PDA

View Full Version : Lee County sheriff clears up allegations

08-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott gave his side of the story against allegations he violated his agency's own policy when it comes to associating with criminals.

A story first reported Sunday by the News Press addressed Sheriff Mike Scott's personal ties to convicted felon **** Spence - a store manager in Alva.

Monday, both Scott and Spence say they want the truth to come out.

The Lee County Sheriff's Office has a written policy against associating with criminals. For years, Sheriff Scott was friends with Spence - a man convicted of money laundering, kidnapping and fraud back in the mid 1990s.

But now, both men say there's a lot more to the story.

Sheriff Scott says he and Spence became friends because of Spence's interest in helping out in local political campaigns. Spence runs a well-known store on State Road 80 and is often referred to as the mayor of Alva.

"It started out when our kids went to school together," Scott said. "He approached me and said, ‘I love politics. I've been involved in a lot of campaigns. I think I could help you.'"

Scott explained he first found out Spence was a convicted felon in August of 2008. He says as soon as he found out, he "disengaged with him."

"I sent his check back, his campaign donation back. I discontinued phone calls," Scott added.

Scott says the only minimal contact he's had with the man in the past year is when Spence called after Sunday's article ran to apologize.

"I never told him I was a convicted felon. He's getting the brunt of it and he doesn't deserve it. That's my fault. I was embarrassed to say I was a convicted felon. It's not something you're proud to go out around telling people," Spence said.

When we asked Scott if he thought he violated the sheriff's office policy he replied, "I know for a fact I didn't. How can you violate a policy if you don't know they're a convicted felon?"

Both Scott and Spence say they miss their friendship.

"It bothered me a lot. He's a great guy and his family's the greatest," Spence said.

And Spence says the policy needs to be reviewed to take into account how long ago someone committed a crime.

"I broke the law 20 years ago and I paid for it," he said.

Sheriff Scott says he won't lean on Spence for help on the next election. But he says he still believes the scrutiny on the relationship is misguided.

"It's a clear effort to be personal from the News Press," Sheriff Scott said.

The written policy for the Lee County Sheriff's Office allows deputies to associate with criminals if it's for official duties, such as collecting information from informants. Sheriff Scott said he has no intention of changing the policy.

It states, "Members should avoid regular dealings with convicted felons, people who engage in criminal activity or anyone who could discredit the sheriff's office."