PDA

View Full Version : Scott violated the Hatch Act

07-30-2009, 05:56 PM
The U.S. Office of Special Counsel will not pursue disciplinary action against Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott for appearing in uniform when he addressed thousands at an October rally for then vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

While a win for Scott, the federal office hardly handed him a ringing endorsement.

Erica S. Hamrick, deputy chief of the Hatch Act Unit, said Scott violated the Hatch Act, but the federal board that rules on such matters may not rule in the Office of Special Counsel’s favor. Therefore she closed the case.

The Hatch Act is intended to prevent public officials in the executive branch who receive federal money from becoming involved in elections. At question was whether being introduced as the sheriff and wearing the uniform to speak at the Republican Party rally put Scott in violation.

“The bottom line is that they dragged their feet for about eight months and dropped the case…that alone speaks volumes,” Scott wrote in an e-mail statement to media.

Hamrick said in a June letter Scott violated the act, but “... did not attempt to use the weight of your position as Sheriff to influence voters.”

She said the Merit Systems Protection Board has never ruled on similar facts as in Scott’s case, and it’s unclear how it would rule. The three-person board is an independent, quasi-judicial agency that serves as the guardian of federal work force principles.

The ruling officially buries what turned out to be a most controversial day for the top law enforcer in Lee County.

The Republican Scott found national spotlight when he invoked now-President Barack Obama’s middle name, Hussein, as he warmed up the thousands on hand.

That angered some who called it an attempt to tie Obama to Muslim terrorists. Scott backers said he did nothing wrong in using Obama’s rightful birth name.

Hamrick’s team opened the investigation the next day.

The Florida Commission on Ethics would later consider opening an investigation into Scott’s statement under a provision prohibiting those in public office from “corruptly” using their position or resources for personal gain. In December, the commission chose not to investigate complaints.

“This official closure is my second vindication in this matter,” Scott said in his statement. “The first was Inauguration Day when our president put his hand on a Bible and took his oath with the exact same name I mentioned in my speech.”

A Scott supporter is relieved with the decision.

“I didn’t have any problem with it at all, I think it is done all the time,’’ said Fort Myers resident Albert Woodhouse about Scott wearing his uniform at the speech. “What I didn’t want to see is we lose a good sheriff over something trivial.”

07-30-2009, 06:23 PM
1. Those that make things happen: The sheriff made a fool of himself.

2. Those that watch things happen: America watch him make a fool out of himself and
portray LSCO as Mayberry.

3. Those that wonder what happen: I wonder what happen to the disciplinary board and
justice??

07-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Hey Sam!

I thought you had you're own column at that rag Newspress.

Kinda sucks that Car 1 has been vindicated huh?

What are you going to write about now?

Sheriff Scott owns your ass! Fat fake name using ex-con!

08-01-2009, 02:12 AM
Did anyone see the fox news story last night?

08-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:14 PM
To: Scott, Mike; King, Larry; Sheehan, John
Subject: Questions for Sheriff Scott

Why did you decide to share your thoughts on a local columnist with so many media and other public safety organizations?

When you referred to the columnist "inviting everyone for a beer" ... what did you mean? Were you making a comparison to the Cambridge race case involving the President?

What did you hope to achieve by sending the email to so much of the media?

The nature of comments might appear to have a personal tone some. What do you think?

We've not seen communication like this from you (what appear to be commentary) being sent out to all media and other public safety groups. Is this what citizens can expect in the future?

Do you think these kinds of messages are in the best interest of public safety?

Is there a message you want to get to citizens - that you think the media is not bringing?

You promised voters during the campaign "the days of disgraceful headlines for the sheriff's office are over." Your office has been making headlines for controversy (the Hatch investigation, the Ferrante departures and now this.) What would you say to voters who may've expected something different?

Thank you so much for your time. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Justine Waldman
Fox 4 News - In Your Corner
jwaldman@fox4now.com

Sent: Thu 30-Jul-09 5:00 PM
Subject: RE: Questions for Sheriff Scott

Frankly, I am shocked by some of your questions. The e-mails yesterday were most certainly intended to make my feelings known to the media in general that trumped up and bogus stories like Sam's will not go without response from our agency. His garbage was an obvious attempt to parallel the Gates v Cambridge fiasco. The "race card" was played by our President as well and despite the fact that it has caused great concern across our nation, the Newsless-Press felt compelled to stir that nonsense here in Lee County...truly a sad, cheap shot.

Your final paragraph and question is pretty shallow Justine. Our agency is comprised of more than 1,500 people and the very small percentage of those (like the Ferrantes) that generate negative headlines do so of their own volition. The headlines we generate are nearly always positive and aside from the Obama flack which is debatable, I have enjoyed favorable reviews, ie. the most recent Governor's appointment.

Most importantly, my average margin of victory in three (3) consecutive elections is 75% which tells me that a great majority of my constituents don't share the doom and gloom you suggest.

Bottom line is this...I am not sure about the key to success...but I am sure that the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Best regards,
Mike

08-01-2009, 12:08 PM
It's hard to believe that the chief law enforcement officer in our county uses this kind of tone with anyone. It's unprofessional and childish and demonstrates his lack of maturity and poor judgment.

08-01-2009, 12:08 PM
What's the Sheriff's Office Position on associating with Felons?
Is it acceptable to take campaign donations from Felons?
Not just any felon, the leader of a cartel. :evil:

08-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Theirs nothing wrong with the sheriff reacting the way he is. What do you expect him to just take your shit? Everyone knows the media is out to make a name for them self’s. You guys twist every story possible. Hell you can't even do a good report on health care. Most of you are tree hugging liberals. This is fine. But try taking actions for you mistakes. Like Denzel Washington put in the movie Training Day, you know why I read the paper? It is entertaining. It is some percent bullshit, but entertaining. It really is to see you guys twist everything. The sheriff is doing a great job, better then shoap did. What this world needs is an independent president and independent leaders. That includes sheriff etc....

08-14-2009, 06:44 PM
What's the Sheriff's Office Position on associating with Felons?
Is it acceptable to take campaign donations from Felons?
Not just any felon, the leader of a cartel. :evil:

If this was an LCSO employee doing this, there would have been an IA and they would have been fired for conduct unbecoming at the very least. It is policy that we are not allowed to associate with felons. Again, if you read the small print at the bottom of every memo he puts out, "everything is at the discretion of the sheriff." He can make/break policy when he wants, he answers to no one. The only people that have to hold him accountable are the voters and citizens of Lee County. He will tell you 90+% were in favor of his actions during the election. Then again, that was prior to the release of all this information. Trust me, they have been doing everything possible to keep this under wraps. More will come out, just wait. When it does, I will bet he will be too busy to answer any questions or will throw out some old cliche's and avoid the situation. Has anyone noticed he is not as accessible to us or the media lately. The recent memo from the colonel explains that. His 'open door policy' is gone and his office door is closed with a sign outside his office reading, out to lunch be back when my retirement check is ready.

08-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Hmmmmm,

Maybe his $70,000.00 a year secretary closed the door when she left for her next bigger paying job, married to a FED. Nobody ran more people on DAVID or slept with more sales reps, Chief's, Deputies and FED's than her.

Of course all of the civilian managers are now pulling in $70,000.00 a year plus benefits, yeah team!

Talk about something that should be investigated!

08-14-2009, 10:34 PM
It is a shame that soo many people pretend to know what they are talking about. I would hope that those who are talking as though they have the facts take a step or two back and actually get the facts before commenting. We all know this site is read by the media and other non-leo's so instead of sounding ignorant make sure you know what you are talking about first and not just talking about rumors and whining. Would you allow your children to base their decisions on rumors and guess work or would you require them to get the facts first?

08-15-2009, 12:41 PM
It is a shame that soo many people pretend to know what they are talking about. I would hope that those who are talking as though they have the facts take a step or two back and actually get the facts before commenting. We all know this site is read by the media and other non-leo's so instead of sounding ignorant make sure you know what you are talking about first and not just talking about rumors and whining. Would you allow your children to base their decisions on rumors and guess work or would you require them to get the facts first?

Umm,

Everything posted above is a FACT, are you mad she got married? I'm sure ex-car two has some awesome pictures to show you....

AND

The civilian director raises are very much a fact, starting at $70,000.00! look at their retirement plan now, it is now the same as a road DEPUTY! FACT!

08-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Bonz fallin' outta the closet.

READ ALL ABOUT IT!

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=videonetwork&videoID=1216067090