PDA

View Full Version : HCSO or Tampa PD Dispatch?

08-08-2010, 05:13 AM
I'm looking into working for HCSO or TPD as a Dispatcher. Can anyone give me info as to Pros/Cons at each center? If I got a final offer from both departments, which one should I take?

Pay seems decent for either department. Same with the benefits.

Thanks!

C.S.

09-27-2010, 11:08 PM
I am retired TPD dispatcher. It depends on what your preference is. At TPD all the dispatchers are multifunctional and in one room for communications with each other when something big is going on. When you go to roll call that is when you find out if you will be on 911 or non-emergency phones, dispatching or wants and warrants frequency etc. From what I understand, at HCSO you pretty much have a "specialty". You either dispatch or answer phones. Personally I like the "guess the position" because it doesn't get so boring, you have a variety and less time to get "burned out" which is a big thing with dispatchers. No matter which agency you decide they both have their rumor mills and gossip groups and trust me.....no one is your true friend it just depends on which click of the week they are running with at the time. As far as benefits go well.....they both measure up about the same. I think HCSO has better days off though. Either way good luck to ya.

11-07-2010, 02:18 AM
I'm looking into working for HCSO or TPD as a Dispatcher. Can anyone give me info as to Pros/Cons at each center? If I got a final offer from both departments, which one should I take?

Pay seems decent for either department. Same with the benefits.

Thanks!

C.S.
well- tampa dispatch is getting damn close to hcso dispatch in terms of following blindingly what ever anyone above you in rank says to say...

for example...answering a 911 phone line---

911 what is your emergency?

vs-

tampa police 911 what is your emergency?

(what a small thing to be written up for repetable after 20 plus years dispatching. but yup- it happens over here at TPD- and i am guessing from my reading- its even worse at HCSO)