PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter to the Chief

08-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Dear Chief,
I would like to start by saying that I am a long time employee (16+ years) who loves his job and cares about the place. I am not a miserable person. I would like to see you succeed and the department become the best it can be.
Recently you came to one of our briefings and asked if anybody had any questions or would like to discuss any rumors that were floating around. I’m sure you remember that nobody volunteered to discuss any concerns. I can tell you that many of us wanted to speak up but we were in fear of speaking out or questioning authority. The reason nobody would speak up is because you have lost the trust of the men and women of this department. Morale is at its lowest point in my 16+ years.
There is no doubt that we think you are a good man. When you first got here you started to make positive change and the men and women of the department felt good about where we were headed and what you were doing. You communicated with us and there was a sense of transparency and a willingness to build consensus. You went from being a progressive administration to a gotcha administration. You retreated to your office and we never saw you again.
If you’re truly willing to take an objective view of things, I believe you will see that that is when things started to take a turn for the worse in the department. Granted some people have done some stupid things and have deserved to be disciplined, but to have the primary focus of the department become discipline makes for a terrible work environment for all. I’m not exaggerating this point. People come to work now with a sense of fear, a feeling that we may be targeted next. It is not a productive or healthy work environment. Are these the actions of someone who cares about us or the department? Is this an administration we should trust?
Many of us are waiting for your next big test. Rumor has it that you have decided who you are going to promote next. There are at least 3 other people available on that list who have more experience, possess better leadership skills, but most importantly have the RESPECT of their coworkers. One of them has extensive road patrol experience and was a sergeant at his previous job. The other two have extensive road patrol experience, worked in the detective bureau and are now successful task force members. Bringing them back from a task force makes for more opportunities and training someone else would be as easy as it was training them. I’m not sure why you skipped the people you did on the list, but the vast majority of us would be more than happy to have them lead us. In fact if any of them failed, I would reveal myself and tender my resignation. That’s how much confidence I have in them, because I’ve known them for over 16 years. Both you and the DC had everybody in the department attend Ethics Training – You just haven’t been here long enough to understand why. They also talk Appearances speak volumes.
There is talk amongst the troops of taking a confidence vote in the administration. Some have already looked into how to go about the process and many of us believe that you would be on the losing end of that vote. You have every right to pick who you want to promote and nobody argues that. In fact everybody thinks you’ve made good choices so far, but if your next selection is based on her ability to establish a friendship with you and not experience, leadership skills, and the respect of the men and women, that confidence vote will almost certainly come about.
This issue is not about not promoting It is about your ability to reestablish trust, confidence, and integrity with the troops. This just happens to be the hot button issue with the troops right now. The men and women of this department like you. We think you’re a good person. We want you to get back to the Chief we knew when you first got here The guy who made decisions in the best interest of the department. Decisions that were NEVER questioned because they were CLEARLY the BEST decision, the RIGHT decision.
We will be watching. We remain hopeful that you will get back to doing the RIGHT things. We want you to be successful, and we want to be part of making the department better. We can’t do that when we are forced to work in an environment of fear and your decisions are of a questionable nature.
Good luck! It’s unfortunate that I have to communicate with you this way, but given the environment I can’t take the chance of becoming a target.

08-06-2011, 01:31 AM
Great Job, so true, thanks you.

08-06-2011, 01:41 AM
You guys are all idiots!!!

08-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Good post. Well written with valid information and views. However, lThere are certain ways to speak to your subordinates, Sure, one would want to scream at the people who did certain stupid things around here, but come on. Have some tact; give out the necessary discipline without a profanity filled tirade. I have no idea why he's even here (o but believe he's on the way out. I think he's had enough of our little department and will soon say "I don't need this shite, phuck it" and walk out. Let's see what happens in the next coming months.
Again, good post. Thanks for writing what all of us are afraid to talk openly about.

08-07-2011, 01:20 AM
Open letter to the Chief

I read the post and I want you to know that my whole Team has no issue with you or the DC and I speak to other offices at shift change and I have heard none of what he is talking about. This is a good place to work and it got a lot better since you and the DC got here. For all those people who have had to be disciplined I have one thing to say "REALLY!!!!" stop doing outrageous things and you won't be disciplined. To the people Don't like it here please leave all my team want you malcontents gone..just calling it the way my friends and I see it! Just because you post a bunch of crap doesn't mean you speak for us

08-07-2011, 11:24 AM
it is not your team anymore, but thanks for the comment.

08-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Good post. Well written with valid information and views. However, lThere are certain ways to speak to your subordinates, Sure, one would want to scream at the people who did certain stupid things around here, but come on. Have some tact; give out the necessary discipline without a profanity filled tirade. I have no idea why he's even here (o but believe he's on the way out. I think he's had enough of our little department and will soon say "I don't need this shite, phuck it" and walk out. Let's see what happens in the next coming months.
Again, good post. Thanks for writing what all of us are afraid to talk openly about.

[b]

08-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Hi Chief

Hope you read this because you need to hear this. Want to know who smiles at you and the minute you walk away talks smack. Well here goes (nice open letter) and (WOW). and (recently) are you kidding you both benifited from the chief, shame on you. and DF wow what a suprise but you should know better. is trying to win his case on leo affairs and spinning it knowing that he can say whatever he wants. You are all a bunch of girls hiding in the shadows.being called Back stabbers is to good for you, I will just go with cowards.

08-07-2011, 04:20 PM
I am a resident of Coconut Creek and the widow of a NYC police officer who was a member of the 10-13 club in Broward. My husband used to read LEO Affairs and now I know why he would get so infuriated. As a taxpayer I too am infuriated that the people we pay to "Protect and Serve" our community would resort to the kind of infighting, mudslinging and whining that I've been reading on LEO Affairs. This is the sort of thing we've come to expect in political campaigns but I am ashamed and embarrassed to see that our "finest" have sunk so low. In a recent post directed at the Chief, the writer even resorts to what I can only call Extortion! Making an outright threat of a vote of No Confidence to deter the promotion of a fellow officer. Where is the respect for authority in this organization? Do police officers have the right to voice their opinions? Absolutely, but there is a proper forum for that and it is not on this blog. They denigrate the dignity of their shield and all the hard working men and women in uniform when they resort to this cowardly, anonymous rhetoric. As the widow of a long time police officer I am outraged and ashamed of all of you who participate in this immature display that tarnishes our police department and the entire community of Coconut Creek. I'm making it my mission to make sure my friends and neighbors in this community are made aware of what is going on here. I am sure they will be as shocked and displeased as I am and we will collectively make our feelings known to the Mayor, City Commissioners and the City Manager.

08-07-2011, 07:59 PM
[quote="New open letter"]Hi Chief

Hope you read this because you need to hear this. Want to know who smiles at you and the minute you walk away talks smack. Well here goes (nice open letter) and (WOW). and (recently) are you kidding you both benifited from the chief, shame on you and wow what a suprise but you should know better. is trying to win his case on leo affairs and spinning it knowing that he can say whatever he wants. You are all a bunch of girls hiding in the shadows.being called Back stabbers is to good for you, I will just go with cowards

04-24-2012, 02:53 AM
this deserves to be back. you were told a year ago morale was bad. Thanks for making it better

04-25-2012, 12:49 PM
I am a resident of Coconut Creek and the widow of a NYC police officer who was a member of the 10-13 club in Broward. My husband used to read LEO Affairs and now I know why he would get so infuriated. As a taxpayer I too am infuriated that the people we pay to "Protect and Serve" our community would resort to the kind of infighting, mudslinging and whining that I've been reading on LEO Affairs. This is the sort of thing we've come to expect in political campaigns but I am ashamed and embarrassed to see that our "finest" have sunk so low. In a recent post directed at the Chief, the writer even resorts to what I can only call Extortion! Making an outright threat of a vote of No Confidence to deter the promotion of a fellow officer. Where is the respect for authority in this organization? Do police officers have the right to voice their opinions? Absolutely, but there is a proper forum for that and it is not on this blog. They denigrate the dignity of their shield and all the hard working men and women in uniform when they resort to this cowardly, anonymous rhetoric. As the widow of a long time police officer I am outraged and ashamed of all of you who participate in this immature display that tarnishes our police department and the entire community of Coconut Creek. I'm making it my mission to make sure my friends and neighbors in this community are made aware of what is going on here. I am sure they will be as shocked and displeased as I am and we will collectively make our feelings known to the Mayor, City Commissioners and the City Manager.

First off I would like to express my Condolences, However as a citizena and resident of the city, i think you should pay more attention onhow your tax money is being spend than reading these post and making comments you have no idea about. You should ask why the City ok'ed an extra position for a 100k plus Deputy Chief, the hiring of a public corruption attorney to serve as a legal adviser, Promote an officer to acting sergeant of a task force (where no actual sergeant postion existed), promote another officer to sergeant when there is no sergeant position available (in the hopes that one may retire someday) spend hundreds of thousands of dollars fighting an officers termination 9 and the sergeant got his job back and now the city has to pay all the money back to him). Hired an officer with some serious liability issues and under several IA's from her past employer and also has a driving record that is horrible. That is just a few of the issues.

04-25-2012, 02:33 PM
First off I would like to express my Condolences, However as a citizen and resident of the city, I think you should pay more attention on how your tax money is being spend than reading these post and making comments you have no idea about. You should ask why the City ok'ed an extra position for a 100k plus Deputy Chief, the hiring of a public corruption attorney to serve as a legal adviser, Promote an officer to acting sergeant of a task force (where no actual sergeant position existed), promote another officer to sergeant when there is no sergeant position available (in the hopes that one may retire someday) spend hundreds of thousands of dollars fighting an officers termination 9 and the sergeant got his job back and now the city has to pay all the money back to him). Hired an officer with some serious liability issues and under several IA's from her past employer and also has a driving record that is horrible. That is just a few of the issues. Hope to see you at a city commission meeting some day. And please let the mayor, manager and whoever else know about the nonsense that is going on here and how the moral is at an all time low because of their selection of this chief.