PDA

View Full Version : Detective Uniforms

11-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Here's a suggestion to make things run better.

Detectives should not be able to wear whatever they want. They can still wear a suit etc but they should also wear something more practical. Something that increases their safety as well.

Detectives need to be identifiable as police. Therefore, they need to wear something very visible and something with the badge displayed prominently. They need something practical that lets them have handcuffs and extra magazines handy.

The Solution: Detective Vests.
The vests will be black in color. They will have a silver badge on the left over the heart. The vest will have pockets like a fishing vest. They can put magazines, pens, notepad, etc in the pockets.

In addition to being useful, it would raise morale. Detectives would remember where they came from because they would have a type of uniform on daily. Non-detectives would be happy to see the detectives aren't being treated as special because they run around more comfortable than everyone else.

It's a win-win.

11-16-2009, 10:42 PM
I think patrol should be allowed to wear shorts in the summertime.

11-16-2009, 11:03 PM
That's the stupidest idea I have ever heard of. You're a MORON and you're department is a bunch of idiots.

11-16-2009, 11:54 PM

The only way that I would agree with you is, if you were on a bike patrolling then you could wear shorts. Otherwise, I don't think that it is appropriate to wear shorts.

The only other police department that I am aware of that wears shorts is the Clearwater Beach PD and it's because they work on the beach and unless I'm mistaken, Zhills is not a beach community. :P

11-16-2009, 11:58 PM
Here's a suggestion to make things run better.

Detectives should not be able to wear whatever they want. They can still wear a suit etc but they should also wear something more practical. Something that increases their safety as well.

Detectives need to be identifiable as police. Therefore, they need to wear something very visible and something with the badge displayed prominently. They need something practical that lets them have handcuffs and extra magazines handy.

The Solution: Detective Vests.
The vests will be black in color. They will have a silver badge on the left over the heart. The vest will have pockets like a fishing vest. They can put magazines, pens, notepad, etc in the pockets.

In addition to being useful, it would raise morale. Detectives would remember where they came from because they would have a type of uniform on daily. Non-detectives would be happy to see the detectives aren't being treated as special because they run around more comfortable than everyone else.

It's a win-win.

The appropriate attire for your detectives would be a suit or dress pants with a nice polo shirt. Their badges need to be displayed on their belts next to their guns.

Their gun and badge should be the give away that they are detectives. If you can't figure that one out, then a shirt with ZPD written on the back wouldn't help you either :D

11-17-2009, 12:00 AM
That's the stupidest idea I have ever heard of. You're a MORON and you're department is a bunch of idiots.

I believe there are more pressing issues to be dealt with in this department other then what someone wears or doesn't wear.

11-17-2009, 01:07 AM
I think they ought to wear a TACT Polo and carry an AR15 ! :devil:

11-17-2009, 01:18 AM
I think they ought to wear a TACT Polo and carry an AR15 ! :devil:

You are such a trouble maker :snicker:

11-17-2009, 04:19 PM

The only way that I would agree with you is, if you were on a bike patrolling then you could wear shorts. Otherwise, I don't think that it is appropriate to wear shorts.

The only other police department that I am aware of that wears shorts is the Clearwater Beach PD and it's because they work on the beach and unless I'm mistaken, Zhills is not a beach community. :P
Alot of depts. wear shorts in the summer time. And to the poster that called me a moron, if your legs and ankles are to too fat to wear shorts then don't wear them. There is nothing at all unprof. about wearing uniform shorts. Gosh, wearing shorts in the summertime in Florida.....that's absurd!

11-17-2009, 04:23 PM

Alot of depts. wear shorts in the summer time. And to the poster that called me a moron, if your legs and ankles are to too fat to wear shorts then don't wear them. There is nothing at all unprof. about wearing uniform shorts. Gosh, wearing shorts in the summertime in Florida.....that's absurd!

Guest, first, I am not the poster that called you a name, I wouldn't resort to something like that, but I do have a question for you. Don't you spend a lot of time in your cruisers with the air conditioning on?

If you can explain to me how much time you actually spend out of your cruiser and what you are doing during this time, I may change my mind on this view.

11-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Yes, as much as we can. Because it's too dang hot outside in the summer. If I had cooler clothing on I might be more inclined to get out of my car. It's bad enough wearing the vests. It's not the 70's anymore come on man.

11-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Yes, as much as we can. Because it's too dang hot outside in the summer. If I had cooler clothing on I might be more inclined to get out of my car. It's bad enough wearing the vests. It's not the 70's anymore come on man.

Guest, if it was the 70's you would be wearing bell bottoms :snicker: Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Explain to me what kind of activity you would do if you were inclined to get out of your car. Would you park your crusier and walk around the community and patrol that way? Or would you just stand beside your cruiser?

11-17-2009, 07:40 PM

Guest, if it was the 70's you would be wearing bell bottoms :snicker: Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Explain to me what kind of activity you would do if you were inclined to get out of your car. Would you park your crusier and walk around the community and patrol that way? Or would you just stand beside your cruiser?
I understand what your trying to get at here but why would I get out of my car and stand there? If the admin. issued us shorts and mandated that we get out of our cars more and walked the streets, I would be highly open to that. As a matter of fact we could even save on the city's fuel bill by shutting the patrol cars down awhile while were out. Win Win situation as far as I'm concerned.

11-17-2009, 08:04 PM

I understand what your trying to get at here but why would I get out of my car and stand there? If the admin. issued us shorts and mandated that we get out of our cars more and walked the streets, I would be highly open to that. As a matter of fact we could even save on the city's fuel bill by shutting the patrol cars down awhile while were out. Win Win situation as far as I'm concerned.

Here's the thing, if by allowing the patrol to wear shorts meaning that the officers would actually park their cruisers and patrol some on foot or bike, I would be all for it. I am all for the exercise and being more visible in the community.

What I don't want to see or happen is having officers in their cruisers sitting in shorts and not getting out of their cruisers. There is no reason to wear shorts if you are sitting in an air conditioned vehicle.

11-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Guest, one more thing, an overweight officer in shorts is a lot worse then an overweight officer in pants as far as professionalism goes-- if you get my drift. I'm not trying to be offensive here, just stating the truth nor am I pointing anyone in particular out.

If any officer who wears shorts on patrol is getting out of the cruisers and patroling on foot or bike and I don't mean a few feet from their cruisers, I don't have a problem with the shorts suggestion then.

11-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Directing traffic.

11-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Directing traffic.

Tell me, how many times in a 12 hour shift is spent on directing traffic? I'm serious and not being funny.

11-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Directing traffic.

Tell me, how many times in a 12 hour shift is spent on directing traffic? I'm serious and not being funny.
Not that much. I will even go out on a limb here and would be willing to pay for a couple of "authorized and purchased through the dept." shorts/polo shirt uniforms for the summer. That my friends would be awsome and make my job much more bearable in the summer! The admin. could still have their rules covering it but with no out of pocket expense to the city. Maybe some polo shirts with badges, names and POLICE stitched across the back? Chief what do you think???????????? Come on now we are trying to be productive here. No sarcasim, no bullshizz for real.

11-18-2009, 01:40 AM
Guest, you and I appear to be the only ones talking about this. Does anyone else have any input to add?

11-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Well if the Criminal Investigations Division wasn't a dumping ground for patrol officers that can't handle the street, then I would say outfit them with embrodiered shirts. It's Florida and it's appropriate and professional looking. This way the admin can still have some control over their Detectives and what they wear. As far as bike shorts for the patrol officers, good idea and maybe will promote some physical fitness. Give them the choice, see how many will wear them and/or if they ever figure out what to do with the bikes hanging up, maybe they will get some use. That would be forward thinking and well....we know what's up with that.

11-19-2009, 03:42 PM
You guys really should walk around some. Those cars can be intimadating. I know I always want to run when I see them and I'm innocent. :snicker: :snicker: :snicker: