PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Rifles

08-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Is it true you guys and the Department of Insurance are getting new weapon?

08-25-2009, 04:05 AM
Yup.

11-14-2009, 10:24 PM
DIF got Glock 23's and getting AR-15's next week

11-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Are you kidding. AR 15's for Desk Jockies. Who thought of that insane idea. Must be the analyst that runs your departments. What are you all thinking. when state employees can not get pay increases, maybe you can sell the ar 15's on ebay. wait till the legislature hears ab out this.

11-29-2009, 07:23 PM
At last, someone sees the need for these weapons. I work midnights and patrol the rough areas and can not get one of these guns. I do get pay raises though. Rather have the gun. What analyst can buy guns?

12-01-2009, 03:02 AM
Here is a thought...just a random one...if you have the money why don't you buy your own rifle? I don't make a big pile of money but I don't wait for my agency to buy things I need to make sure I get home at the end of the shift.

12-17-2009, 04:22 PM
my agency will not let us carry our own assult guns. some stupic accreditation thing, waht ever the hell accreditation is. sounds like a waste of time to me anyway. it only gets us in trouble with new policies, but no equipment. now there is a position or two or four we can get rid of.

12-18-2009, 12:43 AM
Let me correct several inaccuracies in this last post:
First - accreditation standards DO NOT specify what weapons an officer may or may not carry. The agency determines what weapons an officer may or may not carry. The standards only require that the agency have written policy on all approved weapons and provide training before a weapon can be carried. There are hundreds of accredited agencies that allow their officers to carry AR-15s, MP-5s, Mini-14s, etc.
Second - there are accreditation standards that require the agency to spell out what ammuninition is approved for use with any firearm and provide training either yearly or every other year on all weapons approved for use.
Third - accreditation (either state or national) has done more to reduce liability lawsuits than any other process. Both state and national accreditation mandate up-to-date use of force policies, training practices and documentation of all activities in addition to hundreds of other best law enforcement practices.

As an afterthought - I don't work for this agency - I just hate to see inaccuracies posted on any site concerning accreditation.

12-20-2009, 02:47 PM
I guess it takes a "desk jockey" to understand how budgets work. the diff. between non-reoccurring funds, etc. you just cant take any money the agency has and put it towards pay. be nice sometimes, but if that money is not going to be part of the budget next year the person in that position is going to be awful mad when that money is not paid.
all DIF Detectives (this isnt their forum btw) and Detectives with the SFM, are state certified leo's, (most with experience from all sorts of agencies) all work in and around areas that are less than hospitable towards law enforcement, and unless you are actually under a desk, you should have known that things are not exactly slowing down as far a violence goes. The issuing of rifles is just allowing the availability of another tool if needed.

one of the many rules of a gunfight is to bring friends, friends with long guns if possible. i like to think those of us in DFS, (DIF & SFM) are friends to our local agencies. isnt it nice to know that there are even just a few more friends with long guns out there.

12-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Right on........ more long guns so we state can protect the locals when they need us. wouldn't it be nice if we wereall on the same radio system so we know when they need help. is there something in accreditation for that?

12-21-2009, 03:13 AM
thanks for the affirmation, but understand that my intent on chimming in on this was not to ruffle the feathers of the "locals". seems that is an ever present topic on some of the other forums.
i believe that having the tools to help if needed, is simply a good thing. when i was a "local" and called for help, i did not care who came...as long as they had a badge, and the willingness to jump in. there is plenty of work out there for all of us to begin a measuring contest.
as far as the radio system goes, well all you can do is live with it. state wide system is here to stay, and so is ma(y)-com(unicate). the rcc's have county wide monitoring, and all agencies within an area can broadcast on the cw to notify of a major problem. and there are inter-agency channels that can be patched if needed.

12-31-2009, 03:44 PM
I have 25 years experience in South Florida law enforcment. How many police departments does DFS have, and are they hiring? I hear you work from home on 4/10's. Are you acredited?

01-03-2010, 05:25 AM
DFS has two PD's. One is DIF, or Division of Insurance Fraud. The other is SFM, the Division of State Fire Marshal (BFAI). There have been numerous rumors of combining them, but for now we remain independent of each other.

DIF investigates fraud in general, while SFM investigates fires, explosions, and anything resulting from them (deaths, frauds, hate crimes, etc.). Both of us have CFA accreditation.

We both have laptop computers with air cards and can work from home at times...and all depending on your squad, case load, etc. DIF has at least some 4/10 people, while SFM is on a 5/8 schedule. We at SFM also work "on-call" so we can maintain a 24/7 response. Personally, I don't mind on-call, but some of us hate it.

For open positions (in any State of Florida job), log on to peoplefirst.myflorida.com; to my knowledge, SFM is not hiring now, but DIF might be.

Good luck in your search.

01-05-2010, 01:57 PM
never mind. been reading the papers about your bosses and figure one or others will end up on the other side of the pokey. too much politics for me. good luck to you in the new year, hope your agencies make it through the budget cuts, guns and all. ;-)

01-20-2010, 01:33 PM
[quote="SoCrates"]Let me correct several inaccuracies in this last post:
First - accreditation standards DO NOT specify what weapons an officer may or may not carry. The agency determines what weapons an officer may or may not carry. The standards only require that the agency have written policy on all approved weapons and provide training before a weapon can be carried. There are hundreds of accredited agencies that allow their officers to carry AR-15s, MP-5s, Mini-14s, etc.
Second - there are accreditation standards that require the agency to spell out what ammuninition is approved for use with any firearm and provide training either yearly or every other year on all weapons approved for use.
Third - accreditation (either state or national) has done more to reduce liability lawsuits than any other process. Both state and national accreditation mandate up-to-date use of force policies, training practices and documentation of all activities in addition to hundreds of other best law enforcement practices.

As an afterthought - I don't work for this agency - I just hate to see inaccuracies posted on any site concerning accreditation YOU SOUND LIKE A GEEK, NOT A COP. WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?]

01-26-2010, 09:26 PM
You guys need automatic rifles about as much as FDLE and DOT does.

01-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Are you the same people who can nt buy paperclips, but can have automatic rifles, give me a break. Does the State know you have these rifles? Maybe you can staple someone to death. Is that covered in accreditation.

01-27-2010, 11:13 PM
At least DOT does real police work, unlike you folks or fdle.

01-28-2010, 02:14 AM

Clearly you arent a real cop. FDOT is worthless, they dont work nights and have to make 4 contacts a day. They dont do DUI's.......they are notorious for screaming for HELP when they run up on real criminals.

At least Fire Marshals and DOI guys knwo how to put a case file together, you clown

01-28-2010, 01:52 PM
who is DOI? Are they cops too? I know of a DIF but DOI, come on. Get rid of these clowns and their paperclips too.

01-29-2010, 07:16 PM
I could not be more embarrassed to work for the department. are you kiddig, we are a laughing stock. read the blogs. alex and her papeclips has ruined the great reputation we built over the past 3 years. my god someone stop that woman :? :oops:
who is DOI? Are they cops too? I know of a DIF but DOI, come on. Get rid of these clowns and their paperclips too.

01-30-2010, 01:37 AM

I guess that depends on your definition of "real" police work. According to your skewed statement, it appears you don't consider arson a crime. Let me break it down a bit further. Your statement would indicate that our investigations, which include arson, insurance fraud, mortgage fraud, explosions, and murder are not part of what you call "REAL" police work.

Arson is the most expensive crime in the US - no other crime has a greater financial impact against us. Insurance and mortgage fraud is costing ALL of us more and more every year. Explosions...Need I say more? Murder...Need I say more?

The next time you start thinking we're not "real" cops, think about how the SFM has the highest closure success rate in the nation. Think about the way we help provide closure to victims of arson and their survivors.

01-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Arson is the most expensive crime in the US - no other crime has a greater financial impact against us. Insurance and mortgage fraud is costing ALL of us more and more every year.
I have to disagree. With the overall, long-term financial impact on the medical, insurance, criminal justice systems (just to name a few) I believe DUI crashes involving property damage, injury, or death are the most expensive. More of them nationwide, and again the effects (cost to ALL persons in ALL systems) are more expensive long term (decades). Just my two cents.

02-06-2010, 05:50 AM
While you make a valid argument, the compiled stats don't lie. Arson costs us in the billions annually. All of the same issues with DUI's are involved in arson cases as well, but the biggest difference being that fire destroys vast amounts of property in minutes.

In addition to homes, businesses and cars, there is also the issue of wildland fires caused by arson. Flying embers can spark fires miles away from the area of origin. Thousands of miles of protected wildlands are destroyed every year; that is a cost which cannot be recovered.

Of course, loss of life in fires is another irrecoverable cost, but DUI's claim too many lives as well. However, the manpower needed to handle a DUI, even when fatal, pales in comparison to the expense of fire response, investigation, recovery, and prosecution.

Trust me, its not a matter of pitting one against the other in matters of importance; its just that its like comparing an AK-47 to napalm. Both suck, but one is worse.

02-06-2010, 01:31 PM
What does this have to do with automatic weapons? NOTHING !!!!!!!! However I do agree that all law enforcement is valid and necessary. State agencies have always considered themselves better than other State agencies because of core mission. Take my agency ABT. I am embarrassed to even visit the site. It is all back biting each other. We really do not do anything worth while, can not keep a Director worth a crap. The industry runs us. Most of us are a lazy bunch of no goods. I am actively looking for a job, maybe at DIF. I see they do not have a site. I only hear wonderful things about SFM and DIF. Good leadership and direction, good equipment, and a CFO who loves cops. God Bless..

02-07-2010, 03:49 AM
What does this have to do with automatic weapons? NOTHING !!!!!!!! However I do agree that all law enforcement is valid and necessary. State agencies have always considered themselves better than other State agencies because of core mission. Take my agency ABT. I am embarrassed to even visit the site. It is all back biting each other. We really do not do anything worth while, can not keep a Director worth a crap. The industry runs us. Most of us are a lazy bunch of no goods. I am actively looking for a job, maybe at DIF. I see they do not have a site. I only hear wonderful things about SFM and DIF. Good leadership and direction, good equipment, and a CFO who loves cops. God Bless..

I've been gone from ABT for about a year now, so I know your pain. Get out and don't look back!

02-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Another waste of money. RIFLES. ... okay lets spend money on desk jockeys.. and get them RIFLES. The state has limited our powers , but yet they waste money on RIFLES. Oh yeah another great idea... lets send experienced investigators to a BS academy in Tallahassee 2 years after they are hired. Is someone at the top have any idea what real investiagtors do. ? Come on Director Askins, please get this place straightend out and stop listening to those in Tall that are just trying to keep their jobs. Listen to those with experience and want to move out of the "box".

PLEASE !

02-16-2010, 01:17 AM
Are you kidding me, Askins doing something. Get real. Nothing but a puppet master.. Make no waves or do anywork. If he culd he would have been the director before. he is usless. I can not believe i had to attend an accademy so long after being hired. I could teach the classes as we all could. maybe askins should take a class on how to make a decision wiithout getting the dcfo's input. oh, forgot,that is not allowed. we must analyze and draw charts and graphs first, then recheck and justify our graphs. unless you are shoving high power rifels down our throats. how bout thost sgt. stripes on sfm shirts. wow, not violation there. I hate this place, not by partners, just the place, the bosses, and that stupid academy. at least we only had two weeks insead of 10, and no onge got fired while there. someone with guts needs to run this place, someone who is not afraid to make noice and a differnence. btw, do you have your 12 arrests t his year.......................

02-18-2010, 02:51 AM
Shut up Friedman and stop crying just retire already no one likes you here.

03-19-2010, 11:37 PM
so, are you better off now than you were 3.5 years ago. I think not. the cfo does not care about us, only votes from old people. She really does not like cops that much, or people who disagree with her. ask those at BOA. how much do we spend on travel these past 3 months. the dcfo needs his head handed to him then shipped back off where he came from.

03-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Heck no we are no better off. both our divisions are in great peril. get rid of the dcof and askins and corbitt. they are out for our jobs. god hlp those who can not shoot the new long guns. we are screwed. the pba cant save us. lets hold till the new cfo get here and watch themn all get kicked to the curb. get rid of accritation and quotoss.

03-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Yes we are better off. The DCOF is very smart. I do not know Askins, but by all acounts he is doing a good job. If you are going to badmoth my Chief, at least spell his name right. I do agree we do not need accreditation. Neither of us do.

03-31-2010, 09:15 AM
Someone called and told me about this post. IfI have something to say I dont hide behind silly posts, anon names or other childish games most play. I will say it to your face and in person. So If you have something you want to tell me or think I said. Come see me in person you spinless piece of garbage !

I always have and will always say things in person not like you !

Ron Friedman
410 NW 2nd ave Suite 321
305-536-0404

04-02-2010, 01:48 PM
You go ron. I never thought this was you. I think it is these posts are from HQ myself. Trying to incite bad blood. Someone who does not like Corbett or London much Hold your head high and know that we know you work very hard. Just look at your numbers.

04-18-2010, 12:57 PM
are you kidding me, somone likes corbett and london, who besides themselves. please, give me a break. everytime i hear them on the phone i want to throw up. only a few more months and they will be history. thank god for elections. london needs to go back to the eu or whereever he comes from. analyst. what a joke. has not arrested anyone in 30 years, and that was on the back of his partner. when he was not off creating the world and internet with al gore.

04-20-2010, 12:42 AM
Brian London is nothing more than an analyst with his head so far up his ass... this guy talk a big talk, he makes it seem like he has done it all... He says he worked with like 5 U.S. government agencies and Interpol (watch out now) and so on... but in reality he is nothing more than an analyst, he has never been a cop, he has never worked the roads or midnights for that matter, nor does he know shit about being a cop or how a police departments operates... not that we are REAL PD but hopefully some of you get my point..... reply and tell me if I'm wrong...

04-20-2010, 07:10 PM
......... guys, this kind on posting can only hurt the CFO. Both of our divisions are great! The DCFO will be fired soon enough, he is trying to what he thinks is best. He is a federal agent at heart and just doesnot undestand the State's way. He does have a retaliatory mean streak, so be careful what you write. Lets get behind our CFO who does love us, and forget about DCFO London.

04-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Are you kidding. AR 15's for Desk Jockies. Who thought of that insane idea. Must be the analyst that runs your departments. What are you all thinking. when state employees can not get pay increases, maybe you can sell the ar 15's on ebay. wait till the legislature hears ab out this.

And now Alex is taking heat over buying these weapons for insurance fraud investigators. Dumb move for sure. Wasn't it $300K? Real good common sense here.

04-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Someone must really fear that our CFO will be the next Governor. Sounds like poor sportsmanship to me. Let’s set something clear here. Our arson investigators are in the field working live crime scenes where an arsonist has a lot to lose. Our fraud investigators are targeting foreign organized crime rings infiltrating our State and stealing its citizen’s money to fund narco terrorism. Would this criminal element like to see our people dead, you bet they would. Anyone who calls us Desk Jockeys must be thinking of our Division members from the past. Over these past years, we have grown, received the highest standards of training, committed ourselves to professionalism by seeking and receiving flawless accredited status, and acquired the necessary tools and equipment to do our jobs and keep us safe. And yes, that includes the weapons. We are not a joke; we are two professional law enforcement agencies who respond not only to our own mission, but also to all statewide emergencies across the State. Let’s not forget we also travel into neighboring States to help restore order after an event. I rather have an assault rifle in my hand instead of a pencil when confronted with a threat. Our CFO did the right thing. She will continue to do the right thing for law enforcement after being elected. I sure don’t see that McCollum’s Medicare unit is accredited. He does not care about arming his troops, nor does he care about professionalism. CFO Sink will make sure that all law enforcement is given the respect they deserve, and the equipment they need. I say GO ALEX, and for those of you who want to complain, I hear that Burger King is hiring.

04-26-2010, 02:56 AM
What a moron. It is the Medicaid Fraud Control Unit, not Medicare. Big didfference. We really do not need accreditation nor automatic weapons to do our job. Which by the way we do very well.

04-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Of course you do not need accreditation, that would make you all accountable to something. We can’t have any of that. Evidence, oh you mean the stuff in our trunks and home spare rooms. You are a bunch of do nothings but work on State time to get your boss elected. I would not vote for him for dog catcher. The State would not give you rifles, fear of you shooting yourselves due to your ineptness. You are such a bunch of wonderful people to work for, why can you not keep a director, or personnel for that much. Idiots…………… shutting you down could save the state lots of money.

04-27-2010, 04:16 AM
4Look did not mean to offend. We are all law enforcement and have our specialized tasks. We should stay professional and keep the politics out of it. Just not big on acceditation for a small agency. We have a very good evidence policy and a good conviction rate for complex white collar crime (healthcare fraud and patient abuse, neglect and financial exploitation). Will post if you care.

Like I said we are all on the same side here. Not in it for the politics and am posting this on off duty hours. MFCU

04-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Point taken............ keep up the good work!

05-08-2010, 11:25 PM
you have got to be kidding me. why don't we just hold hands, sit in a circle and sing......... Hold on to your butts my friends, the CFO is going down and fast. She will loose to Rick Scott who at least admits he is a poor politician. Even if she wins, she is not taking the likes of her "loyal" staff with her. We are all on our own with the new CFO. And I feel that many above me won't be around. Goodby London, good by Corbett, good by Tammy, we will see you no more. :devil: :devil: :oops:

05-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Why are we self destructing people?????????????? This is not a time to make ourselves look foolish and childish. They are looking to cut jobs. When Crist vetoes’ the whole budget, all our jobs are up for grabs. Yeah, sure, London is gone either way, same as all SMS folks. But Corbett will stay. Just do your jobs and all will work out. Tammy has already proven she is more powerful than the DCFO’s or COS’s so I would cool it on her. I say let Merritt take over. He is the one steady sharp tool we have in our arsenal. No offense to the rifles. :cop:

05-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Get a life, better yet, if you do not like it here, go to DIF, We all see how well they are running (NOT) Notice the only people not complaining are Tanner's. He is a true leader. His people love him and they all work, no slouchers there. He cares about diversity also, unlike here in the all white leadership division. DIF has tried in that area at least. Frost is a strong leader and knows his stuff. Maybe I'll go to DIF or WC and get away from you complainers. November can not get here soon enough.

05-10-2010, 09:34 PM
hey, i just heard that lt. col. kelley is coming here. is that true? he would rock! :D

05-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Is ABT better than DIF or SFM? I heard with ABT they do alot of undercover work for various crimes but I heard at times they also have to do a moderate level of arrests for underage kids for drinking alcohol.

05-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Is ABT better than DIF or SFM? I heard with ABT they do alot of undercover work for various crimes but I heard at times they also have to do a moderate level of arrests for underage kids for drinking alcohol.

There is a little undercover work but there is a lot of plainclothes work. Big difference in ABT. They are a numbers driven agency. They are the assmbly line of law enforcement. So much so that they have 30 LT's to count the widgets produced by 100 agents. Ponzi would be proud. SFM has it made. DIF is almost as good. At least with SFM you have a marketable skill when you get out. With ABT - not so much.

softsteel
05-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Get a life, better yet, if you do not like it here, go to DIF, We all see how well they are running (NOT) Notice the only people not complaining are Tanner's. He is a true leader. His people love him and they all work, no slouchers there. He cares about diversity also, unlike here in the all white leadership division. DIF has tried in that area at least. Frost is a strong leader and knows his stuff. Maybe I'll go to DIF or WC and get away from you complainers. November can not get here soon enough.

Maybe he has nothing to do with this life.............

05-16-2010, 05:58 PM

Take it from me, as I used to work for that place: You do not want to go there if you have other options.

My radio ID# dropped by 50 in a matter of three years; that just stands as an indication of the attrition rate. Yes, there may be some undercover work, but that will depend completely on various factors, such as the office, the supervision, the other agents, the director, the chief, and of course, the level of competency of the ones I just mentioned.

ABT is unique in that you will be required to arrest a bunch of kids for holding beers, obviously a horrendous violation of state law :lol:. You will also be required to perform regulatory inspections and write administrative cases. You will probably also be told to forget about prostitution, narcotics, money laundering, gambling, tax evasion, etc., because you have more kids to arrest.

Don't get me wrong, I had fun working there, and I did learn. I worked with a good group, and MOST of the supervision in my office was worth it. The problem you'll find is that there are two types of supervisors in ABT. One type falls into the group of experienced, and/or retired COPS, and the other type is a group of spineless, pencil-pushing "agents" who have never arrested anyone for a felony, and made a career out of writing nothing but administrative cases. The first group is great, but the second group is lost when it comes to police work. Most unfortunately, the second group outweighs the first one by (about) four-to-one.

There was a "Lieutenant" in my office who was unaware of what a grow-house is :shock:. Combine that with the internal dispute (in Tallahassee) as to whether or not the Special Agents are police first, regulators second, or vice-versa, and the supervisor-to-agent ratio (about 1:2.5), and you have one hell of a mess.

Make your decision wisely, but don't say you weren't warned.

05-30-2010, 08:10 PM
are you kidding me, somone likes corbett and london, who besides themselves. please, give me a break. everytime i hear them on the phone i want to throw up. only a few more months and they will be history. thank god for elections. london needs to go back to the eu or whereever he comes from. analyst. what a joke. has not arrested anyone in 30 years, and that was on the back of his partner. when he was not off creating the world and internet with al gore.
So, how are those guns working out for you? Newpaper says you are so out of control that they need a special law just to keep you from buying them. They just do not get it. :evil: I say, go ahead, keep wasting the state of florida money. At least your detectives will be safe. Just do not let them clean them in the office. :oops:

07-18-2010, 01:46 PM
why is that, oh jeah, we did have that accidential shooting by our guy, but so did dif. and then what did we do, we got everyone guns wiht no safety feature. wa to go guys. can u imiagine the outcry of we shot someone with our new assult rifels by mistake.

07-19-2010, 12:55 AM
That would depend on who we hit. :devil:

07-25-2010, 12:44 AM
Hey Depends, is that your name, or what you wear to bed at night. Get off our site, you too DIF. You are nothing but bad news. Do you get extra pay for being personal drivers for the DCFO. He must still think he is in France. Try investigating a fire someday. Oh, never mind, you might miss lunch or get dirty.

08-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Hey, did we ever get our missising assult rifles back? I heard they were being hid from the CFO and inquiring minds.

08-11-2010, 01:56 AM
Well you heard wrong. get over yourself.

08-11-2010, 01:22 PM
sounds like I hit a nerve Johnnyboy. It is wednesday, do you know where your guns are?

08-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, its off to the unemployment line we go...............

08-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Please stop this stuff. You are only hurting us and dif. I need my job, how about you? We need to be above all this hatred. Just do our jobs and most of us will be fine. Layoffs will affect only the new employees.

09-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Hey, I LOVE my new assult weapon. It is great to hang my wet towel on after the shower. I wonder when I am going to acutally get training for it. Isn't it an accreditation thing about training on our guns, even if we don't like them, and keep them hidden out of sight at other agencies. alex, you have some splainng to do. it wont fit on my bike anyway.

09-13-2010, 11:11 PM
You shower???

09-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Now that we got rid on London, can we get rid of these stupid weapons and give them to state officers who really need and want them. Things sure have calmed down since the blow hard left. I can feel the less tension already. I say good riddens. Clift is next, and he will not be driving a state car when he leaves. Why is he screwing with our cars, it is simple, he hates cops. Always has, and always will. He looks like he is just one breakfast danish from the big one. Someone check the AED in his building.

10-04-2010, 05:09 PM
yeah, take out the batteries.