PDA

View Full Version : Layoffs

06-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Otis has the new policy he wants to put into effect about tobacco use either on or off duty, even in the privacy in your own home. I hate tobacco use but the shurf shouldnt be able to dictate what we do in our own homes when we are off duty. Savings or not its wrong! He's getting carried away with his power. Perhaps thats another excuse to fire people so he doesn’t have to lose face with the community. He's already said that if the deputies had to be laid off then the BOCC would have to do it. Once again, in his "all I care about is how I look" philosophy, he wants to pass the buck to save face. Why doesn’t he eliminate some civilians that earn twice as much as a deputy? Why do we need 3 captains and a major? Why do we need a lt in charge of HR, or a 70,000 lt in charge of fleet? If he had any balls he would take this to the governer since its was his idea to roll back property taxes. That detective going into the reserves, you need to be on your p's and q's. You joining the military may give Otis and excuse to "lay you off."

06-13-2009, 02:19 AM
This is a classic case of "I only have half the facts" type of person. You can watch the CC meeting on the internet at the County's website. The sheriff gave the CC's three or four alternative's on how to fund the department, all of which they turned down. The LEO grant that funds 33 officers for 3 years with the county picking up the 4th year was the most attractive but they refused to be obligated for anything. Or you could have gone to the FOP meeting and gotten the facts straight also. They are using the SO as a political tool to shove it down the citizens throats, you want less government, you're going to get less government, the most painful way they can get less. The sheriff is not able to collect his own taxes, the CC does that and will not fund what is needed.

The only way to comment on your statements about personnel is to tell you to wake up. We are at bare minimum to operate at a half way competent level. One comment though, the Lt is HR, if paid at a HR civilian department level salary, would be making 25 grand more than he pulls in. I do understand that anything anyone says you will dispute but it will only prove that "you can't cure stupid".

According to the FOP worst case in 33 deputies getting laid off. It is more than likely that it won't be that bad but one never knows. It was also on the front page of the PNJ today, let us see if the fine citizens of SR county lights a fire under the CC's. Good luck to all, stay safe.

06-13-2009, 03:46 AM
Guys lets not start turning on each other. He's taking a stand to lay no one off period. Let's back him!

06-13-2009, 02:21 PM
It just goes back to the "fact" that the Sheriff will not go out and talk to his people. If there is a problem, he should be straight forward with the people involved. He has refused for his entire tenure to talk to his people. So where do we have to go to talk about it without fear? Here; where we can say there piece without much fear. The Sheriff is to blame for this posting. But once again he is afraid to tell the people what is really going on.

06-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Have you thought that maybe he doesn't want to say "what's going on" until he knows "what's going on"? A bunch of officers went to the meeting before the BOCC and "heard" for themselves what the BOCC said and what Hall said. They did not rely on rumor, conjecture, and word of mouth what he said. He gave the BOCC solutions to solve "their" problem. This was just a workshop. there will be more and you can go too. what would he tell us at this point! The BOCC wants us to cut 1.5 million and Hall says no! That's it...now you've been told and know what everyone else knows! You are now educated! He has said he will appeal to the governor (not in the BOCC meeting) but don't forget so will 66 other sheriff's and the governor has already publicly stated he could care less about the counties and plans on "another" property tax next year! The sheriff and salter both agreed in the BOCC meeting that a MSTU is now on the table but that's for NEXT year. No time to do it for THIS year. If it comes down to the loss of 1.5 million then its back to the drawing boards and then it will time for Hall to "make a statement" to the troops when he has some data to give them. Now if you just want to slam Hall for other deficiencies you think he has then create a new thread on that subject matter and slam away! But don't try and get everyone on your bandwagon on layoffs before its time to do so. that is detrimental to all the guys especially the lower echelon that will be effected the most. why can't we stick together for a change!

06-13-2009, 03:03 PM
By the way Hall did say he was going to go to musters on this matter and talk with the troops about it. I think your idea is a good one and maybe he will carry it out and actually "do it". Although i don't think he will have much info to give us other than what's already been said but maybe coming from his mouth directly will do some good for the guys to hear!

06-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Otis has the new policy he wants to put into effect about tobacco use either on or off duty, even in the privacy in your own home. I hate tobacco use but the shurf shouldnt be able to dictate what we do in our own homes when we are off duty. Savings or not its wrong! He's getting carried away with his power. Perhaps thats another excuse to fire people so he doesn’t have to lose face with the community. He's already said that if the deputies had to be laid off then the BOCC would have to do it. Once again, in his "all I care about is how I look" philosophy, he wants to pass the buck to save face. Why doesn’t he eliminate some civilians that earn twice as much as a deputy? Why do we need 3 captains and a major? Why do we need a lt in charge of HR, or a 70,000 lt in charge of fleet? If he had any balls he would take this to the governer since its was his idea to roll back property taxes. That detective going into the reserves, you need to be on your p's and q's. You joining the military may give Otis and excuse to "lay you off."

As bad as I hate to admit it, some of the points in the post are correct. The poster is, of course, **** stick. Sheriff Hall wants to end all tobacco use by its employees, up to and including off duty in your own residence. No one will be grandfathered which means all employees to include non-sworn as well that smoke, smoke cigars, smoke pipes, chew, dip chewing snuff, dip granny snuff, will all be subject to disciplinary action if this policy is ratified and they don’t quit. The **** oogie that posted the other stuff was also right when it comes to Sheriff Hall dictating what we can or can’t do in our home. That is wrong no matter how you word it.

06-14-2009, 03:54 PM

I agree but just thought that ought to be under a new thread of "Tobacco Policy" or something like that.

As bad as I hate to admit it, some of the points in the post are correct. The poster is, of course, fazugie stick. Sheriff Hall wants to end all tobacco use by its employees, up to and including off duty in your own residence. No one will be grandfathered which means all employees to include non-sworn as well that smoke, smoke cigars, smoke pipes, chew, dip chewing snuff, dip granny snuff, will all be subject to disciplinary action if this policy is ratified and they don’t quit. The fazugie oogie that posted the other stuff was also right when it comes to Sheriff Hall dictating what we can or can’t do in our home. That is wrong no matter how you word it.

06-14-2009, 03:55 PM
I agree but just thought that ought to be under a new thread of "Tobacco Policy" or something like that.

06-14-2009, 07:54 PM

http://www.afunnystuff.com/forumpics/you_win_the_prize.jpg

06-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Have you thought that maybe he doesn't want to say "what's going on" until he knows "what's going on"? A bunch of officers went to the meeting before the BOCC and "heard" for themselves what the BOCC said and what Hall said. They did not rely on rumor, conjecture, and word of mouth what he said. He gave the BOCC solutions to solve "their" problem. This was just a workshop. there will be more and you can go too. what would he tell us at this point! The BOCC wants us to cut 1.5 million and Hall says no! That's it...now you've been told and know what everyone else knows! You are now educated! He has said he will appeal to the governor (not in the BOCC meeting) but don't forget so will 66 other sheriff's and the governor has already publicly stated he could care less about the counties and plans on "another" property tax next year! The sheriff and salter both agreed in the BOCC meeting that a MSTU is now on the table but that's for NEXT year. No time to do it for THIS year. If it comes down to the loss of 1.5 million then its back to the drawing boards and then it will time for Hall to "make a statement" to the troops when he has some data to give them. Now if you just want to slam Hall for other deficiencies you think he has then create a new thread on that subject matter and slam away! But don't try and get everyone on your bandwagon on layoffs before its time to do so. that is detrimental to all the guys especially the lower echelon that will be effected the most. why can't we stick together for a change!
When was he last itme Hall came out to talk issues that Deputies care about? Answer; Twice I can remember in the past 8+ years. At that rate, we are up for another talk in about 3-4 years from now. He does not care about his people. That is a fact.

06-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Well right now, this is all theory and talk. There are very little facts being put forth to warrant any kind of speculation at this point. The Sheriff informed the BOCC IF they go forward with a 5% cut of his budget he'll be forced to possibly laying off 33 Deputies. KEY WORD: "IF". None of this has taken place (and most likely will not), at this point it sounds like the Sheriff is posturing to the BOCC and putting the political monkey on their backs. And we are caught in between....gee sound familar?

The only thing I want from the Sheriff is a meeting with all the troops (at muster or whereever) to discuss and lay it all out on the line for us to know what is going on with the budget and how we can help. I mean it's OUR job on the line after all.

And who knows maybe FOP will do something and we'll all be surprised.

06-16-2009, 08:53 PM
The sheriff has stated at two different Lt. meetings that he fully intends on meeting with each district to tell the guys what is going on and answer any questions. Let him get thru this and give him a chance.

06-17-2009, 02:27 AM
Well, why doesn't he just go on out and do some talkin; or he could just e-mail everybody with the real scoop. Nope, he can't be pinned to one position or a real decision. Thats his stance, he can't stand in front of his own people and talk the truth. Too much the politician. If he were a good Sheriff, he would talk to his people on a regular basis. Oh, and I did say "IF". No wonder he was only a Sgt at Escambia.

06-18-2009, 07:58 PM
As a long time citizen of Santa Rosa County, I have witnessed the lack of judgment from many sheriffs to include Wendell Hall. It was known a long time ago that he had way too many deputies for this county. Now he will have to lay some off and I say so be it. We have too many deputies running the roads with nothing to do, except to sit under an oak tree or eat at the waffle house. I'm tired of my tax dollars being wasted with high gas prices not to mention the salary of deputies who do nothing but waste the gas. If Hall did the right thing he would quit letting deputies drive the cars home plus lay off 20-30 and spend my tax money wisely he would have vote from me. I'm not concerned about letting some deputies go. I'm concerned that I have to spend my tax dollars to give law enforcment a free ride.

06-19-2009, 01:47 AM
As a long time citizen of Santa Rosa County, I have witnessed the lack of judgment from many sheriffs to include Wendell Hall. It was known a long time ago that he had way too many deputies for this county. Now he will have to lay some off and I say so be it. We have too many deputies running the roads with nothing to do, except to sit under an oak tree or eat at the waffle house. I'm tired of my tax dollars being wasted with high gas prices not to mention the salary of deputies who do nothing but waste the gas. If Hall did the right thing he would quit letting deputies drive the cars home plus lay off 20-30 and spend my tax money wisely he would have vote from me. I'm not concerned about letting some deputies go. I'm concerned that I have to spend my tax dollars to give law enforcment a free ride.

Why don't you get back with us when you get your civil rights back!

06-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Next time you need law enforcement assistance tell dispatch you are willing to wait 20-30 minutes. Same thing with medical and fire. You seem to be educated, but are really stupid.

06-19-2009, 06:51 PM

Some of the boys will be glad to GIVE YOU a free ride if you want!

06-19-2009, 11:46 PM
You live in a trailer.... excuse me, a mobile home. You don't pay property taxes. Have another beer and go back to beating your dogs.

06-21-2009, 01:06 AM

I've got a deal for you, look at your last years property tax bill find the amount that went to the Sheriff's Office, I will personally give you every penny back if you promise to shut up.

07-01-2009, 12:27 PM

Obviously you have NO idea what actually occurrs in this county and you obviously have NO common sense! We only have roughly 120 Deputies (if that) covering all of Santa Rosa County. The rest of them are Admin. Of those 120, the 30 that would be cut would be any Deputies hired within the last 4 years. Which have been some of the MOST productive Deputies on the road in Santa Rosa County in quite some time. So laying off 30 Deputies would be a GREAT idea. Yeah, lets fire half the guys that are writting citations and putting criminals in jail. Just think of it this way, next time somone decides their gonna kick your @$$, call a county commissioner to come save you, because we don't have enough Deputies to take all the calls. Do us all a favor and save some money on your electic bill by NOT using your computer, idiot!

07-01-2009, 12:46 PM

Obviously you have NO idea what actually occurrs in this county and you obviously have NO common sense! We only have roughly 120 Deputies (if that) covering all of Santa Rosa County. The rest of them are Admin. Of those 120, the 30 that would be cut would be any Deputies hired within the last 4 years. Which have been some of the MOST productive Deputies on the road in Santa Rosa County in quite some time. So laying off 30 Deputies would be a GREAT idea. Yeah, lets fire half the guys that are writting citations and putting criminals in jail. Just think of it this way, next time somone decides their gonna kick your @$$, call a county commissioner to come save you, because we don't have enough Deputies to take all the calls. Do us all a favor and save some money on your electic bill by NOT using your computer, idiot!

Obviously you are one of the possible 30. Whoever you are you write like a woman.
Do you think you may be a little biased in saying that you are from a group of the MOST productive deputies in quite some time?
Someone would love to call you out to that issue, including the fact that we have had some of the WORST trained deputies during that time. Guess who trained them? On avereave by deputies who were hired in the last five years!

07-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Not in the top thirty. Do you even work here?

07-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Can you name any of these "worst trained deputies" your bashing about?

07-01-2009, 11:54 PM
I think we're all getting off track of what started this conversation in the first place aren't we?