PDA

View Full Version : getting into law enforcment

06-18-2009, 02:23 AM
I just had a general question about becoming law enforcment.

Im currently enrolled in pjc right now for criminal justice and here are my questions:

1. Do you have to hold an AA degree in Criminal Justice to become a cop?

2. Do you guys allow anyone with a felony or multiple felonies?

About the second question, I asked two escambia county deputies about the felonies at the fair last year and they said as long as the felony wasnt drug related or sex related.

I also called them and the lady said they do it on a case by case basis.

I was charged with grand theft and burglary when I was 17 but was charged as an adult. I went through a pre-trial intervention program, never served jail time.

I am now 22, married with a son. I havent been arrested since. My driving record is clean and I dont do any drugs. Would I still have a chance at law enforcement?

06-19-2009, 10:14 PM
If you want the best possible answer, call and talk to the personnel or training department for the agencies you want to work for. They can give you the exact criteria that they are looking for.

06-19-2009, 10:15 PM
If you want the best possible answer, call and talk to the personnel or training department for the agencies you want to work for. They can give you the exact criteria that they are looking for.
One department might allow past discrepancies that another department might not.

06-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Im talking about here. Locally. Im from Pensacola. Arnt you guys PPD?

06-20-2009, 02:19 AM
Im talking about here. Locally. Im from Pensacola. Arnt you guys PPD?
Yes we are, but you have several agencies in the area you can talk to.

06-23-2009, 02:34 AM
I would say you have a much better chance at Escambia County then PPD. Nothing personal, you might be perfect for the job but we have a higher standard then they do and I dont know what our training department will tell you.

07-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Good luck with the City. I would suggest still applying with us. Some try to say that we are held to a higher standard but its not the case. Kramer blatantly lied on a DUI and got a slap on the wrist. Jones... well she's just a screw up. Lied multiple times during an investigation and in and I.A. But then again, she's a girl. Same with Smith, She should have been let go a long time ago for a poor work ethic, but then again she knows how to keep her male supervisors happy. The Hollier than thou attitidue is a real turn off, but you will find a lot of good people working for us as well.

10-07-2009, 08:59 PM
As someone who has worked for both agencies before I went to Law School, the higher standard BS is just something PPD tries to drill into their rookies and it apparently works on some of them, pretty much the same thing as certain branches of the military indoctrinating their recruits into thinking they are the most elite branch.Truth is, there are morons and tools in both agencies, neither one is held to a higher standard, if that were true the basic educational requirement would be more than a HS diploma or GED.