PDA

View Full Version : When will they ever learn?

08-11-2009, 04:17 AM
The majority of us have all expressed our opinions on certain decisions our higher ups and City Hall have made throughout the years, with absolutely no regard for what we thought was the right thing to do. The following is a list of only what I remember:

We should've purchased the land west of the pd so we could have more parking spaces, and anything else we needed it for. (It was cheap back then)

We could have paid for another 2 floors to our pd at a cheap price. (This was even cheaper)

We never should've gone to this idea of "going for the cheapest bidder" because our elevators would've been fixed shortly after they broke, our security gates (which can be easily scaled) wouldn't constantly break, and our gas pumps would ALL be up and running 24/7/365.

The trailer at the range would only be repaired by those specified in whatever contract we had with the company that made the installation.

We should never hire retirees that want a second pension.

You were all warned years ago on how certain Officers abused the overtime system, and did nothing but reward them with commendations (even if they're safety and other Officer's safety were at risk). You're only asking for future lawsuits with this one.

You promote those who have never done anything as a Cop on road patrol, and they still do nothing. In fact they do less as time goes on while in their rank, and they get worse as they get higher up.

And finally

You have one or two higher ups with questionable and non-productive pasts attempting to take your fading torch, and run the show deeper into that black abyss of certain doom.

Now if I've missed anything, please add.

08-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Wow! The saddest things is that all of that happened in the last two years since you've been here. Shut up already.

08-14-2009, 05:28 AM
HOW ABOUT THIS RIDICULOUS REPORT WRITING SYSTEM WE HAVE, THESE ASSIGNED AREAS, OR OUR NEW DISPATCH.

WHY DO WE STILL HAVE THIS ABSURD "PAPERLESS" REPORT SYSTEM? OVER THE YEARS, WE HAVE GRADUALLY ACCUMULATED MORE USE OF PAPER THAN WE EVER DID BEFORE FOR ONE CASE/CALL. EVERY SO MANY YEARS, A CERTAIN DEPARTMENT (CIVILIAN OR CAPTAIN) WITHIN OUR AGENCY REQUESTS OFFICERS TO FILL OUT ANOTHER FORM OR COMPLETE A NEWER ONE THAT IS EVEN MORE ARTICULATED, TAKING MORE TIME TO FILL OUT. EVERY OTHER YEAR WE RECEIVE AN E-MAIL THAT CERTAIN BOXES ARE NO LONGER REQUIRED TO BE COMPLETED OR THEY HAVE TO BE FILLED OUT A DIFFERENT WAY. OR, YOU RECEIVE AN E-MAIL SAYING IT WAS A "THEFT OF MOTOR VEHICLE PARTS" INSTEAD OF A BURGLARY WHEN A STEREO WAS STOLEN. OUR REPORT WRITING IN THIS AGENCY HAS GOTTEN VERY TIME CONSUMING, AND CAN BE VERY CONFUSING AT TIMES. A DICHOTOMY IN FACT BETWEEN WHAT THE FBI CLASSIFICATION IS AND WHAT THE STATE OF FLORIDA CLASSIFIES IT AS. WHY DIDN'T WE JUST CREATE A COMPUTERIZED FORM OF WHAT WE HAD BEFORE LIKE WE ASKED? THOSE HANDWRITTEN FORMS, TOOK LESS TIME, AND YOU PUT YOUR PROACTIVE OFFICERS BACK ON THE ROAD IN A QUARTER OF THE TIME IT TAKES NOW. THANKS TO THIS OBSCURE "PAPERLESS" SYSTEM, I THINK WE'VE NOT ONLY WASTED MASS AMOUNTS OF MONEY ON PAPER, BUT HAVE LOST SOME TRIALS BECAUSE WE STILL DIDN'T HAND THE ASA A CONVICTION ON A SILVER PLATTER. THE AMOUNT OF PAPER PRINTED OUT ON THIS "PAPERLESS" REPORT WRITING MAY COST (FOR ONE DAY) MORE THAN WHAT IT'S GONNA COST THE CITY EACH OFFICER PRINTING OUT OUR NEW CONTRACT PROPASALS.

THIS AREA SYSTEM HAS GONE ALMOST BERSERK AS WE WARNED YEARS AGO. FOR WHATEVER REASON, OUR DEPARTMENT'S LEATHER PLANTED DERRIERS HAVE DECIDED THIS WAS THE BEST WAY TO NOT ONLY DOLE OUT CALLS EQUALLY, BUT ALSO HANDLE THE CALLS FOR SERVICE IN THAT AREA "EFFECTIVELY". HOGWASH IS THE ONLY WORD THAT COMES TO MIND. WE TOLD YOU IT WOULDN'T WORK, IT DOESN'T WORK NOW, AND IT WILL NEVER WORK. JUST ASK THE SERGEANTS (ONE'S THAT AREN'T BUDDY BUDDY WITH THE SENIOR GUYS ON THEIR SHIFT), AND THE NEW OFFICERS. SENIORITY HAS SEEMED TO PLAY A LARGE ROLL IN WHO IS GIVEN A CALL (UNLESS THESE SENIOR GUYS/GALS ARE ALL OF A SUDDEN TIED UP ON 10-10'S, 40'S, CITY GARAGE, PERSONAL'S, 10-50'S, ETC). OUR SYSTEM NOW CREATES FUTURE SLUGS MORE SO THAN WHEN WE HAD ZONE ASSIGNEMENTS. OUR NEWER OFFICERS SEE HOW "SENIOR" OFFICERS SKATE AROUND CALLS THAT ARE DEFLECTED TO THEM. THEY IN TURN DO THE SAME TO THOSE OFFICERS JUNIOR TO THEM. WHAT'S ULTIMATELY CREATED IS, AN AGENCY OF 300 THAT CAN BE EFFECTIVELY HANDLED BY 150. THE CHERRY ON TOP OF THIS APHORISM IS THE FACT THAT MOST SERGEANTS ARE HARD TO RAISE OR UNDERSTAND ON THE RADIO BECAUSE THEY'RE AT HOME, SLEEPING, EATING AT A BOISTEROUS RESAURANT, OR DOING SOMETHING ELSE THEY AREN'T EXPECTED TO BE DOING. THIS CURRENT SYSTEM ONLY CREATES FUTURE SLUGS THAT WILL INCREASE IN NUMBER AS TIME GOES ON. SLUGGISM IS HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS, AND SPREADING AT A FAST PACE.

MY LAST COMMENT WASN'T MEANT TO PERSONALLY OFFEND OUR DISPATCHERS. IN FACT, I THINK OUR DISPATCHERS ARE EQUAL TO, IF NOT BETTER (MOST ARE ANYWAY) THAN WHAT WE HAD BEFORE. I WORK DETAILS AT NIGHT, AND THE ONLY ONE I SEE A PROBLEM WITH IS THE FEMALE THAT TENDS TO SPEAK IN A LOWER TONE AS THE NIGHT GOES ON (ALMOST LIKE SHE'S SLOWLY FALLING ASLEEP). DUE TO THE WAY SHE SPEAKS HER WORDS, I WOULD NORMALLY EXPRESS WHAT HER ETHNICITY SOUNDS LIKE, BUT I WON'T. I LIKE THE FACT THAT WHEN SOMEONE CALLS 911, WE GET THE CALL ALMOST IMMEDIATELY. I STILL HATE THE FACT THAT WE DON'T HAVE 911 OPERATORS MAKING SURE A WITNESS GETS A TAG, BETTER DESCRIPTIONS, OR NO LONGER REMAINS ON THE LINE WHEN WE'RE ON SCENE ASKING PERTINENT QUESTIONS. I'M ALMOST CERTAIN OUR DISPATCHERS HAVE COMPLAINTS. COMPLAINTS LIKE OFFICERS NOT ANSWERING THE RADIO AFTER NUMEROUS REQUESTS. THAT CONSTANT FEEDBACK FROM ANOTHER RADIO NEARBY, OR THAT OUR NEW RADIOS SUCK SINCE OFFICERS TEND TO ACCIDENTALLY HIT THE MIC OR THE 10-24 BUTTON MORE SO NOW THAN EVER BEFORE.

ALWAYS KEEP IN MIND THAT WHEN YOU EXPRESS YOUR OPINIONS AND FEELINGS TO YOUR ADMINISTRATION AND CITY REPRESENTATIVES, THEY ONLY RETAIN YOUR THOUGHTS FOR A MINUTE. AFTER THAT, IT DISAPPEARS INTO THE "YOU NEVER TOLD ME THAT" BANK. THANKS TO THAT OVERFILLED BANK, WE HAVE WASTED MILLIONS IN OUR UPPER ECHELON'S THOUGHT PROCESS ON HOW OFFICERS WILL COMPLETE REPORTS, HOW OUR CITY WILL BE "EVENLY" DIVVIED UP FOR PATROL, OR THE FACT THAT WE DON'T WANT OTHER CITIES TO SIMPLY "SWITCH" A KNOB OVER TO OUR CHANNEL WHEN THEY ASSIST US. THANKS GUYS FOR CONTINUOUSLY KEEPING US IN LINE WITH OUR PROGRESSIVE INEFFECTIVENESS.

08-15-2009, 02:04 AM
Wow that was good. Heres my take on the three issues.

In regards to the report writing system it was rushed when we got it so it sucks (thanks Chief Rohinsky). If we dont have to fill out a box then it should have been eliminated, but since again the system sucks they cant do that. As to UCR errors we have someone upstairs that reviews the UCR but if one of us makes a mistake on the ucr code she/he cant fix it but we receive an e-mail from her or mike barney to fix it and resent it. Again, with our great system they cant just change it, or can they? I can understand that it someone continously makes the same UCR mistakes they need to be told. Of course if the city had any money they would change the system, but thats not going to happen especially since its tied in with records.. I will never see it since it will cost big bucks.

Well lets talk about the areas. As I said before it started, slugs are slugs and no matter what system you have they will allways be that way. They just stay on code out calls longer, pick and choose the calls they want to stay 10-6, and when they do get a paper call they just code it out anyway the majority of the time so whats the difference, nothing changes. And, how about can I have the 88, why even go to the call. And as for the supervisors that were supposed to oversee the officers, the bottom line is that the majority are never paying attention to the radio anyway. Of course not all of them are this way.

As for the dispatchers overall they are doing very well. I only wish they would make sure they have all the needed information to dispatch the call before putting it out. I call it dispatch by update. Im just concerned that one day someone is going to arrive on scene just after the call is dispatched and because not all the information was gathered a gun or other weapon might be involved. As for the new radios after a while you get used to it and there not bad. At least we got something new, I doubt will see any new cars which we desperatly need. Owe and by the way whats up with the siren/alarm that goes off in the backround in dispatch.I believe it means a call is coming in, but its very aggravating and its hard to hear them with the sound in the background. Overall dispatch is doing a great job.

08-15-2009, 02:38 PM
I don't disagree that the slugs are really taking advantage of the new system, but I have a different take on why there are so many slugs. It was mentioned that senior officers are slugs and teach that behavior to the newer guys. This is unfair to the likes of Jimmy D. I submit another possible reason for having so many senior slugs. In this department (and probably most other departments), road patrol is a dumping ground. When someone is useless, they are either left on patrol, or sent right back when they screw up in a specialized unit.

These guys soon realize that they are already on permanent punishment, and there is nothing else that will be done to them. So they have no incentive to do their jobs. If they had a sense of responsibility, they would not have scammed the system to begin with. These senior slugs have no shame and screw their fellow officers on a daily basis. They justify this behavior by sighting age, experience, seniority, treatment from admin or some other b.s. reason. But we all know that they are just lazy and shameless.

I don't know how to fix this problem. Supervisors don't want to right them up because if they do, they become the bad guys that are bad mouthed on this website. A lot of the people that take take the Sergeants test just want to be the cool guys. It's tough to be one of the cool guys if people are making fun of you.

The Sergeants that are not interested in being one of the cool guys, usually just want to hang out. Well, it is pretty tough to just hang out if you are writing paper, and then having to write more paper to justify what you did. Not to mention having to deal with a union grievance for writing the paper to begin with. It is easier to simply justify your lack of action by saying "This officer has served this agency for (insert #) years. He has earned the right to do nothing."

Nope... nothing can stop the slugs.

08-15-2009, 04:07 PM
The above post was a pretty good "in a nutshell" observation of the way things are. I'll add another observation.

The recent reshuffling of personnel in the bureau was a shameless coverup of ineptitude. Moving problems from unit to unit within the Bureau provides absolutely no incentive for them to increase their productivity. Road Patrol has always been the dumping ground, but now they are becoming the whipping boys too.

It all boils down to supervision. Does anyone really think that Bureau Sergeants are willing to call on the carpet those members who don't come to work on time, never make arrests, or pretty much just send out closed case cards to justify work? No, they're not. They're too busy at football practices in Davie, or playing softball to worry about actual supervising. When VH gets done they're gonna crawl even further underground. It's a go along get along mentality that will never change.

Road Patrol is the only division where you are required to be in a certain place at a certain time answerable to a particular Sergeant. It now appears that tapes are being pulled and card readers are being monitored as a means to force Supervisors to start cracking the whip on the first floor, but they would never do the same thing on the third floor.

Look at Debbie M. She was unceremoniously dumped from her job via email by Rako for "work ethic and lack of productivity". Don't think it can't happen to you, civilian.

Just a few examples. I'm sure there are more. Watch your backs and stay safe.

08-15-2009, 11:51 PM
I agree with the above posts.
90% of all of this agency's problems can be linked back to one captain who may or may not have passed the FL bar exam.
:lol:

08-17-2009, 01:47 PM
I agree with all of the above posts. i am one of the guilty mentioned in them. Again, I wholly agree with the posts. The big question is what do you suggest be done.

There are people in this agency who, if you tripled their salary, gave them less work, a new car every year and paid them in gold they would complain the gold is too heavy.

As in all the complaints posted here it comes to down to a weak Chief. You can't expect a Sgt. to cure the ills that have instituted.

08-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Sadly this is true. The sgts cannot be expected to be miracal workers. As long as they have my back when push comes to push, then I am happy. There are a few who have the cahonies to stand up to a$$holes like d.r. and I will take them over the a$$kisses any day. As long as you get off the couch when I need you, then im good.

08-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Sadly this is true. The sgts cannot be expected to be miracal workers. As long as they have my back when push comes to push, then I am happy. There are a few who have the cahonies to stand up to a$$holes like d.r. and I will take them over the a$$kisses any day. As long as you get off the couch when I need you, then im good.

Actually, it is spelled "cojones".

08-18-2009, 03:30 AM
"As in all the complaints posted here it comes to down to a weak Chief. You can't expect a Sgt. to cure the ills that have instituted."

Probably the greatest one-liner ever posted on LEO Affairs.

08-20-2009, 01:30 PM
I agree with all of the above posts. i am one of the guilty mentioned in them. Again, I wholly agree with the posts. The big question is what do you suggest be done.

There are people in this agency who, if you tripled their salary, gave them less work, a new car every year and paid them in gold they would complain the gold is too heavy.

As in all the complaints posted here it comes to down to a weak Chief. You can't expect a Sgt. to cure the ills that have instituted.

IF IN FACT YOU ARE GUILTY OF ONE, SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE, I APPOLOGIZE IF IT OFFENDED YOU PERSONALLY. I REALLY DON'T THINK IT'S YOUR FAULT.
OVER THE YEARS, MORE AND MORE IS REQUESTED OF ROAD PATROL. SPECIAL WATCHES, MORE FORMS TO COMPLETE, REJECTED REPORTS, COMPLAINTS THAT ARE ALWAYS BEING ENTERTAINED ETC., ETC..
TO TOP IT OFF WE DEAL WITH THE MESSY SUICIDES, SHOOTINGS/STABBINGS, PHYSICAL FIGHTS, WOMEN IN LABOR, GIVING MOUTH TO MOUTH C.P.R. TO ADULTS AND BABIES, BEING EXPOSED TO HARMFUL CHEMICALS OR BLOOD PATHOGENS, ETC., ETC..
EACH AND EVERY LITTLE THING RAISES THAT STRESS FACTOR ANOTHER NOTCH. NO WONDER WHY POLICE OFFICERS TEND TO DIE AT AN EARLY AGE OF A HEART RELATED ILLNESSES, SUCCUMB TO COLON AND PROSTATE CANCER, SUICIDE, OR HAVE TO GO THROUGH A DIVORCE. THOSE WHO SPEND MOST OF THEIR TIME IN THE A/C LOVE TO KEEP US TIED UP AND RAISE OUR STRESS LEVELS FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE WITH THESE IDIOTIC THINGS.
I CAN UNDERSTAND HOW YOU SENIOR GUYS/GALS HAVE BECOME SLUGS, BECAUSE YOU'RE ONLY LOOKING TO LIVE LONGER LIVES. BUT THAT ETHIC HAS PLACED MORE OF A STRAIN ON THE JUNIOR OFFICERS, DECREASING THEIR LONGEVITY IN BOTH THEIR PROFESSIONAL AND PERSONAL LIVES.
A DECADE OR SO AGO, IT WOULD TAKE YEARS BEFORE MOST OFFICERS WOULD BE WORN DOWN TO A SLUG LEVEL, AND NOW THAT TIME HAS BEEN CUT IN HALF (NO THAT DOESN'T INCLUDE DESILVA AND OTHERS THAT EVERYONE KNOWS BUSTS THEIR ARSE). WHAT MAKES THIS EVEN WORSE IS WHEN A SENIOR OFFICER EXPRESSES HIS/HER DISSATISFACTION WHEN THEY (AS A SENIOR OFFICER) HAS TO CONSTANTLY RESPOND AS A BACKUP FOR A PROACTIVE NEW GUY. THAT ONLY CREATES A HAZARDOUS ATMOUSPHERE SINCE NEW OFFICERS WILL EVENTUALLY PERFORM TRAFFIC STOPS WITHOUT EVER ADVISING. IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT, YOU MAY BE INADVERTENTLY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FIRST OFFICER KILLED IN OUR DEPARTMENT (GOD FORBID).
98% OF OUR NEW OFFICERS ONLY WANT TO GET OUT THERE TO FIND CRIMES IN PROGRESS, AND LEARN FROM THE REST OF US. REALITY HITS THEM WHEN THEY FIGURE OUT THAT THEY ARE FELT AS A BURDEN TO THEIR AREA PARTNERS, WHO ONLY WANT TO SIT IN ONE SPOT WITH THEIR IGNITIONS IN PARK (PROBABLY RUNNING RADAR, FEEDING THEIR FACES, COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS JOB, OR DOING ANYTHING ELSE WE SHOULDN'T BE DOING). YOUR INFECTIOUS INACTIVITIES WILL ONLY BRING THE REST OF US AND THIS DEPARTMENT DOWN. DOWN TO THE POINT WHERE OUR FUTURE CONTRACT PROPOSALS WITH THE CITY WILL NEVER BE AGREED TO, AND OUR FUTURE OFFICERS WILL BE LEAVING OR DYING AT AN EVEN MORE INCREASING RATE.

08-21-2009, 05:23 AM
Wow!!! What does a dispatcher's ethnicity has to do with this topic you (racist), and who was the idiot that wrote in ALL CAPS. Man I heard ppines was the best in Broward County (guess not) Man this dpt must really suck; I guess you all have plenty time to complain b/c the city is not busy? I am in my final stages with you all F$%#ck that I am going to another dpt or south to Miami-Dade County. Bunch of cry babies!!!! MAN UP GOSH!!!!!

08-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Wow!!! What does a dispatcher's ethnicity has to do with this topic you (racist), and who was the idiot that wrote in ALL CAPS. Man I heard ppines was the best in Broward County (guess not) Man this dpt must really suck; I guess you all have plenty time to complain b/c the city is not busy? I am in my final stages with you all F$%#ck that I am going to another dpt or south to Miami-Dade County. Bunch of cry babies!!!! MAN UP GOSH!!!!!

You are such a loser. You don't even have the common sense to make up a believable lie. Even if we were still hiring (which we are not), someone bright enough to make it to that point would not write such an idiotic comment. Go back to the Sun Sentinel's comment page. You can pretend to be whatever you want there.

08-22-2009, 07:14 AM

Thanks for leaving. I'm sure it will be the best for this agency anyway.
Since race was never mentioned, you don't have an argument. So take your application and racist complaints elsewere you elitist nazi. With an attitude like yours, I'm certain you won't last long as a cop anywhere.

08-23-2009, 06:59 AM
Why can't we just elect our Sergeants? Just because a slug tends to do better on a promotional exam, certainly doesn't mean they've earned that rank. Most of us on road patrol know the officers we'd love to work for (JDesilva being number 1). They are the ones that constantly bust their arse looking for shizat and continue to handle calls. What we have now is the reason why this website is so popular. Slugs being promoted, who are now trying to be leader. A leader to those who know exactly how they were on the road. A leader who all of a sudden wants to light a fire under the arses of those that don't produce stats, when they never did a friggin thing.
This current method only allows a few good cops to get through the cracks. I can guarantee that if we had to vote for our Sergeants, Captains, Commanders, this place would be a lot happier and this site wouldn't be so filled with complaints. Of course you're gonna have good officers that become terrible Sergeants, but the number will be a complete reverse of what we have now.