PDA

View Full Version : Special Officer

11-19-2010, 02:33 AM
I've noticed a few postings for the "Special Officer" position. Are there any former or current USSS personnel here who can provide input on this job beyond what's provided on SecretService.gov or the job posting itself? Is it essentially a UD officer who works in plain clothes and away from DC? Is it mostly fixed posts, driving, and managing equipment? What's the lifestyle and top pay of a special officer like? As for me, I'm an LEO in Southern California with 3.5 yrs (sworn) experience and working on a Masters in Criminal Justice/Homeland Security. I'm trying to get away from local politics and into the DHS. Your time and input is very much appreciated!

12-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Its a fixed post usually as part of a former president/VP/dignitary detail, similar to a "guard" but armed with limited arrest powers...as in on duty only. You receive basic police training similar to what a local officers receives. Its a pretty mundane gig. There is very little travel involved beyond training. You wont get the job unless you have prior law enforcement in some form or fashion.

01-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Actually, Special officers are utilized in 3 different areas of the Service:

1. DC Based providing fixed post security for USSS facilities (like the HQ building.

2. Former Presidents details providing fixed post security at teh formers residence.

3. Numerous field offices around the country acting as a limo driver for visits to that area.

All three groups are used nationwide on a temporary basis for other details as needed (both driving limo or fixed post security).

01-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Actually, Special officers are utilized in 3 different areas of the Service:

1. DC Based providing fixed post security for USSS facilities (like the HQ building.

2. Former Presidents details providing fixed post security at teh formers residence.

3. Numerous field offices around the country acting as a limo driver for visits to that area.

All three groups are used nationwide on a temporary basis for other details as needed (both driving limo or fixed post security).

Additionally, as of January 2010 all Special Officer positions in the Service are covered by the enhanced law enforcement retirement which required being hired prior to your 37th birthday unless you qualify for veterans hiring.

01-12-2011, 07:00 PM
As to the pay, Special Officers are on the GL (Law Enforcement) special pay rate.

You will generally start at a GL-7, with the full performance working grade as a GL-9. On most former details they will have a Lead Special Officer which is a 10 and may have a Supervisory Special Officer which is an 11.

You can find the pay tables with locality pay HERE (http://www.opm.gov/oca/11tables/TXT/leotbl.txt)