PDA

View Full Version : Do ya think

07-31-2009, 08:21 AM
Just wondering if maybe I would have a chance at getting on USFPD. I have a background in Campus Safety, and have worked in a supervisory position, solved plenty of theft cases, worked "dignitary" (long story) protection, on campus, and in the private security sector worked industrial security, bounced at a latino nightclub, and patrolled residential complexes.

My standards for LE have lapsed, but according to FDLE's website I can still recert by just taking the high liability and state test over, but that can only happen right now if I get a sponsor as money doesnt really allow it right now. Oh, I have common sense, not book smarts , and CAN take constructive critiscism.

I would REALLY like to join, and NOT use it as a stepping stone. Heck, $38000/yr to me would be like winning the lottery. I'd gladly sign that contract for 3 years with no regrets. Your agency is still needing people, right?

Thanks in advance.
:D

07-31-2009, 07:29 PM
We curently are not sponsoring anyone right now. Money is a big issue, well , at least when it comes to a Police Budget. Put in an App anyway, you never know.

I really think The USF Admin is just waiting for the "big one " to happen before they give us a real budget and proper manpower. Until then they will just rely on luck.

07-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the response.

Is there anyone I could talk to about a possible sponsorship (?) and to let them know what my experience level is.

I would only be taking the high liability and state test portion according to FDLE, so it wouldnt really be a "full" sponsorship.

How many slots are open anyway? (If you know).

08-01-2009, 02:01 AM
The Command staff says there are 3 openings. Put in an application, do a ride along. CALL FIRST AND SCHEDULE IT!!!

08-01-2009, 02:26 AM
Ride a long? What idiot is saying that? A ride a long isn't going to help you get hired in anyway. I don't care if you come in wearing the academy clothes and a tie. That's all BS. It will not get you hired in any way.

08-01-2009, 05:19 AM
If you were a FL LEO, then the EOT class is about $1000. The test was $100 two years ago. Some depts reimburse you for those costs. But you'll probably have to lay out the money yourself at first. You can also write off the cost on your income taxes.

08-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks your guys/ gals !

First thing Monday, im putting in my app , with resume' , and info on my work experience, etc. Thank you all for the help answering my questions. Hopefully I can get hired :lol:

Stay safe :cop:

08-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Do a ride along and ride with a seasoned 1 year Veteran who will explain all you need to know about being a cop. :cop:

08-01-2009, 03:44 PM
a seasoned 1 year veteran

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

08-01-2009, 05:21 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah it's real funny, "brother officer". Thanks for insulting the people who have your back, "brother".

Sir, you should definitely ride with a one-year officer. You will see more hardcore law enforcement action. You will be exposed to someone who has a good, positive attitude. You will see how the job is with one of the good guys who do the heavy lifting around here.

You should not ride with a so-called veteran. You will spend the whole shift enjoying a shade tree while he reads a couple of newspapers. You will hear this guy, after he steals money by being paid well to read the newspaper, complain that he isn't appreciated for all he does(?).

Ride with one of the go-getters instead of one of the oxygen thieves.

08-01-2009, 07:31 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah it's real funny, "brother officer". Thanks for insulting the people who have your back, "brother".

Sir, you should definitely ride with a one-year officer. You will see more . law enforcement action. You will be exposed to someone who has a good, positive attitude. You will see how the job is with one of the good guys who do the heavy lifting around here.

You should not ride with a so-called veteran. You will spend the whole shift enjoying a shade tree while he reads a couple of newspapers. You will hear this guy, after he steals money by being paid well to read the newspaper, complain that he isn't appreciated for all he does(?).

Its a matter of opinion. The guy sitting on campus under a shade tree is doing more for the USF community than the rookie 'go getter' who is sucking up university funds with overtime (and the majority of the shift's manpower backing him up) on misdemeanor traffic arrests in someone elses jurisdiction. Heavy lifting - give me a break.

08-01-2009, 11:22 PM
No best possible P.O here

08-02-2009, 11:03 AM
I think this could possibly be my "niche" in the job market.

Besides, if you dont like your current job, find somewhere else, thats what im doing, plus it leaves another spot open for people like me who would love to have your 38k + benefits per year, hell... i'd do it for less because I enjoy it. I've worked BS campus jobs for 5 wooden nickels, but I enjoy it. Its not how many tickets you scratch, arrests you make, or crimes you solve, but the interaction with the community in a professional manner.

I understand McDonalds needs managers, TPD needs supercops, and the northern USA is getting warmer due to climate changes, for those interested in leaving USFPD.

08-02-2009, 02:51 PM

Besides, if you dont like your current job, find somewhere else, thats what im doing, plus it leaves another spot open for people like me who would love to have your 38k + benefits per year, hell... i'd do it for less because I enjoy it. I've worked BS campus jobs for 5 wooden nickels, but I enjoy it. Its not how many tickets you scratch, arrests you make, or crimes you solve, but the interaction with the community in a professional manner.

I understand McDonalds needs managers, TPD needs supercops, and the northern USA is getting warmer due to climate changes, for those interested in leaving USFPD.

You had me at hello. That is, until you mentioned climate change like it is real. Since 2000, the earth's temperature has not risen a peep. The liberals and hucksters trying to make a buck (like Al Gore) won't talk about that though.

The earth's temp. did rise for a few years by a fraction of one degree. But so did the temp. on every other planet in the solar system. You see, there is a big fireball up in the sky known as the sun. It pulsates slowly so temperatures on the surrounding planets pulsate. Al Gore won't tell you this either nor will Obama's media.

08-02-2009, 05:21 PM

You had me at hello. That is, until you mentioned climate change like it is real. Since 2000, the earth's temperature has not risen a peep. The liberals and hucksters trying to make a buck (like Al Gore) won't talk about that though.

The earth's temp. did rise for a few years by a fraction of one degree. But so did the temp. on every other planet in the solar system. You see, there is a big fireball up in the sky known as the sun. It pulsates slowly so temperatures on the surrounding planets pulsate. Al Gore won't tell you this either nor will Obama's media.

We'll just blame it on el nina' :snicker:

Nutjob, can I call you nutjob? Your cool with me. :D

The whole rising temps thing sounded better than "welcome to the south, now go home" (cough) --> :mrgreen: <-- (cough)

I'm going to steer clear of the politics (reference: liberals/ hucksters/ Al Gore), in that conversation opinions are like a--holes, everybodies got one.

08-02-2009, 06:52 PM
The Global warming thing is almost as big as a joke as Y2k, but lots people have fell for it and gone on the band wagon. That Gore is one of the biggest crooks around, they have proved that his Jet and his home alone use an ungoldy amount of energy. He should be investigated like a lot of these television evangelists.

The extra overtime the department has, has nothing to do with University policing, but we shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. It is a good way for an officer to make extra money....no overtime should of any kind offered to us should be discredited. There are some agencies that do not have the overtime opportunities USF has. Be thankful!

08-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Which campus has the 3 openings? Is that university wide? Or should I just put in an app. at both?

08-04-2009, 05:40 PM
[quote]a seasoned 1 year veteran

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sir, you should definitely ride with a one-year officer. You will see more . law enforcement action. You will be exposed to someone who has a good, positive attitude. You will see how the job is with one of the good guys who do the heavy lifting around here.

Its a matter of opinion. The guy sitting on campus under a shade tree is doing more for the USF community than the rookie 'go getter' who is sucking up university funds with overtime (and the majority of the shift's manpower backing him up) on misdemeanor traffic arrests in someone elses jurisdiction. Heavy lifting - give me a break.[/quote:1qceq4bh]

Give us all a break! The officer sitting under a tree isn't doing anything for anyone. And you show your ignorance by saying that the "go getters" are using university overtime funds. They are all payed by a grant stupid! It aint university money and it cant be stolen by the administration to build new signs or some dorky ornament on campus. And, I guess your so busy sitting under a tree reading a newspaper that you just cant be bothered backing up a fellow officer on a traffic stop. Retire now! Slug.

08-06-2009, 12:34 AM
These post make me laugh. A "slug" sitting under a tree. You put years on this job, and don't make rank and have a desk job for the majority of your career. If not, are you as motivated as the young punks posting these posts and are hired here every few years and get pissed off about their job? No.

Not eveyone will make rank. If you plan on staying at USF, thats something you should think about for your career. As long as I've been here, I don't know of any patrolman that has acutally retired as a patrolman here. That should be a red flag to a lot of you new people that get hired here and thinking about spending a career here.

You post to the few people that have been here in patrol for 10 or more years, "they are wasting breathing space".. Not everyone will get promoted and you will be in the same situation some day on this job.

This post is to the people that actually want to spend a career here and not the punks that post the BS and cause problems until their contract is up and they leave, which is almost always all the hires. One day you will be a veteran and older on the job. Think about it.

08-06-2009, 12:44 AM
These post make me laugh. A "slug" sitting under a tree. You put years on this job, and don't make rank and have a desk job for the majority of your career. If not, are you as motivated as the young punks posting these posts and are hired here every few years and get pissed off about their job? No.

Not eveyone will make rank. If you plan on staying at USF, thats something you should think about for your career. As long as I've been here, I don't know of any patrolman that has acutally retired as a patrolman here. That should be a red flag to a lot of you new people that get hired here and thinking about spending a career here.

You post to the few people that have been here in patrol for 10 or more years, "they are wasting breathing space".. Not everyone will get promoted and you will be in the same situation some day on this job.

This post is to the people that actually want to spend a career here and not the punks that post the BS and cause problems until their contract is up and they leave, which is almost always all the hires. One day you will be a veteran and older on the job. Think about it.

That's fine! If I get lazy and become a thief in my old age then I'll quit and get out of the way for the new breed of real workers. I'll know its time when I find myself sitting under a tree reading the newspaper on dayshift.

The people in the community deserve to have the best, brightest and hardest working officers on the payroll. Being old doesnt give you the right to steal the money in your paycheck.

08-06-2009, 02:21 AM
What a joke you young punk! Some day you'll be older too, and the new people where you are working will say the same thing..."they aren't worth a shit, they don't do anything."

You punk! It's really a shame that there isn't much senority at USF PD, and the ones that do stay on the job, are talked down so much for not doing the things that they did as newbs on the job...ie..,being a traffic hound/tail light chaser.

I always wonder why people join up to be a University Cop and then complain about the lack of action on the job and complain about the veterans that have been here for years. It's and endless cycle. Newbs trained by newbs, then talking shit about everyone and everything and then moving on to other agencies. When you get to the "real" pd you think you want to be at, it will be a different story I am sure. I hope when you get your time on the job, the newbs talk as much shit about you as you did about the veterans.

08-06-2009, 04:15 AM
There is about no verteran employees here...which I would consider maybe 15- 18 yrs on the job...as compared to other agencies. For you people wanting to spend your career here..,there is maybe one veteran patrolman...he has the status of Master Patrolman but he has never been an FTO or served as an Acting Shift Commander..both of which I would think would be required for that pay and rank. Oh, well.., The Master Patrol program was done away with anyways, so you won't be able to even get that. A lot to look forward to I would say. From reading the post, you will sign on, spend a few years..., either get promoted, or move on. For a career in the field, I would look elsewhere really.

08-14-2009, 07:24 AM
That's fine! If I get lazy and become a thief in my old age then I'll quit and get out of the way for the new breed of real workers. I'll know its time when I find myself sitting under a tree reading the newspaper on dayshift.

The people in the community deserve to have the best, brightest and hardest working officers on the payroll. Being old doesnt give you the right to steal the money in your paycheck.[/quote]

Who am I? I've been a University Cop for less than 2 years. I've never seen a stabbing, shooting, rape, or had to lay hands on a drunk wife beater at 3AM; but I can sure 'knock the bottom' out of off campus tail light chasing and 5 hour dui arrests. I think this is all real policing is about, and it makes me such an asset to my agency - you know the University Police Department that I signed up to serve. This gets me all big headed and arrogant. I can't wait to go to the county/city to show my new FTO all of the real policing skills I have learned here at x50 PD.

08-15-2009, 12:53 AM
OMG, I couldn't have said it better! What a bunk this place is! I got sold a lot of crap, and I didn't take the job as a Univeristy Cop to be a junior FHP, to spend my career chasing tail lights and work to get others advanced in their job through stats. I am feeling very disapointed in this job, I know I am not alone.

08-15-2009, 03:20 AM
How about the security of the campus? The buildings? The safety of the students that like to take a late night walk or jog around the campus? Or the students that have their bicycles stolen on a continual basis? From what I understand the UP is mainly focused on the off campus traffic vehicle violations. It is something that needs to be addresed, especially when I hear that the UP is under staffed! What is going on there with the people running that department? This needs to be investigated, at least for the safety of the students that live and attend clases at USF.

08-15-2009, 02:06 PM
How about the security of the campus? The buildings? The safety of the students that like to take a late night walk or jog around the campus? Or the students that have their bicycles stolen on a continual basis? From what I understand the UP is mainly focused on the off campus traffic vehicle violations. It is something that needs to be addresed, especially when I hear that the UP is under staffed! What is going on there with the people running that department? This needs to be investigated, at least for the safety of the students that live and attend clases at USF.

Please allow me to expose you:
You are not a student.
You are a USF officer.
You are a lazy officer who hates the officers who actually work and do traffic enforcement.
You are a so-called veteran.

Please retire ASAP as law enforcement has passed you by.

08-15-2009, 02:42 PM
and work to get others advanced in their job through stats.

If you think it's any different anywhere else, good luck.

08-16-2009, 12:10 AM
I don't know what it's like to work at any police department, I haven't graduated yet, but I follow this forum. I posted the concerned student post, and from reading the other posts, I am concerned. I am concerned about what is happening on the campus. I hope to be a UP someday when I graduate.

08-16-2009, 01:06 AM
Before taking the job a USF, applicants should know that the main focus on the job at USF PD, is doing traffic stops. I didn't know this coming into the job. You are required to sign a contract. My contract is about up and I am plan on leaving. Just FYI for new applicants. I thought I would be doing campus police work, but I found out that it is mainly a FHP based type job. If this is what you're looking for it is a good job. Just FYI to new applicants.

08-16-2009, 01:25 AM
Before taking the job a USF, applicants should know that the main focus on the job at USF PD, is doing traffic stops. I didn't know this coming into the job. You are required to sign a contract. My contract is about up and I am plan on leaving. Just FYI for new applicants. I thought I would be doing campus police work, but I found out that it is mainly a FHP based type job. If this is what you're looking for it is a good job. Just FYI to new applicants.

Identify yourself and I'll start up a collection to get you out of your contract early. Ungrateful sunuva*****! If you cant handle doing the kind of police work done here and you cant be loyal then you can f*&$ right off! SCREW YOU!?

08-16-2009, 02:31 AM
So Typical. Upon trying to get the traffic stop quotas in, and trying to get the ones that count for the "Cheif's Challenge" stats (which is another story in it's self). You have to put up with attitudes like that. I haven't been here that long, but I know that just isn't right. They say all other agencies are like that, but I've had enough time here to know I]ve got to move on to a different agency. I've had enough of it and I am ready to move on and try something different.

08-16-2009, 04:12 AM
Chiefs Challenge

Thats a story deserves its own page.