PDA

View Full Version : New Hire

01-06-2010, 08:20 PM
How do we hire a new Victim's Advocate? How about my step-increase? Where is the FOP? How about hiring the 7-10 deputies we're short? Once again the silence coming from the front office is deafening.

01-06-2010, 11:01 PM
They rehired a prop crime inv in d3 when they told us they were not going to hire any more deps

01-07-2010, 12:49 AM
The new VA was hired with GRANT MONEY, for a new VA, not grant money for new deputies. The "new" D3 property crimes detective was NOT "re-hired"; he was on leave while he went through boot. Instead of pissing and moaning and trying to start trash, ask someone.

01-07-2010, 02:15 AM
Oh, I forgot, we are supposed to ASK every time we only get the result of a front office action. I understand, never question any actions of the administration.

01-07-2010, 03:16 PM
holy crap, is every decision made at his agency reqired to have your stinkin' seal of approval? Could it possibly be that sometimes, guest, just sometimes that the people who run this agency know what the heck they are doing? Or is this just another opportunity for some pissant to anonymously vent his petty little complaints? I am so sick and tired of people who constantly run everyone else down.
So we hired a victim advocate. Did the money come out of your pocket? Is your family on the street because of this financial hardship? Post your name and I'll pass the hat for you, and I am sure that WE will take care of our own.
My name is Deputy Zawawi. You may not know that my mother was the victim of a burglary last year. The efforts of all the deputies and detectives who responded resulted in the arrest of the suspects. Usually our involvement in crimes ends there. In this case, I personally watched the victim as she dealt with the confusing gauntlet of court and all the junk that goes with it. I watched as my mother went to court repeatedly to tell her story of how she was victimized by these thugs. I watched as the thug's families stood up and told the story of what wonderful people the supects were. And I watched as the thugs got very lenient sentences, leaving my mother confused, agry, and broke from all the stuff that was stolen. I spoke with my mother yesterday. She was finally able to get in touch with someone who can help her get reimbursed by the suspects. It was a victim's advocate.
So, guest, I will close my little rant with this advice: shut your pie hole.

01-07-2010, 05:07 PM
JZ, awesome post!!

You're exactly right; why SHOULD the admin or anyone else with rank and responsibilities have to get the approval of everyone before a decision is made? Maybe the sheriff should call the original poster before he does anything in the future? Maybe he should invite him/her to every budget meeting; every command staff meeting; every meeting with ticked off citizens?

Come on, get real, quit complaining, and get back to work. :devil:

01-07-2010, 08:12 PM
You are right, I shall shut the pie hole, until next October when the lay-offs take place.

01-08-2010, 04:44 AM
Guest,since it is apparent that you can see into the future, can you give me this weeks lotto numbers. If I win, I will pay you to go away. I promise.

01-08-2010, 05:03 PM
I read this s$^% and the people that don't agree with a poster attack the poster. Why can't you just discuss the first poster's point? Why is there no communication between the sheriff and his deputies? The point I think he was trying to make is there is no, that's zero, information going from the top to the bottom. It is only the attackers that think the poster wants a say in what goes on, to have a input. He said he just wants to be told something. The main point is the sheriff doesn't even be seen out of the main office. Down south we never see him or the top five. So for all you personal attackers with no ability to see the big picture, no, I can't tell you that. Act intelligent, discuss things, I know it is hard because you are in Santa Rosa County but please try.

01-08-2010, 07:07 PM
I read this s$^% and the people that don't agree with a poster attack the poster. Why can't you just discuss the first poster's point? Why is there no communication between the sheriff and his deputies? The point I think he was trying to make is there is no, that's zero, information going from the top to the bottom. It is only the attackers that think the poster wants a say in what goes on, to have a input. He said he just wants to be told something. The main point is the sheriff doesn't even be seen out of the main office. Down south we never see him or the top five. So for all you personal attackers with no ability to see the big picture, no, I can't tell you that. Act intelligent, discuss things, I know it is hard because you are in Santa Rosa County but please try.

Thanks for bringing to light that this along with many other posts like it are coming from the SOUTH END. I don't know how long you have been around but from someone who has please write this down, recite it, or copy and paste:

The admin does not have to, nor have they ever, needed to or otherwise felt compelled to, notify every employee working for this agency anything and everything that goes on in this department.

Take this as an attack if you want but take it to heart:

YOU act intelligent. Will things be better for you if the admin paid you a personal visit every week or so?

Discuss things that you have full knowledge of and at least be honest enough not to discuss things that you don't have knowledge of. This post is a classic example of a premature *****ing of an employee being hired with GRANT MONEY.

You are also in Santa Rosa County, even though you live in rumorville south.

01-08-2010, 07:27 PM
1. How do we hire a new Victim's Advocate? 2. How about my step-increase? 3. Where is the FOP? 4. How about hiring the 7-10 deputies we're short? Once again the silence coming from the front office is deafening.

Cricket music for you.

1. Grant money for that type of position.

2. How about it? Have you looked at your paycheck? Nope, not there.

3. The FOP is currently on Willing Street in Milton. Oh, you meant personnel? They are off hunting wascally dressed juveniles with crappy taste in music, or gang members if you prefer. Did you think they would help?

4. The 7-10 deputies we are short cannot be hired due to the fact that we were able to keep last years monies that should have been returned to the county but was kept in order to pay for salaries for the current budget. Really, where have you been?

Hope this helps!

01-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Rumormill South? why do you have to attack when you try to defend a sheriff that is scared to have a conversation with his people. Most people just want someone to let them know what is going on. If the Sheriff wasn't scared to talk to his own people, the agency would be stronger and this site would be nill. Attack again mr training man.

01-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Communication is a two way street. Guest, you have the ability to go talk to the Sheriff. Tell him your concerns. He will talk with you. I know this as being factual. I have talked to him, and other admin staff, when I had concerns. Just be prepared with your concerns, ans solutions to your concerns. We are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Stay safe.

01-09-2010, 04:34 PM
First to the Z-man: good post!

Second to the original blogger: you really need to get your facts straight before you draw conclusions. Try this.....post a post that says, "Does anyone know whether the new VA is paid out of the general budget or from some other source?" Now, from that post, which by the way attacks no one and simply asks a question, you will get some answers (some you can throw in the garbage). Then, for instance if it came back "out of general budget" THEN you could state your opinion. If it came back "from a Federal Grant" then you could say, "Oh, okay thanks for the info." This way you're simply inquiring.

Third to the whole sheriff thing, it appears one person has a problem talking with him and castigates him for "non communication." If you're scared to talk with him then fine wear your weapon when you go talk to him. Post a suggestion or send him a letter without your name if you wish. As long as its a legitimate question i feel taht he'll answer. I will admit there have been times when i think he has been too silent on issues we wanted to know about. He ain't perfect and i've had my share of complaints like anyone else but.....i've also got to take responsibility for how i handle it as well!

Fourth the possible layoffs in october is STILL on everyone's minds! We need to push for more info on when the admin's doing to initiate the MSTU! But you see that's a legitimate question that no one should be scared to ask him. Actually, i believe it's something our supervisors should ask him directly face to face in the command staff meeting and then provide the anwser to us. I believe that to be a reasonable request and i don't really believe he would take offense! Let's try it then if it doesn't work we can b*tch!

01-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Rumormill South? why do you have to attack when you try to defend a sheriff that is scared to have a conversation with his people. Most people just want someone to let them know what is going on. If the Sheriff wasn't scared to talk to his own people, the agency would be stronger and this site would be nill. Attack again mr training man.

Again, it wasn't an attack on you, it was a statement about the mentality of this department.

Do you ask your sergeant or liuetenant what is going on? Or are you too busy *****ing about your sergeant or lieutenant?

This agency would be stronger if you would open your mind and see that there is much more to this place than your 10 hour shift.

Try again, I'm not training man.

01-10-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm glad people think I have so much power around here but the fact of the matter is, I am NOT the FOP president. I am the chaplain, so if someone is sick or dying, expect some action from me. I am also on the state Legislative committee so if you have questions regarding legislation, by all means ask. But, the immature comments and slams about my job are getting old and tiresome. If you want my job, by all means.........you can deal with all of the paperwork that goes along with it and the attempts at working with surrounding jurisdictions on information. Have it. I work hard. I don't go around talking sh*t about people behind their backs. I don't post stupid comments online about people either. My name is on this one just like the other two or three comments I have ever made on this site.
I treat people the way I want to be treated, some of you may want to try that as well. If you've got a problem with me, at least post your name so I know who is going to be stabbing me in the back at some point.
Thanks,
L Goodwin

01-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Hey Lori, don't worry about the idiots that post. You do a great job both in FOP as well as at work. These posts come from about two or three people who just want to keep things stirred up for the fun of it or some personal gripe against someone that they're not man enought to handle face to face. Don't even go on LEO affairs because there's very little constructive thought put on it. Thank goodness there are a few people who actually know what they're talking about that do post. But i'm sure those aren't the ones slamming you.

01-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Communication is a two way street. Guest, you have the ability to go talk to the Sheriff. Tell him your concerns. He will talk with you. I know this as being factual. I have talked to him, and other admin staff, when I had concerns. Just be prepared with your concerns, ans solutions to your concerns. We are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Stay safe.
I have talked to the Sheriff, on several occasions. I helped keep us out of 12 hour shifts, a thing that nearly all the people at the time did not want. The sheriff listened and acted. I was later stabbed in the back by Collier--as Collier wanted 12 hour shifts. So, yes you can talk to the sheriff--he will listen--he will act--and his henchmen will also act against you--the Sheriff will do nothing to protect you. I did act and paid for it later.
The real point of this whole subject is that the sheriff does not talk to his people. Nothing says he has to talk to anyone, but a good leader will keep their people informed----especially when the rumormill is as bad as SRSO.

01-12-2010, 12:50 AM
I'm glad people think I have so much power around here but the fact of the matter is, I am NOT the FOP president. I am the chaplain, so if someone is sick or dying, expect some action from me. I am also on the state Legislative committee so if you have questions regarding legislation, by all means ask. But, the immature comments and slams about my job are getting old and tiresome. If you want my job, by all means.........you can deal with all of the paperwork that goes along with it and the attempts at working with surrounding jurisdictions on information. Have it. I work hard. I don't go around talking sh*t about people behind their backs. I don't post stupid comments online about people either. My name is on this one just like the other two or three comments I have ever made on this site.
I treat people the way I want to be treated, some of you may want to try that as well. If you've got a problem with me, at least post your name so I know who is going to be stabbing me in the back at some point.
Thanks,
L Goodwin

No offense meant:

How many for real gangs or gang members do we have in this county?

And is your answer able to be justified through state guidlines and also reporting criteria?

Whatever your response may be many believe it to be a waste of time. Arrest if possible and let FDLE handle the rest.

01-12-2010, 02:53 PM
I have talked to the Sheriff, on several occasions. I helped keep us out of 12 hour shifts, a thing that nearly all the people at the time did not want. The sheriff listened and acted. I was later stabbed in the back by Collier--as Collier wanted 12 hour shifts. So, yes you can talk to the sheriff--he will listen--he will act--and his henchmen will also act against you--the Sheriff will do nothing to protect you. I did act and paid for it later.
The real point of this whole subject is that the sheriff does not talk to his people. Nothing says he has to talk to anyone, but a good leader will keep their people informed----especially when the rumormill is as bad as SRSO.
WOW

01-12-2010, 03:47 PM
No offense meant:

How many for real gangs or gang members do we have in this county?

And is your answer able to be justified through state guidlines and also reporting criteria?

Whatever your response may be many believe it to be a waste of time. Arrest if possible and let FDLE handle the rest.

We have had several REAL gangs and gang members, many of which have come from other areas including other states. The actual number would have to be obtained from Crime Analysis, which does the tracking.
I am required to do this using the statutes and if you have read any report I have done with regards to documenting gangs and their members it is all done according to statute. While many may believe this is a waste of time, my goal in this is not to make the area look bad or make the officers look bad. The goal is to make sure that when you run someone on your computer, you know the type of person (mentality) you are dealing with so you can heighten your awareness. It's an officer safety issue. FDLE is not going to come into our agency and look for members, it is up to us to report them so they can be entered in the statewide database. That can only be done if we do things according to statute and document thoroughly. In the south end of the county we are dealing with a lot of gang members from Okaloosa but have had contact with gang members from national gangs such as Latin Kings, Sur 13, and a number of white pride gangs. Around here, we have become somewhat complacent because we do not see these things on daily basis and some of our deputies do not know what to look for. I think if everyone was aware of some of the situations that have gone on with these groups they would be surprised at what happens in this county. The one's we have here are not necessarily doing drive by shootings but they are beating people stupid, doing home invasions, robberies, etc. When you take into account the number of guns we have stolen here, it makes for a bad situation overall. Nationally the trend of gangs is moving into smaller areas because they do go undetected and can fly under the radar. That is what we are seeing here. If allowed to continue the way it is now, it becomes a huge problem at some point. Do we want to wait until that happens or do we want to send the message that they are not welcome here? So far this year we have had delinquent (adjudicated) juvenile gang members arrested with guns not to mention the gang member that brought a gun into the high school. I hope this has answered any questions you had.

01-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Let me add one more thing, you made a comment about "for real gang members". Who decides that? Based on all of the training I have had, the person that makes that decision is the gang member. Just because someone is not part of a nationally affiliated gang does not change the status of membership. Even major cities have a bigger problem with locally grown gangs which are generally called hybrid gangs. This is where you see the mixing of things that national gangs do coupled with the gangs own twist. This is also our biggest issue here. The mentality is the same and the reality is, if this group is not taken seriously they will do whatever they have to in order to "prove" themselves. If someone believes they are a gang member, no matter what you think of their status, it should always be taken seriously. If not, you may end up getting hurt. That is what I don't want to see. I can't change the mindset of the Deputies, but I can do all of the documentation and paperwork and give you the knowledge to keep yourself safe.

01-12-2010, 04:14 PM
I also want to make clear that I am NOT the only person gathering gang intelligence. Every district has their own gang intelligence officer, who is responsible for gathering gang intelligence in their district. Everyone assumes I am the only one doing this and that isn't the case. The other intel officers work hard to gather the information for their districts as well. As far as what I do with regards to reporting, I can only speak for myself.

01-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Lori, you don't need to justify yourself to anyone but your supervisor, yourself, and (if you believe so) the Almighty Father. I know very little about gang documentation, but what I do know is: Gang members do not register themselves, there is nothing on their ID to show gang affiliation, and unless they are properly documented by trained and dedicated personnel, they are less likely to receive enhanced penalties. Keep doing what you are doing and let the others think and talk what they will.

01-12-2010, 05:58 PM
How did a post on how the sheriff is afraid to talk to his people become LG's pity me and now gang post?

01-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Lori, you don't need to justify yourself to anyone but your supervisor, yourself, and (if you believe so) the Almighty Father. I know very little about gang documentation, but what I do know is: Gang members do not register themselves, there is nothing on their ID to show gang affiliation, and unless they are properly documented by trained and dedicated personnel, they are less likely to receive enhanced penalties. Keep doing what you are doing and let the others think and talk what they will.

Duplicate IP Alert!!!

Enough already!

01-12-2010, 07:13 PM
You said this:

We have had several REAL gangs and gang members, many of which have come from other areas including other states. The actual number would have to be obtained from Crime Analysis, which does the tracking.

Then this:

Let me add one more thing, you made a comment about "for real gang members". Who decides that? Based on all of the training I have had, the person that makes that decision is the gang member. Just because someone is not part of a nationally affiliated gang does not change the status of membership.

I'm confused more. Since you have the spotlight, care to explain? Wait never mind, our gangs and gang members are determined on who is doing the reporting...

01-13-2010, 03:34 AM
I am confused about this particular subject. The origanl track of this subject was on how there is no communication from the top down. Then we get off on gangs. WTF? So lets talk about gangs/gang officers. Everyone knows that each district has it's own gang intel officer. It just seems that D2 has the only full time gang officer. How is that possible? If I were the other gang officers, I would be crying foul. How is it that they have to answer calls, and the D2 officer doesn't? Are there more gangs/gang members in D2? As for the D2 gang officer, I have no issues with you. I do think you are trying to justify yourself a wee bit too much. You would probably have a little more support, if you caught a patrol call now and again. Nothing major, a 78, a 22 or how about that signal 4 you rolled up on a few months back and then called for a zone officer to come and take over. That falls under the category of WTF. You so busy that you can't stick around to call FHP? So lets get off the topics of gangs/gang members. You can start another thread about that. Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve communications with the top? I'm going to guess that the answer to that is NO. That is the way this department works. We b%^&h about every thing, yet do nothing to improve the situation. Let's try to do something productive for once. Answer your calls. Be proactive. You might actually begin to like working here. If you have issues that you can't get past, QUIT. If you can work around the problem, I guess it's not that big of an issue in the first place. We are lucky here. We haven't had the pain of losing one of our own in the line of duty. That is a real problem. We act like we have real issues. Let's get over ourselves. Act like men and women of honor. Do the job you signed up to do. If you can't do that, I feel for you.

01-13-2010, 04:56 AM
Ok, the only reason I posted on here is because someone made a BS comment about me not doing anything to back up officers within the FOP because I am too busy chasing gang members. This is the reason I posted. Quite honestly, I have been directed to do this and I have also stated that the other gang intel officers should be detached as well, but it has fallen on deaf ears.
As far as the incident where I called for another unit, I happened to me in an unmarked car with no working rear lights and no blue form. THAT was why I requested another unit. Instead of ASSUMING something ask. I am also working patrol when they are short shifted and any of the evening sgts will tell you that when I come out there, I take anything that comes up. Even when I am not working a shift, I will still take anything I am close to. I am a deputy first. If you have any questions about my job or what I do, feel free to ask my Lt.
Quite honestly, I am tired of working my a$$ off to help others out and getting nothing but grief for it. I don't want recognition, I don't want to be out there. I would rather stay in my corner and just be left alone. This is not a pity party either. I do not care what anyone thinks. I know I work hard, my Lt knows I work hard, and even the Sheriff knows I work hard. I'm in the middle of writing 15 warrants this week, how many have you written this week?

01-13-2010, 01:57 PM
If you don't care what anyone thinks, why do you post?

01-13-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm in the middle of writing 15 warrants this week, how many have you written this week?

We were busy taking calls while you were sitting at the office justifying yourself to your Lt., the property detective, and this website.

As much as you say you are working it still won't justify the fact that we DO NOT have a gang problem.

Were these myspace warrants? Or facebook?

01-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Now that was funny.

01-13-2010, 06:07 PM
BS Meter, think what you want. People asked questions and I answered them.

As for the last poster, I have no response for you. If you know so much you'd know already.

01-14-2010, 03:09 AM
Anyone that knows L.G. has an opinion of what type of deputy she is. If you have ever worked in law enforcement, you know whom you can trust. You also know which officers are going to be there in a pinch. You know which one's work, and those that pretend to work or appear busy. You make your own opinions, based on observations. So let's get off this topic and talk about something of interest.

01-14-2010, 04:08 AM
How about that Alabama-Florida game?

01-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Anyone that knows L.G. has an opinion of what type of deputy she is. If you have ever worked in law enforcement, you know whom you can trust. You also know which officers are going to be there in a pinch. You know which one's work, and those that pretend to work or appear busy. You make your own opinions, based on observations. So let's get off this topic and talk about something of interest.
Hey, we were talking about how the sheriff never talks to his people, when for whatever reason LG barged in and confused the original topic. If LG wants to be the center of the conversation, then she came to the right place. Show me where LG has been talked about on this site. Dont get in the batters box if your not ready to bat.

01-15-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm with you. If she wants the attention, give it to her. She shouldn't be surprised when people express their opinions of her. Don't open the box, if you don't want to know what is inside. LG kinda brought this on herself. I say, GAME ON.

01-15-2010, 02:14 AM
Let it go guys. Either get back to the original thread or get off. Everyone's made their point one way or another so why don't we just drop and move on!

01-17-2010, 02:34 PM
I have a question.

Do you have databases that can share intelligence on gang activies from one jurisdiction to another?

Maybe if the powers that be would discuss something like this and have the database available to patrol officers to enter contacts, information and intel the front lines would do nuch of the work allowing the gang units to concentrate on the "problem children" and it would be suprising the bang for the buck that could be realized as a result of being able to share information.

The key is having a secure system that is "user friendly" meaning it doesn't take a rocket scientist to use. You need something that will be used and that your crime analyst can lever easily to assist in identifying the best target to disrupt / dismantle an organization.

The way I see it the main problem across the country and North America is building silos of information between jurisdictions and not sharing. One hells angel member made a comment a while back "if the cops got organized we'd be screwed".

01-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Personally, I think it is a waste of money and manpower to have any Deputy in Santa Rosa County designated as a full time “gang officer”. I am sure that there are some legit gang or ex gang members living in the county, not mention the drifters that come in from Escambia and Okaloosa. Chances are that anyone who has been to prison is going to be documented as a gang member. Most of the people who have been flagged in the MNI as gang members are just stupid kids. I haven’t seen a rash of drive by’s, graffiti marked territory, or gang related killings. It is my understanding that each district has their own designated gang officer, why is one of them running around like a full time gang detective. This is a waste of manpower. If they want to give some officers some specialized training on how to identify and properly document gang members that’s fine, but let them also handle their regular patrol duties. If our gang problem is so bad, how many gang members have been charged with crimes relating to an ongoing criminal enterprise to profit the gang under RICO. Escambia has more of a gang mess on their hands with a shooting almost every day and their unit only consists of three deputies. I have nothing against LG personally, I am sure she is working hard, but working hard and being productive are two different things. It’s just a waste of money and manpower. Every unit in this agency is short, patrol, narc, mc, sro, are all short and they could use an extra body. If someone wants to be a gang officer fine, let them do it on eves in between catching calls.

01-18-2010, 12:01 AM
SRSO should be gathering information constantly on gang members or gangs and not wait until we have a problem and then start trying to gather thte info. Whether that takes a full time position or add it on to an existing one is up to the uppers. Whether we have gangs or don't have gangs seems to be debateble but at least gather the info now and not wait until its too late. If they ain't here in force they will be sooner or later.

01-18-2010, 01:30 AM
Intelligence-led policing is the buzz word of the day.

Collecting information and intelligence should be a front line officer's job, but that only works if there is a simple way for officers to report/store the information.

There must be simple to use gang tracking software out there somewhere ?

01-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Shut up **** this was about new hires not Lori's gang crap

01-21-2010, 06:19 AM
Taking calls? Our CAD is dead most of the time Lori is out puting in her hours. I never see Lori without a report open on the computer or having a brief with someone else. Some may not agree with the administration or direction of the gang thing...but I can say with surety that she does more than most around here. Whatever tool posted that they were taking calls while she writes myspace warrants...your an idiot. Taking calls? You mean smoking 1/2 a pack out front of the office or sitting in the park finishing up a movie? How about pissing around in from of the Tom Thumb or joking around all night with your other lazy mates. I have the same CAD up as you do and trust me...you weren't "catching calls" all damn night moron. I'm not much on defending someone but you are a liar. Good cop shop ****.

01-21-2010, 02:54 PM
I say soemthing stinks about this last post. That's right, it's a BS post. Don't try to make her something she is not, nor has ever been. She is not a high speed deputy. Nothing against her, she has never been high speed. That being said, the majority of the deputies in this department are not high speed. This is not a dig on LG, just don't post crap that isn't true.

01-21-2010, 03:19 PM
I agree with the last post. How long has she been here? She did time in court security, then patrol for a bit, then the majority of her time as a SRO, and now she is a GANG deputy. I think it is about time that policies are made spelling out how long you have to be on patrol before you go to a specialized unit. You have to be a deputy for five years, minus a 4 year degree, before you can test for Sgt. Why not make it a standard that you have to do, say 3-4 years, on patrol before you can transfer to another unit/division. I know that this is not a real issue, because no one is going to give up a specialized unit to come back to patrol. You are more likely to find Big Foot, holding a twelve leaf clover, walking with the easter bunny, then see an opening in a specialized unit.
While I am on a rant. Why not make it a requirement that if a crime looks to be gang related, make the Gang deputy come out and make sure everything is investigated correctly. MC and Narc have investigators on call. Just a thought.

01-22-2010, 03:28 AM
I didnt say shes high speed but she certainly isn't lazing around on myspace and being idle as the other poster eluded to. My point is, she's busy. Its a fat lie that she could be doing more/better of a job that others around here...which most don't do squat as it is.

And i don't agree that 5 years on patrol should be required to get into a special unit etc. People that make 5 yeras of patrol generally want to stay on patrol and people that want special go special. Thats not broke. What's broke is promoting specials and puting them back on patrol with little to no past patrol experience.NOt that they don't deserve promo...just saying we need supervisor career paths etc.

oH, to top it of...no one hired for a while will be able to make it past 5 years let alone a probation if the CC have anything to say about it.

01-22-2010, 05:46 PM
I didnt say shes high speed but she certainly isn't lazing around on myspace and being idle as the other poster eluded to. My point is, she's busy. Its a fat lie that she could be doing more/better of a job that others around here...which most don't do squat as it is.

And i don't agree that 5 years on patrol should be required to get into a special unit etc. People that make 5 yeras of patrol generally want to stay on patrol and people that want special go special. Thats not broke. What's broke is promoting specials and puting them back on patrol with little to no past patrol experience.NOt that they don't deserve promo...just saying we need supervisor career paths etc.

oH, to top it of...no one hired for a while will be able to make it past 5 years let alone a probation if the CC have anything to say about it.

Obviously for some a GED was a necessary only as a condition for employment.

01-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Please excuse me for a moment, I have a really stupid question to ask. IS THIS POST ABOUT LORI GODWIN OR NEW HIRES? Enough with the Loris horseshit ok?

01-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Getting back on topic. What "IS" going on with the rumored lay-offs or hasn't anyone from the admin been addressing the issue? Last I heard, they were looking at paring down almost 30 deputies. Not that that would ever happen. The way crime is exploding here and across the river, it'd be political suicide for either the sheriff or cc to let that happen....

01-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Getting back on topic. What "IS" going on with the rumored lay-offs or hasn't anyone from the admin been addressing the issue? Last I heard, they were looking at paring down almost 30 deputies. Not that that would ever happen. The way crime is exploding here and across the river, it'd be political suicide for either the sheriff or cc to let that happen....

It has been almost three years since Amendment 1 was passed. The first year we were asked to trim the fat, now we are cutting to the bone. For almost three years our lame duck county commissioners have sat on their thumbs and they have not come up with any innovative ways to generate additional revenue to fund public safety. Hell, they eliminated impact fees for their developer buddies to “stimulate growth”. I not only blame the commissioners I also blame this administration for not putting pressure on the county commissioners to implement an MSTU. The bottom line is this, the commissioners don’t care and neither does this administration. I’m not saying the admin doesn’t care at all, but they don’t care as much as those whose jobs are in jeopardy. Their jobs are not on the chopping block and they are not looking at another reduction in pay like we are. I guarantee that we will never see step increases again. The county commissioners have wanted to get rid of our step increases for years and last year they were finally eliminated to save some jobs. I would gladly give up my step increase again to save someone’s job, but I shouldn’t have to. If you want action and you really want the commissioners to care about saving your job you have to attach them to that issue by putting their jobs at risk. This will never happen because we can’t work together for a common goal. Everyone is looking out for themselves! If we were able to come together and get all of our friends and family involved, we could make life hell for the commissioners simply by bombarding them with daily public records requests, daily emails and double checking everything that they do. I am sure that they screw up from time to time, but no one is watching that closely to catch them. We should be watching that closely and exposing everything to the public. I am also not that happy with the FOP, but I can’t really blame the FOP, I’m not involved like I should be. The point I am trying to make is this, we all feel powerless against the backwoods political machine of SRC. If each of the 400+ employees of the SO influenced ten people that is 4000 votes, almost as many votes as the largest voting precinct in SRC. Votes are the only thing that politicians understand. But the power really is in our hands we just don’t know how to come together to use it.

01-24-2010, 01:47 PM
The above post from Just saying it was right on. We need to pull together as a group to make our voice be heard.

01-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Well Said, "justsayin", Sad thing is, the SRSO "could" be the premier agency in this area and a great place to work, "IF" a few big pawns were removed from the chess board!

01-26-2010, 02:47 PM

It has been almost three years since Amendment 1 was passed. The first year we were asked to trim the fat, now we are cutting to the bone. For almost three years our lame duck county commissioners have sat on their thumbs and they have not come up with any innovative ways to generate additional revenue to fund public safety. Hell, they eliminated impact fees for their developer buddies to “stimulate growth”. I not only blame the commissioners I also blame this administration for not putting pressure on the county commissioners to implement an MSTU. The bottom line is this, the commissioners don’t care and neither does this administration. I’m not saying the admin doesn’t care at all, but they don’t care as much as those whose jobs are in jeopardy. Their jobs are not on the chopping block and they are not looking at another reduction in pay like we are. I guarantee that we will never see step increases again. The county commissioners have wanted to get rid of our step increases for years and last year they were finally eliminated to save some jobs. I would gladly give up my step increase again to save someone’s job, but I shouldn’t have to. If you want action and you really want the commissioners to care about saving your job you have to attach them to that issue by putting their jobs at risk. This will never happen because we can’t work together for a common goal. Everyone is looking out for themselves! If we were able to come together and get all of our friends and family involved, we could make life hell for the commissioners simply by bombarding them with daily public records requests, daily emails and double checking everything that they do. I am sure that they screw up from time to time, but no one is watching that closely to catch them. We should be watching that closely and exposing everything to the public. I am also not that happy with the FOP, but I can’t really blame the FOP, I’m not involved like I should be. The point I am trying to make is this, we all feel powerless against the backwoods political machine of SRC. If each of the 400+ employees of the SO influenced ten people that is 4000 votes, almost as many votes as the largest voting precinct in SRC. Votes are the only thing that politicians understand. But the power really is in our hands we just don’t know how to come together to use it.

This was by far the best thing that has been posted in regards to this issue. Being narrowly in the "bottom 30" and looking at a possibly lay off this year is terrifying to me. I feel that I have worked hard to get where I am at, while others, such as the CC's reep all the benefits. They are NOT having to worry about paying their bills or taking care of their families if lay off's become the inevitiable. Why? Because they are NOT on the chopping block with their $65,000 + a year, part time jobs. If the CC pay was decreased to what we make a year we could reserve several deputy sheriff posistions.

01-28-2010, 09:07 PM
The rumor mill via the CC's is the next budget will be 6 million dollars short. Yes, my resume is in with both adjacent counties, the writing on the wall is in bright red letters. I would cuss but it would do no good.