PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff's No. 2 man sets sights on retirement

07-22-2009, 11:46 PM
http://www2.hernandotoday.com/content/2009/jul/22/sheriffs-no-2-man-sets-sights-retirement/news/

BROOKSVILLE - Michael Hensley doesn't believe in luck.
He's treated soldiers on the battlefields of Vietnam and escaped a knifepoint robbery.
Hensley has been hit head-on with a car, patrolled Hernando County with backup miles away and drawn his gun in the line of duty.
But he doesn't credit luck for bringing him to his upcoming retirement. He calls it providence. And it's that fate Hensley believes kept him at the Hernando County Sheriff's Office.
"I never anticipated being part of the evolution of an organization like this," said Hensley, who started in patrol in 1983 and is now second-in-command as chief deputy.
A majority of his 35 years in law enforcement were spent locally, but Hensley, 58, got his start with St. Petersburg police. Like most recruits, he went through the police academy and worked alongside a field training officer before working the streets.
He keenly remembers the first day he was truly alone on the job.
"It's just you and the call," Hensley said in an interview Monday.
That would turn out to be the appeal of police work for him: Arriving at the scene, assessing the situation and creating a solution. He thrived on the challenge — and the fun.
At one point, South St. Petersburg was having a wave of Friday night robberies. Police determined that the robbers were targeting the besotted citizens who were drinking away their paychecks.
A sting was formulated and Hensley was drafted as a decoy to stumble along the streets. The plan worked and Hensley was robbed at knifepoint.
"The higher the risk, the higher the reward," Hensley said, before adding: "At that age."
Like many rookies, Hensley took the job with the idea he could save the world. That bubble burst early on, but it wasn't really a case of disillusionment. It was more of a realization of how important teamwork is, Hensley said.
"You can't right the wrong by yourself," he said. "You do the best you can and hope others are too."
In 1983, after nine years on the job, Hensley moved to the Hernando County Sheriff's Office. It was a shock initially coming from the fast-paced city beat to a shift where he was sometimes the only deputy on the east side of the county.
But the county was growing fast and Hensley's career shot up along with it. One of the remarkable things about law enforcement is there are all types of jobs and supervisory roles that come with it from patrol to detective, sergeant to major, Hensley said.
Hensley's job grew more challenging as he climbed the chain of command. As a supervisor, you have to make decisions for the greater good of the agency versus the individual deputy, and that's tough, Hensley said.
Making the decision to retire was also tough, but Hensley is ready for a break and to spend time with family, including eight grandchildren.
Sheriff Richard Nugent, who has been working with Hensley since 1984, has high praise for his chief deputy and friend.
"He's a great right-hand guy," Nugent said.

This makes my day! Good bye, good old boy! Take Nugent with you!!!!

07-23-2009, 12:54 PM
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/article1020806.ece

In his earliest days with the Hernando County Sheriff's Office, Michael Hensley worked criminal cases from the second floor of a former sheriff's home that had been converted into department headquarters.

Hensley was one of two detectives on the small force. He stored information on index cards, not computers. And he lived in an almost entirely rural county of about 55,000 people.

Obviously, times have changed.

"We've come a long way here," said Hensley, now chief deputy of the Sheriff's Office. "I have a unique reference point in that way. This was all open country."

After helping to usher in a number of those changes at the Sheriff's Office over the past 27 years, Hensley has decided to make one in his own life: retirement.

Hensley, 58, will finish out the week and then use accrued vacation and comp time for August. He will officially step down on Sept. 1.

Sheriff Richard Nugent said he will announce a number of changes and moves, possibly including Hensley's successor, within the department Friday.

But the focus at the agency on Wednesday was Hensley, who started at the Sheriff's Office in 1982 after a one-year break in a law enforcement career that started with the St. Petersburg Police Department in 1973. The department threw a retirement party for Hensley at the office that included gifts, lasagna and cake, and a video tribute.

Nugent said the departure of Hensley signals the end of one era at the Sheriff's Office and perhaps the start of a new one.

"There's going to be a big void here," said Nugent, who started at the agency in 1984. "He's always been my right-hand guy."

Hensley was hired by former Sheriff Melvin Kelly, but flourished under the leadership of former Sheriff Tom Mylander. With Mylander at the helm, the Sheriff's Office moved into new offices, changed its organizational structure and began to modernize operations.

"Law enforcement was thrust into the modern age with Sheriff Mylander," said Bob Martinez, publisher of Old Brooksville in Photos & Stories. "You could tell the change was in the air. The old guard was a thing of the past."

Hensley, who had experience in the much larger St. Petersburg Police Department, was an important part of that change.

But Mylander said he initially demoted Hensley because the department lacked a pay scale and that he needed to start from "ground zero." Hensley shook off the move and quickly rose through the ranks alongside Nugent.

Hensley "didn't complain, worked hard and buckled down," Mylander said. "He and Rich Nugent … those two were at the top. It was simply a matter of who wanted to be next to run the agency."

Nugent jokes that he and Hensley drew straws to see who would run for sheriff and he lost.

Until recently, Hensley had been thought to be one of the potential successors to Nugent. But Hensley said he started thinking about retirement five years ago, entering the state's Deferred Retirement Option Program, called DROP.

Hensley said he and his wife, Shirley, who have three grown children and eight grandchildren, plan to ramble around the country in their new travel trailer. After that, Hensley said, he isn't sure what comes next.

He wouldn't discount a return to law enforcement.

"I don't know … I've never retired before," he said. "I'm open-minded. But I know I'm going to miss it."

07-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Watch him run for Sheriff! Hahahahaha!!

07-25-2009, 03:03 AM
Watch him run for Sheriff! Hahahahaha!!
:snicker: :cop: :lol: :twisted: