PDA

View Full Version : Looking for... (any advice?)

cggodwin
06-23-2009, 07:43 PM
a job in law enforcement. It may seem low, but I'm looking for the best way to get into the department... expenses paid. Whether it be a Correctional Officer, Police Officer, or FHP, I don't really care. I've been looking into the idea for a while, but can't seem to find a way to have my training/classes/etc. paid for. I've heard about programs (TEA???) that will do this, but have not found any facility that offers it. I looked a year ago at the prison in Milton, Milton P.D., and Pensacola P.D. This may be a long shot, but I'm running out of ideas, so any leads would be appreciated. Thanks...

if you'd rather email me, that may be easier... calebggodwin@gmail.com

06-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Let me get this straight. You want an "all expenses paid" ticket to the academy? In a dream world or in an agency in another states, maybe, but we are in the state where an idiot governor and millions of voters decided that law enforcement wasn't not needed. What they got in return is a savings of $100 a year in their taxes. I'm talking about amendment 1. Add to that a board of county commissioners who would rather pad the pockets and make a local entrepreneur $3,000,000.00 richer by purchasing his land for a future industrial park when we already have two and one is nearly dead. Asking for money from the county commissioners will most likely get a thumbs down. We don’t get new cars anymore. Instead they take old cars and repaint them. As far as the sheriffs office is concerned, it is doubtful any funds will be allocated to putting you through an “all expenses paid” deal with an academy. We tried that once and it ended in total failure. The trainee turned out to be a liability to the department. No dice. What you need to do is if you really want to be a cop, I really wanted to be one at one time and enjoy my work, go to one of the local academies and inquire about grants, etc. All expense paid? Uh….no

06-23-2009, 11:02 PM
I almost forgot...DUH

06-24-2009, 12:18 PM
I was hoping that Sheriff Hall would give me a $25.00 raise, an hour! I would like a brand new cruiser, a Charger with a Hemi, and a radar unit and all the bells and whistles. A two week vaction where I can get an all expenses paid trip to Bahamas. Look chico if I dont get that you no get your all expenses paid academy. Comprende?

06-25-2009, 12:10 AM
Guys, easy on the poster. He's probably from the recent generation "X", eXpect everything to be given to them. If you, poster, want to get into a career, do like anyone else who is serious and committed, get the education, academy, college, diploma, whatever, then apply. Give a department a reason to want to hire you, not an additional expense to hire you. With Amendment 1, the field is more competitive than ever, you have no chance of an all expenses paid job in law enforcement or education.

06-27-2009, 10:19 AM
I'll try and help since everyone else wants to be a douche nozzle for some reason. Check with the ESCAROSA Center in Escambia and ask them about WIA program. They pay you so many dollars a day (basically gas/daycare assistance during academy). If you have a Montgomery GI Bill accessible to you by either your prior service or a parent, you can use the benefits during the academy. I'm not sure if PELL grant will touch it. Doubt it. My advice to you if you can't fund through the aformentioned options...get either a student or personal loan. It's night classes so you don't HAVE to get picked up at an agency to get paid as you go through. Just work during the day. Chances are, no one will hire you during your academy venture anyway...times have changed. Get a loan or save up. It's not some 10k venture...it's just over 1200 or something I believe unless it's been revamped...again. If it's worth it to you, sell your flat screen and PS3 and go buy some academy time. If not, find another job. No one is passing our "rides" anymore.

Of course you can always go join FHP and get laughed at. Your choice.