PDA

View Full Version : Florida Sheriff's Capt Shot and Killed

MOD 1
01-15-2010, 12:51 AM
I have received word that Capt Reed has passed away from his injuries. RIP Capt Reed. Our thoughts and prayers are with Capt Reed's wife, children and family.

Article from http://www.gainesvillesun.com

Dixie sheriff's captain, suspect shot

By Cindy Swirko
Staff writer

Published: Thursday, January 14, 2010 at 6:27 p.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, January 14, 2010 at 6:27 p.m.

A Dixie County sheriff's captain and a suspect were shot in Cross City late Thursday afternoon when officers tried to apprehend the man, who was wanted for allegedly shooting four people, two of them fatally, in Hernando County, authorities said.

The seriousness of their injuries was not available, although reports stated that sheriff's Capt. Chad Reed was shot in the face. Dixie County Sheriff Dewey Hatcher said Reed was airlifted to Shands at the University of Florida,

Hatcher said he believes the suspect, identified as John Kalisz, 55, was also airlifted the Shands.

Kalisz was apparently involved in the shooting at around 3 p.m. Thursday of four people, two of whom are his relatives, near Brooksville, authorities said.

The Hernando County Sheriff's Office told the Associated Press that Kalisz is accused of killing two elderly women, and wounding a woman and a pregnant girl.

Hatcher said authorities were notified that he was heading toward Dixie County on U.S. 19. Deputies spotted the car and followed it to a gas station in Cross City. The shooting of Cept. Reed and Kalisz happened there, Hatcher said.

"Some of my guys intercepted the vehicle and were following it. We were trying to stage enough people to do a traffic stop," Hatcher said. "When the guy gets to Cross City, he pulls into a gas station. My officers approached the vehicle. They exchange fire. My captain was shot and the suspect was also shot."

Hatcher said he didn't know where the the shot hit Reed, though witnesses at the scene told The Sun the wound was to Reed's face. Hatcher did not know the extent of the injuries to the suspect.

01-15-2010, 02:04 AM
My prayers are with his family and his extended law enforcement family during this horrible time.
God bless and keep you.
The wife of a fellow brother...

01-15-2010, 02:26 AM
Thank you for your service Captain Reed. My thoughts and prayers are with your family, friends and members of the Dixie Co. SO.

Micki Maternowski
Retired Deputy Pasco SO

01-15-2010, 04:15 AM
Capt. Reed was a dedicated employee he gave a 100% to everything he done he will be missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to Capt. Reed and his family.

01-15-2010, 04:54 AM
if anyone hears any funeral information please post

God Bless,

01-15-2010, 06:54 AM
Words cannot describe what everyone is feeling and going thru right now.The Tampa Police Dept.family sends our prayers and condolences.Rest in peace sir,we will always be with you....Tom Cotton.....Tampa Police Dept. k-9 unit

01-15-2010, 09:51 AM
"A Part of America Died"
Somebody killed a policeman today,
and a part of America died.
A piece of our country he swore to protect,
will be buried with him at his side.

The suspect that shot him will stand up in court,
with counsel demanding his rights.
While a young widowed mother must work for her kids,
and spend many long, lonely nights.

The beat that he walked was a battle field too,
just as if he'd gone off to war.
Though the flag of our nation won't fly at half mast,
to his name they will add a gold star.

Yes, somebody killed a policeman today,
in your town or mine.
While we slept in comfort behind our locked doors,
a cop put his life on the line.

Now his ghost walks a beat on a dark city street,
and he stands at each new rookie's side.
He answered the call, of himself gave his all,
and a part of America died.

©1984 America Police Hall of Fame
North Port, Florida

Rest in peace brother.

01-15-2010, 01:08 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends in Dixie Co. Rest in peace brother you will be missed

01-15-2010, 02:09 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. RIP Captain.

Prosecutor
01-15-2010, 03:05 PM
My family's thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I thought when I retired from the Collier County S.O. and moved up here in Dixie County, I would have gone to my last funeral of a fallen brother, alas! that 's just not to be. Rest easy now Captain, another has your watch.

01-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Rest in peace Capt. We will take it from here.. May God put his arms aound and hold your family and freinds during this horrific time.

01-15-2010, 07:55 PM
From what I understand the veiwing will be Saturday (01-16) 1800 hrs to 2000 hrs and the funeral will be Sunday
(01-17) at 1500 hrs. :cry:

MOD 1
01-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Visitation is Saturday from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Rick Gooding Funeral Home, 16984 S.E. U.S. 19, in Cross City.

Funeral services are planned for 3 p.m. Sunday at the First Baptist Church of Cross City, 16024 S.E. U.S. 19.

01-15-2010, 09:44 PM
January 15, 2010

To: Captain Chad Reed
Dixie County Sheriff's Office
Dixie County, Florida

Dear Captain Reed,

We in Hernando County had a terrible event take place within our community. At this point, we are not sure why the incident took place. My Family and I extend our deepest, heart felt gratitude to you for being there in a great time of need.

Thank you Sir. Thank you for answering the call, thank you for caring and thank you for being there.

My Family and I will pray for your Family. We will pray that their needs will be met for years to come and that the DCSO will always be there to help along with other Agencies, Brothers and Sisters.

Please accept our Sincerest Thank You for your Sacrifice and our Prayers for your Family.

We are so sorry. Rest In Peace Sir. Rest In Peace.

Dear Mrs. Chad Reed and Children,

We are so sorry for your loss. We have no words of Wisdom, only Prayer. We will pray for you and your children. Please accept our deepest condolences from my wife, children and I.
God Bless You.

To the Dixie County Sheriff's Office,

Please too, accept our condolences and heartfelt loss. There are no words. Please continue to take care of each other to the best of your abilities. May God Bless all of you too.

Sincerely,
A Former LEO and Family
Hernando County, FL

01-16-2010, 02:11 AM
Capt Chad Reed's Funeral Information....
1) A visitation has been planned for Saturday from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Rick Gooding Funeral Home at 16984 S.E. U.S. 19 in Cross City.
2) Reed's funeral service will be at 3 p.m. Sunday at the First Baptist Church of Cross City at 16024 S.E. U.S. 19.

May you rest in peace my brother! YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN!
You fellow Brother & Sister!
Pinellas County Sheriff Office

01-16-2010, 09:33 PM
All brothers and sisters in law enforcement,

We have lost an honorable brother who responded to the call of duty. For those of you with time on the job you will understand he never really had a choice in the matter. Duty and honor go hand in hand. Duty is simple, it is what we do. It is honor that makes it a mandatory action for law enforcement . Honor is sometimes harder to define, but for those with honor no explanation is required. For those without honor the longest of explanations will not bring comprehension. The Captain was an honorable man!

To the family of the good Captain,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you in this difficult time.
Sincerely,
A Palm Beach County Sheriff's Deputy