PDA

View Full Version : UNION?

08-10-2009, 06:36 PM
http://news-press.com/article/20090810/NEWS01/90810043/1075

08-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Thank GOD" I cannot wait to vote on a contract' The sooner the better' Why would you not want it? I want it more since the Sheriff does not want it? But now I hear the Sheriff does not care.

08-10-2009, 08:53 PM
If nothing else, we can put what we have now in writing. Tammy Hall has some nerve talking about "flexible". No raise in three years? Civillians getting raises? I bet i can predict what is going to happen. The contract will be negotiated. The County will cry foul. They will declare an impasse. An arbitrator will decide the outcome. The good news is an arbitrator has to rule on all items that were put on the table. I bet this will be a good thing.

08-10-2009, 10:00 PM
You knwo what? I have been looking all over the web to find one case where an agency lost benefits because they unionized. Can't find it anywhere. i can find all sorts of gains. I have seen a lot on here about losing benefits. The whole purpose of a union is to ensure benefits are protected. I bet this is going to be really good both short and long term. If anyone can show mw one law enforcement agency that unionized and lost benefits, please do. I dont even want to hear about the auto workers...they got out of control and everyone knows it....that's not apples to apples.

08-10-2009, 11:22 PM
If it is bound to happen, at least let's get FOP to come in and give us their info and see what they can do as well. We can email the president (James Preston) at president@floridastatefop.org
We need to make a well informed decision and not just give the reigns to some local yocal to make a name for himself. I have heard good things about the FOP. If your child were to need major surgery, wouldn't you want a second opinion....?

08-11-2009, 01:28 PM
If nothing else, we can put what we have now in writing. Tammy Hall has some nerve talking about "flexible". No raise in three years? Civillians getting raises? I bet i can predict what is going to happen. The contract will be negotiated. The County will cry foul. They will declare an impasse. An arbitrator will decide the outcome. The good news is an arbitrator has to rule on all items that were put on the table. I bet this will be a good thing.

I read in Karmas blog site that she calls Hall, Tammany Hall you have to read that she left a link about it and it cracked me up :lol: I think its justice4all but I could be wrong she the sig20 mothers but I got a say, she have some funny stuff on the site and makes alot of sense

hardtothecore
08-11-2009, 10:44 PM
I have a few questions about this union deal or no deal. If we do go union, and we vote them in, can we vote them back out with a majority if things are not to our standards?

Also can we get them to lower the number of years to leave to 20 and out or does that not have anything to do with them?

How would the union for corrections be different from the road, there is talk about segregation between the two.

Also I don't understand how our benefits could be lowered or cost us more. I can understand how our equipment,training, and other areas might tho.

The sergeant's and above all talk bad about the union, that they would be excluded, is that because thay would not get promised raises every year or what? Does their vote still count? If no promised raises, I could understand why they would'nt be happy, but that could also stop us from getting unionized.

Can anyone help me out on these issues.

08-12-2009, 12:46 AM
FOP has been contacted by several deputies wanting information and it should be coming. This will help all make an informed decision IF a union is what the majority wants. As a note, FOP did not endorse a candidated for lee county sheriff in 2008, check out their website of their 2008 endorsements; PBA did, mmmmm...... Would your best interests be represented by PBA?

08-12-2009, 02:22 AM
I think if the PBA comes in it wool poison to this department. We have not even educated by the PBA on what they would like to do for this department. All the new guys will simply vote yes in hopes of a quick raise. And the first pull for money within the budget will be benifits. I personally don't use the insurance much, but that would royally screw most of the department.

Think before you vote, and get informed on what PBA plans on doing with our department!!!

08-12-2009, 02:42 AM
Also I don't understand how our benefits could be lowered or cost us more. I can understand how our equipment,training, and other areas might tho.

Seriously? You don't understand how benefits coul dbe lowered or cost you more? Lemme splain it for you...

Your health/dental/vision insurance; that covers you AND your spouse AND your spawn. Free of charge. You do not pay for any of it. It's not free for you and you have to pay for the spouse/spawn coverage. It's not "offered" but you have to pay for a portion or percentage of it. FULL COVERAGE for you and yours = FREE.

How it could be lowered or cost you... It could go away. Your benefits could COST you, i.e., you'd have to PAY for it.

You heard of this huge "health care reform" thing we got goin' on? Ever priced health insurance that measures up to what you're GIVEN? Maybe you should look into that and get back to the rest of us with what you find out.

How you figure equipment, training or other areas could suffer but not "get" the benefits stuff is curious.

08-12-2009, 04:01 AM
If it is bound to happen, at least let's get FOP to come in and give us their info and see what they can do as well. We can email the president (James Preston) at president@floridastatefop.org
We need to make a well informed decision and not just give the reigns to some local yocal to make a name for himself. I have heard good things about the FOP. If your child were to need major surgery, wouldn't you want a second opinion....?
What are you crazy' Look around at the agencys that have FOP are leaving going to the PBA, They are larger and more powerful" The PBA has the political power to get people out of office that do not work with you" be smart stay PBA,

08-12-2009, 04:07 AM
FOP has been contacted by several deputies wanting information and it should be coming. This will help all make an informed decision IF a union is what the majority wants. As a note, FOP did not endorse a candidated for lee county sheriff in 2008, check out their website of their 2008 endorsements; PBA did, mmmmm...... Would your best interests be represented by PBA?
Fact: I checked on it and yes they gave mikey a letter of endorsement but NO MONEY" I bet that if he continues to push back with the PBA. We wont get sh'' ' next time but we would get a new sheriff just like in 2004' History repeats its self; What goes around comes around. Miley has too many things in the closets that keeps falling out. Calling car #2 where are you?

08-12-2009, 04:15 AM
I think if the PBA comes in it wool poison to this department. We have not even educated by the PBA on what they would like to do for this department. All the new guys will simply vote yes in hopes of a quick raise. And the first pull for money within the budget will be benifits. I personally don't use the insurance much, but that would royally screw most of the department.

Think before you vote, and get informed on what PBA plans on doing with our department!!!
Inform yourself''' I did by going to the e mail address and asking questions. So you know WE would be the PBA in LCSO they are not going to take it over like a bunch of alliens. It is up to US the employees to have what we want in our contract. Not mangement or the people in the PBA that would be helping us with the tools, Attorneys,Reps and staff to complete the contract. Just like the Sheriff, county manager they have a contract to cover their benifits,Job duties,hours and ect. Why cant we have one too?
Take to time to ask for yourself and stop asking silly questions on this web page.

08-12-2009, 04:24 AM
I have a few questions about this union deal or no deal. If we do go union, and we vote them in, can we vote them back out with a majority if things are not to our standards?

Also can we get them to lower the number of years to leave to 20 and out or does that not have anything to do with them?

How would the union for corrections be different from the road, there is talk about segregation between the two.

The sergeant's and above all talk bad about the union, that they would be excluded, is that because thay would not get promised raises every year or what? Does their vote still count? If no promised raises, I could understand why they would'nt be happy, but that could also stop us from getting unionized.

Can anyone help me out on these issues.
yes you vote them out just like north of us they are voting out the FOP and going to the PBA, I know also that pension is in the FRS could be in the contract but uslly it is not. I also asked the same question about corrections since I have family working there in the CORE. I they wanted to have a contract then they would go throgh the same process of voting to have a contract. Their contract would be differant since corrections has other needs than patrol. I did find out the many Sgts have already signed blue cards and it is a matter of time where they also would be included. I contact the local President Cecil Pendergrass and got all the info I needed and and more, The guy is realy smart about this stuff and educated me about the whole thing. Just ask about it. It does not hurt.

08-12-2009, 04:30 AM
That makes sense' Lets see all of the agencys I know are leaving the FOP so lets jump on board that sinking ship; I guess we could dock it at the Pine Island Marina? NOT '''' Maybe at the Ft Myers Bch NOT there either. You will hear about that one next week in the news press. Lets stay witht eh PBA they are the only one that can help us and control car#1

08-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Yeah we're a regular mobile on the go dept :roll:

08-12-2009, 10:53 PM
I never said lets not go PBA at all. I only said lets listen to both and compare. Make an informed decision. If you talk to different people at different agencies that have unions you will get different answers and some will say they did like PBA and some that didn't vice versa with the FOP. Hopefully the reps in the PBA and FOP read these blogs and can respond where direct questions can be asked and the answers can be posted. This would be best for all to see. I am quite sure if you have a question someone else does too and doen't want to blog it.
I am still not sold on a union, there is not enough information to make this decision that will affect us for years to come.
We need more details, I don't want to hear what the PBA or FOP did 10 years ago for a guy in Indiana. Don't care. I want to know what they will do for you and me today and tomorrow.
Anyone see the NP online this evening? http://news-press.com/article/20090812/ ... GECAROUSEL (http://news-press.com/article/20090812/SS15/90812050/1075/Lee-County-Sheriff-Scott-responds-to-unionization-efforts&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL)
make you feel good?

08-15-2009, 02:42 AM

Seriously? You don't understand how benefits coul dbe lowered or cost you more? Lemme splain it for you...

Your health/dental/vision insurance; that covers you AND your spouse AND your spawn. Free of charge. You do not pay for any of it. It's not free for you and you have to pay for the spouse/spawn coverage. It's not "offered" but you have to pay for a portion or percentage of it. FULL COVERAGE for you and yours = FREE.

How it could be lowered or cost you... It could go away. Your benefits could COST you, i.e., you'd have to PAY for it.

You heard of this huge "health care reform" thing we got goin' on? Ever priced health insurance that measures up to what you're GIVEN? Maybe you should look into that and get back to the rest of us with what you find out.

How you figure equipment, training or other areas could suffer but not "get" the benefits stuff is curious.

Do you believe that the Sheriff is not going to begin charging for insurance premiums within teh next 18 months? Ask him. Follow the chain of command and ask him. Don't be shortsighted.

08-15-2009, 03:30 AM
The Florida PBA is a major political player in Florida especially when it comes to endorsing or not endorsing political candidates. Right now, the Sheriff and the Counsel pander to the voters, just like all politicians. With PBA, they will have to take into account OUR needs and desires or risk being alienated by the PBA. This is just one more area in which we would have a seat at the table to decide what benefits we get and which, if any, we give up.

Also, under the proposed Health Care Reform bills, union members would not be taxed on the value of their employer provided health care benefits. That alone is a good reason to go union.

Mike is clearly against the union, even though he says he doesn't care. All those anti-union emails are designed to apply any pressure, right? That's just to "keep everyone informed". If that was true, wouldn't he post some pro-union emails so we could understand and digest both sides of the discussion?

The fact that Mike is against the union should make you stop and ask what he is scared of. I doubt he's lying in bed late at night and unable to sleep worrying that if we go union he might be "forced" to make us pay for insurance. Chances are he is scared of the union because he knows it will limit his power to do whatever the f*** he wants to do to us. He might actually have to promote sergeants off a list and in order based on their test scores and not based on who they are friends with or what specialty unit they belong in. He might have to let employees choose what shift they work based upon the seniority they earned over time.

He got shortsighted. If he had given us even small raises over the last couple of years, I doubt this union movement would have gotten any legs at all. Penny wise, dollar foolish.

One last thing, if you are one of those people who thinks it is OK to not get a raise because you are driving an 08 or an 09 car instead - please get a life and start prioritizing your families and not your job.

I'm Mama Tranks and I approved this message.

08-15-2009, 03:46 AM
The Florida PBA is a major political player in Florida especially when it comes to endorsing or not endorsing political candidates. Right now, the Sheriff and the Counsel pander to the voters, just like all politicians. With PBA, they will have to take into account OUR needs and desires or risk being alienated by the PBA. This is just one more area in which we would have a seat at the table to decide what benefits we get and which, if any, we give up.

Also, under the proposed Health Care Reform bills, union members would not be taxed on the value of their employer provided health care benefits. That alone is a good reason to go union.

Mike is clearly against the union, even though he says he doesn't care. All those anti-union emails are designed to apply any pressure, right? That's just to "keep everyone informed". If that was true, wouldn't he post some pro-union emails so we could understand and digest both sides of the discussion?

The fact that Mike is against the union should make you stop and ask what he is scared of. I doubt he's lying in bed late at night and unable to sleep worrying that if we go union he might be "forced" to make us pay for insurance. Chances are he is scared of the union because he knows it will limit his power to do whatever the f*** he wants to do to us. He might actually have to promote sergeants off a list and in order based on their test scores and not based on who they are friends with or what specialty unit they belong in. He might have to let employees choose what shift they work based upon the seniority they earned over time.

He got shortsighted. If he had given us even small raises over the last couple of years, I doubt this union movement would have gotten any legs at all. Penny wise, dollar foolish.

One last thing, if you are one of those people who thinks it is OK to not get a raise because you are driving an 08 or an 09 car instead - please get a life and start prioritizing your families and not your job.

I'm Mama Tranks and I approved this message.

Written so well it made me weep. I think I love you Mama Tanks. Hope you're not a dude.

GO UNION!!!!!!!!!!!

wife-of-fl-leo
08-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Please forgive me if this a redundant question. Is it true that Sergeants and above will not be covered if this union thing takes off? I hear the rumor but noone of substance has stepped up to answer the rumor. Thanks for your help!

08-17-2009, 11:17 PM
That is correct. Sgt. and above are not currently protected by PERC. However, they can opt in if they wish under the current PERC protection that is in place. They can also opt to have seperate bargaining unit. Just requires an ammendment to be sent to perc along with their blue cards. I know that many Sgts. have already signed the blue cards and they are almost at 30%. It looks like they will have it soon too.

wife-of-fl-leo
08-18-2009, 04:12 AM
I have been reading all these posts about the union and the majority of the reason that people are for it is the almighty $$$. Many have said that if the Sheriff had given little raises then the union thing would not even be an issue. For 15 years my husband has and continues to serve proudly. The last two years are the only times that he has not received an at least 5% raise and that's with three different Sheriff's. I am sure that the next couple of years may also bring limited to no raises but at least you all have good paying careers. Budget proposals are almost always political in nature. I don't know much about unions but I am under the assumption that if the PBA or FOP takes over they too will have to politic money, raises, and other issues that the Sheriff's have dealed with for all these years. I am extremely open minded but concerned if this is really the answer. I pray that my benefits do not change because what we have now is the best I've seen in the area. Good luck to you all!