PDA

View Full Version : ADAM SMITH AND THE TAKE HOME POLICY.

MEIN KAMPF
03-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Adam Smith isthe father of Laissez-faire capitalism. He wrote: "The Theory of Moral Sentiment" -1759.

He argued that in a free market economy demand and supply and competition ultimatley serve the self interest of the entrepreneur and the custumer. both needs each other, and Mr. Smith said: while the seller's goal is to get as much money from the buyer as possible, we also find that the buyer's goal is to get as much from the seller as possible with the same amount of money. In this struggle we find that competition, offert and demands works in such a way that it looks like if an Invisible Hand makes the struggle to work for the commun good. they ended up serving each other interest.

the question is what in hell does Adam Smith have to do with our Take Home Policy?

THE ARGUMENT.

Does anybody knows all other department within the University itself that has a greater turn down rate that our police department ? …..

I mean…comparing apples with apples.

How many others 40K salary positions in our university has the same turn down rate that we have?

I am persuaded that there is NONE….

THE ISSUE.

As the economy stabilizes and more officers retires from the neighboring agencies, the need and possibility for those agencies to hire more officers will increase and so does the possibility of us losing more officers to them.

Not to mention that the word is out that we want to almost double the amount of officers that we already have in the next few years…..(without a take home policy or salary increase, this is just a dream by people that doesn’t know anything about police departments)

THE POINT.

My point is this: if we would have a take home policy in place, that will help us to retain officers which in turn , is the interest of the University.

THE COUNTER ARGUMENT.

we are a university police department, not a city department. historically, no other university police departmen never had a take home policy before, therefore we dont need a take home policy either.

THE REBUTAL.

Yes is true that we are a University Police department. but as different to others universities, we exist and draws our officers from a Multi agency enviroment. We have more Police Departments today than what we had back in the 80's within the Metropolitan Area.

The picture is brutal for an agency that dont have an salary increasy program neither a take home policy! and yet, wants to have a thriving, motivated, yougn, high morale police force.

Also, Even the rest of the Universities nationwide are moving away from the University retiree mentality and are starting to be a little more competetive in respect with their neighboring agencies in order to mantain a healthy police force.

THE CONCLUSION.

Perhaps the best way to render Adams SMith's "invisible hand" is ..."i scratch your back and you scratch my back" ...

This sounds very vernacular and pedestrian. However this is the heart of diplomacy.

Take home has become a need for this department, and very soon no longer a waste of money.

Translating Emmanuel Kant "Cathegorical imperative" into an "Economical Imperative".

Salute!

03-21-2011, 11:28 PM
There are three universities in the State system which have take-homes

FAU
UCF
FSU

And I believe UF is looking at implementing take homes too

MEIN KAMPF
03-22-2011, 04:23 AM
Thank you for your support!

And thats why FIU will follow next!

However, this bennefits dont come out of the blue. Requieres team work and a heavy involment of the PBA.

Mind you, I am not a political expert, but i cant tell you that the PBA has 2 general roles.

one is a Negative Role and the other one is a Positive Role.

The Negative Role is to prevent things to happend. While the Positive Role is to make things to happend.

An example of the "Negative Role" is seeing when the PBA mediate order to prevent certain offiecrs to get writen up or fire or whatever....

An example of a "Positive Role" is seing the PBA mediate in order to increase the officers bennefits for instance.

Mind you, Since i have being here, I have mainly seen the PBA playing a Negative Role, protecting certain key officers from administrative disasters.

Our PBA should have a more proactive and Robust vision....like focussing in "making things happening"

Only then, The Take Home Policy will be a reality.

Respectfuly,

MEIN KAMPF.