PDA

View Full Version : PSL Police Department

08-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Could someone on this forum tell me the benefits of working for the Port St Luice Police Department?

Study Tours-8 or 12 hr shifts
Rotating days off
20 or 25 yrs pension
How are the benefits?

Why do people read these forums but never reply?

08-28-2011, 07:41 PM
PSL PD laid off 24 officers last fall. Not worth looking into at this time. I think some call backs have happened but its very tuff in this area finding a LEO position. Most of the agencies in this area have laid off or just not hiring.

08-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the reply!

Since I live in NYC and I already took the written exam at Treasure Coast Training Complex in Fort Pierce do you think its worth to go along with the physical etc and then go to school pass it and maybe by then they will hire me since I have prior law enforcement experience from nyc or do you think I should try big cities like Orlando PD etc.
Any advice

08-29-2011, 09:26 PM
If your willing to put yourself into class I would say sure. Get the course I forget the name,I think -- Examination Qualification Course. The class were you take Fl high liability subjects (ranges, legals, etc.) then pass the State exam. At that point, you will have better chances being Fl certified. Try the major cities and surrounding areas from what I've seen the only hiring seems to be there. Many agencies have been bringing on Reserve Officers-- meaning no pay but when they need to hire they look at them first.
The FRS, the State retirement plan, which most all agencies use changed greatly two months ago. Now we must contribute 3% and the pay out multiplier dropped. The plan isn't as sweet as it was before.
G4S hires all the time for LEOs and ex-military. Plently of guys have gotten hired by G4S until an agency hires them. For security work the pay is the best there.

09-02-2011, 01:50 AM
How is the pension retirement payout overall as a police officer in florida either in psl or somewhere else?

I heard some pds have 25 yrs work to retire which sounds crazy.