PDA

View Full Version : Sherff Scott is subject of preliminary state inquiry

08-21-2009, 11:30 AM
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has opened a preliminary investigation into Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott.

The state is trying to determine if Scott has committed a crime after several former employees lodged a complaint against the sheriff in May.

FDLE spokeswoman Heather Smith said the department's Office of Executive Investigations is looking into allegations against Scott, although she wouldn't say what those allegations are. Smith said Gov. Charlie Crist and FDLE Commissioner Gerald Bailey are aware of the investigation.

Preliminary investigations are conducted when someone makes a complaint about a public official, Smith said. Inspectors must determine whether the complaint has merit. If there is, it becomes a criminal inquiry directed by Crist, Smith said. If not, it is closed.

Scott said in an e-mail he has had other complaints filed against him that were dismissed without merit.

The office comprises a group of inspectors in Tallahassee who report to Bailey. They look into FDLE internal investigations as well as complaints against public officials, Smith said.

“The commissioner is regularly briefed on their investigations,” Smith said. “In this particular circumstance, if FDLE is to investigate anyone who is subject to suspension or removal, our investigation must be at the direction of the governor.”

Scott has been made aware of the investigation.

“Yes, I am aware of the complaint and inquiry,” he wrote in response to questions. “I discussed the accusations at length with FDLE about two (2) weeks ago.”

e-mails regarding public records requests.

Scott said he is confident he will be cleared.

“I am excited about the outcome I anticipate given the fact that I have done nothing wrong,” Scott wrote. “I welcome the inquiry into whether or not there should even be an investigation, and I am supremely confident that the findings will serve to formally clear me of any wrongdoing.”

Smith declined to comment on the specific allegations made by former employees or identify who made the complaint. Documents regarding the investigation are unavailable because the case is active. Smith said the former employees contacted FDLE’s Fort Myers office, but were referred to the Office of Executive Investigations in Tallahassee.

Smith’s response was to a News-Press inquiry Tuesday about whether the office of investigations was looking into Scott’s actions. In that inquiry, the newspaper mentioned a story last Sunday that detailed Scott’s connection with a felon.

The reporting showed Scott had logged almost 400 phone calls with **** Spence, manager of the Alva Village Market and former Cali Cartel money launderer, in a three-year period.

In late November and early December, several deputies began a covert investigation into Spence’s law enforcement connections, the story reported. The mission was compromised when Spence learned of a camera at the market.

Scott demoted, transferred or fired several deputies connected to the investigation. Of the employees shuffled, former Chief Deputy Charles Ferrante, former Capt. Dominick Ferrante and former Lt. Lee Bushong left in the spring. Bushong was brought back as a patrol sergeant in late May.

Smith's response was to a News-Press inquiry Tuesday about whether the office of investigations was looking into Scott's actions. In that inquiry, the newspaper mentioned a story last Sunday that detailed Scott's connection with a felon.

Contacct Thursday, neither Bushong nor the Ferrantes would comment.