PDA

View Full Version : Smoking policy

09-04-2009, 12:47 AM
I can not believe the new policy, there will be no smoking, period. If hired after June 1 you can not even smoke at home! As cash strapped as this agency is it would be hard to believe that they would nicotine test anyone but that is in the new policy also. Is this one of the policies that the FOP will challenge when the time comes? Big Brother has come to the SRSO.

09-04-2009, 12:37 PM
It's a good policy for a lot of reasons. There are very few smokers and us non smokers don't want to be subjected to the stink you smokers have all around you from your cigarette smoke.

09-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Go to the admin office and see how many employees are standing outside smoking during their "30 minute" breaks. Productivity should go UP!

09-04-2009, 02:28 PM
****Flash**** new policy...no one will be allowed to eat fast food because the ama says that it causes high cholesterol . mandatory testing will be implemented. anyone with a cholesterol level over 170 will be subject to diciplinary action.

Also no one will be allowed to eat processed sugar or trans fat containing sweets as the ama says they lead to diabetes.

give me a break people.

09-04-2009, 07:11 PM
If you think the FOP will do or say anything you are sadly mistaken. The FOP is a good-ol-boy club that should have never gotten involved in politics. You probably couldnt get Johns to return a phone call. Time to get out of the FOP and save your money.

09-04-2009, 10:25 PM
The tobacco policy has been on the table for about a "year" and immediately after its implementation now you have something to say. Why didn't you open your mouth before now?

09-04-2009, 10:54 PM
If its been on the table for about a year, what did the deputy's and sergeants get in return? Answer; nothing. Just as usual. Every time there is a change there are only consessions by the FOP to the Sheriff. When will everyone realize the FOP does nothing to protect anyone but the Sheriff and their own paycheck

09-05-2009, 03:20 AM
Did you contact FOP and say, "tell them no to the tobacco policy?" or did you not go to the meetings, failed to contact your FOP representative, sent no email to anyone, failed to contact your sergeant, lt. or captain and tell them how you felt, or anything? the sheriff has an open door policy so did you go in and tell him? I never heard that he was that big on it one way or the other and what little contact he got was favorable! I'm not a smoker so i never cared about it one way or the other therefore never said anything about it.

09-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Did you contact FOP and say, "tell them no to the tobacco policy?" or did you not go to the meetings, failed to contact your FOP representative, sent no email to anyone, failed to contact your sergeant, lt. or captain and tell them how you felt, or anything? the sheriff has an open door policy so did you go in and tell him? I never heard that he was that big on it one way or the other and what little contact he got was favorable! I'm not a smoker so i never cared about it one way or the other therefore never said anything about it.
I didnt say I was against the smoking policy, I said the FOP didnt bargain for anything. the FOP is worthless as a bargaining organization and a waste of money for any deputy to be a member of ( for the reason of a bargaining agent). If you use the Sheriff's open door policy, Collier (or someone else) will use it against you and the Sheriff will not take any action against them. Happened to me. But who cares any way, just water under the bridge.

09-12-2009, 07:08 PM
If its been on the table for about a year, what did the deputy's and sergeants get in return? Answer; nothing. Just as usual. Every time there is a change there are only consessions by the FOP to the Sheriff. When will everyone realize the FOP does nothing to protect anyone but the Sheriff and their own paycheck

\
Who the hell was on this Nazi Wellness Committe anyway. No one even heard about it until the policy was delivered. Who were the reps from patrol ? Did the poll thier equals ...obviously not

09-13-2009, 05:04 AM
An all call was put out several months ago for folks to be a part of this commitee. Seems most people simply hit the delete button.

09-14-2009, 03:20 AM
Which is what they ususally do UNTIL something goes down and then the squawking starts! They don't want to be bothered just want to gripe!

09-14-2009, 10:22 PM
The fact remains that the FOP just cowers down and get nothing in return.

09-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Everyone probably thought it was another ad for the "biggest loser" or blue jean friday or save the chipmunks or some other General Tammy program

09-21-2009, 03:23 AM
The fact remains that the FOP just cowers down and get nothing in return.

Here's something maybe you don't know....................the FOP only has a say so in policies that have an effect on the contract. There's nothing in the contract that deals with smoking.

09-22-2009, 01:02 AM
No, the FOP can chose three different polices to change. The problem is why fight the smoking policy? The agencies around us and all across the country are doing the same. Oh, I forgot, this is SR county and we are still in the 1950's.

10-14-2009, 09:23 PM
It's a good policy for a lot of reasons. There are very few smokers and us non smokers don't want to be subjected to the stink you smokers have all around you from your cigarette smoke.

lmao! your complaining about work not getting done but your posting during work hours like everyone else. just because you dont smoke doesnt mean you dont waste time

Gray Rider
10-22-2009, 10:34 PM
First, I do not smoke nor hang around anyone who is smoking.

Second, I as well as smokers, know the health hazards and the non productive time spent on smoke breaks on duty..

Now , to intrude and control private off duty activites which are not illegal nor immoral is an abuse of power and downright un-American. If you want to set physical fittness standards, fine. If they can smoke and still pass the standards - fine. If they are 50 pounds overweight but can still pass the standards - fine. If the insurance carrier wants to reduce benefits for smoker related illnesses - fine. But bringing 1984 to a reality is a disappointment.

A good case for a policy of not drinking alcoholic beverages off duty can also be made. What are the odds of that being next, and why?

10-27-2009, 07:18 AM
How about a mandatory breathalyzer after off duty boating accidents? Let's be fair.

11-04-2009, 05:35 AM
How about checking into what your talking about before you post something stupid.
The smoking policy has been looked into by FOP. It is a Management right to enact this policy. As a smoker, I don't like it. The simple fact is: I have a job and get a steady paycheck. Sheriff Hall's name is on it and he is enacting this policy.

The wellness committee should look into lose of productivity from obesity or alcoholism. Statistics show there is a big problem with obsity than smokers.