streets to the administrations they work for. The job has put a roof over my head, paid for a college education, and allowed me to do a few of the things I want to do. If you want to be a law enforcement officer I have a few words of advice. Use the two ears God gave you more than your mouth. Always incorporate compassion and understanding in your daily duties. Put yourself in the other guys shoes. It's no fun being on the wrong side of the law, especially when it's a stupid mistake or error in judgment. Treat others as you would want someone to treat your own family member. It's possible to do this job with honor, dignity, and respect. Best of luck.

MOD 646
03-31-2012, 01:59 PM
I was really disappointed reading the replies to this guys post. I hope those who responded were not law enforcement officers. I would be glad to do your survey. I have been in law enforcement over 20 years, and I still remember why I got into it, and why I stayed. It's not the best job in the world nor the worst. It certainly is a choice to consider. Unfortunately many law enforcement officers get wrapped up in politics and other distractions over the years to the point one would wonder why they stay. Law enforcement officers have a difficult job under less than perfect conditions from the streets to the administrations they work for. The job has put a roof over my head, paid for a college education, and allowed me to do a few of the things I want to do. If you want to be a law enforcement officer I have a few words of advice. Use the two ears God gave you more than your mouth. Always incorporate compassion and understanding in your daily duties. Put yourself in the other guys shoes. It's no fun being on the wrong side of the law, especially when it's a stupid mistake or error in judgment. Treat others as you would want someone to treat your own family member. It's possible to do this job with honor, dignity, and respect. Best of luck.

Well said.

03-31-2012, 08:02 PM

You sound like a rookie to me.

MOD 646
03-31-2012, 10:42 PM

I'm not a rookie and I agree with him.

04-01-2012, 02:25 AM
With over thirty-two years of service with the state, I feel that I did a good job, at least my evaluations said so. I had a lot of fun, and enjoyed my job. I helped a lot of people, and enforced the law. There were many times I had no back-up, used common sense, took care of situations...there is a lot of job security in this job, as long as you watch your back. As you can see, there are a lot of hate mongerers out there. If you get around them, they're like a cancer. But you will find many who are dedicated to the job and will help you have an enjoyable, and rewarding career. Stay safe!

04-01-2012, 04:09 PM

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm way too old to be a rookie. I'm winding up my career. I just haven't allowed the politics and the system in general to get to me.

04-01-2012, 04:11 PM
With over thirty-two years of service with the state, I feel that I did a good job, at least my evaluations said so. I had a lot of fun, and enjoyed my job. I helped a lot of people, and enforced the law. There were many times I had no back-up, used common sense, took care of situations...there is a lot of job security in this job, as long as you watch your back. As you can see, there are a lot of hate mongerers out there. If you get around them, they're like a cancer. But you will find many who are dedicated to the job and will help you have an enjoyable, and rewarding career. Stay safe!

Thank God you made it to retirement. I'm 36 months away from 28 years myself.

Retired Bubba
04-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Hey! I sent you a PM...

04-01-2012, 07:16 PM
I agree with the State officer. I too am in my final years and have served decades. I've loved the job, loved the chase after the "bad guys" and the interaction with 98% of the citizens. I've networked with all facets of the communities, from the poorest to the richest and have made many, many friends.
Sadly, you make a few enemies too. They are generally discussed previously who very quickly develop attitudes towards others and the citizens they serve. To them, it's us against them with little empathy towards those not in the law enforcement community.
My advice is to stay away from them, keep a healthy perspective by having outside interests besides the "job". If you sit behind K-mart with two other on duty cars and ***** about what's wrong, it will affect your own persona. Stay busy, network with the community and appreciate what you have and you'll never have to look back and your mental health state will be the better for it.

04-11-2012, 02:59 PM

Hey asshole. Yes you. Get help. Your a burn out. The person is asking help for and you come up with this B S. the other possibility is your not a cop but a hater. Either way, get help asshole.