PDA

View Full Version : WOW NEW PEREZ ARTICLE

07-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Police chief remains despite criminal probe
Written by ELGIN JONES
WILTON MANORS — The chief of the Wilton Manors Police Department will remain actively on the job, even though city officials have confirmed that he is under criminal investigation for allegations of perjury.

“Yes, I have been made aware there is a criminal investigation, therefore I’m not in a position to comment,” said City Manager Joseph Gallegos, who acknowledged that he first learned of the probe from the South Florida Times.

City policy states that a police department employee who is under criminal investigation will be placed on administrative leave with pay pending the outcome of the investigation.

“The department does have a policy as far as internal affairs investigations,” Gallegos said, “But that is for personnel. The chief runs the department, so it doesn’t necessarily apply.”

Chief Richard E. Perez, 58, who leads a 46-member department, is under criminal investigation by the Broward State Attorney’s Office. The probe centers on allegations of perjury related to testimony that Perez provided in a 2007 civil trial. The alleged crime is a felony.

Perez is a former, 22-year veteran of the Fort Lauderdale Police Department, and was appointed as chief of the Wilton Manors’ department in 2006, becoming the first Hispanic to lead the department.

Gov. Charlie Crist appointed Perez to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement’s Criminal Justice Standards & Training Commission (CJSTC) in 2008. The agency sets standards, and provides certifications and training for law-enforcement agencies statewide.

A governor’s office spokeswoman said the office is looking into the allegations, but would not say what, if any, impact the investigation will have on Perez’s continued service there.

Perez has not responded to questions about the investigation, but sources who requested anonymity have confirmed that Perez is the target of the probe.

“He is aware he is under investigation, but he is not concerned about it,” said a source close to the investigation who did not wish to be named because the investigation is confidential.

Sources say Perez received a communication from prosecutors, informing him that a complaint has been filed, and that he is the target of an investigation. The South Florida Times has requested copies of the communication.

“The City is not aware of the existence of such a communication,” Gallegos said in an email. “By copy of this email to Chief Perez, however, I will make him aware of the public records request you have submitted below.”

The investigation centers on allegations of perjury related to Perez’s testimony in the 2007 civil trial of Philip “Phil” Cameron against Cameron’s former employer, the Fraternal Order of Police union.

Also named in the lawsuit were three union officials: Steve Klapka, James N. Mann and Martin Garcia. Cameron filed the lawsuit, alleging he was fired unjustly after being accused of several offenses, including theft and fraud.

As a result of his termination, Cameron had difficulty finding other employment. A former Fort Lauderdale police officer, Cameron inquired about openings in the Wilton Manors Police Department.

Among other things, during the trial Perez testified that he could not hire Cameron because he didn't have any openings in the department.

“Me, personally, I would hire him in a heartbeat, but I don’t have any openings, but I couldn’t do it on my own,” Perez testified when asked if he was in a position to offer Cameron employment.

An internal memorandum dated January 23, 2009, titled “2008 State of the Police Department,” written by Perez and sent to Gallegos, seems to contradict that testimony.

“I am pleased to report that thanks to our tireless efforts with Human Resources Department, the Police Department has filled all vacancies and for the first time in over twenty (20) years has attained 100% staffing with no vacancies,” Perez wrote in the memo.

“Of the 42 employees of the Wilton Manors Police Department, twenty (20) have been hired by me in the last three (3) years,” Perez also stated in the memo.

Perez also testified that no one had been hired in his department who had been fired from another agency.

“Well, knowing that he’s got a termination hanging over him, it would have to be cleared by my City Manager, which is my boss,” Perez testified in the 2007 trial. “And in eighteen months I’ve been there, nobody that has applied that’s been terminated somewhere else has been given a job.”

Personnel records, however, allegedly show that a number of officers who had been terminated by other departments were hired by the Wilton Manors Police Department.

Among them was Bonnie M. (Deitrick) Owens, who was fired by Pembroke Pines police after failing to pass at the police academy. Another was Scott Jordan, a former Broward Sheriff’s Office detective who was at the center of the Powertrac scandal, in which investigators allegedly cleared cases by pinning them on innocent people.

Cameron and Perez previously worked together as officers in the Fort Lauderdale Police Department, and the two shared a 24-year friendship. The criminal complaint also alleges that Perez’s testimony was designed to help Cameron, who went on to win a $333,688.64 judgment from the union and two of the three officials.

Prosecutors with the Broward State Attorney’s Office would not comment on the investigation, but the South Florida Times has confirmed that Stacy B. Schulman, an assistant state attorney in the Special Investigation Unit, has been combing through records at city hall. She has also subpoenaed other city records, including the personnel files of at least three police officers. All of those officers were fired by different agencies, but were later hired by Perez.

The complaint against Perez was filed by the Police Benevolent Association (PBA) union, which represents police officers in Wilton Manors, among others. Union officials are neither confirming nor denying that they filed the complaint.

“It would be illegal for me to say what, or if, we filed anything,” said Jeff Marano, senior vice president of the Broward County local of the Police Benevolent Association.

“What I can say is that we were preparing for a discipline case involving a demotion in Wilton Manors,” Marano said. “During our research, we discovered there was a similar case, and there was all this documentation, but I can’t say what we did with it.”

Perez is also the subject of an internal investigation into allegations he misused leave time.

“I’m not finished with that yet,” Gallegos said. “On first review, the chief kept very good logs. He doesn’t punch a time clock and spends a lot of time here, and hasn’t taken a vacation in years.”

EJones@SFLTimes.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Pictures Above: Chief Richard E. Perez, above, City Manager Joseph Gallegos, below

07-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Police officer accused of a crime by policy is placed on admin leave, but that doesn’t apply to the chief. I hope your union has a lot to say about this!

07-03-2010, 02:47 AM
City Manager Joseph Gallegos has just set a new standard for stupidity among city officials in Wilton Manors. Basically he is saying that WILTON MANORS POLICE CHIEF RICHARD E PEREZ is above the law and is not bound to adhere to city policy as the other department heads and employees must live by. So Gallegos, Perez can do whatever he wants, violate the law and city policy, and get away with it. You sir are a disgrace to your profession and should be terminated asap.

07-03-2010, 04:21 AM
It's fitting that Phil and Rick drag each other down. When they controlled FOP Lodge 31 they ruled with an iron fist. Any new ideas on how to better the lodge were disregarded by those two which prevented the lodge from growing. They deserve what they get.

07-04-2010, 12:22 AM
City Manager Joseph Gallegos has just set a new standard for stupidity among city officials in Wilton Manors. Basically he is saying that WILTON MANORS POLICE CHIEF RICHARD E PEREZ is above the law and is not bound to adhere to city policy as the other department heads and employees must live by. So Gallegos, Perez can do whatever he wants, violate the law and city policy, and get away with it. You sir are a disgrace to your profession and should be terminated asap.

Refresh my memory but when Ann Barnes, a Asst Department Director, sent out that racist E Mail, didn't she get suspended on the spot? And that was not even a crime. Now the Chief is looking at a possible felony arrest and he still is on active duty. Seems the city manager, Joseph Gallegos, has a double standard when it comes down to a general employee and a police employee. Big Time!

07-04-2010, 05:17 AM
Got to wonder what Mayor Resnick and the other Commissioners are thinking right about now. Chief Richard E Perez just but a big noose around their necks with this investigation as they are running for re-election. The right thing to do is cut the noose loose as soon as possible. For their own survival.

07-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Since our CHIEF PEREZ loves to dedicate parts of the new building in think our new jail should be dedicated to the CHIEF due to the fact that hopefully he will be spending a lot of time in one for PERJURY. Maybe 3 to 5 ? What a LIAR! :devil:

07-05-2010, 02:17 AM
:cop: “The department does have a policy as far as internal affairs investigations,” Gallegos said, “But that is for personnel. The chief runs the department, so it doesn’t necessarily apply.” :cop:

:idea: I am sorry but the rules are suposed to apply to everyone equally. :idea:

07-05-2010, 03:45 PM
The PBA is run by thugs, just as the Florida Labor Council is, the entity that terminated Cameron. Dig deep and you will find that it is all about the money and not much more than that. Really look at their financial statements (who gets paid what, what benefits and perks go to who and how much, how much they spend on hotels and where, who they buy dinner and drinks for, what they expense out and charge back to the union) and that would make a great article.

07-05-2010, 06:08 PM
The PBA is run by thugs, just as the Florida Labor Council is, the entity that terminated Cameron. Dig deep and you will find that it is all about the money and not much more than that. Really look at their financial statements (who gets paid what, what benefits and perks go to who and how much, how much they spend on hotels and where, who they buy dinner and drinks for, what they expense out and charge back to the union) and that would make a great article.

Really? And what was the lawsuit that Cameron filed against the FOP about? MONEY. And what was the alleged perjury by Perez in that lawsuit about? Ding Ding Ding answer MONEY. You may be right there may be another reason this all happened....ummm the word arrogance comes to mind.

Was Cameron a part of some thuggery in the FOP? Did he have expense accounts? Did he charge personal items back to the union that our dues paid for? Why was he fired? I have a good guess. If he had such a good case why did he need Perez's testimony? Please, since you have the inside information, put it all out here. Better yet call the State Attorney and tell them.

07-07-2010, 11:25 PM
How is Chief Perez going to be able to attend all the chiefs meetings and other events with fellow chief's. All will be looking at him and in their minds saying "how can he still be here with all of us? He has disgraced the position of chief and also the badge he represents". Do yourself a favor and hide in your office during the chiefs meetings. They do not want you there.

07-08-2010, 03:58 AM
Rumor is that this investigation has caught the attention of the city of ft lauderdale pension board, one member who HATES rick perez. It would be funny if they pulled his pension for LIFE if he got stuck with a PERJURY charge. What a disgrace to the city of ft lauderdale and wilton manors. His badge should be ripped off today and the spineless city manager, joseph gallegos should be fired for not taking the criminal rick perez, off of the city and taxpayer payroll. Thank you PBA and Jeff Marano for doing the right thing for the agency, community and for law enforcement in general.

07-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Perez has been breaking the rules for a long time now. Charter says he cant work outside jobs....Works at Broward Academy more than at the PD...while getting paid by PD and Academy...teaching Ethics of all things. Isn't it ironic.

07-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Who is teaching TWIDDLE DEE and TWIDDLE DUMB how to fill out a leave slip. :oops: We all know they both have not filled out a slip since they have been there. :shock:

07-22-2010, 02:55 AM
:cop: “The department does have a policy as far as internal affairs investigations,” Gallegos said, “But that is for personnel. The chief runs the department, so it doesn’t necessarily apply.” :cop:

:idea: I am sorry but the rules are suposed to apply to everyone equally. :idea:

Gallegos has to be the dumbest city manager in broward county or even the state. So the POLICE CHIEF RICK PEREZ does not have to abide by personnel rules. WOW. So what rules apply to him or command staff ? Does wilton manors or the city manager have a seperate set of rules fpr PEREZ, COSTELLO and SEIBERT. If so, it is probably the only city in the STATE to have one. But then that figures as those three always thought they were better than the rank and file.Gallegos is another victim of the bully, Richard E Perez!
:cop:

08-04-2010, 10:58 PM
First there was this. And now ... viewtopic.php?f=310&t=101679 (http://forums.leoaffairs.com/viewtopic.php?f=310&t=101679)

08-09-2010, 12:02 AM
If you all cant see this is some BS attack by JM from HPD you're all incompetent.

08-09-2010, 10:33 PM
So I started to read all this and it appers that we have one jerk out there that has a bone with Perez. Funny how the post all appear to be the same. Dude OK get over it

First there was this. And now ... viewtopic.php?f=310&t=101679 (http://forums.leoaffairs.com/viewtopic.php?f=310&t=101679)

08-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Hmmm I have spoken to the two sworn on the board at FLPD and funny thing they are not aware of this news you bring. I also cant find anyone on the board that hates him. Come by the next meeting a ask around before you quote my board. The PBA is a sham for not defending any and all officers that are being convicted on a web site. Its time to go FOP and join a real lodge.

Rumor is that this investigation has caught the attention of the city of ft lauderdale pension board, one member who HATES rick perez. It would be funny if they pulled his pension for LIFE if he got stuck with a PERJURY charge. What a disgrace to the city of ft lauderdale and wilton manors. His badge should be ripped off today and the spineless city manager, joseph gallegos should be fired for not taking the criminal rick perez, off of the city and taxpayer payroll. Thank you PBA and Jeff Marano for doing the right thing for the agency, community and for law enforcement in general.

08-29-2010, 02:10 AM
CBS channel 4 had this on their web site

Wilton Manors Police Chief Under Investigation
WILTON MANORS (CBS4)
AP

The Wilton Manors police chief is under investigation amid reports of perjury dating back to a 2007 civil trail.

A report about the investigation was first published Thursday by the South Florida Times.

Citing sources close to the investigation, the newspaper reported that Chief Richard E. Perez is the target of the probe.

"He is aware he is under investigation, but he is not concerned about it," a source close to the investigation told the newspaper. The source declined to be named because the investigation is confidential, the newspaper wrote.

When asked about the investigation, Wilton Manors police Sgt. Chuck Howard told CBS4.com that they had "been instructed not to comment on the investigation."

The newspaper reports that the investigation stems from a 2007 civil trial in which Perez provided testimony in the trial of Philip "Phil" Cameron. Cameron had filed a claim against the Fraternal Order of Police union, which was his former employer. Cameron said he had been fired unjustly and had been accused of several offenses including fraud and theft. The claim also said he had found it difficult to find work, the newspaper reported.

Perez testified that he had never hired anyone that had been fired by another agency. The criminal complaint against Perez alleges that his testimony was aimed at helping Cameron obtain a $333,688.64 judgment from the union and two other officials named in the suit.

Source: South Florida Times

08-29-2010, 07:40 PM
You can use any name you want but you are the sam e person slaming an officer on this board. You are violating the board rules. You offer no new facts or information on this. The post you provide are the same over and over and one can only think that you are slaming over and over. You are also spaming these boards for own needs and to do damge. Please stop this since it does violate the rulres based on Spaming and Slaming. Please stop !!

WILTON MANORS (CBS4)
AP

The Wilton Manors police chief is under investigation amid reports of perjury dating back to a 2007 civil trail.

A report about the investigation was first published Thursday by the South Florida Times.

Citing sources close to the investigation, the newspaper reported that Chief Richard E. Perez is the target of the probe.

"He is aware he is under investigation, but he is not concerned about it," a source close to the investigation told the newspaper. The source declined to be named because the investigation is confidential, the newspaper wrote.

When asked about the investigation, Wilton Manors police Sgt. Chuck Howard told CBS4.com that they had "been instructed not to comment on the investigation."

The newspaper reports that the investigation stems from a 2007 civil trial in which Perez provided testimony in the trial of Philip "Phil" Cameron. Cameron had filed a claim against the Fraternal Order of Police union, which was his former employer. Cameron said he had been fired unjustly and had been accused of several offenses including fraud and theft. The claim also said he had found it difficult to find work, the newspaper reported.

Perez testified that he had never hired anyone that had been fired by another agency. The criminal complaint against Perez alleges that his testimony was aimed at helping Cameron obtain a $333,688.64 judgment from the union and two other officials named in the suit.

08-30-2010, 12:15 AM
Hey "Guest" - - - :cop: NEWS FLASH :cop: - - -

#1 You are not the moderator of this site so don't act like it.

#2 Reposting what the news media has on their web site is not spamming or slamming when it is factual.

You can use any name you want but you are the sam e person slaming an officer on this board. You are violating the board rules. You offer no new facts or information on this. The post you provide are the same over and over and one can only think that you are slaming over and over. You are also spaming these boards for own needs and to do damge. Please stop this since it does violate the rulres based on Spaming and Slaming. Please stop !!

WILTON MANORS (CBS4)
AP

08-30-2010, 03:17 AM
It is spaming since you are only posting this to help your cause (an attack). You are using this site for your own use. You are not printing news. It is the same data and it can be found on many sites, You ARE ALSO POSTING IN THE NEWS BLOGS AND NONE OF THIS INFORMATION IS NEW. Its just an attack. I am not a moderator but I have notified them and this same posting is Spaming and Slaming. I will contimue to provide them with facts that show what you are doing here. Note you are the only one doing it on the same printed items. Please note in the terms of use that you may register and be permitted more feedom if you are in fact verified. You are not registered which shows this is all fake and a scam. This is not news it is your way to try and hurt.

#2 Reposting what the news media has on their web site is not spamming or slamming when it is factual.

WILTON MANORS (CBS4)
AP

MOD 360
08-31-2010, 02:56 AM
It is spaming since you are only posting this to help your cause (an attack). You are using this site for your own use. You are not printing news. It is the same data and it can be found on many sites, You ARE ALSO POSTING IN THE NEWS BLOGS AND NONE OF THIS INFORMATION IS NEW. Its just an attack. I am not a moderator but I have notified them and this same posting is Spaming and Slaming. I will contimue to provide them with facts that show what you are doing here. Note you are the only one doing it on the same printed items. Please note in the terms of use that you may register and be permitted more feedom if you are in fact verified. You are not registered which shows this is all fake and a scam. This is not news it is your way to try and hurt.

WILTON MANORS (CBS4)
AP

I have reviewed all the complaints submitted and I do not see a violation. There are no accusations, only news paper articles stating that investigations are currently in process. I thank you for your concern of this matter and I do monitor all entries on a daily basis.

09-08-2010, 02:41 AM

WILTON MANORS (CBS4)
AP

I have reviewed all the complaints submitted and I do not see a violation. There are no accusations, only news paper articles stating that investigations are currently in process. I thank you for your concern of this matter and I do monitor all entries on a daily basis.

Thanks Mod 360

09-09-2010, 01:40 AM
Same stuff, same post, same game