PDA

View Full Version : Tampa District/Honeymoon Island

09-20-2010, 02:40 AM
If any DEP Officers that work Honeymoon Island monitor this site, can you tell me a little about the park (schedules/equipment/supervisors/etc)? I am a Tampa Bay area LEO with 12 years of experience and have applied to the open Honeymoon Island position. I have worked with DEP in other areas, but never with the guys/gals at HMI. I did a ridealong several years ago at Hills River SP and liked what I saw. If one of you can shed some light, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

PS: I don't need the sarcasm or outsiders telling me how "bad" DEP is. As I stated above, I have 12 years of LEO experience and have worked side by side with numerous agencies throughout my career so I know who DEP is and would be honored to call myself a DEP Officer.

09-20-2010, 03:11 AM
Just another quick question, is there any OT or Off-duty available? Thanks again.

09-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Just another quick question, is there any OT or Off-duty available? Thanks again.

I am a retired officer who just started with DEP. I have worked a couple of times at Honeymoon Island. The equipment issued is very good. You are issued new uniforms, dress and field duty gear, glock 21, shotgun, ar15, either an suv or truck, atv, if you are at honeymoon-you will have a boat. The supervisors, officers, and park personnel that I have encountered are very friendly and open. Regarding overtime and extra duty, it depends on the budget and if you are off probation. You can do off duty after probation. Overtime is a problem right now due to budget constraints brought on in part to the oil spill. Overall, if you come into this understanding that the primary mission is park related and not highway patrol, call driven, etc, you will find it is a very good job.

11-28-2010, 02:59 AM
Has this position been filled yet? I applied two months ago and not a peep from Tally. I figured that I would have heard a "no you dont meet the requirements" or "you're moving to the next step". Any info would help.

11-28-2010, 11:56 PM
Has this position been filled yet? I applied two months ago and not a peep from Tally. I figured that I would have heard a "no you dont meet the requirements" or "you're moving to the next step". Any info would help.

The best one to contact would be Mona Strickland. She is the one you sent your application to.