PDA

View Full Version : Cape Coral police chief calling it a career

05-13-2010, 11:48 AM
http://www.news-press.com/article/20100513/NEWS0101/100513002/1075/Cape-Coral-police-chief-calling-it-a-career

Cape Coral police Chief Rob Petrovich is retiring in June after four years in the department’s top job.

“I have decided that after 26 years of service to the city of Cape Coral, it is time for me to call it a career and retire from the Cape Coral Police Department,” Petrovich, 57, said in a statement.

During Petrovich’s tenure as chief, Cape Coral experienced a 15.7 percent decrease in major crime in 2009 and a 9.4 percent decrease in 2008.

City spokeswoman Connie Barron said that Petrovich’s decision is not a surprise. She said Petrovich signed up for the Deferred Retirement Option Program, which sets a specific timetable for retirement and helps set up retirement funds.

Members of the City Council said they are sorry to see Petrovich go.

“I think we’re losing a good man. He’s done a good job,” said Mayor John Sullivan. He said City Manager Carl Schwing will start the process of picking a replacement when the retirement is official.

“I’m going to miss him,” said Councilman Bill Deile. “We’d established a rapport. We had a reduced crime rate.”

Petrovich is highly regarded by his comrades in law enforcement.

“We’ve worked together for 26 years,” said Assistant Chief Jay Murphy. “He’s done a lot of good for the city and the department. I’m sure his leadership will be missed.”

Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott, in an e-mail to The News-Press, said he had a great working relationship with Petrovich.

“Working closely with him and his command staff at the levels I have, I can personally attest to his focus, commitment and competence,” Scott said. “As a law enforcement peer and a native of Lee County, I appreciate and respect his many years of exemplary service.”

Petrovich said that, “Cape Coral is a wonderful community. I would like to thank all of the citizens who have supported their police department during my time as an officer. ... The city has grown and changed so much since I started here on June 25, 1984.”

“ ... I want to thank the many officers and civilians in the Cape Coral Police Department who I have had the privilege of working with. ... I know that they will continue to represent this department with honor and pride.”

Petrovich was appointed chief just before one of the department’s most challenging cases — the Cash Feenz case involving the kidnapping, torture and murder of Alexis and Jeffrey Sosa in October 2006. Ten people were arrested, and nine have been found guilty. One defendant is trying to withdraw his guilty plea.

Petrovich also will be remembered for his compassion and concern for motorcycle Officer Damien Garcia, who suffered life-threatening head injuries in a crash while on duty last year. The chief often was by Garcia’s bedside and visited him and his family after his release from the hospital.

Also during Petrovich’s watch, police in July moved out of old, cramped quarters on Nicholas Parkway into a new $19.1 million headquarters on Cultural Park Boulevard.

One blemish on the department came this year when Petrovich’s son, former Officer Stephen Petrovich, and former Sgt. James O’Brien pleaded guilty in a federal mortgage fraud case. They are awaiting sentencing.

05-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Chief,
You will be missed. I hope the next is as anywhere near as good as you.
god speed

05-22-2010, 06:21 AM
later dude hope you are proud of your son and his best friend Jimmy.O :oop

he was so cool on SWAT :roll:

We appreciate the image they left for the rest of us. :evil:

06-07-2010, 02:01 AM
Maybe they will hold a neighborhood roll call in your neighborhood if they remember you