PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Tasers

03-03-2010, 03:10 AM
San Francisco Police Chief George Gascon has challenged the city's Police Commission saying that it was "Inexcusable and negligent to deny officers a less-lethal means of dealing with dangerous suspects."

At least they have a Chief who is honest and competent. Wow, a chief that is for public safety and the protection of his officers instead of one who tries to avoid decisions and responsibility.

03-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Stirring up the hornets nest I see. Yes, I agree having a taser is certainly a down fall, but oh well life goes on. Okay now lets now go back to the real fact at hand. You’re a Police Officer, you are given tools to help you perform your duties. These tools are for your safety and the safety of the public. This my fellow brother is were your completely wrong, which I’m certain that you were right sometime ago but got lost somewhere. Officer safety doesn’t matter what tools are attached to your duty belt. Officer safety is sitting between your ears. Going home after every watch depends on how you operate. Being a Police Officer is a situation dictates job, meaning you must have a plan B, plan C, and when all else fails you gotta have a plan ABC, I hope you get my drift. I believe if you depend on your tools even a common tool such as your gun it's already to late and you might as well go turn in your badge in and become a crossing guard. The only tool you should depend on is that one that sits between your ears. I think its time you should go and visit the officer down memorial page. While browsing read the synopsis on every officer’s death. I will bet my badge on this brother not one death could have been avoided by the sole use of a taser. Also this is VPD not LAPD, but never the less I am confident that if you were to go x8 in a LAPD black and white you could perform the same if not better job then those officers. The reason around this may be hard for you to swallow. You really don’t know how lucky you are to receive the training that you receive at VPD(for your officer safety). I know this because other departments having training only once every six months or so, or only having training sent by electronically SOP’s only. You are supported to go to school’s by the expense of VPD and not out of your own pockets, like many other agencies (for your officer safety). VPD has never had taser’s or take home cars, but you knew this before you were hired? That's just how it is, but for what you do and what you make is unbelievable. EVERY single department has its PROBLEMS and POLITICS, the grass is never greener brother. Besides I’m almost sure of this, you’re one of the officer that pulls one traffic stop a day or night, pull’s your security screens and answer your calls of service. If you would just stop conspiring with your “everybody is against me group” and do your job there would be no problem. YES I know there are problems within the department and city and they can be fixed the right way but instead you decide to post these little comments and talk behind fellow officer’s back and also make our department look more like crap than it is, your cool. What I’m trying to say if you don’t like the job then QUIT, but you don’t‘ you just stay and conspire on every little thing? VPD was the top agency years ago, the old timers know this. It’s your daily actions that make the department for what it is…… I hope you read this and it sinks in. Please don’t fire back with a your such a brown nosier or chief’s pet comment. Believe me I‘m just a realist, and that’s the truth…..

03-10-2010, 04:40 AM
What a classic case of "kill the messenger." Look what happened to the Berkley, California Police Department. Their Chief asked and asked for Tasers until finally an officer shot and killed a knife weilding woman because he had no other less lethal weapon. ow they might get the Tasers after they pay off the negligence lawsuit. The evidence is overwhelming and nationwide: Officer involved shootings go down 50% when Tasers are issued. If you can't understand that please get out of the way.

03-11-2010, 05:20 AM
SIMPLY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! You my friend are in trouble...... I pray I never have to back you up after that great comment. I'm sure the women was "weilding" a DEADLY WEAPON just to show you what kind of brand it was. Yes kill the messenger, that what I was trying to do so i wont have to do this. I have failed that task cause you simply just showed how inexperience you are, not only embarrassing yourself, you also embarrassed VPD. Handle deadly force situations with deadly force junior. But if you want to play politic then go ahead, but make sure your paying into your life insurance. So go ahead and GOOGLE another scenario for me and I'll respond again and teach you how to be a cop through this web site.

03-12-2010, 06:49 AM
That is harsh but yes 100% correct. I was a training instructor for 4 yrs and officer for 11 yrs. My department was issued Tasers in 2004. After several yrs of use I found numerous incidents were officer became Taser dependent and saw several incidents were officer should have responded with deadly force rather that less than lethal. As for negligence lawsuits that is complete non sense in a deadly force situation. If acting in good faith in a deadly force situation the officer is protected if the incident is found as a justifiable homicide. I noticed many policy have been changing lately the biggest one was NYPD is now only allowed to engage the Taser with only back shots? That can cut your chances to only a 50% use. Tasers are a solid piece of plastic that has problems of their own. The number one problem being not being able to complete a full circuit and miss fires. Personal I believe there needs to be more research in less than lethal incapacitating rounds, a solid weapon that is both reliable with minimum electronic parts. The U.S. Army develop a 40mm ring round that was very successful but may be found to be a little over kill in a civil dispute. Till then the best weapon is situational awareness.

03-12-2010, 06:51 AM
That is harsh but yes 100% correct. I was a training instructor for 4 yrs and officer for 11 yrs. My department was issued Tasers in 2004. After several yrs of use I found numerous incidents were officer became Taser dependent and saw several incidents were officer should have responded with deadly force rather that less than lethal. As for negligence lawsuits that is complete non sense in a deadly force situation. If acting in good faith in a deadly force situation the officer is protected if the incident is found as a justifiable homicide. I noticed many policy have been changing lately the biggest one was NYPD is now only allowed to engage the Taser with only back shots? That can cut your chances to only a 50% use. Tasers are a solid piece of plastic that has problems of their own. The number one problem being not being able to complete a full circuit and miss fires. Personal I believe there needs to be more research in less than lethal incapacitating rounds, a solid weapon that is both reliable with minimum electronic parts. The U.S. Army develop a 40mm ring round that was very successful but may be found to be a little over kill in a civil dispute. Till then the best weapon is situational awareness.

03-12-2010, 07:06 AM
fas defence technology is proble the number one provider with less than lethal rounds. They sell a high kinetic energy ring round with a OC/CS mixture. I would suggest your training division research it if your concern is that high.

03-13-2010, 02:52 AM
Chicago P.D. Is the latest agency to go to the Taser. The liability isn't for the individual officer who must respond with whatever they have but for the employer who FAILS to equip the officer with a less lethal weapon with an OVERWHELMING data base that shows it saves lives and prevents injuries.

03-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Should Know Better, take a deep breath and call the EAP. I do not work for VPD which was only one of your mistakes. If you think officer safety is determined completely by what is between your ears then you have little real police experience. If that is really true then you don't even need a gun because you are so smart. If Tasers don't improve officer safety then why are officer injuries down 50% at agencies that use the Taser? Your officer safety philosophy is so wrong I can only hoped that you are far removed from doing real police work.

03-16-2010, 12:24 AM
okay then that settles it! you don't work for VPD so shut your mouth and get your hand out of the Kool-aid junior. Like I said before every place has its own problems and we have our own that WE can deal with and WE dont need a nobody rousting up things that has no say in anything that affects me or my fellow officers. So go post your hate comments on veniceflorida.com im sure your a pro at that (obviously nothing else). By the way, your the only one complaining I sure you lack something other than a taser, we are not complaining because we're not wimps...peace :devil:

03-18-2010, 02:11 AM
I hope Should Have Known Better works indoors for everyone's sake.

03-23-2010, 02:38 AM
I hope Should Have Known Better works indoors for everyone's sake. WOW awesome change your user name!!!!!!! dumba$$ is using the same IP address!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your a complete tool. :devil: