PDA

View Full Version : Kids with badges

06-16-2009, 08:52 PM
How many of you think it is wise that we lowered our minimum hiring age to 19?

06-16-2009, 10:42 PM
We already have several officers that started at 19 with other agencies that came here. We turn down applicants based upon polygraphs, psychs and background. If a 19 year old can pass those then give them a shot. Whats the worst that can happen? They fail out like half of all our new officers.

06-16-2009, 10:45 PM
We already have several officers that started at 19 with other agencies that came here. We turn down applicants based upon polygraphs, psychs and background. If a 19 year old can pass those then give them a shot. Whats the worst that can happen? They fail out like half of all our new officers.

The real question is who is making the final decision to hire these folks?? We have a real high wash out rate.

06-17-2009, 02:23 AM
Not sure about 19 year olds. Think about some of the situations that could present themselves to these kids. Are they ready? I hope so.

The military prepares young minds to be obedient.....how is Pines going to do?

06-17-2009, 01:42 PM

There are very many things that can happen that are a lot worse than getting fired. I guess that you are one of those young guys that came from another agency. I am making that assumption because most adults past a certain age would agree that a 19 year old (or even a 21 year old) does not have the wisdon, development, maturity and life experience to responsibly possess the authority given to us.

This is not a knock on you or any of the young guys. We were all there, and we all thought we were ready for anything then. Just wait about a decade and then you'll see what I mean.

06-17-2009, 05:02 PM
You can't group all 19 yo as not having any life experience. I was in the Police Academy wiith a young man 19 yoa who was a Marine and had already served a tour in Iraq. He had more experience in Building searches, weapons and a general alertness to danger than most of the recruits. I totally disagree with your general assumption.
Give them an opportunity to prove themselves is all i'm saying.

06-18-2009, 02:30 AM
You can't group all 19 yo as not having any life experience. I was in the Police Academy wiith a young man 19 yoa who was a Marine and had already served a tour in Iraq. He had more experience in Building searches, weapons and a general alertness to danger than most of the recruits. I totally disagree with your general assumption.
Give them an opportunity to prove themselves is all i'm saying.

I'm sure he was very good at all of that, but this job is not only about tactics. This is similar to the debate about whether high school basketball stars are ready to go straight into the NBA and earn millions of dollars. Nobody is questioning their physical readiness. Their bodies are ready, and physical skills are there. This debate is about the intangibles. The day to day decision making. The ability to put things into perspective. Along with age comes greater understanding.

Would you feel comfortable handing over the keys to your new Corvette to a 16 year old kid? Why?

06-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Who cares what age they are as long as they continuously work hard and get bad guys off the streets? I don't really care how old they are. Our track record for the past decade has been terrible. Most start out looking awesome, and then turn into complete slugs when they pass probation. A large majority of these newbees were thrown into a shift full of slugs. This slugism is very contagious. They see Officers doing next to nothing, or they feel pressured into doing nothing by senior Officer's complaining about all of their traffic stops that they have to respond to as a backup. Who wants to pi$$ off someone they respect and has been here a lot longer?
We might be 15-20 Officers short on the road but the best remedy for that would be to hire 5-10 real go-getters. An even better remedy would be to remove the senior slugs and replace them with cheaper, enthusiastic Officers.

09-21-2009, 12:21 AM
We hire ferrets. What's wrong with 19 years olds?

09-23-2009, 03:30 AM
We hire ferrets. What's wrong with 19 years olds?

Hiring a 19 year old may lead to more lawsuits for a longer period of time since most are filled with testosterone and adrenelin. I wouldn't disagree with hiring a female at 19, but us males tend to be very aggressive at this age. Some men continue being aggressive well into their thirties and early fourties. This is plainly visible by the few that like to have their sleeves tailored, arms tattooed, and develop a walk like they are the biggest @ss kickers on the planet.
These few usually have a Sergeant or two in their back pocket, which is the only reason why they lasted here as long as they have.

09-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Hiring a 19 year old may lead to more lawsuits for a longer period of time since most are filled with testosterone and adrenelin. I wouldn't disagree with hiring a female at 19, but us males tend to be very aggressive at this age. Some men continue being aggressive well into their thirties and early fourties. This is plainly visible by the few that like to have their sleeves tailored, arms tattooed, and develop a walk like they are the biggest @ss kickers on the planet.
These few usually have a Sergeant or two in their back pocket, which is the only reason why they lasted here as long as they have.

Good post. But you forgot to mention the unnatural Clint Eastwood voice.

09-30-2009, 02:42 AM
And to think J G used to be a good guy. Steroids ruined him.

09-30-2009, 06:06 PM
No, loss of perspective and cronyism ruined him.

09-30-2009, 07:25 PM

You're gonna have to be a bit more specific. I can think of 4 guys with those initials.

10-01-2009, 10:34 AM

You're gonna have to be a bit more specific. I can think of 4 guys with those initials.

man I hope you're not talking about the dayshift sgt by those initials. He is one of the only ones left who actually cares more about his guys and this job than his own self interests. cant be him, tho, he dont look like hes ever been on roids!!!

10-01-2009, 12:31 PM

man I hope you're not talking about the dayshift sgt by those initials. He is one of the only ones left who actually cares more about his guys and this job than his own self interests. cant be him, tho, he dont look like hes ever been on roids!!!

He only cares about other his guys and the job because he doesn't want anything right now.

10-01-2009, 12:40 PM
If you have an opinion about JG you should go up and talk to him about it, he would also say what he thinks about you to your face even if it was in front of the chief. Face it, He's is one of if not the best sargeant around. If you don't like him don't go bravo.

10-01-2009, 03:44 PM
If you have an opinion about JG you should go up and talk to him about it, he would also say what he thinks about you to your face even if it was in front of the chief. Face it, He's is one of if not the best sargeant around. If you don't like him don't go bravo.

You were obviously not here when he was jockeying for Training and the Cut and Paste Unit. Telling what you think about someone in front of a superior is not the sign of someone that looks out for others. It is completely self serving. Get his nu#@ out your mouth and look at his badge. Sergeant is spelled with an "E".

10-02-2009, 12:13 AM
WOW.... and to think you guys were worried about a couple of 19 year olds being a problem for this department. In my opinion you have a few bigger fish to fry then some pre-teen's with guns. In fact I have a feeling they will work harder and make better cops then you fu*k faces. It's amazing how one can walk away from 25 years of his life and never regret it, this place has gone to sh@t from the top down. I can't wait until you are answering to one of those "testosterone filled" boys and going to them to get your pc's signed! Good luck, I would say stay safe but I don't think starbucks is all that dangerous....

10-02-2009, 09:40 AM

You were obviously not here when he was jockeying for Training and the Cut and Paste Unit. Telling what you think about someone in front of a superior is not the sign of someone that looks out for others. It is completely self serving. Get his nu#@ out your mouth and look at his badge. Sergeant is spelled with an "E".

Grant, Gort, House, Shimpeno, Forseth in that order. Top five here hands down. If you wouldnt work for any of these guys your an idiot.

10-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Mod461, where are you?

A lot of name, innuendos, accusations and other message board violations on this thread. Oh, I forgot, it's only if YOU find something personally offensive.

mod 461
10-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Not seeing anything that names anyone personally...in fact, It was I that changed the initials to J G instead of the name.

10-04-2009, 07:02 PM

Grant, Gort, House, Shimpeno, Forseth in that order. Top five here hands down. If you wouldnt work for any of these guys your an idiot.

Now i agree with this guy!!

10-06-2009, 01:06 AM
Whats up with the lovers quarrel between b-shift and c-shift sgts?
:shock:

10-24-2009, 03:50 PM
was refering to the alpha shift west sider

10-26-2009, 12:29 AM
"Grant, Gort, House, Shimpeno, Forseth in that order"

Guess you missed that two lines up from your post.

10-28-2009, 05:57 AM
"Kids with badges", $hit!!! Kids with badges aren't the problem. It's the lazy veteran Officers that make 'em as bad as they are or will soon be. These "kids" look up to Officers so they see how things should be done. For the most part, they get what's needed from the F.T.O.'s we have, but once they're on their own, they find out how to skate around and avoid calls. They see that a simple injury will keep them off of the road for weeks, and that Sergeants with the velcro stripes will allow them to get away with taking off or calling in sick when man power is at a minimum without repercussions. Captains don't even care since they are too busy building themselves up in the gym, working on their college courses, trying to figure out how to remodel their house or what to eat for lunch. (O.K., Once a year they show up on a large perimeter, clog up the radio and often get in the way of others and tell them how things should be done since they've learned it in a classroom). Sorry!

It makes me sick to think that veterans would complain about the hiring of younger Officers, when you are the ones that taint them with your bad habits and complain when they aren't taking your paper calls. You complain when they do traffic stop after traffic stop right after line up, but yet you won't answer the radio when called.

Thanks to you guys, we have five year Officers (and under) acting as if they've been here 15-20 years. New Officers acting as if they're in the DROP already. WHY are they following in your footsteps? Because they see you guys getting away with it, and they do the same to Officers junior to them.

Thanks for setting the bad example, and terrible cycle. Maybe since we're hiring younger people, we'll get one or two more good years use out of them.

10-30-2009, 01:11 AM
Lets hope they choose wisely for the next two Captains. Are we going to get a couple with the balls and character to make a difference, or are we going to continue staus quo? I bet that the A/C will pick two who will not rock the boat and tell him what he wants to hear and that will be a shame.

Anyone want to throw some names out of those who would actually make a difference?
Grant is on the top of my list.

11-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Lets hope they choose wisely for the next two Captains. Are we going to get a couple with the balls and character to make a difference, or are we going to continue staus quo? I bet that the A/C will pick two who will not rock the boat and tell him what he wants to hear and that will be a shame.

Anyone want to throw some names out of those who would actually make a difference?
Grant is on the top of my list.

MY ASS TO LEATHER SCALE (MOST TIME IN AND SUCKING UP), AND LEAST COMPLAINT SCALE SAYS IT WILL BE BERMUDEZ AND SAMMARCO.