PDA

View Full Version : A GOOD OFFICER

THOMAS HOBBES
06-25-2010, 05:41 AM
I am particularly no impressed, by the simplistic way that some “experts” interpreters the standards of what makes a “Good Officer”. Without a doubt, officer safety, knowledge of the Law, adherence to rules and regulations (discipline), and Ethics are the benchmark of a “Good Officer”.

However, I want to direct the attention to another area of a “Good Officer”. Unfortunually, this area is lacking in the Academy’s curriculum and during FTO programs. Although it should come with the profession, in some cases, is not part of the profession.

I will argue that a good Officership, should include the area of “People Skills”. I am not refereeing to people skills in relation to the people we work for: (the community as a whole, made up of law abiding citizens and criminals alike)…. I am referring “people skills” in relation to the people we work with (fellow officers and coworkers).

I argue that individuals who are capable of consistently demonstrate a high degree of job performance, but are instrumental in the hostility in his/ her job community, should never be regarded as a “Good Officer”.

The standard for "Good Officer" status, should go beyond just “saving lives” and being “reliable”. Some officers for some reason, are able to keep you alive in every call, and yet, when they go 05, they kill and destroy the spirit of the entire department. They may be regarded as “Good Officers”, but “Officership” as a profession, encompasses more than “the main thing” (keeping people alive).

I am not suggesting that a sloppy, lazy, inexperienced officer, but who is strong in people skills with his / her peers is the ideal. My point is not about whether being one, or the other. My contention is that Good Officer goes beyond simple Steven Seagal moves.

For this reason, very few people holds the status of “Good Officers”. Respect, Maturity, Self Control, the ability to give others a second change to “probe themselves” when they deserved etc… aren’t things taught in the Academy.

Slanderers, Backstabbers, People driven by Unhealthy Competitions, Arrogants, etc don’t fit the mold of “Good Officers”….

I guess I have just shared enough of what a “Good Officer” shouldn’t be. On the other hand, let me share what I think a “Good Officer” should be.

In a simple line: A Good Officer should be the Example.

No just in job performance, but in character as well. Each officer should embody in herself/himself the Fullness of what this profession is all about and not just a part of it. This profession stands for Service, Fairness, Courtesy, Dedication, Trust, Professionalism, and something very important…Character. To destroy a fellow officer’s reputation, is precisely a demonstration of a “Lack of Character”.

We all have heard before others saying “well... at the end I show up to work, not to make friends”. The reality is that this profession has a long lasting sacred tradition of “Camaraderie”.

This Profession doesn’t accept the mentality of “me” or “I”. or the Mentality of "Holier Than Thou". Police work has never being designed to be the work of “one”. This Profession demands a “Team Work” mentality. Those who one day made the desicion to wear the badge and the uniform, have made the decission to be part of a team, not to divide it and split it, but to strengh it and improve it.

Thus, a “Good Officer”, understands his Profession as such, understands the need for maintaining good Camaraderie.

In good spirit,

Thomas Hobbes.