PDA

View Full Version : Being reasonable about the Union

08-20-2009, 02:44 AM
It seems like there are mixed messages about the PBA and Cecil Pendergrass. The fact is that no one knows the facts because everyone here is writing about personal experiences rather than the big picture. I saw one post here about health insurance rates rising in their last contract. Sounds horrible right? Well the fact is this. The members voted to increase their insurance rates by voting for their last contract. Why would they do this? Because there were significant gains in that contract that offset the increase in insurance premiums. That is a fact. Go to the FMPD website, look to the contract and check out their compensation package.

Now don’t get me wrong. LCSO is a probably the best agency around and Mike Scott is a pretty good boss. Every agency and every person has their faults. That being said, does anyone think that premium free healthcare can be maintained? If you do, you are keeping your head in the sand and have blind faith. I don't know a cop in the world that has blind faith or keeps their head in the sand. Your insurance rates are going to rise within the next year to year and a half. With a contract your insurance premiums cannot be increased without your voting on it. The federal government mandates that. You can confirm that at www.nlrb.gov (http://www.nlrb.gov). Actually lots of things have to be negotiated per federal statute.

The way negotiations work is pretty simple. Our current state remains the same. We have it good. It acts as a base. From there, you negotiate up. You don't lose you gain. This is the case in every situation. Why wouldn't you want to have what you got now, plan for future raises, and put it in writing? Can you afford to retire on your salary?

As you can tell, I am a content employee that works for a professional and respected agency, is treated well, and wants a union. How is it ever bad to put something in writing?
I am not sure about Cecil. I am not sure about the PBA. But I am going to vote yes. If they don't work out, we can decertify the union and go with the FOP. Good luck.

08-20-2009, 03:01 AM
my thoughts exactly.....if you want a union then vote yes.....if not than vote no. Period.

08-21-2009, 11:26 AM
This goes along with the meeting.

See you all there. Hopefully some fraternity comes back to us.