PDA

View Full Version : We need more Traffic Units!

07-07-2009, 11:41 AM
I know we have a regular Traffic Unit and three K9 units that mostly do traffic, and I know we have a "summertime traffic unit" (SRO's), and I know we now have a "Day Shift Patrol Traffic Unit" that writes tickets and may back up the "regular law enforcement" units, and I know we also have the weekly traffic detail conducted by all Day Shift law enforcement units, but somehow this all isn't enough....we need more. I don't think motorists are safe enough as they pass through our city.

Day Shift has one officer per zone on most days and sometimes an OT officer is called in just to get that covered. I say we change minimum staffing of 3 working shift units and create two more traffic units. Screw the zone officers and hooey to the homeowners, more traffic!

We have five supervisors, 4-5 traffic units and 5 zone units......that is good but it should be five supervisors, 6-7 traffic units and 3 zone units....cuz lets face it, enforcing the law and investigating crime is someone else's problem! I don't care that I haven't had a X58 in two weeks as long as the supervisors and traffic units of all types are well fed and hydrated.

To all the Admin staff, all six of you, traffic is the key to all of our budgetary and service woes. I hope those grants come in so more of your friends don't have to work anymore and we can remain more top heavy than Chesty Larue. I want everyone that gets one, to enjoy their lunches and I hope this whining doesn't interfere with the enjoyment of your meals...some of us will just lick the fingerprint dust off of our limbs nourishment.

PS, I know my morale doesn't matter and I am lucky to have a job, I know I can go somewhere else if I don't like it, or if I want to be part of a serious and effective law enforcement organization. I know I also don't speak for everyone, especially the traffic and supervisory personnel, who are the majority.

07-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Oh brother.... Seriously, find your happy place.... oh, and your work ethic...

07-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Yeah I'm a dirt ball, and I do need a better work "ethic", although stat wise and calls taken-wise, doing great, but I do need better "words over deeds" "style over substance" because that is what is important, I should just keep clearing buildings and going to calls x99 and be happy. Again, I didn't mean to spoil anyone's meal or rest break with my unhappy place, your right, caring about law enforcement as a cop is crazy, thanks for profound reality slap.

Maybe we can set this aside out of respect for 449 for now and pick it later.

07-08-2009, 05:50 AM
Good call...

07-14-2009, 11:03 PM
As a citizen of Pinellas Park I am concerned that I haven't seen the motorcycles in quite a while. Did they get sacked by the budget cuts or did they just not work out?

07-15-2009, 12:36 AM
Gone....

07-15-2009, 12:52 AM
i think they got replaced by 2 more horses for our posse. what a joke, we got no money for our real officers , but we piss away countless dollars and work hours on a couple of people who want to work on thier hobby, during work hours.

07-15-2009, 01:04 AM
I like the horses, the more options for us, the better.

I hate to see the motors go. Again, the more options, the better.

07-16-2009, 05:09 AM
If you like having horses instead of officers, equipment, or raises, then get a horse and join the posse. we will give you a trailer, money for supplies, and plenty of time away from actually taking calls. you can do horse demos for other counties and enter really fun horse riding contests, all at the expense of our pd budget, our taxpayers, and your fellow officers who are taking your calls. sounds great, but dont you think the money the city spends on the "posse" could go towards other things that would benefit all the officers and citizens? not a hater of horses, just food for thought

07-16-2009, 01:26 PM
To "Parker", our motorcycles worked out awesome, and there is no logical reason that they should not return one day. The problem is a severe lack of forward thinking and certain people with decision making ability who did not like/want/support them. For being only two officers, we had a very productive and respected motor unit that made this agency look good. It is a loss for all, especially you, the citizens!

07-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Actually while I liked the motorcycles....They wrote less tickets than their counterparts who drove cars.... They had to attend special monthly training because apparently riding a motorcycle is not like riding a bicycle..... One of the other reasons it is gone is one of the former motor officers had a near death experience which brought reality to the point that motorcycles in Pinellas County aren't really safe...

07-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Actually while I liked the motorcycles....They wrote less tickets than their counterparts who drove cars.... They had to attend special monthly training because apparently riding a motorcycle is not like riding a bicycle..... One of the other reasons it is gone is one of the former motor officers had a near death experience which brought reality to the point that motorcycles in Pinellas County aren't really safe...

Spoken like a true "know it all." Too bad, like most on this board, you know nothing about the subject at hand. Wanna B made no mention about the number of tickets being written. The unit was described as "productive." That is the problem with this agency, most of you have been conditioned to believe that an officer is only productive or valuable if he or she is writing tickets. Easy to see how that can happen in an agency this size. You are obviously not aware of the Special Ops Czar's management style. There are no "motor units" or "traffic units" or "DUI units." They are too busy doing all of the extra special detials to actually do their intended job. All special ops officers are assigned a myriad of other assignments that, believe it or not, really do not involve writing tickets. That is just how it is in a small agency.

07-18-2009, 02:56 PM
[quote="Guest"]Actually while I liked the motorcycles....They wrote less tickets than their counterparts who drove cars.... They had to attend special monthly training because apparently riding a motorcycle is not like riding a bicycle..... One of the other reasons it is gone is one of the former motor officers had a near death experience which brought reality to the point that motorcycles in Pinellas County aren't really safe...[/qu

Your statement about citations is incorrect. All stats are on file. Compare motor unit stats (including LOST HOURS) and get back with me. But, you know you won't.

07-19-2009, 06:51 PM
The motors and officers were very effective for enforcement and for interaction with the public. The traffic officers are productive too.
But they have to be left alone to do their jobs.
The supervisor has got to do his jobs and leave the traffic units to do theirs, traffic enforcement . It is difficult for any of this to be accomplished with an administration who has let the wheels fly off this agency and they have no idea how to put the wheels back on. the chief needs to return to running her agency instead of running for president of the IAPC aasn. Maybe unload some ineffective administrators and start running the agency as if she actually cares for her troops and get some administrators that put the troops first as well and as it should be. The troops are the meat and potatos of any agency and if you do not show them they come first you lose more than respect, you lose man power and morale amoong many other things.

07-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Very true many members of the Adm. form opinions before they get the ALL the facts. Amazing how they all came from patrol at one point, yet the fail to remember were there roots are.

07-20-2009, 01:34 AM
Here is the truth about Admin:

Bad:

1. They rush decisions that shouldn't be rushed and then later have to back pedal, ex: "No more extensions and we need to eliminate some special positions to fill the road" They did that then had to fill some of those back up even though things are tighter now than when they made that rash decision. There many examples of things like this.

2. They drag their feet with other issues that are simple. They committee or delegate things they shouldn't. Good ideas get presented, people do alot of work on them and then.....they just never follow through, there is no follow through at the top, certain SGT's and LT's are the ones who get things implemented.

3. They are blinded by the ladies. They have a hard time seeing the wickedness of some they choose to keep close. They kowtow out of fear and enchantment. Do we need a professional standards person these days? Couldn't the Admin SGT do that?

4. They look out for their own. They certainly know the Admin does not need to be this large, but what is the chief to do? recommend they let go of c3 or c2?

5. They worry too much about what other agencies are doing and then try to mimic them. We have always done things differently and quite frankly innovatively, and that is going away. Why keep us if we are just a smaller lamer version of the SO or CPD?

6. They worry too much about "customer service" and kissing the butt of the individual. While we are oiling the squeaky wheel, several other quiet hard-working wheels are being short changed. We should focus on "public service", working on issues, doing the most good for the most people.

7. They are flying blind. There is no crime analysis, no clue who is doing where in our city. What other agencies are working in our city (they don't bother telling us much anymore), what criminals are moving here, what unseen forces are motivating our major crime? We rely soley on what is shared verbally and what is saved in the mental recollection of our officers. This issue has never been rectified despite several embarrassments and close calls.

8. They don't stand up to the City. When it comes to us begging for a living wage will the Chief speak up and say "my people work hard and deserve a raise" ?....no. They will not stand up to MIS, the weakest link in the service chain. They are in fear of being let go or us being taken over by the Sheriff. It is much easier to keep quiet and collect the $100k. You don't get to be that high up without keeping quiet.

Good:

1. The Admin are nice people and good people at heart.

2. They dish out fair justice.

07-20-2009, 10:13 PM
exactly they are busy with their own lives and not the lives of those that work the road.

07-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Go to bed Lord Dung Beatle and you can thank your mentally ill friend (you know the one that talks like shes in preschool to her other personality) for the fear against women in this place! YOU are crazy with your Return of the Jedi sweaters and hello kitty belongings. Go to PEHMS where they can use your skills to talk with the others. YOU are bitter and your gaggle of girlfriends need to leave. The problem is you are so bizarre that they will never accept you anywhere else!

07-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Dang Trixie, why r u slamming happy people and people not here? I heard you are the one that failed the psych test when you tried to leave here....and talk about BITTER?.....you have nothing nice to stay about anyone.....but you keep keepin on guessing and naming who that was and drivin yo bus on innocent people...jus like work.

08-09-2009, 11:47 AM
More cars in the Park then crime,pull from patrol and double the Traffic Unit