PDA

View Full Version : up comming contract negotiations

10-01-2010, 06:42 PM
We will be back in contract negotiations starting October 6th 2010. If any one has any ideas please reply to this message of contact Tom Ouverson.

10-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Is the PBA going to do anything about the loss of two holidays for the up coming year? Why would the Sheriff take away Vetern's Day holiday, that is a holiday that honors so many American's, that have given the ultimate sacrifice for our countrys freedom. Why not take away MLK holiday or Christmas Eve or better yet...Labor Day? It's just wrong!!

10-06-2010, 08:04 PM
The two holidays were given up to fund the pay plan and longevity plan. The other county agencies are also cutting the same holidays. No public schools in Highlands County observe the holiday either.

10-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Is the PBA going to do anything about the loss of two holidays for the up coming year?

That didn't really answer the question but based on the response received, that looks like a "No". I would actually like to know what PBA has actually ever accomplished for us during contract negotiations. And no, I don't mean new boots...

10-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Well I think the PBA gives you Legal Protection. This is the first reason for having them. Second we still have a pay plan and they give us a voice. Luckly for us we have a Sheriff who will listen some will not and just go to impass. Ask some other county employees who have had no raises in the last three years. We ask the "Brass" to listen to us and do the right thing. We also should do the same. STOP bashing everything could be worst; looking for a job right now sucks...

10-06-2010, 11:56 PM
But I do think we should observe Veterans day before many of the other holidays. Why cant we give up MLK Day or Labor Day to show support for our veterans. We want people to stand up for us WE need to stand up for our VETS>..

10-11-2010, 06:48 AM
well, with the contract negotiations, the concerns I have and MANY others have is with Comp time and Flex time. The comp time policy was implemented though policy, which according to the Fair Labor Standards Act, is illegal. It states that this can ONLY be implemented though a collective bargaining agreement between the agency and the union. I don't think that we agreed to this yet. Also, Flex time is not legal. If you have worked overtime, you should be compensated at time and a half. The agency or supervisors also can not "force" you to take time off during the same pay period if it is your NORMAL scheduled work day. They can ASK you if you could take it off, but it is your option. Forcing you to take off from your normal scheduled work day at straight time, to avoid paying you overtime is also a violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act. These are viable issues that I feel the PBA should be handling with the contract negotiations rather than having an employee bring this to administration so the employee would not be targeted by our upper administrators. I understand that with budget concerns, money is tight and concessions have to be made but, those concessions should be within the law. There are other ways to skin a cat. Hopefully the PBA can skin this one for us. We seem to be able to afford cars, bikes, NUMEROUS promotions and raises but the little guy is the one that has to suffer. I have spoken, any responses?

10-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Well you have a great point on the extras you see beening purchased. However Were those items alreadu in the budget or grant funded. Maybe taken from foreiture money. Dont know because we are not on the admin staff that makes those decisions. As far a the PBA doing something about the Flew time, it is done COMP time. Did not even have to fight for it. I only ask in my post for us to all rememeber it is not always as clear as we see it. Remember there are County Commissioners out there trying to grab money from anywhere and it seems they al ways are looking at our budget. Look at the big picture and some of this stuff just makes for bad moral. Our job is tough enough, dont make it harder with lowering Morale. Yes we can lower our own Morale. I know someone will say but what about all the dumb decisions. I say first pick your battles, second remember you may not see the whole picture, and third it may not work for you but it may help others. HAVE FUN at work, get it done, and most of all BE SAFE...

10-11-2010, 12:31 PM
They are to busy endorsing candidates such as ALEX SINK (without your consent), and spending your hard earned money to do it. Once they have in office those they want (those who help THEM, not you), then they will come around and call themselves bargining on your behalf. Maybe you will get a new pair of boots out of the deal, but their pockets get fat. If you would have saved your dues each month over the past six years, think of how many pair of boots you could have bought.

10-11-2010, 08:29 PM
The FOP and the PBA are both backing Alex Sink.

10-12-2010, 12:38 AM
OK when did the PBA ask for a vote for who we want them to back. I know many have said well Scott had that trouble in his company. But didnt Sink lose billions of dollars from our retirement fund. And if Obama's plan did not work for jobs why do we think a person who backed everything he did will have a different plan. Remember WE dont have jobs if people arent paying taxes. I know they are backing Sink because they think she will leave law enforcement jobs alone. But remember when the economy was up and cops we jumping around agency were raising wages. WE only get this if more peopel are paying taxes...

10-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Scott is tired of public service employees (YOU AND ME, MAN) riding the "gravy train"- and that is right out his lying, theiving, cheating, mouth. A Frigging crook, kids. For real.

I know we hate to settle and pick the lesser of 2 evils, but Sink is it by far.

No kidding.................

10-18-2010, 12:34 AM
The lesser of two evils. Has Scott lost any of your pension money? If Sink does not make jobs in FL and people pay taxes then what job will you have. Can Scott get rid of Cops..NO People will always need us. If your worried about Scott cutting back. VOTE for SINK and when we have no tax base, therefore no budget the jobs will be cut and she will have lost all of your pension..

THINK. you said lesser of two evils. Scott has not done anything to COPS BUT SINK has. So I think I will go where I havent been kicked in the face and try something new. THAT is the Lessor of Two Evils. By the way Sink lost all the money and was paid 8 million to do it..HAAHAH Shes laughing to the bank just like OBAMA..By the way that the same attitude that elected HIM>..Thanks for that one....

10-18-2010, 02:12 AM
At least Sink has not refused to answer questions 75 times when askedand pleads the 5th. If you do not know what your company is doing when it comes to fraud on a single business level how will you ever be able to keep your finger on what is going on with the entire state. What does any of this have to do with contract negotiations anyways.