PDA

View Full Version : starcom

06-10-2010, 02:51 PM
I was wondering how STARCOM is working for your agancy. Our agency is looking into going to it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

06-10-2010, 10:59 PM
If you go to this, good luck make sure you have enough Tums.

06-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Yeah, its micomanaging at its best. We need a Sheriff that gets back to the basics.. Good Ol fashion law enforcing. Not this smoke and mirrors crap that makes good people wanna throw up......

06-12-2010, 02:42 AM
Starcom turns everything into a numbers game and how to manipulate those numbers. Basic law enforcement is thrown out the window and everyone is just micro-manageing everything to make their graphs look as good as they can. Alot of jumping thru hoops.....it might work for large agencys like NYC on the major issues but, our agency took it to nit-picking everything!

06-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Our agency should be named wackenhut p.d.We are basically glorified secutrity jobs,or sales people.We sell the sheriffs office to the people for the sheriff.I never knew I would be in sales as an occupation lol lol lol :snicker: :snicker: :snicker: :snicker:

06-12-2010, 07:26 PM
The problem with your question isn't the question, it's where you posted it. This board has basically become the "stage" that the agency's lowest performers and loudest whiners congregate. STARCOM has been outstanding for our agency. It ensures that everyone knows that performance matters and that someone is watching. For 95% of the personnel, it's an opportunity to show how you shine on a daily basis. For the other 5% (those whiners on this board almost daily), it's a "numbers game", because they were the slackers to begin with. If you just do your job, do good police work and communicate well with the citizens we serve, STARCOM is great. It has improved countless processes and efficiencies for our agency, including the most important one - crime is down, again.

If your agency is considering it, don't hesitate. It's a great program. Good luck to you!

06-13-2010, 05:52 PM
And this is a typical brown nosers response. Listen to the others. It's micromanaging at its best.
The problem with your question isn't the question, it's where you posted it. This board has basically become the "stage" that the agency's lowest performers and loudest whiners congregate. STARCOM has been outstanding for our agency. It ensures that everyone knows that performance matters and that someone is watching. For 95% of the personnel, it's an opportunity to show how you shine on a daily basis. For the other 5% (those whiners on this board almost daily), it's a "numbers game", because they were the slackers to begin with. If you just do your job, do good police work and communicate well with the citizens we serve, STARCOM is great. It has improved countless processes and efficiencies for our agency, including the most important one - crime is down, again.

If your agency is considering it, don't hesitate. It's a great program. Good luck to you!

06-14-2010, 12:33 AM
According to FDLE we were down 14% in 2009. STARCOM was implemented in 2003 and since that time the numbers have been like a rollercoaster. I would agree with a previous poster that it works well in largeer jurisdictions that have the necessary resources to draw from. Unfortunately here it is robbing peter to pay paul. If your agancy is really serious about going to this they need the buy-in of all the people involved not just the ones that sit in their ivory tower........

06-16-2010, 12:33 PM
http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statistics-Darrell-Huff/dp/0393310728/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1276691482&sr=8-1-fkmr2

I saw this book on 101's desk :D :D

06-16-2010, 01:35 PM
My issue is with a few of those trying to push the "procactive" mentality. I question a system that promotes based on a test and not based on a test AND the numbers you have produced in your career. I have a hard time hearing a few "push for numbers" when they weren't balls of fire when they were on the road...to include a few current LTs.

06-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Folks,for the last time,the agency does not want proactivety.They want you to answer your calls and go home.Just answer and be a good saleman and pass out your card with Nugents name.We are sales police unit.We dont have the real crime like tampa,new york,and chicago have.If your looking to crack open heads with a night stick and the rest of nonsense,your in the wrong place.Just smile and sell sell sell sell Hernando county sheriffs office.And also take a report when your supposed to and dont blow off the mailbox smashing.Take a report and smile and youll be fine besides the politics and crookedness.

06-27-2010, 05:15 PM
it seems everyone has the same response to this starcom, impact, stat crap or what ever you want to call it. it is all about numbers and if you dont get your numbers you get into trouble. foooie. get ride of this garbage and get back to good ole cop work. it only works in big metro agencies not our typical florida agencies. i work north of you guys and we are having the same problems with this garbage.

06-30-2010, 05:18 AM
All starcom is ,is a way to make up more stats to justify our budget and more deputies.Starcom stats is a game and is micromanaging.Get rid of more brass and supervisors as we dont need so many.We are micromanaged like a bunch of babies.

07-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Starcom is such a great system that even our murder rate has went up.We need to get back to real police work.Starcom is joke.This is hernando county not L.A.P.D.Its a micromanagement style of leadership to get the monkey off the back and pass the buck!!!get some backbones brass!!

07-07-2010, 12:36 PM
IF you want to work here,I would go to the jail.At least you can be able to do your job and go home.Shouldnt be as political as an employee with inmates,except with the people you work with and who you are.

07-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Hey jogger 12 - tell me how your good old police work would prevent the homicides from happening. It wouldn't, no matter how much of a superiority complex you have. I've been a cop for a lot of years, and STARCOM has only helped things in my opinion. I do my job, so the numbers take care of themselves. The reality is, STARCOM helps identify the slackers out there, which most of you complaining are probably part of. But hey, here's an idea - don't like STARCOM? Then LEAVE! Nobody is making you stay. I know, you are too chicken to do that - you'd rather just complain continually and anonymously.

07-08-2010, 01:22 AM
All starcom is ,is a way to make up more stats to justify our budget and more deputies.Starcom stats is a game and is micromanaging.Get rid of more brass and supervisors as we dont need so many.We are micromanaged like a bunch of babies.
:D You are exactly right. And if we tell the truth about the place you have some anonymous GUEST complaining about others posting anonymously.
To the anonymous GUEST whose full of it......grow some of your own and get out of Tricky ****y's rear end. You are a brown noser. :cop: 8)

07-08-2010, 02:10 AM
You think anyone would post there true name?are you crazy?That would be career suicide!!!!you would be in district 3 on midnights for life!!!and wrote up for everything!!!Whoever wrote to post your real name is a weasel!!!

07-08-2010, 05:18 AM
Just reading your idiotic logic is getting old. You complainers say you must remain anonymous or you'll be the recipient of crappy shifts - and your response to anyone that actually stands up for what is right and likes working for the agency is calling them a brown-noser. You pathetic losers actually believe the crap that spews from your brain. Wow... you will never be happy, no matter what happens.

By the way, I recall several deputies actively supporting Nugent's opponent in previous elections, yet they are still here and have not been sanctioned to midnight shift - EVER. The proof is in the pudding - he is the professional and doesn't deserve the stupid, false claims that some of you like to spout off about. Just go work elsewhere if what you are saying is so true - why would you want to be here? The majority of us don't want you here. Truth is, you'd be complaining no matter where you work.

07-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Great post............to show the world what kind of crappy attitudes we have to deal with. You are full of hatred and think belittling people is how to interact with them. You are grossly mistaken, dirtbag.
For your birthday you will get a case of wet wipes to wipe that shite off your nose, brown noser.

Just reading your idiotic logic is getting old. You complainers say you must remain anonymous or you'll be the recipient of crappy shifts - and your response to anyone that actually stands up for what is right and likes working for the agency is calling them a brown-noser. You pathetic losers actually believe the crap that spews from your brain. Wow... you will never be happy, no matter what happens.

By the way, I recall several deputies actively supporting Nugent's opponent in previous elections, yet they are still here and have not been sanctioned to midnight shift - EVER. The proof is in the pudding - he is the professional and doesn't deserve the stupid, false claims that some of you like to spout off about. Just go work elsewhere if what you are saying is so true - why would you want to be here? The majority of us don't want you here. Truth is, you'd be complaining no matter where you work.

DO NOT VOTE FOR NUGENT TO GOT TO DC...HE'LL SCREW MORE PEOPLE THERE THAN HE HAS IN HERNANDO COUNTY! HE'S A NO GOOD POS!

07-09-2010, 03:23 AM
Your right,Nugent doesnt care about us.I know first hand.I would never say who I am,but trust me,I have seen and witnessed things that are so crazy from the sheriff.He is out for himself.He is a sheriff and will stomp on anyone who makes him look bad.The admin. has to breathe like him and act like him ,so yes we are puppets on astring that goes downhill.And to the company man above.You have no idea what your talking about.I can name a list of 15 names of people who he screwed over here.I can name several who had the target on them for supporting someone else or for mentioning issues.GO away! and go back to walmart or wherever you came from.

07-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Be very careful Detectives of this not so catchy STARCOM acronym. Just a continuation on NYC's COMPSTAT along with LA,New Orleans ,Broward etc etc etc. The only problem is with Hernando SO is that this Garbage in Garbage out crime pattern and statistics identifying program has been tried and disposed of by these places with devastating results.

The Broward Sheriffs Office, the largest SO in the state of Florida had their own version of this nonsense from 1997-until it died in 2003. Their catchy acronym was called POWERTRAC which they service marked. POWERTRAC or Provide Objectives Where Enforcement Resources Target Responses Against Crime, see I told you it was catchy LOL! The only problem is the command staff got a little overzealous (an understatement) using district commanders as punching bags in front of a studio audience. Thats right a studio audience, they constructed a game show studio just like on the Price is Right! Needless to say all 17 districts had there fair share of this and it trickled down to the rank and file. It was also used as a way to identify free thinkers and problem solvers and that is who got promoted. With that being said every suck @$$ in the agency became like Ford, they had a better idea and began downgrading crimes, burglaries became criminal mischiefs, civil matters or pended exceptionally cleared, robberies became thefts, rapes became failure to pay and so on and so on. As a result 9 detectives were criminally charged with various charges resulting in 5 convictions for perjury, official misconduct.

Be careful rank and file deputy's and detectives, don't let these empty suits above you pressure you and hang you out to dry.

Be patient brothers and sisters it will end soon.

What these administrative pinheads don't realize in your agency is that they aren't reinventing the wheel, it has been tried and tossed and most importantly.........When you take credit for numbers when crime is down you have to take credit for them when times are bad.

07-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Awesome post!!!!!so true!!!