PDA

View Full Version : Union Meeting

08-14-2009, 12:50 AM
It is time for a union meeting so that you can get the real answers. Have a couple of meetings so that you can be sure that all of your answers get answered.

Here are some facts.

Some guy from South put out an email that was expressing his opinion about the union. Though his numbers were likely truthful, and to some scary, it is not the whole picture. Ask yourself a couple of questions.

First, how much was he making? If he paid out about 6000 dollars a year for pensions, benefits, etc., what was his annual salary? What was his per anum retirement factor? It is likely that members of his agency with tenure were making somewhere around 70k (probably a little less, he's a young guy so he was likely not making that much). So subtract the 6k from the 70 k and that brings your net pay down to 64 K per year. However your pension is based on the full 70 k. Long term and short term you make out even though you pay for benefits.

MS said the union will cost about "guess who", to use his term 15 thousand per month. This is absolutely incorrect. Union dues are about 22.00 per month. If all of the represented by the proposal, about 300, that comes out to 6200 a month. However, this is a right to work state. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY UNION DUES TO ENJOY COLLECTIVE BARGAINING. So if 50 percent of those represented pay their fair share, that comes out to a little better than 3000 per month. Pretty cheap/

The guy from south does not know what he is talking about when he refers to Florida as a right to work state. Right to work has little to do with employers and has much to do about employees. What this means is that if a shop is unionized, an employee cannot be denied employment based on his or her choice not to pay union dues. That is it in a nut shell. He is ill informed or educated.

Florida is an at will employment state. That is what impacts an employer to let you go as he or she sees fits. A union takes the at will employment aspect away from employers. Case and point can be found in our region with the recent request by FMPD to lay off employees. Management had to ask the PBA if this is something that they would consider. They said no and it was a dead issue. Broward County wanted to save money by laying people off. Who did they look at? Non-unionized employees of the County. Look it up yourself. (By the way, the furloughs were asked of the unionized members who volunteered to take the time off and the Sheriff later found the money and cancelled the request)

They guy in south talked about pensions. He paid into a privately funded retirement system. We pay into a government funded retirement system. Although they are both governed by statute, they are completely different animals. Again, it is likely that there was a long term gain. Again he is ill informed or poorly educated on the topic.

Losing health insurance? Show me one instance where as a result of unionizing health insurance premiums increased. If you can, give the complete picture and show the net gain (increase in pay, vacation, vehicle incentives,) that was realized. Who the hell started the nonsense about health insurance anyhow? The fact is that health insurance has to be negotiated. Period. It is a federal law.

As long as we are on that topic, show me one instance where a union caused a loss in benefits. Don’t even bring up the UAW. They are a mess that got out of control.

Take home vehicles. Okay. Vehicles are an asset of the agency. They can take them away or limit use whenever they wish. As it stands right now, they are a condition of employment and as such cannot be changed until this union matter is worked out. However, they are the property of the citizens of this county and controlled by the county commissioners and the Sheriff. In the absence of a contract or PERC protection, vehicles can be taken away or have their use limited. With a contract, the use of the vehicles is spelled out. If it is an important point, the negotiators will not back down until an impasse is declared. It is that simple.

The fact is there is a lot of bad data being put out there about unions. I have demonstrated here that there are, in fact, pros and cons. This is true with almost anything. However, the job protection and benefit stability are of tremendous value that generally offset any losses.

Now, the next thing is to consider more than one union. It may complicate things initially but is the smartest tack to take.

A meeting can clear a lot of tings up. The union is obligated under PERC to answer honestly. Ask all of the questions. Demand the meeting. Demand to have reps from Tallahassee. The sheriff is saying that the union is trying to make money. Of course they are. Who the hell doesn’t know that? It’s a private business engaged in negotiation of contracts and protection of rights of employees. It takes money to do that. Not the kind of money that MS is stating, but money nonetheless. Go union and you will not be hogs to the slaughter.

Everyone who talks about unionizing and losing benefits, back it up.

08-14-2009, 02:09 AM
At least "that deputy" wasn't afraid to sign his name to what he believes. And I believe he mentions something about his letter was based on his exeperiene. I have to say, I am not eligible to vote but I really hope you get the union, because then MS can say, you reap what you sow!

08-14-2009, 02:40 AM
At least "that deputy" wasn't afraid to sign his name to what he believes. And I believe he mentions something about his letter was based on his exeperiene. I have to say, I am not eligible to vote but I really hope you get the union, because then MS can say, you reap what you sow!

Do you really believe that you could send an email through the LCSO email system, using your real name, and expressing your opinion of what the agency has been doing wrong? Do you think you could expect to not have any repercussions? Wake up !! Some ranking members in the agency would take it upon themselves to come after you! Did you forget where we work? Get real, this kid is trying to make a name for himself. He probably makes more than most 10 year deputies. Last time I checked, this was not Hawaii PD. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW, WHAT REALLY HAPPENED IN HAWAII, THAT HE HAD TO MOVE TO FLORIDA!

08-14-2009, 02:48 AM

And your name , sir? And while you are at it your point (since you have found it in your best ineterest not to use your name)? What difference does it matter if someone leaves thier name or not? What is it that you are implying by both your statements and your hypocritcal actions?

That's the whole point here. Anononymous conversations that incite honest and unabashed conversations. Millions of posts without names. Millions of great conversations. Happens all over the world every day on hundreds of thousands of sites. I don't know if you heard or not but the idea is actually catching on.

And is there anything that you can say about the post that is not accurate? Or is it just that you want to refer to an ill thought, inaccurate, uneducated letter?

08-14-2009, 03:02 AM

So I guess MS is reaping what he has sowed with the unionization? Goes both ways, right?

08-14-2009, 03:39 AM

So I guess MS is reaping what he has sowed with the unionization? Goes both ways, right?
Your right on !!!! Go union go. Can't wait. You'll get just what you deserve. Problem is your probably some 2-3 year deputy that has maybe another year to go before you quit and go somewhere else. Thank God Sergeant aren't included. I'll be honking about you when my kids doctors bill is $15. And your at the Health Department because you don't have benefits you can afford. Oh ya don't worry "BHO" will get you insurance.

08-14-2009, 03:55 AM

And your name , sir? And while you are at it your point (since you have found it in your best ineterest not to use your name)? What difference does it matter if someone leaves thier name or not? What is it that you are implying by both your statements and your hypocritcal actions?

That's the whole point here. Anononymous conversations that incite honest and unabashed conversations. Millions of posts without names. Millions of great conversations. Happens all over the world every day on hundreds of thousands of sites. I don't know if you heard or not but the idea is actually catching on

And is there anything that you can say about the post that is not accurate? Or is it just that you want to refer to an ill thought, inaccurate, uneducated letter?

I think the point is regardless of this deputy's view he was not afraid to put his name to it. He also has answered a lot of questions that a lot of deputies have asked. It sounds like you have a lot of info too, but obviously not about the Union or you would know if they let one side speak they have to let the other side have the same oppurtunity or they can and will be in violation of the law. So if your so pro union yell I from the rooftops. If not obviously your not as convienced the union is such a done deal.

08-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Unfortunately to the above posters,

Wishing ill on fellow Deputies is shameful, and very petty. But you get to be included in your little wish.....

If we lose our health insurance to this unfortunate union, you will as well. You are not grandfathered in, you are not guaranteed insurance. The LCSO will not have two classes of Health insurance, everyone will lose it. The most unfortunate part is, the short sightedness of this approach; when (if) you retire from this agency, you will have to pay for insurance yourself-no small task.

Oh, thinking being a Sergeant will exempt you from this nightmare? Cecil has reportedly received numerous blue cards from Sergeants from the LCSO. What does this mean to you, welcome to the union son.

Remember that little bit of trickery that just happened as well, the union doesn't need 50% of the employees to agree to the union, just 30%. I'm wrong you say?

If the Sheriff doesn't oppose the union, it doesn't come to a vote. We are already in a union, we just don't know it yet. I've heard Cecil has just under 30% of the votes he needs to include Sergeants, hope you get your bar soon son.

We have been lied to about the vote, we will be lied to about our insurance. welcome to our new masters.

08-14-2009, 06:12 PM
PBA IS JUNK, FOP IS WAY BETTER.

08-15-2009, 02:36 AM

Can someone get them here to present?

08-15-2009, 12:18 PM
go to the meeting.

08-16-2009, 06:24 PM
THE VIOCE OF A FEW HAS SEALED THE FATE OF THE REST.

THE PBA ARE F/N LIARS. IF I GET MY HEALTH BENIFITS TAKEN FROM ME THEN YOU WILL HEAR ME YELLING FROM THE ROOFTOPS.

SGTs VOTED US IN, HOWEVER THE PBA SAID SGTs ARE NOT INCLUDED.......SPEAKS FOR ITSELF.

WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP. MY OLNY CONCERN IS FOR MY BENIFITS AND RETIREMENT AND THE PBA WILL GET IN THE WAY, JUST LIKE THEY DO FOR THE FHP, DEPARTMENT of CORRECTIONS, FMPD AND EVERYONE ELSE THEY ARE A PART OF.

08-17-2009, 12:52 AM
THE VIOCE OF A FEW HAS SEALED THE FATE OF THE REST.

THE PBA ARE F/N LIARS. IF I GET MY HEALTH BENIFITS TAKEN FROM ME THEN YOU WILL HEAR ME YELLING FROM THE ROOFTOPS.

SGTs VOTED US IN, HOWEVER THE PBA SAID SGTs ARE NOT INCLUDED.......SPEAKS FOR ITSELF.

WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP. MY OLNY CONCERN IS FOR MY BENIFITS AND RETIREMENT AND THE PBA WILL GET IN THE WAY, JUST LIKE THEY DO FOR THE FHP, DEPARTMENT of CORRECTIONS, FMPD AND EVERYONE ELSE THEY ARE A PART OF.

Pssst......The Sgts. are unionizing too......don't tell anyone....I hear they are afraid of losing their benefits unless they unionize....by the way...the law says they have to seek their own representation or opt to be included in the contract as part of the bargaining unit.

By the way, MS has been planning on charging you for benefits. Just ask him.

08-17-2009, 01:03 AM
to the guy two posts above..Do you want a union? Also, why do you think benefits will go away? Is it based in fear or fact? Not disrespecting...just curious.

08-17-2009, 01:05 AM
you guys are going to get off to a bad start with this union issue if you keep putting your info on this garbage site. You are going to learn the hard way keep the union stuff of this site.

08-19-2009, 11:13 AM
pba pba pba

08-19-2009, 03:29 PM

sounds like the FOP does not want to get involved with SO problems. They mainly represent police dept and not SO's. thats too bad.