PDA

View Full Version : 11.5 Hour Shifts

11-12-2009, 01:26 AM
Since we are forced to bid on both a 8 hour shift and 11.5 hour shift, at what point will we know for sure what we are going to be stuck with? People want to plan out their leave for January and beyond and turn in leave slips. At some point they need to say "ok, this is what we are working" and soon. It will be mass chaos the closure it gets and as normal, more of a inconvienance to everyone to shuffle around family life, details and leave. Use proper planning, just leave the shifts alone until we can properly plan them and give everyone a fair amount of time to prepare. Oh and sample shift bids is not preparing. I want to turn in leave requests for January and was told I can't because we don't know what schedule we will be on.

11-12-2009, 03:55 AM
The new shifts will not occur until after the contract is ratified and approved by the City Council.

11-12-2009, 08:47 AM
guess that aint gonna happen, Keep strong and vote "NO"........ why vote yes, all its going to do is take $$ out of our pockets..............think about it...

11-12-2009, 07:08 PM
You want to prolong the 8hr shifts, you'll be voting no

11-17-2009, 06:41 PM
With all this negative sentiment about the 11.5 hour shifts, why couldn't we take another vote to see who really wants them? Just a thought before signing off on the contract, if the city wants this schedule it can't be good for the rank and file. :snicker:

11-17-2009, 11:34 PM
We already had a seperate vote on this issue!....Now you want another?....What negative sentiment exactly....months ago it seemed that alot of us wanted it....

With all this negative sentiment about the 11.5 hour shifts, why couldn't we take another vote to see who really wants them? Just a thought before signing off on the contract, if the city wants this schedule it can't be good for the rank and file. :snicker:

11-18-2009, 12:34 AM
The results of another vote would be the same, we still want it so just accept it. Repeating the vote over and over until you get the result you want won't happen. To bad you can't go to another department that still has 8's because like everything else we are the last to go.

11-18-2009, 08:37 PM
The results of another vote would be the same, we still want it so just accept it. Repeating the vote over and over until you get the result you want won't happen. To bad you can't go to another department that still has 8's because like everything else we are the last to go.

thats provided that you dont lose any shift diffrential, well too bad youre going to. Why dont YOU go find another dept that has that. They probably do, but too bad youre going to lose it

11-19-2009, 01:43 AM
Hey Plantation! Take it from us, we've done the 12 hour days and thankfully we are going back. I was like many who wanted it and was excited when we got it. It didn't take long though to realize what a mistake that was. Some of you that vote yes will like it, some of you that vote yes will hate it. Time will tell, but one thing that seemed to be pretty consistent here is that everyone who voted no hated it.

I was talking to one of your guys on a perimeter recently and they mentioned that when you guys voted, specialized units were included in the vote. I see why, they are covered under your union. However, say it isn't true that they are going to be given the option to work 10 hour shifts in their specialized units, but the road is going to work 11.5 or 12? How do you guys see that as a fair vote? Everyone in a specialized unit is going to vote yes! But it's the road patrol that has to work the full shifts.

You guys should have voted with specialized units and without and gauged the difference as it sounds like you may have had a different outcome.

Good luck with your 12s and may your moral and sanity keep up after a few months on them.

And thanks for the assistance on the perimeter if some of you guys are reading. We always enjoy working along side you guys. Good luck on your contract too, that looks pretty sad but we have been there too.

11-19-2009, 02:42 AM
Hey Plantation! Take it from us, we've done the 12 hour days and thankfully we are going back. I was like many who wanted it and was excited when we got it. It didn't take long though to realize what a mistake that was. Some of you that vote yes will like it, some of you that vote yes will hate it. Time will tell, but one thing that seemed to be pretty consistent here is that everyone who voted no hated it.

I was talking to one of your guys on a perimeter recently and they mentioned that when you guys voted, specialized units were included in the vote. I see why, they are covered under your union. However, say it isn't true that they are going to be given the option to work 10 hour shifts in their specialized units, but the road is going to work 11.5 or 12? How do you guys see that as a fair vote? Everyone in a specialized unit is going to vote yes! But it's the road patrol that has to work the full shifts.

You guys should have voted with specialized units and without and gauged the difference as it sounds like you may have had a different outcome.

Good luck with your 12s and may your moral and sanity keep up after a few months on them.

And thanks for the assistance on the perimeter if some of you guys are reading. We always enjoy working along side you guys. Good luck on your contract too, that looks pretty sad but we have been there too.

Youre welcome, the issue with the 11.5 or 12 is that between younger cops and cops in the specialized units it passed. I think if road alone had voted, it would have went the other way. Ask someone in those units, including DB and they will flat out tell you that they dont care what happens they just wanted a 4-3 work week. Now I ask you isnt that sad?
Theres one poster in another blog preaching rah rah rah stick together and yet that person voted for the longer days. Call that unity? I think not. As far as the contract, the city has us right where they want us, divided and at each others throats.
In all my years here, I have never seen so much missery, but hey its all due to that great "change and hope" we where suppose to be getting, or in other words the audacity of hope! And you can take that to the bank.
Be safe

11-20-2009, 01:23 AM
Has your union and administration addressed this type of vote? I don't know what the margin was, but the officer on the perimeter said it was pretty close. Sounds like if just road patrol or those that would HAVE to work 12 hour shifts would have had more no than yes votes. Don't say your union allowed that to be the only vote and running with it. That is such a skewed vote and would be very unfair to anyone who voted no.

I said it before and I'll admit it. I wanted it when we were going to it. But it wasn't long before pretty much everyone couldn't take it. I know some of the neighboring BSO cities are complaining about it too. At least you guys got to vote. Too bad it wasn't a accurate vote or you could have saved yourself a lot of aggravation. The math was simple here after we did it for awhile. The majority that wanted it, didn't anymore and those that didn't want it, still didn't.

Hang in there

11-21-2009, 05:05 PM
they tried the same tactic with us to benefit the town not you guys....impass is a year or two in the making so why rush to pass a vote that doesnt help you? i say stay strong, support your union members for the betterment of eachother not a select few who dont have to suffer thru 11.5 which easily become 12.5 cuz of late calls stay strong

11-22-2009, 01:54 PM

Im going to vote YES! However my vote wouldnt be until Jan 2010. 5 years means 5 years... cant cheat your way out of this one! :devil:

11-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Whats not accurate?
At any point you may find yourself back on the road
I for one am in a specialized unit and voted No because of that fact
As a union, you cant have votes for specific issues for each member
Its all or none

Has your union and administration addressed this type of vote? I don't know what the margin was, but the officer on the perimeter said it was pretty close. Sounds like if just road patrol or those that would HAVE to work 12 hour shifts would have had more no than yes votes. Don't say your union allowed that to be the only vote and running with it. That is such a skewed vote and would be very unfair to anyone who voted no.

I said it before and I'll admit it. I wanted it when we were going to it. But it wasn't long before pretty much everyone couldn't take it. I know some of the neighboring BSO cities are complaining about it too. At least you guys got to vote. Too bad it wasn't a accurate vote or you could have saved yourself a lot of aggravation. The math was simple here after we did it for awhile. The majority that wanted it, didn't anymore and those that didn't want it, still didn't.

Hang in there

11-26-2009, 12:48 AM
Whats not accurate?
Its all or none

Voting as a Union is not a issue. Voting on a proposal for 11.5 hour days or 8 hour days is not a issue. It isn't "all or none" when a option is being given to a select few, those in specialized units, that at the unit commanders discretion, were told they may work 10 hour days.

Fact is, it doesn't matter whether you voted yes or no. If you want it, great, if not, great. What matters is, a good number of people voted yes because of the option that their specialized unit may work 10 hour shifts on a 4-3.

Hypothetically, I bet that a vote on a 10 hour or 8 hour shift would have a tremendously large "yes" vote for 10 hours. Then it's "all or none."

11-26-2009, 02:29 AM
Whats not accurate?
Its all or none

Voting as a Union is not a issue. Voting on a proposal for 11.5 hour days or 8 hour days is not a issue. It isn't "all or none" when a option is being given to a select few, those in specialized units, that at the unit commanders discretion, were told they may work 10 hour days.

Fact is, it doesn't matter whether you voted yes or no. If you want it, great, if not, great. What matters is, a good number of people voted yes because of the option that their specialized unit may work 10 hour shifts on a 4-3.

Hypothetically, I bet that a vote on a 10 hour or 8 hour shift would have a tremendously large "yes" vote for 10 hours. Then it's "all or none."

Very well put.. it was a "road issue", not a specialized unit issue.

11-29-2009, 12:56 AM
Many of you know me and that my 10-12 is an SRO with you guys. I wanted to give you some insight as to what caused our situation with the 12's. I happened to be on our union exec. board at the time of our last contract and was privy to the actual negotiations. We were told during closed door sessions that we would be going to a 12 hour shift weather we liked it or not (as spelled out as "management rights"). Previously being at Hallandale and well versed in the 12 hour shifts, I was adamantly against it. I tried to relay to the membership, the terrible working conditions that would exist. There were several that listened, but others that only looked at the extra day off every other week the driving factor. To make matters worse, the Town required ONLY the road to work 12's and dangled the 19.8% raise over three years to the rest of the dept. (i.e. bureau, vin, traffic, etc)who would stay on 10's or 8's for the SRO's. So basically we had the entire dept. voting on 12's that only affected 80 officers and the rest were merely voting for a raise. Needless to say, after 1.5 yrs. we are back to 10's because the town didn't factor in the 4 hrs. of O.T. paid out bi-weekly to those working 12's. It as also negotiated that the only shifts we COULD work would be 12's or 10's (note: 8's were not an option).

Now nearly 2 years later, we are being called greedy by our mayor because we won't give up a raise that she was in on negotiating that originally put us on the 12 hour shift. Whatever the outcome of your negotiations, I wish you all the best of luck. I will tell you this however, the overwhelming of Davie patrol cops will never vote again for a 12 hour shift.

If I can be of any assistance, don't hesitate to call me, I'm sure you know how to get my 88. Good Luck & be safe

SD

11-29-2009, 03:58 AM
This should be printed out and placed where everyone can see it and learn from it. Well, I doubt we will since we allowed specialized units to vote for 10 hour days. Oh, I mean 11.5 hour days for ROAD PATROL. Why do we always have to be the village idiots?

Many of you know me and that my 10-12 is an SRO with you guys. I wanted to give you some insight as to what caused our situation with the 12's. I happened to be on our union exec. board at the time of our last contract and was privy to the actual negotiations. We were told during closed door sessions that we would be going to a 12 hour shift weather we liked it or not (as spelled out as "management rights"). Previously being at Hallandale and well versed in the 12 hour shifts, I was adamantly against it. I tried to relay to the membership, the terrible working conditions that would exist. There were several that listened, but others that only looked at the extra day off every other week the driving factor. To make matters worse, the Town required ONLY the road to work 12's and dangled the 19.8% raise over three years to the rest of the dept. (i.e. bureau, vin, traffic, etc)who would stay on 10's or 8's for the SRO's. So basically we had the entire dept. voting on 12's that only affected 80 officers and the rest were merely voting for a raise. Needless to say, after 1.5 yrs. we are back to 10's because the town didn't factor in the 4 hrs. of O.T. paid out bi-weekly to those working 12's. It as also negotiated that the only shifts we COULD work would be 12's or 10's (note: 8's were not an option).

Now nearly 2 years later, we are being called greedy by our mayor because we won't give up a raise that she was in on negotiating that originally put us on the 12 hour shift. Whatever the outcome of your negotiations, I wish you all the best of luck. I will tell you this however, the overwhelming of Davie patrol cops will never vote again for a 12 hour shift.

If I can be of any assistance, don't hesitate to call me, I'm sure you know how to get my 88. Good Luck & be safe

SD

11-29-2009, 03:12 PM
SD
I truly appreciate your insight into the alternate shift. You should well know that we CANT vote on any one part of a CBA individually just becuase of where you work at that moment in time. If that was the case, we would have to have a seperate vote on pension, wages, etc. Like Ive said before, members should of voted knowing that at one point in their career, they might have to go back to the road.
As far as your 19.8% raises, I know a large majority of our members will read this and say...How come they got that much and we didnt???? The truth is that if youre a toppped out officer, you will get 6% and if your still in the STEP program, you will receive almost 15% over the 3 years. Our city has already invoked the FLSA exemption so we will be working straight time for the 14 day pay period...ie: 80.5 hours for 11.5 shifts.
Yes, it is true that we conducted a straw vote to gauge the wishes of the membership as to this particular subject because the dream sheets we send out do not always tell the whole story of what each member wants.
What everyone needs to understand is that, yes, it is a management right issue to change the shifts but at this point our Admin wants to do what we want. Our city has never asked for this shift but is going foward with it because it is what we wanted as a Union. Our Admin has even gone as far to include in the CBA an opt out clause with a timeline if after it is implemented, we can switch back to 8 hour shifts.
I hope this helps makes our members understand what is on the table
JM

SD

11-30-2009, 12:38 AM
JM is correct about the voting and union stance. You can't have separate votes on issues or that would open pandoras box.

However, why did we even vote? We knew it would be a lopsided vote. I mean come on, vote knowing that one day "you might" be back on the road. We have people in specialized units from 10, 15+ years now. People who went in a few years ago, if they decide to remain in, will probably be there for a looooonnnnnggggg time. That is another issue, but we can't gauge a vote based on "might be" back on the road.

We should have listened in the hallways to what the road patrol officers were saying. Yes, many were saying yes. But we clearly dropped the ball when we involved a vote of the body which included specialized units that knew they would have the option to work 10 hour days.

The sadest part of it all, it's typical here. And to top it off, some that initially have said yes to 11.5 are wishing they haven't. Maybe some that voted no want it now. Just not hearing that through the halls. Only thing through the halls is low morale.

11-30-2009, 01:53 AM
JM is correct about the voting and union stance. You can't have separate votes on issues or that would open pandoras box.

However, why did we even vote? We knew it would be a lopsided vote. I mean come on, vote knowing that one day "you might" be back on the road. We have people in specialized units from 10, 15+ years now. People who went in a few years ago, if they decide to remain in, will probably be there for a looooonnnnnggggg time. That is another issue, but we can't gauge a vote based on "might be" back on the road.

We should have listened in the hallways to what the road patrol officers were saying. Yes, many were saying yes. But we clearly dropped the ball when we involved a vote of the body which included specialized units that knew they would have the option to work 10 hour days.

The sadest part of it all, it's typical here. And to top it off, some that initially have said yes to 11.5 are wishing they haven't. Maybe some that voted no want it now. Just not hearing that through the halls. Only thing through the halls is low morale.

And so it begins...My understanding is specialized units or peeps in charge can change their work schedule to what ever the mangt wants. They didnt need the special vote. Other news is that Admin (police) dont like the 11.5 hours and are letting the union do as they wish, I find that hard to believe. People in specialized units should be the last to be screaming in here, "stick together" Stay strong. I say "your full of it" where was that sticking together mentality when you were voting yes so you can have a cushy 8 or 10 hour day....
Oh, JM. Can you please put a romour to rest.. IS there a "person" who we all know holding up the OT lawsuit$$$$??? If so why hasnt it, or he been approached to either Shizzzat or get off the pot with a signature?

11-30-2009, 03:08 AM
In response to the OT Lawsuit.....everything is done...the checks will be issued to the FOP and we will distribute them to each member more than likley in a week or two. No holdouts or holdups....the suit was approved by the Federal Judge so all we are waiting now is for the checks to be written.

11-30-2009, 06:14 AM
Can we buy a parking lot?

And by the way lets keep the 8 hour shifts and not break what's working.

In response to the OT Lawsuit.....everything is done...the checks will be issued to the FOP and we will distribute them to each member more than likley in a week or two. No holdouts or holdups....the suit was approved by the Federal Judge so all we are waiting now is for the checks to be written.

11-30-2009, 01:09 PM

As usual JM.. A thank you goes out to you brother

11-30-2009, 06:58 PM
JM

I was merely pointing out what the mindset of the membership as a whole as to how they voted and how the town drove a wedge between us (divided we fall...). I applaud you guys for having the clause that will allow the 11.5's on a trial basis. I was also giving my insight of working 11.5's from someone who HAS worked them in the past and wanted to illustrate what problems you can expect. It is YOUR contract, not ours, but being so close to you guys and having several relationships with your officers, I wanted to point these things out as a courtesy.

Good luck in whatever you decide, and be safe.

SD

12-01-2009, 12:48 AM
Thanks SD for pointing out from experience these things. Probably much like your agency, some of our younger officers really want this. I can see their desire. More time to go on a cruise, hang out, do things away from the PD.

But being married and having kids, it spells disasters for many officers families. Let alone the fatigue, increase chance of accident, increased temper on call, etc. just doesn't pay off in my opinion.

Plus, unlike Sunrise and I am not sure what your days off were, our agency wants to go with Thursday, Friday and Saturday off or Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off. Give "everyone" a piece of the weekend.

However, Sunrise started with this schedule too, but they changed it to Friday, Saturday, Sunday off and Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday off. That at least can help with families and kids who have sporting events and other weekend activities. Granted your senior officers will jump on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday off. But then again, how many of you senior guys had a piece of the weekend when you were new? No offense to our younger officers, you guys kick ass and will get there, but seniority should count for something if we have to get stuck with 11.5 hour days.

Having a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday - plus Saturday off every two weeks won't help most with families, because kids are home Saturday and Sunday.

12-01-2009, 09:01 PM
V OT E N O!!!!! :snicker:

12-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Vote YES on 11.5 !

12-02-2009, 03:28 AM
ON ETOV, NO NO NO :cop:

12-02-2009, 05:53 AM

I don’t want to sound like the materialistic weasel of the group but do you think they will extend some of that OT money to the non-sworn personal? I mean now that they have been shown the error of their ways by a Federal Judge. You think it will trickle down to those civilian employees who have to work nights, weekends, holidays when the rest of the City is off?

12-03-2009, 02:02 AM

I don’t want to sound like the materialistic weasel of the group but do you think they will extend some of that OT money to the non-sworn personal? I mean now that they have been shown the CALCULATED SCAM of their ways by a Federal Judge. You think it will trickle down to those civilian employees who have to work nights, weekends, holidays when the rest of the City is off?

Corrected.

12-03-2009, 03:24 AM
Vote YES on 11.5 !

punk, stop blowing in sick on your three day off week...cause that's what all you pukes will be doing!

12-05-2009, 04:49 AM
dude we are going to regret these 11.5, trust me, long days/long night, no sleep...someone please help us reconsider these work hours before its too late.

12-05-2009, 01:10 PM
This is what you wanted......now you dont want it?

12-06-2009, 11:34 AM
This is what you wanted......now you dont want it?

oh no,, now you asked for it you f*ing got it...just keep giving in to what city hall wants...loosers!

12-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Having some friends at PPD, I've heard about your upcoming 11.5 hour shifts. I can't believe how you guys voted on it. I do from your union standpoint, but why was it not told to your specialized unit that they too would be voting on a 11.5 hour day? Don't give them the option of a shorter 10 hour day and have them vote in favor for road patrols 11.5 hour day. Step back and look for a moment. You had a union vote, which does need to include all of the union body. But you voted once on literally two different things. 10 hour shifts for specialized and 11.5 for road with a yes or no vote. You guys on the road would never get a fair vote like this.

Is the majority of your board in specialized units?

As for 11.5 hour days. I've worked 12 hour shifts. When we first heard about the extra days off, it was easy to see the bright lights. Kind of like that cheap used car add that catches your attention. Extra time off, less days at work during the year, more time for details and off duty activity. It sounds great and if it's what the city or administration wants, then that's what they want you to see. It's like a advertisement.

But I promise you, that you will see for yourself. It's not that great. The shifts are long and if you work in a busy area there is alot of frustration. You'll be tired that when you go home, you'll just want to go to bed. Then it starts over. Yes, the days off are great, but did I read correctly that you guys are talking about Thur-Sat and Sun-Mon off? Will your specialized units get that or will they have Fri-Sun off or Sat-Mon off, assuming they work daytime hours.

Where is the incentive for you guys to even work a 11.5 hour shift if you don't even have a shot at all the weekend off?

From what I hear, it sounds like you guys are voted in favor for a 11.5 hour shift. Albeit, allowing the specialized units to know they would have a option of a 10 hour shift. If that is fair where you work, so be it. Good luck and be safe.

12-08-2009, 05:04 PM
SIMPLE MATH
NO STEP PLUS NO RAISE(first year) "DIVIDED BY" 11.5 hour shift EQUALS A NO VOTE.

12-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Get educated
The STEPS are back in the contract proposal! Along with a 6% raisse over 3 years....so what are you talking about????

SIMPLE MATH
NO STEP PLUS NO RAISE(first year) "DIVIDED BY" 11.5 hour shift EQUALS A NO VOTE.

12-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Get educated
The STEPS are back in the contract proposal! Along with a 6% raisse over 3 years....so what are you talking about????

SIMPLE MATH
News to me, maybe I should be more involved in the process I could sure use a good "raisse" oh and try de-caf. :cop:

12-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Get educated
[quote="1 Adam 12":17rfokx9]SIMPLE MATH
News to me, maybe I should be more involved in the process I could sure use a good "raisse" oh and try de-caf. :cop:[/quote:17rfokx9]

Ill give it a "no" just to help those guys get rid of Jabba the hut. oh btw blimp!, take the stupid smug look off your face, we all know your a horses rear end!

12-09-2009, 01:18 AM
Simple math, 11.5 hour days + aggravation = voting no regardless.

12-10-2009, 10:24 PM
if you vote for the 11.5 does your road make more $ since they will be on that schedule? if not,what is your incentive to vote for it on the road and why would those whos schedule doesnt change vote against it/ i know if i were going to get a raise w no change to my days, id vote yes....maybe they should have looked at a road differential to offset the raise the others get for no life changes

12-10-2009, 10:42 PM
if you vote for the 11.5 does your road make more $ since they will be on that schedule? if not,what is your incentive to vote for it on the road and why would those whos schedule doesnt change vote against it/ i know if i were going to get a raise w no change to my days, id vote yes....maybe they should have looked at a road differential to offset the raise the others get for no life changes

I suggest you read the other post to gather why people voted yes and why they voted no. Plain and simple there is no benefit to the person working it. It only benefits the city so they dont have to hire more people for police coverage. More people on one shift, less they have to pay for over time as well.... We will see how happy everyone is after a year.
And thank you as usual to the ex fop prez for that last ditch effort scare tactic... at least your consistent.
and we know you dont care. you havent cared for the past 20 years but for yourself!

12-11-2009, 01:54 AM
That man has cared for everyone of you more than youll ever know going back to when he started here in 1989 and saw how bad we were getting screwed by the city.
Talk about a man who got screwed...who was # 2 I believe on the Sgts list and got passed over on the Rule of 3....why...cause he is one of us and speaks his mind. An officer, that when he was on mids....kickin ass and takin names and makin loads of felony arrests was told to kick it down a notch. He got so pissed that he got involved with the FOP on the Labor Board, then the PAC and ran for President and won 13 years ago.
And lets look what has been done under his presidency:
1. STEP Pay Plan
2. Take Home Cars
3. Oversaw the FLSA lawsuit
4. Establishment of a PAC who has enabled us to endorse candidates on Council who have furthered our cause
5. Has kept a clear line of communication with Chiefs Sharrett, Massey and Harrison and by virtue of these relationships have helped officers keep their jobs and reduce disciplines
6. Has kept a clear line of communication with City Hall to the point that our relationship with them is the envy of other lodges
7. Our lodge is in a positive cash flow situation because of his financial oversight and control
8. Has helped to negotiate over 5 contracts where for the most part there has been an increase in our benefits and not one reduction in benefits!
9. Has been president for over 13 years and has never wanted fanfare, money or accolades
So lets not confuse what you think is his alterior motives....it is his genuine concern about every one of you and that he is truly scared that if a NO vote occurs, the consequences can be devastating.
Are his "scare"tactics not diplomatic, are they not PC, are they sometimes not 100% correct.....but if you cant get the jist of what he is telling you......and you should because you are all educated men and women!
How about this....on January 14th, 2010.....make sure you attend the FOP meeting and tell him personally thank you and shake his hand for all he did.....or will you be that person that silently and discrettly *****es on LEOAFFAIRS?
If you wanna vote No...so be it....go into the Front Desk...cast your ballot and be silent about it...dont disparage the man....and if you think you need to....at least have some BALLS and do it to his face!
Good Night Sir!

12-11-2009, 03:31 AM
That man has cared for everyone of you more than youll ever know going back to when he started here in 1989 and saw how bad we were getting screwed by the city.
Talk about a man who got screwed...who was # 2 I believe on the Sgts list and got passed over on the Rule of 3....why...cause he is one of us and speaks his mind. An officer, that when he was on mids....kickin ass and takin names and makin loads of felony arrests was told to kick it down a notch. He got so pissed that he got involved with the FOP on the Labor Board, then the PAC and ran for President and won 13 years ago.
1. STEP Pay Plan
2. Take Home Cars
4. Establishment of a PAC who has enabled us to endorse candidates on Council who have furthered our cause
5. Has kept a clear line of communication with Chiefs Sharrett, Massey and Harrison and by virtue of these relationships have helped officers keep their jobs and reduce disciplines
6. Has kept a clear line of communication with City Hall to the point that our relationship with them is the envy of other lodges
7. Our lodge is in a positive cash flow situation because of his financial oversight and control
8. Has helped to negotiate over 5 contracts where for the most part there has been an increase in our benefits and not one reduction in benefits!
9. Has been president for over 13 years and has never wanted fanfare, money or accolades
So lets not confuse what you think is his alterior motives....it is his genuine concern about every one of you and that he is truly scared that if a NO vote occurs, the consequences can be devastating.
Are his "scare"tactics not diplomatic, are they not PC, are they sometimes not 100% correct.....but if you cant get the jist of what he is telling you......and you should because you are all educated men and women!
How about this....on January 14th, 2010.....make sure you attend the FOP meeting and tell him personally thank you and shake his hand for all he did.....or will you be that person that silently and discrettly *****es on LEOAFFAIRS?
If you wanna vote No...so be it....go into the Front Desk...cast your ballot and be silent about it...dont disparage the man....and if you think you need to....at least have some BALLS and do it to his face!
Good Night Sir!

right on man! just like this poster did!!!!

12-12-2009, 12:32 AM
1. STEP Pay Plan
2. Take Home Cars
Good Night Sir!

right on man! just like this poster did!!!!
He is a true leader no complaints here :|

12-13-2009, 02:43 PM
1. STEP Pay Plan
2. Take Home Cars
Good Night Sir!

Nothing like patting yourself on the back eh Miguel?

12-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Having some friends at PPD, I've heard about your upcoming 11.5 hour shifts. I can't believe how you guys voted on it. I do from your union standpoint, but why was it not told to your specialized unit that they too would be voting on a 11.5 hour day? Don't give them the option of a shorter 10 hour day and have them vote in favor for road patrols 11.5 hour day. Step back and look for a moment. You had a union vote, which does need to include all of the union body. But you voted once on literally two different things. 10 hour shifts for specialized and 11.5 for road with a yes or no vote. You guys on the road would never get a fair vote like this.

Is the majority of your board in specialized units?

As for 11.5 hour days. I've worked 12 hour shifts. When we first heard about the extra days off, it was easy to see the bright lights. Kind of like that cheap used car add that catches your attention. Extra time off, less days at work during the year, more time for details and off duty activity. It sounds great and if it's what the city or administration wants, then that's what they want you to see. It's like a advertisement.

But I promise you, that you will see for yourself. It's not that great. The shifts are long and if you work in a busy area there is alot of frustration. You'll be tired that when you go home, you'll just want to go to bed. Then it starts over. Yes, the days off are great, but did I read correctly that you guys are talking about Thur-Sat and Sun-Mon off? Will your specialized units get that or will they have Fri-Sun off or Sat-Mon off, assuming they work daytime hours.

Where is the incentive for you guys to even work a 11.5 hour shift if you don't even have a shot at all the weekend off?

From what I hear, it sounds like you guys are voted in favor for a 11.5 hour shift. Albeit, allowing the specialized units to know they would have a option of a 10 hour shift. If that is fair where you work, so be it. Good luck and be safe.

Great post. You are absolutely right, road patrol got the shaft. This was not a fair vote. The 11.5's should have applied to everyone. That's how the vote should have been. The 11.5's are going to devastate families and lower morale.

Hey, here's an idea. We'll give up our standby and in return we'll work 11.5's. Oh, and no raise for a year. How insane is that?

VOTE NO AND KEEP OUR STANDBY AND OUR 8 HOUR SHIFTS.

12-13-2009, 10:34 PM
And the board is comprised of all members in a specialized unit that could benefit if a 10 hour schedule was approved for their unit.

None from the road, so yes road patrol got the shaft in that vote. Look who it benefited and look where majority of yes votes came from. That's why you don't see our board making sure it was a fair vote.

Great post. You are absolutely right, road patrol got the shaft. This was not a fair vote. The 11.5's should have applied to everyone. That's how the vote should have been. The 11.5's are going to devastate families and lower morale.

Hey, here's an idea. We'll give up our standby and in return we'll work 11.5's. Oh, and no raise for a year. How insane is that?

12-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Because I believe in transparancy, I'm going to give you some answers to your post:
1. Yes, the 4 of us on the board are on specialized units, but that is who ran and who you voted in.
2. Dont ASSUME that all of us voted yes for the shifts, becuase I for one voted No
3. There is No other way to do a fair vote because we were all hired to do and at some point might be back on the road (which I believe is the most noble job in the agency).
4. If you dont like the make up of the Board.....seriously....after I am sworn in I will be accepting names to fill the vacancy on the Labor Board...I do hope to get a number of names I can choose from to replace Mike.
As much as I believe in transparancy...poster......Im not asking you to divuldge your identity, but what I ask is that you bring to the table...constructive input on how we can make things better!

And the board is comprised of all members in a specialized unit that could benefit if a 10 hour schedule was approved for their unit.

None from the road, so yes road patrol got the shaft in that vote. Look who it benefited and look where majority of yes votes came from. That's why you don't see our board making sure it was a fair vote.

12-14-2009, 01:14 PM

All will better once in the new building
All will better when H.H. becomes chief
All will be better when we get a 12 hour shift
All will be better when there's a new mayor
All will be better with a new contract
All will be better when the wellness program starts
WHO CARES AT THIS POINT!!!

12-16-2009, 02:03 AM
All will be better, your absolutely correct. Staying focused ok, remaining united ok, but please folks lets try to occasionally appreciate what we do have here at the PD. This list could go on and on but that's way too boring to generate any real interest. Stay safe and just in case anyone cares the 8 hour shifts are just right for me.

12-16-2009, 05:04 AM
:shock: As to the post by our neighbors in Davie; why would you give up the 10 hour shift for a 11.5 or 12 to begin with? Of course you guys hated it. 10 hour is the way to go. Unfortunately for us at PPD, 10 hours were given up many years ago and we all know it will never be back.

As to specialized units voting on the shift issue, they are union members and therefore they should have a say. By the looks of the postings, i say we should just forget about the 11.5 and stick to the 8's.

One thing about our officers at PPD, we have always lacked unity. Always been about individual needs. Officers don't get involved to help make things better around here but they will talk crap about those that try. Until that changes, i will vote for what i believe is best for me at the present time. "YES"!!!!

12-16-2009, 12:11 PM
:shock: As to the post by our neighbors in Davie; why would you give up the 10 hour shift for a 11.5 or 12 to begin with? Of course you guys hated it. 10 hour is the way to go. Unfortunately for us at PPD, 10 hours were given up many years ago and we all know it will never be back.

As to specialized units voting on the shift issue, they are union members and therefore they should have a say. By the looks of the postings, i say we should just forget about the 11.5 and stick to the 8's.

One thing about our officers at PPD, we have always lacked unity. Always been about individual needs. Officers don't get involved to help make things better around here but they will talk crap about those that try. Until that changes, i will vote for what i believe is best for me at the present time. "YES"!!!!

seems like the body did stick together on this one didnt they? now senior people who in the past seemed like the ME generation are freeking out cause this thing you called a contract was voted down... Mind you it might have not been the best chioce, however a choice was made..seems like the majority younger members know how to stick together and maybe the old crowd need to take some lessons on unity... However now that cetrain things are off the table with a new proposal, im inclined to change "no" to a "yes" as silly as it may seem...you may not br able to fight city hall, as the old saying goes, but you can influence things is this place... and yes other poster, always appreciative what I have, however lets not pretend we are living in a utopia...

12-16-2009, 02:57 PM

Keep voting YES and you will always be in the minority. It won't make things better for us when our health insurance is increased, we lose standby time, we don't get raises and we work longer hours.

12-16-2009, 04:39 PM

Davie was told that they would receive their raise only if they went to the 12s otherwise it would be a long time negotiation with minimal riases in sight...since over half of the members didnt have to work the 12s, the vote was by all members and we went to 12s even though over half stayed on the 10s qand got the same raise...
18 months later guess what ...back to the 10s because the 12s,like the 11.5s only benefits the town and caused a dramatic increase in sick time,accidents and serious shortages due to overlapping schedules...be careful if you vote for 11.5s because management will immediately cut positions that are vacant and they will never, no matter what they tell you, they will never be filled again and even if you return to 8s or 10s, you will always work with less....go check your membership from 10 years ago and see how many more cops you have now and then check the population increase...im betting your short good luck and stay together

12-16-2009, 05:59 PM
"Davie was told that they would receive their raise only if they went to the 12s otherwise it would be a long time negotiation with minimal riases in sight..."
Nothing like being bent over a barrel. Is'nt this a form of coercion

12-16-2009, 08:06 PM

Davie was told that they would receive their raise only if they went to the 12s otherwise it would be a long time negotiation with minimal riases in sight...since over half of the members didnt have to work the 12s, the vote was by all members and we went to 12s even though over half stayed on the 10s qand got the same raise...
18 months later guess what ...back to the 10s because the 12s,like the 11.5s only benefits the town and caused a dramatic increase in sick time,accidents and serious shortages due to overlapping schedules...be careful if you vote for 11.5s because management will immediately cut positions that are vacant and they will never, no matter what they tell you, they will never be filled again and even if you return to 8s or 10s, you will always work with less....go check your membership from 10 years ago and see how many more cops you have now and then check the population increase...im betting your short good luck and stay together

They wont listen Davie...we are shorter now then before...we had a 4/3 and most loved it.. but wait, specialized units didnt have that back then and guess who sold the road out for $$$$? thats right the specialized units along with members who are LEAVING now!!! they were the know all... just sit back and watch the circus unfold here when the city imposes there contract on us...

12-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Sounds like someone talking about shit that wasn't even around then. :evil:

12-16-2009, 10:37 PM
The questions now regarding the 11.5 hour shifts for everyone is this:
1. Do you really want to work 11.5 hours vs. 8 hours
2. Do you really want the extra days off?
3. Are you willing to work on a holiday and only get paid for 8 hours, which will be at 1.5 rate (as opposed to old striaght time rate) and the other 3.5 would be at straight time
4. Are you willing to take a holiday off and burn 3.5 hours of your own time?
5. If you comp'd the holiday, does the idea of getting 12 hours entice you.
These are the questions everyone needs to ask themselves regarding these shifts.
The city's present postion is that the will only pay/comp holidays in 8 hour accruals....no more.

12-17-2009, 02:54 AM
Sounds like someone talking about shizzat that wasn't even around then. :evil:
and you sound like some 5 years and under snot nose that wants everything in 6 months. unfortunately I was around snapper head...if your going to curse have the balls to say it, not spell it like some young punk...

12-17-2009, 03:12 PM
And you guys really voted "yes" to those shifts? That is not called negotiating, that is called "I'll bend over, you do the rest, but don't use the large pineapples"

The questions now regarding the 11.5 hour shifts for everyone is this:
1. Do you really want to work 11.5 hours vs. 8 hours
2. Do you really want the extra days off?
3. Are you willing to work on a holiday and only get paid for 8 hours, which will be at 1.5 rate (as opposed to old striaght time rate) and the other 3.5 would be at straight time
4. Are you willing to take a holiday off and burn 3.5 hours of your own time?
5. If you comp'd the holiday, does the idea of getting 12 hours entice you.
These are the questions everyone needs to ask themselves regarding these shifts.
The city's present postion is that the will only pay/comp holidays in 8 hour accruals....no more.

12-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Worse yet, we asked for those shifts.

12-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Worse yet, we asked for those shifts.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!! I have you all right where I want you....Divided and conquered...

12-22-2009, 03:45 AM
the truth is they don't care about any of you. underpaid and overworked is what you are. go stand guard at the holiday parade or art in the park. sign up for the santa detail or don't what do they care. they will just make road patrol do it. all they care about is their image. you guys look good in your uniforms and cars with your sirens blarring so the good citizens of plantation can piss and moan that santa did not come down their side of the street.

12-22-2009, 03:03 PM
I dare ask, How did the "negotiation" session go yesterday?

12-22-2009, 05:12 PM
And I, Dare To Answer...lol
The session went very well and was productive
Both sides are conducting research as it relates to OT/Court/Standby Payroll.
When that is completed, a session will be planned to discuss that and ways to address the Court Standby issue
if youd like specifics, contact a Labor Board member.

12-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Your response is Greatly Appreciated its nice to know we're still communicating

12-24-2009, 03:40 AM
Are 12 hour shifts still a consideration?

When that is completed, a session will be planned to discuss that and ways to address the Court Standby issue

12-24-2009, 03:51 AM
the truth is they don't care about any of you. underpaid and overworked is what you are. go stand guard at the holiday parade or art in the park. sign up for the santa detail or don't what do they care. they will just make road patrol do it. all they care about is their image. you guys look good in your uniforms and cars with your sirens blarring so the good citizens of plantation can piss and moan that santa did not come down their side of the street.

You are so absolutely correct with this post saint nick. The sad part is that until we stand our ground and dont accept everything as being great than we will all be stuck with whatever the city wants. I'm a dreamer, but what a fricken waste of money on the BS santa detail. They have nothing to offer any of the city workers for the year other than we love you and we need you, but we will offer 10 of you paid overtime to escort a bunch of nonrealistic santas around town so a few kids and say oh look mom, look at that fake santa throwing candy. OH the police lights and siren are reallly fricken cool dad. I'm sure the public work folks are just as thrilled they are being told they need to work as well. Yes I'm VERY grateful to be working, and still enjoy the job 99% of the time, but this BS that the city is spewing is giving me a ulcer. I sure hope the cops and public works guys dont get the swine flu before santa arrives, that would terrible. I feel my inside bleeding over this crap but I can't afford to see the gastro doctor with the UHC copays, which I might add appear to be going up as well. Lets spend (waste) some more city $$$$ on santa, or a bunch of cheap politically correct holiday decorations at our fire stations and parks. I'm offended, very offended, does anyone agree with me or am I just suffering from a severe case of your an idiot. Maybe tinkerbell will show up and wand us all with we really do love you cant you tell how much we appreciate you dust. I'm O Negative just in the event I start puking blood. Just in case I need a transfusion please assure me MM or the other three faced folks are not standing in line just to appear concerned. Go Santa go!

12-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Yes they are, but they do factor into the whole proposal. Once we hammer out the $'s and details, we will let everyone know with a special meeting.
Happy Holidyas Everyone and be Safe!

12-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Damn, I was actually looking optimistic towards a resolution, but not while 12 hours are still possible.

Yes they are, but they do factor into the whole proposal. Once we hammer out the $'s and details, we will let everyone know with a special meeting.
Happy Holidyas Everyone and be Safe!

12-24-2009, 08:02 PM

Where else could the city waste money. Fairy tales are just great here in Plantation.

"In the modern Cinderella fairy tale we have the beautiful Cinderella swept off her feet by the prince and her wicked step sisters marrying two lords – with everyone living happily ever after. The fairy tale has its origins way back in the 1st century BC where Strabo’s heroine was actually called Rhodopis, not Cinderella. The story was very similar to the modern one with the exception of the glass slippers and pumpkin coach. But, lurking behind the pretty tale is a more sinister variation by the Grimm brothers: in this version, the nasty step-sisters cut off parts of their own feet in order to fit them into the glass slipper – hoping to fool the prince. The prince is alerted to the trickery by two pigeons who peck out the step sister’s eyes. They end up spending the rest of their lives as blind beggars while Cinderella gets to lounge about in luxury at the prince’s castle."

This was not a nice story, and neither is working without a contract!

12-25-2009, 01:41 AM
All i want for christmas is;

1. To keep my 8 hour shift.

12-25-2009, 05:34 AM

2. And my standby

12-25-2009, 04:18 PM
[quote="saint nick":xfoe6k78]the truth is they don't care about any of you. underpaid and overworked is what you are. go stand guard at the holiday parade or art in the park. sign up for the santa detail or don't what do they care. they will just make road patrol do it. all they care about is their image. you guys look good in your uniforms and cars with your sirens blarring so the good citizens of plantation can piss and moan that santa did not come down their side of the street.

Where else could the city waste money. Fairy tales are just great here in Plantation.

"In the modern Cinderella fairy tale we have the beautiful Cinderella swept off her feet by the prince and her wicked step sisters marrying two lords – with everyone living happily ever after. The fairy tale has its origins way back in the 1st century BC where Strabo’s heroine was actually called Rhodopis, not Cinderella. The story was very similar to the modern one with the exception of the glass slippers and pumpkin coach. But, lurking behind the pretty tale is a more sinister variation by the Grimm brothers: in this version, the nasty step-sisters cut off parts of their own feet in order to fit them into the glass slipper – hoping to fool the prince. The prince is alerted to the trickery by two pigeons who peck out the step sister’s eyes. They end up spending the rest of their lives as blind beggars while Cinderella gets to lounge about in luxury at the prince’s castle."

This was not a nice story, and neither is working without a contract![/quote:xfoe6k78]

Wow you have talent here, but not as a cop!!! lol

12-26-2009, 01:01 AM

All I want for Christmas is;

1. To start the 11.5 hr shifts
2. Enjoy the mini-vacations every week
3. Plan how to use all the free time with all the extra days off.

JM, are we addressing all the concerns brought up in the emergency meeting or just concentrating on the stand by issue. I trust the board's goal is to satisfy all the members and not just reach the minimum vote to get this to pass. Happy Holidays and thank you again for all your hard work.

12-26-2009, 01:16 PM

JM, are we addressing all the concerns brought up in the emergency meeting or just concentrating on the stand by issue. I trust the board's goal is to satisfy all the members and not just reach the minimum vote to get this to pass. Happy Holidays and thank you again for all your hard work.

Sure cause God forbid you have any responsibility to anything other than your selfish self right? Pfft! mini vacation. get real

12-26-2009, 04:32 PM
mini vacation? seriously? ask anyone at another agency and they will tell you that at first it seemed great,then the continuous grind sets in and people get hurt, call in sick etc,,,guess what that set of days off become shorter and shorter and boom....your miserable once the stand by is gone you make it up with ot or details which drain you even more....be careful what you wish for...

12-26-2009, 09:49 PM
The Board is primarily looking into the Standby Issue as it seems to not only be the most important but could be the costliest for members.
To get the Standby back as it was, the Board is looking at a number of variables and options.
A special meeting will be called in the future to discuss/present an offer when it is reached with the city.
if youd like specifics, contact someone on the Labor Board....thanks!

12-27-2009, 02:42 PM
1. Definitely not married
2. Definitely no kids
3. Definitely no responsibility

I miss living with my parents.

12-27-2009, 02:51 PM
mini vacation? seriously? ask anyone at another agency and they will tell you that at first it seemed great,then the continuous grind sets in and people get hurt, call in sick etc,,,guess what that set of days off become shorter and shorter and boom....your miserable once the stand by is gone you make it up with ot or details which drain you even more....be careful what you wish for...

Actuall spoke to over a dozen officers from several different agencies and every single one of them love the 12hr shifts and ALL say it was the best thing the department did for them and NONE of them said they would go back to 8's. Seriously if your saying 4 days off would seem shorter and shorter, how do you think 2 days off feel now ? Mini vacation ? Do you honestly think guys would be calling in 67 as much if they are only working 3 days that week. And if you work a 4hr detail on one of your 4 days off is going to kill you, you get serious. We are going to piss away this opportunity to be inline with the rest of the world and we will regret it.

12-28-2009, 01:13 AM
36MI85

Actuall spoke to over a dozen officers from several different agencies and every single one of them love the 12hr shifts and ALL say it was the best thing the department did for them and NONE of them said they would go back to 8's. Seriously if your saying 4 days off would seem shorter and shorter, how do you think 2 days off feel now ? Mini vacation ? Do you honestly think guys would be calling in 67 as much if they are only working 3 days that week. And if you work a 4hr detail on one of your 4 days off is going to kill you, you get serious. We are going to piss away this opportunity to be inline with the rest of the world and we will regret it.

And there are officers from several agencies that took the time to respond on this thread and have stated how terrible the 11.5's are.

A mini vacation - get real! You need a full day just to recover from the long shifts, and forget about any semblence of a life before and after your shift on your work days.

JM, standby is not the only issue. Lose the 11.5's.

12-28-2009, 02:38 AM
And there are officers from several agencies that took the time to respond on this thread and have stated how terrible the 11.5's are.

A mini vacation - get real! You need a full day just to recover from the long shifts, and forget about any semblence of a life before and after your shift on your work days.

JM, standby is not the only issue. Lose the 11.5's.[/quote]

JM, the board should be addressing all the issues that concern the union they represent, not just enough to get minimum votes.
Keep the 11.5's, some how every other agency in the state of Florida has made it work, and since there isn't a great transfer of officers from other agencies to Plantation obviously most are happy with it. And all the anonymous posters from other agencies are just Plantations finest with scare tactics.

12-28-2009, 02:49 AM

SD

SO THIS IS AN ANONYMOUS POSTER FROM PLANTATION USING SCARE TACTICS?

DROP THE 11.5'S. OUR FAMILIES COME FIRST!

12-28-2009, 03:45 PM
[quote="davie 634":2nq5tm9f]Many of you know me and that my 10-12 is an SRO with you guys. I wanted to give you some insight as to what caused our situation with the 12's. I happened to be on our union exec. board at the time of our last contract and was privy to the actual negotiations. We were told during closed door sessions that we would be going to a 12 hour shift weather we liked it or not (as spelled out as "management rights"). Previously being at Hallandale and well versed in the 12 hour shifts, I was adamantly against it. I tried to relay to the membership, the terrible working conditions that would exist. There were several that listened, but others that only looked at the extra day off every other week the driving factor. To make matters worse, the Town required ONLY the road to work 12's and dangled the 19.8% raise over three years to the rest of the dept. (i.e. bureau, vin, traffic, etc)who would stay on 10's or 8's for the SRO's. So basically we had the entire dept. voting on 12's that only affected 80 officers and the rest were merely voting for a raise. Needless to say, after 1.5 yrs. we are back to 10's because the town didn't factor in the 4 hrs. of O.T. paid out bi-weekly to those working 12's. It as also negotiated that the only shifts we COULD work would be 12's or 10's (note: 8's were not an option).

SD

DROP THE 11.5'S. OUR FAMILIES COME FIRST![/quote:2nq5tm9f]

1! THATS WHAT WE ARE SUPPOSE TO BASE OUR DECISION ON ! 1 GUY FROM ANOTHER AGENCY DOESN'T LIKE THE HOURS SO WE ARE SUPPOSE TO VOTE DOWN ANY CHANGE ?
KEEP THE 11.5'S AND SPEND 4 FULL DAYS WITH YOUR FAMILY !
WORKING 3 EXTRA HOURS ISN'T GOING TO ROB YOU OF YOUR FAMILY TIME. YOU'LL HAVE 2 ADDITIONAL DAYS OFF TO MAKE UP THE LOST TIME.
FAMILY FIRST !
11.5's !!!

12-28-2009, 05:06 PM
if you want to get an honest answer from other agencies about 11.5s/ 12 s/ etc go to them and ask them or their union or board members ...then ask yourself is my life similar to thiers? are they married w/ kids ...no kids... single...work nights?etc....then as a union discuss them together, not divided.... just a few people who the change WONT apply too who have an equal vote can easily cause you to lean one way or the other...dont be fooled solely by the lure of the days off because when the summer rolls around it all changes...if you do vote for the shifts at least get as much as you can for thsoe who have to work em

12-28-2009, 09:12 PM
[quote="davie 634":23m843ks]Many of you know me and that my 10-12 is an SRO with you guys. I wanted to give you some insight as to what caused our situation with the 12's. I happened to be on our union exec. board at the time of our last contract and was privy to the actual negotiations. We were told during closed door sessions that we would be going to a 12 hour shift weather we liked it or not (as spelled out as "management rights"). Previously being at Hallandale and well versed in the 12 hour shifts, I was adamantly against it. I tried to relay to the membership, the terrible working conditions that would exist. There were several that listened, but others that only looked at the extra day off every other week the driving factor. To make matters worse, the Town required ONLY the road to work 12's and dangled the 19.8% raise over three years to the rest of the dept. (i.e. bureau, vin, traffic, etc)who would stay on 10's or 8's for the SRO's. So basically we had the entire dept. voting on 12's that only affected 80 officers and the rest were merely voting for a raise. Needless to say, after 1.5 yrs. we are back to 10's because the town didn't factor in the 4 hrs. of O.T. paid out bi-weekly to those working 12's. It as also negotiated that the only shifts we COULD work would be 12's or 10's (note: 8's were not an option).

SD

DROP THE 11.5'S. OUR FAMILIES COME FIRST!

1! THATS WHAT WE ARE SUPPOSE TO BASE OUR DECISION ON ! 1 GUY FROM ANOTHER AGENCY DOESN'T LIKE THE HOURS SO WE ARE SUPPOSE TO VOTE DOWN ANY CHANGE ?
WORKING 3 EXTRA HOURS ISN'T GOING TO ROB YOU OF YOUR FAMILY TIME. YOU'LL HAVE 2 ADDITIONAL DAYS OFF TO MAKE UP THE LOST TIME.
FAMILY FIRST !
11.5's !!![/quote:23m843ks]

Here Here, well spoken from the non married, no kids, single guy whos drunk every night at The falcon pub.. What about summer rocket scientist... School isnt year round retard

12-29-2009, 02:56 AM
FAMILY FIRST !
11.5's !!![/quote]

Here Here, well spoken from the non married, no kids, single guy whos drunk every night at The falcon pub.. What about summer rocket scientist... School isnt year round retard[/quote]

Actually, married, 2 kids, sober and unless your a single parent you have a spouse correct ? Its called adjustment, take responsibilty and do what you have to do. Thats the easliest answer is to assume only the younger single guys want the 11.5's, and or we are retards for having common sense. Regardless, you will have your wish and we will most likely stay on 8's and regret it.

12-29-2009, 06:25 PM
well obviously you never worked the hurricanes. 12 hour shifts are hard. The hours that are posted lets see getting off at 530 630 or 730 p obviously someone has never worked afternoons as you will be on a late call as some zone partners will not cancel you and your 11.5 hour day becomes 12 hour days. Or if you get off on 430 530 630 am someone clearly has not midnights as most perimeters start at 4 am and you really think at 430 you can magically leave your point so your 11.5 hour day becomes 12 or more hours. Lets not forget some of the early bravo people like 2 hour briefings where the can get coffee and breakfast so 530 and 630 will be at work longer which will make your commute even longer because thats rush hour traffic. There"s a bigger picture then just 3 and 4 days off, When you have court at 11 am until 4 pm and have to come into work with not much sleep. How are you going to function as a police officer or a backup unless you get zero subpoenas. Oh Btw I voted for the 8 hours because I have thought that far because I have had to stay late and/or gone to court and it's hard.

12-30-2009, 08:05 PM
FAMILY FIRST !
11.5's !!!

Here Here, well spoken from the non married, no kids, single guy whos drunk every night at The falcon pub.. What about summer rocket scientist... School isnt year round retard[/quote]

Actually, married, 2 kids, sober and unless your a single parent you have a spouse correct ? Its called adjustment, take responsibilty and do what you have to do. Thats the easliest answer is to assume only the younger single guys want the 11.5's, and or we are retards for having common sense. Regardless, you will have your wish and we will most likely stay on 8's and regret it.[/quote]

Actually hmmmm, NOT!!! not sure about your lifestyle but my children are my priority, not this place. Go ahaead stay away as long as you can from your children, dont worry the nanny state government(police) will raise your child.

Sherlock
12-31-2009, 05:17 AM
I am wondering what your 8 hour schedule is like now, in reference to days off. Do they rotate, or are they static?

The reason I ask is because, I have worked several different varying schedules consisting of: 8 hour schedules with fixed days off; 8.5 hour schedules, with four days on, three days off, five days on, two days off ( or something like that); 12 hour schedules that rotated Mon, Tues ON, Wed, Thurs, OFF, Fri, Sat, Sun, ON, then the following week was Mon, Tues OFF, Wed, Thurs ON, Fri, Sat, Sun OFF - so the most days you worked in a row were three, and you had a three day weekend every other weekend; four 11 hours days on, four off; and now, in a specialized unit, 10 hour days with 4 on, 3 off (Sat-Mon).

I am married, with children. I have to say that, although the longer days are hard some times, I would NEVER want to go back to 8 hours, 5 on 2 off. Our agency switched to the 11 hour days several years ago, and no one wants to give them up. In fact, we have a hard time filling vacancies in the specialized units because officers don't want to give up the 4 on, 4 off.

Maybe a more flexible shift schedule would help make it work for everyone. We have two different staggered day shifts, and night shifts. One day shift comes in at 0600 and works until 1700. The other works 0900 to 2000. The evening shifts work 1630 to 0330, and 2000 to 0700. With the overlapping, rarely does someone get stuck working overtime. All of our shifts are filled by officer selection and everyone is on the shift they selected. Not one person is assigned on a shift they don't want (those with seniority, and the newer officers). With all the variety of shift schedules, everyone finds one that works for them and their particular needs (family, or single life). And, with the larger number of officers on the road at any given time, it increased coverage and assisted with individual call load.

I really recommend you try something like this. As a married person with children, I found that the 11 hour 4-4 schedule ended up giving me more time with my family, even though I gave up the three hours on the days I worked. We have actually found that because of the four on, four off, that sick leave abuse has gone down. There has also been no increase in the number of accidents.

Your need to use vacation time is also reduced, as four days is often enough for a long weekend getaway, or you could take a full twelve days off by burning only 4 days. I don't know if you can cash-in leave time like we can; but, saving on using leave time gives you the option to have more hours available to cash in. (BTW I do agree that the city should compensate you 11.5 for 11.5 worked, even on holidays.) We did away with Vacation leave versus Sick leave and lumped it all together as Personal Leave. You can use your time however you choose. If you burn it all up, and get sick...well....that's another problem. Hower,we added an accrual of Acute Leave, at something like 4 hours a month. If an officer is out sick in excess of three days, using their own Personal Leave for those first three days, with a physician's note, then the Acute Leave kicks in and we don't have to burn any more of our Personal Leave. For instance, when my wife gives birth later this year, I will only have to burn three days of Personal Leave to take off a month for "Paternity Leave." Since I have been fortunate enough to have not need to dip into my Acute Leave, I have hundreds of hours accrued and won't even use half of it for that time. If you are interested in understanding it all more clearly and more in-depth, here is a link to our current contract: http://www.pbcpba.org/PDF/PBG-Officers-Sgts%202007-2010.pdf

If four on four off seems too difficult, look into how a three on three off schedule might work, or three on-four off, four on-three off.

Also of note, is that with our 11 hour shifts instead of the 11.5, we came up a little short on hours worked for the month. So, in adjustment, those on the four on four off schedule come in for 8 hours on one of their days off, once a month for our monthly in-service training day.

Another option for your contract dispute, since there seems to be some contention between those in the specialized units voting in a manner that effects the road, is to stipulate that they will be granted the 4-3, 10 hour shifts, regardless of the outcome of the vote for the 11.5 hour shifts.

I have to say it is disappointing to hear of so much dissatisfaction amongst the officers at PPD. I grew up in Plantation and wanted to someday be a Plantation Police Officer. Relocation and other life factors led me away from there and I ended up going elsewhere. It is ironic that I just discovered today that a PPD cruiser was parked in a driveway in my neighborhood, all the way up here in WPB. Almost made me feel nostalgic for a moment....

Good luck on the whole matter.

Either way,
Stay Safe!

12-31-2009, 03:59 PM
thanks for the time you put in for that post...you make great points for both sides of us who are voting but the biggest problem we have here is manpower to fill the shifts as well as most wouldnt get to choose what they want since there can only be so many slots(yes i know this is true for all shifts) and days off are key for senority...being here 20 years or 20 days the bottom line is we dont want the new shifts if we give up standby and we dont get paid for hours worked...8s suck but better than 11. w no standby

12-31-2009, 06:00 PM
As a LEO with 10+ years, why would I want to have a rotating schedule? What purpose would senority play and who wants to work a full weekend when theyve been here almost 15 or 20 and a newbie gets the same schedule? Then they leave us 2 years later but man were happy we gave them those days off? I want me standby

01-01-2010, 01:02 AM
I am wondering what your 8 hour schedule is like now, in reference to days off. Do they rotate, or are they static?

The reason I ask is because, I have worked several different varying schedules consisting of: 8 hour schedules with fixed days off; 8.5 hour schedules, with four days on, three days off, five days on, two days off ( or something like that); 12 hour schedules that rotated Mon, Tues ON, Wed, Thurs, OFF, Fri, Sat, Sun, ON, then the following week was Mon, Tues OFF, Wed, Thurs ON, Fri, Sat, Sun OFF - so the most days you worked in a row were three, and you had a three day weekend every other weekend; four 11 hours days on, four off; and now, in a specialized unit, 10 hour days with 4 on, 3 off (Sat-Mon).

I am married, with children. I have to say that, although the longer days are hard some times, I would NEVER want to go back to 8 hours, 5 on 2 off. Our agency switched to the 11 hour days several years ago, and no one wants to give them up. In fact, we have a hard time filling vacancies in the specialized units because officers don't want to give up the 4 on, 4 off.

Maybe a more flexible shift schedule would help make it work for everyone. We have two different staggered day shifts, and night shifts. One day shift comes in at 0600 and works until 1700. The other works 0900 to 2000. The evening shifts work 1630 to 0330, and 2000 to 0700. With the overlapping, rarely does someone get stuck working overtime. All of our shifts are filled by officer selection and everyone is on the shift they selected. Not one person is assigned on a shift they don't want (those with seniority, and the newer officers). With all the variety of shift schedules, everyone finds one that works for them and their particular needs (family, or single life). And, with the larger number of officers on the road at any given time, it increased coverage and assisted with individual call load.

I really recommend you try something like this. As a married person with children, I found that the 11 hour 4-4 schedule ended up giving me more time with my family, even though I gave up the three hours on the days I worked. We have actually found that because of the four on, four off, that sick leave abuse has gone down. There has also been no increase in the number of accidents.

Your need to use vacation time is also reduced, as four days is often enough for a long weekend getaway, or you could take a full twelve days off by burning only 4 days. I don't know if you can cash-in leave time like we can; but, saving on using leave time gives you the option to have more hours available to cash in. (BTW I do agree that the city should compensate you 11.5 for 11.5 worked, even on holidays.) We did away with Vacation leave versus Sick leave and lumped it all together as Personal Leave. You can use your time however you choose. If you burn it all up, and get sick...well....that's another problem. Hower,we added an accrual of Acute Leave, at something like 4 hours a month. If an officer is out sick in excess of three days, using their own Personal Leave for those first three days, with a physician's note, then the Acute Leave kicks in and we don't have to burn any more of our Personal Leave. For instance, when my wife gives birth later this year, I will only have to burn three days of Personal Leave to take off a month for "Paternity Leave." Since I have been fortunate enough to have not need to dip into my Acute Leave, I have hundreds of hours accrued and won't even use half of it for that time. If you are interested in understanding it all more clearly and more in-depth, here is a link to our current contract: http://www.pbcpba.org/PDF/PBG-Officers-Sgts%202007-2010.pdf

If four on four off seems too difficult, look into how a three on three off schedule might work, or three on-four off, four on-three off.

Also of note, is that with our 11 hour shifts instead of the 11.5, we came up a little short on hours worked for the month. So, in adjustment, those on the four on four off schedule come in for 8 hours on one of their days off, once a month for our monthly in-service training day.

Another option for your contract dispute, since there seems to be some contention between those in the specialized units voting in a manner that effects the road, is to stipulate that they will be granted the 4-3, 10 hour shifts, regardless of the outcome of the vote for the 11.5 hour shifts.

I have to say it is disappointing to hear of so much dissatisfaction amongst the officers at PPD. I grew up in Plantation and wanted to someday be a Plantation Police Officer. Relocation and other life factors led me away from there and I ended up going elsewhere. It is ironic that I just discovered today that a PPD cruiser was parked in a driveway in my neighborhood, all the way up here in WPB. Almost made me feel nostalgic for a moment....

Good luck on the whole matter.

Either way,
Stay Safe!

Thanks, The problem is they want to attach on the contract the idea of losing standby with the 11.5...Im sure if they left standby alone and kept the 11.5 on the contract, it would probably pass. Like the US Govt adds earmarks, and we know how everything runs so smooth with our Fed system of Govt hhmmmm?

01-01-2010, 01:28 AM
We are just F'd up, plain and simple. Even our proposed 11.5 hour shift left days off of Thur, Fri, Sat or Sun, Mon, Tue with every other Wednesday off. Most everywhere else at least gives the Fri, Sat, Sun off or Mon, Tue, Wed off. Yeah, it sucks for the new guys but afterwhile they are up there with seniority and can enjoy a weekend off. The way the days off are structured here, you can't really have a weekend off. Oh, unless your in a specialized unit or administration.

01-01-2010, 05:05 PM
well obviously you never worked the hurricanes. 12 hour shifts are hard. The hours that are posted lets see getting off at 530 630 or 730 p obviously someone has never worked afternoons as you will be on a late call as some zone partners will not cancel you and your 11.5 hour day becomes 12 hour days. Or if you get off on 430 530 630 am someone clearly has not midnights as most perimeters start at 4 am and you really think at 430 you can magically leave your point so your 11.5 hour day becomes 12 or more hours. Lets not forget some of the early bravo people like 2 hour briefings where the can get coffee and breakfast so 530 and 630 will be at work longer which will make your commute even longer because thats rush hour traffic. There"s a bigger picture then just 3 and 4 days off, When you have court at 11 am until 4 pm and have to come into work with not much sleep. How are you going to function as a police officer or a backup unless you get zero subpoenas. Oh Btw I voted for the 8 hours because I have thought that far because I have had to stay late and/or gone to court and it's hard.

You make a very valid debate. I wonder how EVERY other department in the state and majority of the country have overcome these issues. Hmm? We're not pioneering a new concept here.

01-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Actually hmmmm, NOT!!! not sure about your lifestyle but my children are my priority, not this place. Go ahaead stay away as long as you can from your children, dont worry the nanny state government(police) will raise your child.[/quote]

HA thats great you said "NOT", must be an SRO and having your kids post for you. Yeh, you make no sense, work an extra 3 hours and get 2 extra days with your kids to get that father of the year award. I hope we stay on 8's I don't want HRS taking my kids.

01-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Actually hmmmm, NOT!!! not sure about your lifestyle but my children are my priority, not this place. Go ahaead stay away as long as you can from your children, dont worry the nanny state government(police) will raise your child.

HA thats great you said "NOT", must be an SRO and having your kids post for you. Yeh, you make no sense, work an extra 3 hours and get 2 extra days with your kids to get that father of the year award. I hope we stay on 8's I don't want HRS taking my kids.[/quote]

What ever. dont get your vagaga in a bind cause you have to work a 5-2. and the specilized unit wont get their precious 4-3. to hell with all you brain dead tards

01-03-2010, 07:57 PM

You make a very valid debate. I wonder how EVERY other department in the state and majority of the country have overcome these issues. Hmm? We're not pioneering a new concept here.
i think its difficult to speak for every dept without speaking with them right? with that said, each dept that does change to an over 10 hour shift(11/11.5/12) has done so with certain specific benefits that do not apply to us as is. go to any random depts website, email a member and ask how/what they received for chenging their lives before assuming theyre happy