PDA

View Full Version : GIVE ME SOME DISCIPLINE!

MEIN KAMPF
10-26-2011, 01:38 AM
My Rant: A much needed item these days in the profession of law enforcement is the issue of Discipline.

I believe that officers are not just called to be held to a higher standard of ethics and professionalism. But I believe that we are also called to a higher standard of Discipline as well. Those who wear the uniform and enforce the Law, should be the an example not just in job performance, but in Discipline.

I believe that even among us, there is a great need of enforcing Discipline. At some point our generation of law enforcers have forgotten that If an officer cant withstand Discipline he /she isn’t fit to be an officer at all, period. Some officers are under the impression that the arduous rigorous Discipline regime has stopped once they graduated from the academy. I believe that Graduation from the Academy is just the beginning, since in my opinion, Law Enforcement is a profession of Discipline. To settle for less, is to disgrace the Profession.

A Troll can not be an F.T.O. Because Trolls only produces more Trolls, no officers.

I agreed that discipline can be misused, as some leaders acting in haste, or out of ignorance or even intentionally can make the error of making the “righteous pay for the sinners”. However, no leader can get away with the fact that Discipline is a much needed item these days.

My Little Bit Of Everything: Discipline is a precious tool to build and maintain the morale of the officer’s core (if it is used in a positive way of course). When officers see other officers blowing smokes in the leadership’s behind in a regular bases and getting away with practically every violation of SOPs or supervisors' directives, no maintaining their cars cleaned inside, carwashed outside, turning in the car to the next shift with an empty fuel tank, even low air tire, working everyday no carrying all the mandatory equipments, or leaving part of the equipments inside their patrol vehicles for later other officers to come after them, guessing where they parked their patrol car, guessing how to get the key out, walking first and second floors to their vehicle to finally picking those share equipments up, going back to the station and putting the keys back,(in other words...doing the work that they don't care to do) taking shift cars to work 59s while the incoming officers are stranded and forced to get into a pool car, which is also dirty, with an empty gas tank...etc...etc...(thank God some supervisors do pay more attention to these issues than others, those supervisors who doesnt is because they don't have to share their patrol cars with the Trolls) etc...these kind of behaviors makes look the whole organization as a big joke, and eventually, the well disciplined officers runs the risk of following suit after the example of the Trolls (if you cant beat them, join them).

Discipline, is not only to be enforced, it must be exemplified. It must be promoted and also inspired on others. and yet, very important, Discipline must be Rewarded! Lack of Discipline Enforcement is a deterrence for Discipline, but lack of Discipline Recognition is a great discouraging for Discipline behavior too.

My Story: I started to park my personal car where ever closes parking I could fin in the first floor. The email prohibiting that came out. I then started park my car on the second floor. Then I noticed that must people continued parking their personal car "whatever they could find", I then said to myself “why follow a rule that clearly nobody else is following anyway, with the exception of my supervisor” . I then started to park just like the rest of the people.

One day, I casually asked my supervisor as why he did park on the second floor when nobody cared for that rule anymore. He replied “I never thought of myself as someone who is entitled to an special treatment nor I am here above others ”…little he knows that his unexpected words had a great impact on his subordinate.

I thought to myself, “he is giving the example for his entire squad, if he doesn’t consider himself to be above others, should I consider myself above my supervisor or the rest of the squad?....No Way!!!”…..Since then, I started parking next to his car. notice that He gave me no direct order! .....No admonitions were given! ....He did not even ask me where I was parking and why.. He did something Better than that ….he gave me his example! ….And his example was enough for me. The next day, I started parking in the second floor! ..... Yes… Discipline can be Inspired! (And yet Indiscipline can also be inspired as well.)

My Wishes: Grater Discipline! May the Leadership of the second floor see in the core of its officers a complete Disciplined, Trustworthy and Respected Corp of Law Enforcers!

Peace.

02-25-2013, 07:44 AM
What??