PDA

View Full Version : punishment

10-13-2009, 01:12 AM
If everyone is aware that punishment here is way to harsh, how is it that it continues to happen? And why is it that only road guys get punished? There are several supervisors who should have been in more trouble than they ever got, so I guess my question is for two people; Why do you over punish the "regular" guys and support your administrative staff when they do wrong? Are they above our rules and regulations?

The message your sending is loud and clear, if we screw up, your going to hammer us, and continue to beat down a crappy morale, and if a staff memeber screws up they aren't going to receive any discipline, and your going to continue to beat down the morale, either way it doesn't make anyone want to do anything more than come to work and go home.

Tiredofcomplaining`
10-31-2009, 03:45 PM
My new view of how things should go. If you don't like it, get involved in the union and try to get it changed. We need a lot of people to have the mayor get the top two out.

Second, if you don't want to be a part of the solution and just want to moan and groan, quit and go work somewhere else. Obviously you work here for a reason. Either family in town or couldn't get hired somewhere else.

People complain, but if you hear stories from the ones going other places, we do not work at the worst department.

11-19-2009, 09:10 PM
My new view of how things should go. If you don't like it, get involved in the union and try to get it changed. We need a lot of people to have the mayor get the top two out.

Second, if you don't want to be a part of the solution and just want to moan and groan, quit and go work somewhere else. Obviously you work here for a reason. Either family in town or couldn't get hired somewhere else.

People complain, but if you hear stories from the ones going other places, we do not work at the worst department.

You have a new view, I would be interested is seeing what your old view was and why did you change it? Nothing you mention here sounds like a part of any solution. Sure getting involved in the union is a step but moaning and groaning is a way of venting frustration. Besides, if you don't let your feelings be known, the wrong people think you are content and there is no problem so things will go on as usual.

You also quote the old cliche "quit and go somewhere else". That is such a cop out to say, and it sounds like you are content with things as usual. I spent 30 years at OPD before retiring and there are alot of things that need to be changed, your current administration is at the top of the list. So instead of talking down to someone who is venting, why don't you encourage more responses.

Tiredofcomplaining`
11-23-2009, 03:21 AM
I am not content with what is occuring at OPD. We do need a new administration. We actually need a new mayor, and we are working on a new council. I've been told the mayor does care about us and wants us happy. The person also said that the mayor does not understand what is going on, so he does not want to get involved. It has been known since his first election that he was going to let the chief run the department and his only concern was the EDC. Well the EDC is not his only responsibility, and he needs to take care of his responsibilities.

I understand people need to vent their frustrations, and this is the place to do it or at the lodge. Not every waking minute of their shift, it gets annoying to hear the same thing over and over again multiple times a day.

As far as the cop out. I am not content with the way things are going. I have given ideas to people at the union and other squad mates, but they are shot down within the first minute saying, "No, that will never work".

Until we get people that are willing to work as a team in the union, not just the cliques that are forming, old vs new, nothing is going to change. People are afraid to say anything because you will get black balled and it has happened.

11-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Thankyou retired! You are so right.

The mayor doesn't care, there have been two arbitrations plus three coming up. It's not just the chief that gets served, that means that the mayor knows what's about to happen and doesn't do his homework before being schooled. But it's the little things that show us the administration doesn't care like have the deputy chief show up to an awards ceremony where two of his officers are being commended by an outside agency, and leaving without taking the time to make them feel good about what they did. The DC showed up ate and left, no surprise there. OFR put this on to recognize officers for a job well done, something our department doesn't do at all. The least he (DC) could have done was take the time to get a photo with the officers. Atleast the Sheriff took the time for that with his people. Thank you Sheriff.

There's no boubt that this place sucks, and yes it's better than other departments, but it can be better. Hell this place could be premier if the right person took control.

By the way congratulations for making it long enough to retire!

12-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Well you are certainly right about the Mayor, he is just a figure head. He has the ability to immerse himself into the internal workings at OPD and also the ability to affect changes but he does not, Why? like you said, he does not care, this is the only logical conclusion I can come to. As for the DC, I think we all know what motivates him, the well being and care of his personnel is not on his list for sure.

01-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Hell we all complain, like it was stated that's a way of venting. I am a member of the union, and I have tryed to help get things changes. The ears above the voices don't care, unless they can mold it into their idea. Simple things like being recognized for jobs well done "attaboys" go a long way for the piss poor morale at this department. Sam Williams and Rodney Smith don't care about it, so it's not going to change. DC Smith says it's not his job. It is his job to see that front line supervisors do theirs, and that means in a small way it is his job, and the front line supervisors should be doing that, and don't. In that way they are just as guilty.
As far as the union goes many people don't come to meetings or participate unless they get in trouble then they all want to be there. That's okay, but it doesn't hurt to come to the meeetings and show your pride and support. We all know that the upper admin hates the union, you want to fight get involved and be there. The stronger our union the harder it's going to be for people like the city manager to turn down our raise requests at negotiations.

Tiredofcomplaining`
01-11-2010, 06:49 PM
We are about to turn into the Sheriff's Office, heck we are already on the way there. When I started there was a minimum of one PFC or slick sleeve per squad, now we are having trouble getting Corporals to sign up for squads. We are turning into a very young department with 0 experience. These rookies that are coming in, some are good, most aren't.