PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Clermont, applying at CPD

11-27-2011, 07:37 PM
CPD Officers,
My family and I are moving to Clermont next summer. I currently work for DOD as a Federal Police Officer. The PD I currently work at is beginning to crumble and looking at major layoffs. Instead of waiting for the bottom to drop out I decided after 10 years its time to move on. Long story short, Im looking a CPD after completing my EOT. How is the department? What are good places to look for a home? What are places I should avoid? How are the schools. Any extra information anyone could share would awesome. Thanks a bunch.

B

11-27-2011, 11:33 PM
run, run, run as fast as you can --- either that, or wait for the department to devolve on national television

11-28-2011, 05:43 PM
I worked there several years ago and wouldn't go back if the salary was a million plus a year! Too many politics and butt kissing for my liking. I was there to do a job, not play footsie with the chief to keep him happy. There are better agencies in the area. I would suggest Mount Dora or perhaps Eustis. The whole town of Clermont is not very appealing from the cookie cutter housing developments to the overcrowded schools.

Good luck with your search...

11-29-2011, 01:51 AM
Don't listen to those idiots. It is what you make it. You can either work there and have decent job or run your mouth, make bad mistakes, and get fired. Chief is a good guy, there are politics but thats anywhere, pay is ok but we all know cops need more money, and we have some good equipement. i am sure some people will say it sucks but its not bad. As long as you do what the job is then you have no worries. Good Luck. I bet I get atleast 1 post about being an az$ kisser.

11-29-2011, 05:00 AM
Don't listen to the first two posts...they are disgruntled FORMER employees who had the light shined on their dirty work. Clermont is a great agency with good pay, good equipment, and it's a growing community. Good luck.

11-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Neveragain and Spandex....you are 100% right.

BrockGS07,
Save yourself....not worth moving to a corrupted city, starting with the top to the pee on officers, they lie, cheat, and backstab each other.
Its like working with a bunch of high school kids.
The pay sucks the union is a joke ....and the beat goes on...
And by the way your boss is the City Manager.....go figure
There is hostile work environment along with everyone screwing each others wife or female staff....
The captains are untrained in IA's and look for hemming you up after doing a tour of duty,
violations of rights ....God help you if your different...
Good Luck in your search for a honest PD.

11-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Neveragain and Spandex....you are 100% right.

BrockGS07,
Save yourself....not worth moving to a corrupted city, starting with the top to the pee on officers, they lie, cheat, and backstab each other.
Its like working with a bunch of high school kids.
The pay sucks the union is a joke ....and the beat goes on...
And by the way your boss is the City Manager.....go figure
There is hostile work environment along with everyone screwing each others wife or female staff....
The captains are untrained in IA's and look for hemming you up after doing a tour of duty,
violations of rights ....God help you if your different...
Good Luck in your search for a honest PD.

11-30-2011, 11:04 PM
All,
I really appreciate all the comments, both pros and cons. In my experience, even here in the Federal system, we see the same problems. I have friends in the surrounding agencies that experience the same issues that I believe all departments and agencies will have. I have yet to experience any place that is free of rumors, gossip, back-stabbers, and officers who would probably be best as something other than a police officer. It’s a challenge that will always exist. I hope CPD can be a new home for me and my family here in the future. Additionally how is the Tac-Unit? I’ve been on our SRT since 2006 and really love it, and would love the opportunity to continue. Again, a sincere thanks to all of you.

12-01-2011, 03:26 AM
Do a Google search for salary and you'll see that the surrounding counties have agencies within their borders whose pay and benefits are far greater than those in the city of Clermont. If you interested in a TAC unit you'd also do yourself an injustice working for the city of Clermont. Specialized units are pretty much zilch in this one horse town. Again, if you're coming from the Federal level and you don't have baggage you'd be doing yourself an injustice applying for this place. There are plenty of other agencies that actually have specialized units and much better benefits. Clermont has a few good cops and a couple of rookie officers with no experience that were brainwashed into thinking they work for some elite agency or something. Just compare the minimum requirements for a police officer in Clermont versus other agencies...you can't argue facts.

12-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Ive recieved several differant answers as to the starting salary at CPD. FDLE says 42, City website says 41, and Ive read where other officers have stated 38 for the starting salary. Which is correct? Im also looking at OPD. If that were the case, what would be the better areas to look for a home that would be safe for my family? Someone suggested Apopka.

01-30-2012, 07:47 AM
Word to the wise young buck...do you really want to work for an agency who's officers call other agencies to complain about marked police cars speeding (10-15 over speed limit) in their town? Clermont, the laughing stock of Central Florida law enforcement, second only to Windermere!

retread
01-30-2012, 10:11 PM
You guys in Clermont need a reality check. The city is growing and the politics will only get worse. If you don't like, it leave! Stop complaining! You could be all alone on a foot post up north doing real work in some sh_ _hole neighborhood freezing your a_ _ off!
To the poster looking for a job here, its what you make it! Good luck and be safe!

03-28-2012, 06:57 PM
n_xrsQEwCZ8

03-28-2012, 06:59 PM
watch?v=n_xrsQEwCZ8

03-28-2012, 07:01 PM
youtube.com/watch?v=n_xrsQEwCZ8