PDA

View Full Version : Miramar officers to get training on improving communication

09-29-2009, 06:14 AM
Miramar police officers will be receiving training on how to better communicate with the community.

The weeklong training session in November is the result of a $15,000 contract between the police department and South Carolina-based PepWorks International. The contract, recently approved by the City Commission, uses money from the state Law Enforcement Trust Fund, which is funded by money confiscated from criminals.

"There's always room for improvement," said Detective Yessenia Diaz, a police spokeswoman. "We want to improve what we've already established."

PepWorks' founder, Greg Blake, left the corporate world behind to start his motivational speaking business. He travels around the country working with different companies, hospitals and law enforcement agencies.

Blake said that under the current economy, members of any organization need positive reinforcement.

"A lot of people are scared, thinking 'Hey, I'm next,'" Blake said.

Downsizing and cost cutting are always concerns, but Blake said police departments have their own issues to contend with, such as the stress created by long hours. But they're also similar in that people will leave a job if they don't feel they're being treated well or if their ideas aren't important.

In working with police departments, Blake said he customizes his approach for each client. Meeting with an administration, Blake determines what the office culture is like and what they want to change. One area that Blake emphasizes for change is hiring practices. Blake said an applicant with aptitude and a good attitude is preferable to an experienced person with a bad attitude.

"As morale dips, cynicism surges," he said. "It leads to apathy and mediocrity."

As a motivational speaker, Blake said his goal is to keep his audience engaged. Billing himself as an "edutainer" and "chief encouragement officer," Blake tailors his presentations to younger workers and moves from subject to subject to keep things flowing.

By working with Blake, the department will be able to improve its methods of communication and establish better partnerships with the community, Diaz said. Enhanced communication would eventually lead to increased success for the department's crime prevention programs, she said.

"A passionate approach to law enforcement is something we need to be conscientious of and constantly practice," Diaz said.

09-29-2009, 09:36 AM
I wonder if this guy is going to have a nervous breakdown while in front of the class like the last lady that tried to teach us how to incorporate customer service into our police work. Those who were in the class, and I'm not going to name anyone, made this lady just start crying while she was standing up in front of the class trying to teach us customer service. Its a very hard job tryng to teach cops anything.

09-30-2009, 03:36 AM
what JIM HOLLIS is not available? does it fall on his friday when everything is closed? [b]I think we couldve spent $15,000 on staffing ppl for the upcoming holiday season![/

This customer service guy or whatever its not practical for our job it may be for the people in the fishbowl and records but not patrol.

03-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Does this mean the dept will pay for better hearing aids for the major who walks around with no gun and would never hear if someone yelled to get down. The guy is way too old for this job and is in no condition to do the job. Retire already and save the city the wasted money for gods sake...

04-06-2010, 02:00 AM
The Old Major came to Miramar PD with somewhat of a pedigree. He rose through the ranks of two different agencies and somewhere along the lines ticked off the wrong person which bit him in the butt, twice. The Old Major is definitly not stupid and the word on him was that he was an excellent test taker. Early on at Miramar PD the Old Major was put into traffic and this is where he started his ascent, as do many others. Traffic is the pathway to stripes, bars and clusters. The Old Major rose quickly and is now presently very stagnant in his current position. Yes he is old, and yes he looks like hell but he knew which cards to play to get him where he is and now he doesnt want to leave. The Old Major goes by the philosophy of "do as I say not as I do". The Old Major was known to bend many a rule in his day but has no problem punishing people for doing the same thing he did. I hate to say this but the Old Major is here and hes not going anywhere anytime soon. The Old Major is seafoam blue through and through.

04-08-2010, 12:27 AM
He was the only one to claim to be a great test taker. The only test he took here (1) he was not the high scorer I know for sure :). He is not as smart as people think but knows how to BS better than anyone. Remember how he got here, so he cant be all that smart getting caught and sent packing twice.

The Old Major came to Miramar PD with somewhat of a pedigree. He rose through the ranks of two different agencies and somewhere along the lines ticked off the wrong person which bit him in the butt, twice. The Old Major is definitly not stupid and the word on him was that he was an excellent test taker. Early on at Miramar PD the Old Major was put into traffic and this is where he started his ascent, as do many others. Traffic is the pathway to stripes, bars and clusters. The Old Major rose quickly and is now presently very stagnant in his current position. Yes he is old, and yes he looks like hell but he knew which cards to play to get him where he is and now he doesnt want to leave. The Old Major goes by the philosophy of "do as I say not as I do". The Old Major was known to bend many a rule in his day but has no problem punishing people for doing the same thing he did. I hate to say this but the Old Major is here and hes not going anywhere anytime soon. The Old Major is seafoam blue through and through.

04-30-2010, 09:52 PM
He will keep an eye on you