PDA

View Full Version : political scapegoat for nugent votes

06-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Dispatcher in Hernando murder call disciplined
By Tony Marrero, Times Staff Writer
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 02:08 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
xPrintEmailPostRepublishStory Tools
Comment on this story Contact the editor
Email Newsletters
Social Bookmarking
Buzz up!ShareThis
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Related Links
Audio: Listen to the 911 call
911 call released for body buried in Spring Hill yard
Featured

'He is digging him out of the ground'
Judge Lifts Drilling Ban, Future Still Uncertain
Raw Video: BP Exec. VP Heckled at Oil Conference
Times Square Car Bomb Suspect Pleads Guilty
Breaking down Bucs minicamp
Rays look beyond St. Pete
Vicitims identified in 8-vehicle crash on U.S. 19
Sopranos Actor Arrested, Charged With DUI
Sandwich Shop Hoisted Sky-high for WTC Workers
"Unique" robber strikes three stores in Brandon
Event falls short of setting new bikini parade world record
BP Opens Drilling Rig to Cameras
Tornado Barrels Through Billings, Rips Roof from Arena
Witnesses Describe Firing Squad Execution
BP's Hayward at Hearing: 'Deeply Sorry'
A journey through Balm-Boyette Scrub Preserve
Gadget Guy - Using the Eye-Fi wireless digital camera card
Three people injured in I-75 crash
Love It or Hate It, Vuvuzela Not Going Away
Firefighters battle blaze at Port of Tampa
Unidentified man struck and killed in Clearwater
"People can learn from our mistakes."
Gulf Residents Wait for Action on Oil Spill
2 People Detained With Weapons at MacDill AFB
Officials: Latest Ybor City blaze accidental
3-year old found in pool
The ghost whisperer
Coast Guard to BP: Speed It Up, Stop the Spill
Fans Across the Globe Celebrate World Cup Start
Carlos Pena on end of home run streak
Commercial fishermen rally for relief from oil spill in Hernando Beach
Clearwater Beach clean, pristine and untouched by oil
The Debate Over Cleaning Oil-covered Birds
Couple found dead in Clearwater
PETA protests glue traps with "Giant Rat"
Witness: I was forced into prostitution
Facebook Helps Mom Find Kids Missing for 15 Yrs.
7-foot alligator removed from Tampa middle school
Trying out for the Lingerie Football League
Officers raid bikini bar for nudity violations
Canine units take to the water
Panhandlers react to new St. Petersburg ordinance
Frugal brides-to-be line up for gowns
Eight pulled from sinking boat
American Idol's Michael Lynche visits hometown
Authorities 'arrest' gator in East Lake
Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary ready to help
New Oil Reporter app for iPhone, iPad and Android
Publix shooter caught on tape
Writer Michael Gannon's play about Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
This dog can dance
Police seek suspected serial robbers
Citizens discuss crime, libraries at mayor's breakfast
Official view inside Lancaster Correctional Institution
Yzerman named Lightning GM
A family pleads for witnesses
A family affair: Mom, sons arrested for robbery
'Poppa Love' gets life sentence
USF research vessel heads to gulf to study oil spill
New underwater video released of oil leak
Gruden back in his domain
Gator bites handler during show
Large alligator captured in Clearwater
Mystery Monkey up close in St. Pete
Monkey eludes capture yet again
Bald eaglet gets new Dunedin family home
Clearwater woman bitten but escapes alligator
John Graziano is released from hospital 2 years after crash

BROOKSVILLE — Within an hour of the chaotic 911 call from a sister reporting that one of her brothers had killed another brother and buried him in the family's yard, the dispatcher with the Hernando County Sheriff's Office was counseled on how she could have better handled the situation, officials said Wednesday.

Jessica Vore, a veteran dispatcher for the Hernando County Sheriff's Office, has received the lowest level of disciplinary action for her handling of the call that came in Monday, said Chief Bill Kicklighter, director of communications.

"We immediately had some concerns about the order in which she was handling things," Kicklighter said.

The sister of Stanley Eckard and Sean Eckard called and said Stanley, 21, had killed 19-year-old Sean and buried him in the yard of the Eckard's home on Peoria Street in Spring Hill. The father, Sam Eckard, had just unearthed the body, the sister told the dispatcher.

"He is digging him out of the ground," she said in a cracking voice. "Oh my God. He's screaming. He's over the body."

The sister, whose identity has not been released or independently confirmed, was clearly distraught, shouting into a cell phone to other people in the house, who were shouting back.

About 60 seconds of the call was redacted from the version released to the media to comply with law that requires the protection of the caller's identity. During those seconds, Vore asks the woman to verify the address, Kicklighter said.

Vore did that correctly and the response time was not affected, Kicklighter said. But then Vore started to ask questions about what happened between the brothers.

"I need to find out what's going on at this house before I send anybody there," Vore said at one point.

The answers to those questions would likely be valuable in an ensuring investigation, Kicklighter said, but Vore should have made it clear that deputies were already responding. She does so about four minutes into the call.

"It would have been helpful if she said that a lot sooner," Kicklighter said. "After she obtained the address, she should have told the caller that we have units on the way. That typically will calm a caller down. We don't delay the response to ask questions. It sounds like to the average listener we're not doing anything until we get these questions answered."

Vore also seems to grow impatient and brusque with the caller as she struggled to understand what the woman was saying. She was counseled to modulate her voice to communicate more compassion during a chaotic situation, Kicklighter said.

"You don't hear that come out as much in the beginning, but she's human, and her goal is try to find out what's going on," he said.

Vore was forced to ask the caller to repeat information, such as the names of the brothers, several times. The woman was talking loudly and into the cell phone, causing some distortion, but officials also replaced Vore's headset as a precaution, Kicklighter said. He also noted that the tapes of the call are typically clearer than the call itself.

Kicklighter noted that the information Vore was getting in this call was unlike the hundreds of others she takes each year.

"Your brain doesn't expect to hear the pieces you're hearing," he said.

"When you watch a movie for the second time you always see or hear things you didn't catch the first time because you know the story, and we know that's the case when we Monday-morning quarterback a calltaker. That doesn't deny the fact that we think she should have handled it better."

A copy of the post-call employee interview report will be placed in Vore's personnel file. If she receives no more action within a year, the document is purged from the file, Kicklighter said.

"It's more focused on counseling than discipline," he said.

Vore has been a dispatcher with the sheriff's office since 1995 and has handled "thousands of calls" in her career, Kicklighter said. Kicklighter described Vore as an employee in good standing without any major blemishes.

Vore was suspended without pay in 2007 after she accidentally muted the speakers on her computer while looking at photos from a sheriff's office party. In the process, she also muted the 911 alert tone and as she looked at the photos, an emergency call came in, Kicklighter said. Vore recognized the error, tried to contact the caller and then reported the incident to a supervisor, he said.

"She is a very conscientious employee and she beats herself up more than we or the media ever could," Kicklighter said. "She's the type of employee that takes it to heart."

Vore did not immediately respond to a request through Kicklighter for comment.

Stanley Eckard has been charged with second-degree murder.

Tony Marrero can be reached at (352) 848-1431 or tmarrero@sptimes.com.

[Last modified: Jun 23, 2010 02:39 PM]

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2010 St. Petersburg Times

Folks its another political scapegoat for votes for nugent for congress.

06-23-2010, 10:55 PM
What a crock of nonsense.Guys and girls be careful.Nugent will be writing anyone up for anything as he runs for congress,so he can look good and be no part of anything negative.

07-08-2010, 09:04 PM
What a crock of nonsense.Guys and girls be careful.Nugent will be writing anyone up for anything as he runs for congress,so he can look good and be no part of anything negative.
It's cause it made big time news and he's flexing his muscles. Too bad Jeff doesn't get what's coming to him. He always gets away with stuff. Yet he kept Emily in place after she ran people off the road while drunk and drugged while driving. Those on scene were wrong with not arresting her, as her record now shows. She got what she deserved and is a very poor example for Nugent to stick up for. But Tricky ****y was right, she knows too much and that's why he did nothing to her. This place is so unfair and messed up. Went from bad to worse and it's not getting any better not by a long shot. TM (he's grandfathered in) the dude who's on the road is always smoking in his car. I've seen it and it's been reported to brass but nothing happens to him either. Just watch what happens at the jail now. My predictions are well known.

07-09-2010, 03:28 AM
Understand this,Its who you are here,not what you do.Trust me on this!!!I wish I can open up more,but I have a family as well and bills to pay.

07-26-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm with you bro.
Understand this,Its who you are here,not what you do.Trust me on this!!!I wish I can open up more,but I have a family as well and bills to pay.