PDA

View Full Version : On the fence please help

10-01-2009, 05:50 AM
I'm considering leaving my department, down here in the Fort Lauderdale area. I have over four years of LE experience in various units, and to be honest, I'm sick and tried of the "South Florida" snobby attitudes and "its all about me" mind set of the residents here. I spent my whole career so far in the worst parts of the county, and enjoy working in a big city. Do guys think its worth it to move and apply or is the city/county of Jacksonville pretty much the same city with just a different name/location. I'm willing to take a pay cut, any advice would be useful

01-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Go ahead, there are no snobs or rude people north of Broward County - all problems will be solved

07-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Go ahead, there are no snobs or rude people north of Broward County - all problems will be solved
au contrere......................................I live N/O Broward co and a lot of people say I'm an as$hole. :mrgreen: :snicker: :devil:

11-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm considering leaving my department, down here in the Fort Lauderdale area. I have over four years of LE experience in various units, and to be honest, I'm sick and tried of the "South Florida" snobby attitudes and "its all about me" mind set of the residents here. I spent my whole career so far in the worst parts of the county, and enjoy working in a big city. Do guys think its worth it to move and apply or is the city/county of Jacksonville pretty much the same city with just a different name/location. I'm willing to take a pay cut, any advice would be useful

Having grown up in Broward county, I moved to Duval County for a LEO position. I also thought that I could get a fair shake at life away from the "Snobs" and money of Broward County. Boy, was it a culture shock! If you don't live for either the Gators of the Seminoles, you are considered a traitor. In the first week I was immediately branded " a damn yankee" even though I have lived my entire life in Florida. Don't even get me started about "the war" and how yankees are evil and want to take everything away that is good and pure for the locals. Add to it, the locals resistance to change, it is impossible to convince the locals that change is necessary to survive or the "yankees" will eat you alive. The public schools in Duval absolutely suck! The teachers try really hard, but the administration is awful.

To be fair, the good points are the following: Sunday is church day and it is respected as such. The Navy people are really a nice bunch of hard working people who I respect and admire for their service, I made alot of good friends with the Navy people. JSO (Jacksonville Sheriff's Office) are a good bunch as well, they have their hands full and work really hard. The University of North Florida and Jacksonville University are good schools that not too many people know about.

After 5 years of beating my head against the wall, I moved to Tampa. Tampa has its problems as well, but they aren't fighting "the war" here and people from other parts of the country do respect each others opinions and ideas. It isn't paradise, but I didn't go back in time 50 years like I did when I moved to Jacksonville.

Stay in St. Johns County and go to Jacksonville when you have to for shopping and Jaguars games and you will be fine.