PDA

View Full Version : hiring

06-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Anyone recently hired? I'm interested in applying to your agency and would like to know how the process worked. Thank you

06-15-2010, 11:37 PM
I was recently hired. I had my neighbor call the gov, who called the sec and now I am a supervisor. I love this state.

06-16-2010, 01:12 AM
I appreciate information from all sources, even people who live in their mothers basement, play video games all day, and pretend to be LEOs while blogging on line.
As stated in the original post, I would like to hear from real LEOs who have been recently hired by DEP. Everything I have seen or heard about the agency and it's officers have been overall positive. I am interested in applying to the agency and want to know how the hiring process went.

06-18-2010, 04:54 PM
I wanted to get job with DEP also. unfortunatly my cert is going to expire soon. They don't seem to have many openings. You will have to look here for an open position in your area, then apply. : http://www.dep.state.fl.us/law/careers/vacancies.htm

Good luck. I have heard mostly positive things about the agency if you can live with the salary.

06-19-2010, 12:46 PM
I was recently hired. I had my neighbor call the gov, who called the sec and now I am a supervisor. I love this state.

I know of at least two offciers who got their jobs with DEP in this fashion. One didn't exactly know the govenor, but he does know a state senator who got him the job close to home. DEP even had to rearrange positions within the district so he could work in his home county.

The other officer, well lets just say that SHE gots it because........

06-19-2010, 03:27 PM
There are several positions in each state agency filled by being "someone" or being the friend of "someone." If you started as a Lt or above, chances are good that your position was given and not earned. It is the very reason state LE is in such pitiful condition today. If an agency doesn't produce people worthy of promotion, then the agency failed - not the employee.

06-22-2010, 01:53 AM
Actually DEP makes pretty good money, 31 thousand/year, for doing nothing is good money.

06-24-2010, 11:21 PM
To "Real Cop" and the others who come on this forum criticizing DEP, get over yourself. I don't care how great you think you are or how tough your job is, you come on this forum for a reason. You sound like you're going through "DEP Envy". The Officers and Investigators of DEP are good people and do the job they are assigned.

06-30-2010, 12:50 AM
Way to keep the park safe from people who don't pay the entry fee and let their chihuahuas walk off leash. Way to call real cops when you need help in your little parks.

You guys wont even exist in 5 yrs anyway.

06-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Way to keep the park safe from people who don't pay the entry fee and let their chihuahuas walk off leash. Way to call real cops when you need help in your little parks.

You guys wont even exist in 5 yrs anyway.

I don't understand these types of immature comments. I don't think a DEP officer compares himself or herself to a city cop or deputy. Why would they? They are "real cops" but in a specialized Law Enforcement mission. The same with all other state LEO's. Most of them probably wouldn't want to work in a city dept. (not to say they can't). I would try to work for them if I could handle the pay.

That comment "You guys wont even exist in 5 yrs anyway" does sound like job envy or someone who failed the process.

07-07-2010, 12:58 AM
I am not criticizing, but, having been a LEO in a county that has DEP officers, I have yet to see one at the booking room or saliport. I see FWC officers, FHP, DOT officers, and City PD all the time. You'd think I'd bumped into a DEP officer at least once in ten years. Also I would have thought I would have read something in the paper about DEP arresting someone or doing anything in reference to law enforcement. :?:

It’s an observation, not a condemnation of DEP officers, so don't jump on me for being against DEP officers. I just have never seen one in action.

07-07-2010, 02:10 AM
I was a police officer on a department in Hillsborough County for over 20 years. During that time, I have made many arrests, been in numerous foot and vehicle pursuits, involved in quite a few knock down drag outs, been a patrol officer, street crimes detective, property crimes detective, received numerous commendations and awards, etc. The bottom line is, get over yourself. I see postings on here about "REAL POLICE OFFICERS doing REAL POLICE WORK". It is easy to sling criticism at anyone. DEP is a specialized law enforcement agency. Their duty does not include serving warrants, shoplifting at Wal-Mart, drugs in the hood, etc. For that matter, officers and deputies in many agencies fall in the same category. In many agencies, motor officers, detectives, and other specialty units don't work calls such as shoplifiting and other calls.
For myself, I am applying at DEP and if they hire me, I will feel fortunate. Get over your DEP envy.

I am not criticizing, but, having been a LEO in a county that has DEP officers, I have yet to see one at the booking room or saliport. I see FWC officers, FHP, DOT officers, and City PD all the time. You'd think I'd bumped into a DEP officer at least once in ten years. Also I would have thought I would have read something in the paper about DEP arresting someone or doing anything in reference to law enforcement. :?:

It’s an observation, not a condemnation of DEP officers, so don't jump on me for being against DEP officers. I just have never seen one in action.

07-08-2010, 01:56 AM
Just FYI Everyone,

I have been a LEO with a very large Police Agency for 25 + years.20 + in Command Positons.I did all the jobs just like the above poster.DEP/DLE is a excellent Law Enforcement Agency,their training,support staff,equipment,weapons,vehicles and most of all their Command Officers from the Lts to the Director are outstanding.Yes,their mission is different,but just as important.I am now a proud member of their group and it is great.When they post for LEO jobs,apply and you will see what I am talking about.

07-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Just FYI Everyone,

I have been a LEO with a very large Police Agency for 25 + years.20 + in Command Positons.I did all the jobs just like the above poster.DEP/DLE is a excellent Law Enforcement Agency,their training,support staff,equipment,weapons,vehicles and most of all their Command Officers from the Lts to the Director are outstanding.Yes,their mission is different,but just as important.I am now a proud member of their group and it is great.When they post for LEO jobs,apply and you will see what I am talking about.

so to sum it up

DEP....a great place to go after you retire......

07-09-2010, 01:45 AM
Just FYI Everyone,

so to sum it up

Hahahahahahaha! I was looking at theses posts and thinking the same thing!

07-09-2010, 02:23 AM
You got it. (:

07-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Just FYI Everyone,

so to sum it up

Hahahahahahaha! I was looking at theses posts and thinking the same thing!

In fact, it is a great place to work whether you are retired or not.

Let's examine the facts of a typical Police Officer's day. If you are on a decent sized agency and not on a specialty unit, your day consists of running from one call to the next involving:
After the fact auto thefts, burglaries, criminal mischiefs, etc. Before you can write the reports, you are dispatched to a:
domestic, shoplifting, auto crash, etc. When you complete that, if you still have time in the day/night, you either:
run radar/laser, look for drug offenses, etc. If on night shift, you then either:
look for DUIs or check businesses and residential neighborhoods for the rest of the night.
This is "REAL POLICE WORK".
The advantage to DEP, is overall you are not dispatched to most of these type calls and you are free to conduct more self initiated activity if you desire.