PDA

View Full Version : Credentials

02-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Can anyone give some insight on what type of Master's degree would be preferable to get hired by the USSS? I have 4 years of police (patrol) experience, and with the federal budget being reeled in, I am trying to separate myself from other candidates. Currently, I am working on my masters in Homeland Security and Emergency Management, and studying Arabic. Should I switch to something more cyber related, or pursue a fraud investigation certificate in adddition? Does the USSS have any demand for Arabic, or would something more practical like spanish be better? Any insight helps! Thanks in advance.

02-11-2011, 03:24 AM
If you're studying Arabic and are pursuing a master's degree, do yourself a favor and DO NOT apply with the USSS. Apply with the FBI instead (if you speak Arabic, the USSS will probably send you to work on a JTTF anyways, but that will only last 2 years). They will make better use of your talents than the USSS will. The agency does not place a value on language or any other skill that they did not bless off or train you on. The FBI process will probably be longer and more frustrating, but the career opportunities are much greater and the career is much more rewarding over the long run. Take a look at some other posts on this board and you will see that the USSS is no longer the agency it used to be (or thinks it still is). There are a ton of former USSS agents that are now FBI agents, but there are no former FBI agents with the USSS - there's a reason for this. Best of luck in your career endeavors.

02-11-2011, 02:42 PM
The golden days of the Secret Service are past.

Some people are attracted to it because of the sexy name. Don't go down that path.

You can tell someone that you are a Secret Service agent and 15 seconds later they will refer to you as an FBI agent.

So forget about the sexy name and look for an agency that won't destroy your family and possibly your health with unreasonable travel and work demands.

:!:

02-11-2011, 03:52 PM
The golden days of the Secret Service are past.

Some people are attracted to it because of the sexy name. Don't go down that path.

You can tell someone that you are a Secret Service agent and 15 seconds later they will refer to you as an FBI agent.

So forget about the sexy name and look for an agency that won't destroy your family and possibly your health with unreasonable travel and work demands.

:!:

AMEN! retired USSS SA.

worfusa2008
02-12-2011, 02:43 AM
When I told my RAIC that I was going to retire one year before the mandatory age of 57, he asked why. I told him, "For the past seven years, I have given you every thing I have and you still want more. It is not fun any more". The Service was offered bank fraud and credit card fraud with only a promise of more money and manpower. The Service got neither. The Service was offered additional responsibilities and jurisdictions, outside its core mission, with only a promise of money and manpower. The Service got neither and was told to do with the resources it had or these new jobs would be given to another agency, as if any other agency wanted them.

Protection is reported to be up to 75% of career man hours and HQ still demands that field agents maintain a case load that requires at least 50% of career man hours. Do the math. In its effort to acquire money and man power, HQ actively sought more responsibilities and jurisdictions, outside its core mission, in the vain hope that it could expand its empire. With the advent their being folded into Big Sis and her DHS empire, the Service has found neither. As HQ now tries to return to its core mission, is it only a matter of time until extraneous Secret Service responsibilities and jurisdictions outside its original mission are parceled out to other DHS agencies and the FBI? Would this be a bad thing? Is it too late for the Service to return to its role as the lean and mean executive protection and counterfeit chasing tough guys and gals of old? Apparently, some wiser heads in HQ are trying.

02-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Hopeful: You seem to have your head on straight and getting a Masters in HS, taking a foreign language, and your police experience will but you far ahead of other applicants. As for going to the FBI instead of the SS - go with your heart. If you go with the SS and don't like it you can always go to the FBI. As was suggested to look at other postings, many which are negative towards the SS, take same with a grain of salt. I know FBI agents who think the Bureau is the most screwed up agency in all of law enforcement. I do believe the SS has overseas offices which need Arabic speakers. Again go with your heart and don't let the nay sayers sway you one was or the other.

02-22-2011, 03:47 AM
Hopeful: You seem to have your head on straight and getting a Masters in HS, taking a foreign language, and your police experience will but you far ahead of other applicants. As for going to the FBI instead of the SS - go with your heart. If you go with the SS and don't like it you can always go to the FBI. As was suggested to look at other postings, many which are negative towards the SS, take same with a grain of salt. I know FBI agents who think the Bureau is the most screwed up agency in all of law enforcement. I do believe the SS has overseas offices which need Arabic speakers. Again go with your heart and don't let the nay sayers sway you one was or the other.

If this gentleman wants to pursue a career in the USSS let him have at it. However, most of the "naysayers posting on here are speaking after 20 to 25 years experience on the job as SS SA's. I don't know who you are or your background but I do know many of the other "naysayers" posting here. We are attempting to save this gentleman from wasting several years of his life to find out we were correct and you are wrong.

worfusa2008
02-22-2011, 11:30 AM
The Comanche School of Management: A Comanche will ride his horse until it goes down. Then, he will build a fire next to it and keep it going until the horse gets up. He will continue to do this until the horse will not or cannot get up any longer. Then the Comanche will eat the horse.

03-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Thank you all for your posts. This is one of the few forums where one can actually find people with significant Federal LE experience. I've noticed that it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain any 1811 positions. My guess is the budget hangup is really affecting this. Also, I didn't entirely realize how one sided municipal law enforcement experience looks on a resume until I began investigating federal agencies. I feel like being a cop, whether for 5 years or 10 years, etc, simply makes you part of the inexlusive "Dime a dozen" club. I work for a major metropolitan PD, but even still, to make detective one needs over 10 yrs and the right political connections. An 1811 is an investigator from day 1.The biggest advantages I see to the USSS (correct me if I'm wrong) are: 1) continuously hiring 2) respect law enforcement experience. The FBI, IRS, OIGs, seem to want more non law enforcement professionals (lawyers, accountants, fraud examiners, etc). I suppose its easier to teach someone the general LE skills over financial or legal analytical skills. Any thoughts from the veterans?

03-16-2011, 12:43 AM
I wouldn't necessarily consider "continuously hiring" an advantage to the USSS. If anything, it should tell you something about the agency. The USSS is a small agency with only about 3200 agents. The ATF and DEA have similar numbers, but they only open up once in a blue moon. The FBI has over 13,000 agents and they, too, don't open up that often. Why is an agency as small as the USSS constantly hiring? The answer is they need to in order to backfill the retirements and constant attrition. Given how complex both the agencies missions have become, management has no desire to increase the number of agents, even in some of the busier field offices that constantly get crushed with protective visits and are busy investigative wise. They are content with "less is more" and "What can we get away with?" Agents and officers are increasingly asked to complete asignments with crappy equipment that is archaic and ineffective. Our radios don't work around the block, yet the Marshals can talk over 70 miles away on their handhelds. Are you sure the USSS is the agency you want to go with?

03-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Agents and officers are increasingly asked to complete asignments with crappy equipment that is archaic and ineffective. Our radios don't work around the block, yet the Marshals can talk over 70 miles away on their handhelds. Are you sure the USSS is the agency you want to go with?

Equipment? As far back as the 1970s Customs had a series of linked repeaters across the Gulf coast from Miami to San Diego that would allow an agent with a handheld to talk from coast to coast.

Of course these days you can just use your cell phone.

:mrgreen:

03-17-2011, 04:35 AM
Agents and officers are increasingly asked to complete asignments with crappy equipment that is archaic and ineffective. Our radios don't work around the block, yet the Marshals can talk over 70 miles away on their handhelds. Are you sure the USSS is the agency you want to go with?

Equipment? As far back as the 1970s Customs had a series of linked repeaters across the Gulf coast from Miami to San Diego that would allow an agent with a handheld to talk from coast to coast.

Of course these days you can just use your cell phone.

:mrgreen:

ICE acan still use radios to communicate nation wide. Indeed, all ICE communications (regardless of the point of transmission) are monitored from Orlando, FL.

03-17-2011, 05:43 AM
Wow I would've thought the USSS would have top of the line equipment. I figured the agency tasked with protecting our president, vice president, and other nation's leaders would have the best budget and be immune from cuts that other agencies must incur. Part of me wants to be selective, yet part of me remains humble thinking why should I be picky, I may not even get hired anywhere! Nonetheless, thanks for all the input. For the time being, I'll continue pushing my patrol car and letting the pieces fall.

03-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Wow I would've thought the USSS would have top of the line equipment. I figured the agency tasked with protecting our president, vice president, and other nation's leaders would have the best budget and be immune from cuts that other agencies must incur. Part of me wants to be selective, yet part of me remains humble thinking why should I be picky, I may not even get hired anywhere! Nonetheless, thanks for all the input. For the time being, I'll continue pushing my patrol car and letting the pieces fall.

When you get ready to go federal apply with several federal agencies and take what ever offer you get.

Federal pay and benefits continues to be generally better than local pay.

Good luck.

04-19-2011, 05:40 AM
Fedhopeful dont listen to these guys. Most have a bone to pick and many would never have lasted on any other job. The only post that was spot-on was about multi apps, take the 1st one that is offered to you and yes the retirement and benes are great or I should say were great for those hired before '84 or '85. Many of those who are negative ss are enjoying pensions (pre '84/85 pensions) that are much much much better than the pension we're currently working for.

04-22-2011, 05:02 AM
You should consider other souces to help you with you decision.

04-22-2011, 05:07 AM
Needed to correct some spelling in the previous post.....

You should consider other sources to help you with your decision.