PDA

View Full Version : Pension contribution increase

charliepapa3
06-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Let me start off by congratulating Miami Springs Police as being the department with the highest pension contribution in all of south florida at 15.2% starting Oct. 1. Its is incredible, that in a time like this, the officers who risk their lives protecting this city are getting shafted by the administration they work for only because the adminstration doesn't have the courage to stand up for their officers or because they basically don't care. The administration are only looking out for themselves and those in their "circle". Not only to mention we have two PBA reps who are not on the same page in trying to resolve this pension and contract situation. It is time for the city politicians to step up to the plate and help the police officers who helped them get elected into office. We need to unite together, as one voice, and let the city officials and administrators know that we will not let them take advantage of us and that we are in this fight for the long run. As officers, we don't ask for much, just an opportunity to make a decent living and to be treated the as the other officers in other positions within the department (no favoritism).

07-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Currently officers contribute 10.5% of their salaries to a pension that is NOT in compliance with Florida State Statute minimum standards. Beginning on October 1, 2010, officers will contribute 15.2% to a pension that will still NOT be in compliance with State Statute. The officers found this out by obtaining copies of minutes from a pension board meeting. No one in the administration, either the Police or City, has officially told the officers that they are about to take a 4.7% pay cut so that they can start planning ahead. This is just one of many examples of the disregard shown to the rank and file.

The City of Miami Springs is currently working on the second annual budget without sitting down to negotiate with the police. They did it for the 2009-2010 fiscal year and they are at it again. The officers are well aware that the entire country, not to mention other countries as well, are in budget and financial crisis. But to be totally disregarded, to have projects such as the irrigation of the golf course (which had a system) footlights on the bike path (that don't illuminate anything), and sundry other projects take importance over employee salaries is disgraceful.

The Miami Springs Police Department is staffed by professional men and women who bring a level of knowledge and dedication to their jobs that does not seem to be appreciated by the city administration. If the administration, not to mention the residents, were aware of what is prevented, on a daily basis, from occurring in this fair city they would shudder. Thankfully, they have a thin blue line protecting them from their bucolic lives and the insanity of Miami-Dade County. Question is, do they care?

12-10-2010, 02:53 PM
It's ok guys
When Rick Scott takes over in January every agency in the state will be in the same boat.

The days of getting a free pension from FRS are over. We are probably going to go to a 401K type of pension
like everyone else. :devil:

12-26-2010, 05:20 AM
It's ok guys
When Rick Scott takes over in January every agency in the state will be in the same boat.

The days of getting a free pension from FRS are over. We are probably going to go to a 401K type of pension

Do not forget Ricky's promise to lower property taxes by 19% across the board. And to privatize the corrections dept. Remember Arizona's private prison let three go free causing 2 people their lives? So when further cuts get's you laid off, you can become a jailer for 8 bucks an hour and no pension. And ricky has a 300 million dollar golden parachute from the hospital company busted for the biggest medicare fraud in history. Now aren't you happy you voted fr him?

01-31-2011, 11:03 PM
It's ok guys

Do not forget Ricky's promise to lower property taxes by 19% across the board. And to privatize the corrections dept. Remember Arizona's private prison let three go free causing 2 people their lives? So when further cuts get's you laid off, you can become a jailer for 8 bucks an hour and no pension. And ricky has a 300 million dollar golden parachute from the hospital company busted for the biggest medicare fraud in history. Now aren't you happy you voted fr him?

Well 401k sounds better than what we have now, at least I will be able to heep my money and not be force to contirbute 15.2%. While the chief and others keep draining the pension dry. Oh and dont forget the city manager who has the chief in his pocket and makes more money that other city mangers for a city our size.

02-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Here we go again, the first month of the year 2011 is gone and no word on the PBA about our issues with the pension. It will be october again before you know it and here comes another pension increase. What are we risking our lifes for, when pretty soon we wont even able to provide our families with a descent leaving. I rather keep my life and do something else and atleast my children will have a parent to raise them.

Bottom line is the city knows they are in violation of the pesions statue 185 and will do nothing to correct it. We are not asking for a raise, just for the pesion to be fixed. Lets make it public and let the residents know how we are getting screwed by the city. Lets exposed the people responsible for this. Its time to make our voices heard.

02-08-2011, 11:06 PM
It's time to go to the media and expose this city for what it is!!

02-10-2011, 02:54 PM
What is happening with the PBA? What are our PBA REPS doing? Yea I know this are the trillion dollar questions.

02-11-2011, 04:35 PM
CHIEF ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS HELP US FIX THE PENSION. YOU HAVE BEEN SITTING ON THAT PENSION BOARD FOR YEARS WHILE THE CITY HAS BEEN STICKING IT TO THE REST OF US.

STAND UP FOR YOUR OFFICERS. IF YOU DON'T STAND UP FOR US NOW, WE WON'T STAND UP FOR YOU LATER. :roll:

02-12-2011, 11:37 PM
HAHAHAHA! That chief will never stand up for us! That guy only cares about himself and saving the department 75 cents so he looks good to the city manager.

02-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Don't despair folks.....I recently spoke to Future Mayor Garcia and he advised that he's gonna make everything all better :devil:

02-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Fire El Jefe and hire a real chief like the county has!

03-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Don't despair folks.....I recently spoke to Future Mayor Garcia and he advised that he's gonna make everything all better :devil:

All this politician talk talk crap, but when its time to act they dont do crap. What did this council do for us, we backed them and they have done nothing for the police officers of this city. Dont tell that it has taken them this long to figure out all of the scamming that the city manager and his clan have been doing for years and years.

Oscar tell your buddies that its time to act or shut up. Done playing bull crap pilitical games. If not I hope they all lose. Petralanta for mayor!

06-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Guys, don't worry Oscar will fix everything soon. Stay tuned! Pigs will fly, trust me!

12-02-2012, 02:52 AM
Guys don't give up the FRS the city is pushing you guys to leave the state plan in order to avoid paying into it. They rather deal with a tradional 401k than FRS. Fight it through your union, don't give up anything Bcs you'll never get it back. Unite and fight it. Rick Scott's days are numbered as Governor of this state. The courts will uphold the prior ruling by the courts to stop the 3% FRS contributions by police officers, the city has to pay the entire portion, that's we put our lives on the line everyday.