PDA

View Full Version : Family moving to Sarasota

07-04-2009, 08:42 PM
I am a fellow officer in Miami Dade County. My daughter and family are moving to the Sarasota area in late July. My granddaughter will be attend the 3rd grade and my grandson will be in kindergaten.

Could you please give me some ideas of good neighborhoods and good schools in the Sarasota or surrounding areas?

Thank you..

07-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Yes. I would recommend anything out in the Tatum Ridge Elementary area. It is a new school of approx 3 years, good principal, etc. The homes around the area are pretty diverse from middle (Porter Road area) more pricey across from the school.

If living in the City of Sarasota, Southside Elementary, although an older school has a good diverse population with students from working class to doctor's kids. Good reputation.

Bay Haven is a charter school and has a very good reputation. You have to apply there and there is sometimes a waiting list. It is also in the City of Sarasota.

If moving anywhere in south sarasota, you are fine. Look around Proctor Road and you will find mulitple neighborhoods and haven't heard anything neg about any of the schools from there to Venice, FL.

Stay away from North Sarasota, Gillespie Park, etc since you are not familiar with Sarasota, as it gets tricky with good neighborhoods and high crime areas next door to each other.

Good Luck.