PDA

View Full Version : Hiring

06-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Just recently applied to LCSO and just wanted to know a couple of things. How's the hiring process like ? How long does it usually take ? How long is FTO & do u get a take home after FTO?

Thanks for any replies....

06-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Anybody with any type of info would be great. I'm from Miami and don't know very much about this dept and would like to know the pros and cons. The LCSO website is vague and there recruitment video wont play on there website..

06-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Dam tough thread.. Ok where are the nice places to live in Lee County?

06-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Do yourself a favor, bud, go work for the cape. You're at the mercy of the sheriff there, and to put things mildly things are not too great right now. They haven't seen a raise in three years. There no progressive discipline and you would eventually get fired for the smallest infraction.

blogger
06-03-2009, 01:58 AM
Anybody with any type of info would be great. I'm from Miami and don't know very much about this dept and would like to know the pros and cons. The LCSO website is vague and there recruitment video wont play on there website..

What is there to know. The grass is not always greener/but sometimes it is. It is a sheriff's office with approx. 1500 employees. We have all kinds of benefits including full medical, vision and dental for you and your family, along with 3 - 4- or 5 weeks of vacation (depending on your time), 2 weeks sick and 1 week of personal. There are 6 districts. You usually get a take home car during FTO. If you are an instate transplant the FTO process is about 26 training days. We have a state of the art gun range and training facility. Plenty of opportunity to move around but not necessarily upward mobility.

Area is no different than anywhere. Good, bad and in the middle.

Same problems every agency has... What else do you want to know.
What area are you planning on moving to?

06-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Just don't let Cootware do your polygraph.

06-04-2009, 03:44 AM
whats up with cootware?

06-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Thought we were on a hiring freeze?

Hiring more and more folks and still no raise for the ones that have been here laying it out on the line? What gives?

06-05-2009, 04:58 AM

What is there to know. The grass is not always greener/but sometimes it is. It is a sheriff's office with approx. 1500 employees. We have all kinds of benefits including full medical, vision and dental for you and your family, along with 3 - 4- or 5 weeks of vacation (depending on your time), 2 weeks sick and 1 week of personal. There are 6 districts. You usually get a take home car during FTO. If you are an instate transplant the FTO process is about 26 training days. We have a state of the art gun range and training facility. Plenty of opportunity to move around but not necessarily upward mobility.

Area is no different than anywhere. Good, bad and in the middle.

Same problems every agency has... What else do you want to know.
What area are you planning on moving to?

Most of the district substations are in strip malls (yeah, that's right. in strip malls)

No overtime once you make sergeant

No overtime on holidays

No shift bids. they just put you wherever they want on whatever shift they want.

Very little back up because we run four to six deputies PER DISTRICT on any given shift. Each district is larger, landwise, than most cities.

Lots of rats. If you want to work in a place where you can't count on your fellow deputies to get your back, come on down!

Poor / nonexistent leadership. Everyone is so afraid of offending one of the sheriffs friends that nothing ever gets done, except putting guys in IA's and getting them fired. They always seem to find the leadership needed to do that.

A sergeants promotion list that means nothing. they promote from anywhere on the list. sometimes they promote people who arent even on the list!

Detectives promotion list. See above.

No raises for the past three years. that is except for the sheriff. he gets his raise every year. oh, and the attorneys of course.

Plenty of opportunity to move around. if you work well on your knees or on all fours.

06-05-2009, 11:57 PM
too true well put, but did you sign the blue card?

06-06-2009, 06:13 AM
Could I ask one small favor? Irregardless of what side of the union debate your on could you please NOT mention the "state of the art gun range", the "state of the art training facility" and the "state of the art aviation facility". Guess what? No body gives a shit.

If having a state of the art gun range makes you feel better about not getting a raise, then you are misguided and probably mentally handicapped. If driving an 2008 or 2009 police car makes you feel better about not being able to afford a 2008 or 2009 POV for yourself (because you haven't had a raise in years), then you are definitely mental. Or a hopeless sap with a hero complex who has no real home life outside of work.

Personally, I'd rather drive my 2004 Crown Vic to the Hendry Range and have a new BMW in my driveway!

06-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Driving 2004 crown vic everyday is a liability waiting to happen. Fleet's budget should not be cut. They do a great job!

06-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Driving 2004 crown vic everyday is a liability waiting to happen. Fleet's budget should not be cut. They do a great job!

Please explain the liability issues to us, genius. I can't wait to hear this one.

06-07-2009, 07:05 AM
This place if chock full of rats.
We used to have strong, solid leadership. Then the rats came in and removed the good this department had. People like the ferrantes got fired. a rat did them in. Bushong got fired. A rat got him (but Bushong somehow finagled his way back in).
Rats get promoted for diming out others. There are a lot of liars, but the liars have dirt on the admin, so they get to keep their cushy training jobs.
Most of the deputies are your average highschool grads. Their education and chronic Copenhagen breath says it all.
If I were you, look somewhere else. At least until that crooked tyrant Mike Scott is gone.

06-08-2009, 03:07 AM

Please explain the liability issues to us, genius. I can't wait to hear this one.
Have you ever driven above 70 in a fleet spare?
We spend way too much time in our cars to drive old beat up cruisers.

06-08-2009, 05:50 AM
Anybody know how I can set up a ride-along for this week? since I'll be driving up I thought i take advantage of doing one. I called one of the districts and they weren't very helpful any insight would be helpful..

06-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Anybody know how I can set up a ride-along for this week? since I'll be driving up I thought i take advantage of doing one. I called one of the districts and they weren't very helpful any insight would be helpful..

First, you have to pass by the Alva Market and make a contribution to Mike Scott's next campaign. Then you must go to our state of the art trainng facility and fawn over the captain and the lieutenant. Make sure you tell them how impressed you are with SWAT guys and how you're not sure if you could ever make the grade and become a SWAT officer. From there, go to the Dive Locker and tell the Dive Team guys how absolutely amazed you are at how super impressed at the size of their boat and how you think they have a cool job. If you have time, go to the K-9 unit and tell them how great they are and pet the dogs. Stop by the Gang Unit office and listen to them educate you about our local gangs. That should only take them about 2 1/2 hours or so. Make sure you tell them how impressive they look in their tactical gear. Finally, pass by the Alva Market a second time and make another donation plus throw a few bucks at the United Way. After that, you sign your waiver and you'll be assigned a hand picked ass licker who will drive you around and tell you how wonderful the place is.

06-09-2009, 12:16 AM
Damn good blog there bro! If the citizenz only knew of all the wasteful spending this agency does and the units they form as a result of it. Oh wait, think we had a orange theft out in Delta Distric yesterday. Better waste $200,000 and form up a Orange Agriculture Tactical Anti-Fruit Tast Force Unit. Keep the unit going for 6 months and waste as much money as possible for Mike Scott to go public and say, "LCSO is doing a fine job battling this crime spree and need more money for the budget". Hey, why don't you just take a step back and say, "sh^t, this was an isolated incicident and did not need to spend as much as I did". Common sense should rule all right? Just another reason why this agency is so @ss backwards. Lee County needs to stop spending tax dollars on units that do not need to be formed. Having the most units in the world does not make you the best law enforcement agency. Some of your best agencies out there do it with much much less.

06-09-2009, 11:17 AM
One more suggestion would be while at the Alava Market tell the Sheriff’s friend you heard everyone is happy that Chief Farrente is gone the agency is running great now without him, this will make him very happy. Also tell him that you will be his friend and loyal to him, you are guaranteed to get hired and get whatever position you want in the agency. From that point forward all you have to do is eat lunch out there on a regular basis and provide him agency information. While working here if you come across someone you don’t like, just tell the Sheriff’s friend during lunch and he will be gone it’s pretty simple. :mrgreen:

First, you have to pass by the Alva Market and make a contribution to Mike Scott's next campaign. Then you must go to our state of the art trainng facility and fawn over the captain and the lieutenant. Make sure you tell them how impressed you are with SWAT guys and how you're not sure if you could ever make the grade and become a SWAT officer. From there, go to the Dive Locker and tell the Dive Team guys how absolutely amazed you are at how super impressed at the size of their boat and how you think they have a cool job. If you have time, go to the K-9 unit and tell them how great they are and pet the dogs. Stop by the Gang Unit office and listen to them educate you about our local gangs. That should only take them about 2 1/2 hours or so. Make sure you tell them how impressive they look in their tactical gear. Finally, pass by the Alva Market a second time and make another donation plus throw a few bucks at the United Way. After that, you sign your waiver and you'll be assigned a hand picked ass licker who will drive you around and tell you how wonderful the place is.

06-09-2009, 04:17 PM
One more suggestion would be while at the Alava Market tell the Sheriff’s friend you heard everyone is happy that Chief Farrente is gone the agency is running great now without him, this will make him very happy. Also tell him that you will be his friend and loyal to him, you are guaranteed to get hired and get whatever position you want in the agency. From that point forward all you have to do is eat lunch out there on a regular basis and provide him agency information. While working here if you come across someone you don’t like, just tell the Sheriff’s friend during lunch and he will be gone it’s pretty simple. :mrgreen:

Thank you, Lehigh. I totally forgot about telling Mike's friend in Alva that getting rid of the Ferrantes was a great thing and about eating lunch there from time to time. Potential new hire, please accept my deepest apologies for nearly putting you in a bad position by ommitting critical information.

06-10-2009, 12:05 AM
I thought yous guyz had some rules that you wern't allowed to be around known felons? does that include the sheriff too? da guy in alva is convicted. did anyone ever chek into him like i said? yous guyz are suppose to be cops right? able to detect and investigate. how bout lookn up last name Spence back in 1995 bronx beer distributor money laundring drugs attorney gettin busted as well. dis guy is suppose to be some kind of ex firefighter that got busted big time in NY.

blogger
06-10-2009, 02:52 AM
CF
Do you feel better now that you got all of that off of your chest?
Are you still looking out the window? I hear they are going to coming to see you soon?
Don't worry we miss you!

06-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Wow it sounds like you are threatening Charlie; I guess we should save this post in case something happens to him we can track down the terminal this came from. Wake up idiot, do you think Charlie is the only one who knows about the Alva Guy? It kills you to know that the ex-chief has more support than you can believe and everyone knows the Sheriff sold him out for dirty politics. :twisted:

CF
Are you still looking out the window? I hear they are going to coming to see you soon?
Don't worry we miss you!

06-10-2009, 05:59 PM
[quote="Guest"]Wow it sounds like you are threatening Charlie; I guess we should save this post in case something happens to him we can track down the terminal this came from. Wake up idiot, do you think Charlie is the only one who knows about the Alva Guy? It kills you to know that the ex-chief has more support than you can believe and everyone knows the Sheriff sold him out for dirty politics. :twisted:

Enough with all the Ferrante garbage, just move on. They're gone, although they obviously still post here quite a bit. I wish them well, they weren't as bad as portrayed, but don't kid yourself in thinking they have a huge following, just let it go.

blogger
06-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Wow it sounds like you are threatening Charlie; I guess we should save this post in case something happens to him we can track down the terminal this came from. Wake up idiot, do you think Charlie is the only one who knows about the Alva Guy? It kills you to know that the ex-chief has more support than you can believe and everyone knows the Sheriff sold him out for dirty politics. :twisted:

CF
Don't worry we miss you!
Well if this was Chuck F. I don't think he would have taken it as a threat and that is NOT how it was intended. But I guess seeing as this site has become such a slam site I
could see how you might like to read into it. I also agree this has been played out. I wish everyone well!

06-11-2009, 06:35 AM

Enough with all the Ferrante garbage, just move on. They're gone, although they obviously still post here quite a bit. I wish them well, they weren't as bad as portrayed, but don't kid yourself in thinking they have a huge following, just let it go.

Just move on? Its all garbage until it happens to one of us! To look away only enables Mike to continue to wrongfully terminate those he feels dont fit! What happend to CF should remain in the topic of disscussion until some type of change with this current administration is evident! Should we just let go of the facts that his rights were violated, or just wait until it happens to someone whos more likeable than Ferrante to demand answers? Want to put 20 yrs in and have an ending like his? So moving on will make it better? Charlies behavior was a distraction for us to look away from the real issues and the bogus termination!

06-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Listen, I don't bash the Ferrante's, but they are adults. They both quit. That's it, end of story, if you can do a better job, run for Sheriff. If not, you look obsessed by constantly stating how great the brothers were and how they were wronged. THEY QUIT THEIR JOBS. Get that through your head already.

If their was injustice done to them or you, know you Officers Bill of Rights and use it. If you don't then to bad.

And if you quit your job instead of being fired, you have no options.

So once again, move on, let it go, for your own sanity and ours.

06-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Listen, I don't bash the Ferrante's, but they are adults. They both quit. That's it, end of story, if you can do a better job, run for Sheriff. If not, you look obsessed by constantly stating how great the brothers were and how they were wronged. THEY QUIT THEIR JOBS. Get that through your head already.

If their was injustice done to them or you, know you Officers Bill of Rights and use it. If you don't then to bad.

And if you quit your job instead of being fired, you have no options.

So once again, move on, let it go, for your own sanity and ours.

How am I obsessed? I was only responding to your comment which happened to include the name Ferrante! Im not here to praise anybody,only to inform those who I feel may be effected! You feel inclined to believe they Quit and are presumed guilty because the Sheriff said so, I dont! Im entitled to an opinion and dont need you to insult and persuade me to move on and forget things that may effect me! Everyone is eloquent in his own cause!You think knowing your bill of rights is going too make any difference? Accept it, or run for Sheriff? Too bad and move on,right? You sound like a team player! :roll:

06-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Read carefully,

obsession

–verb (used with object)
1. to dominate or preoccupy the thoughts, feelings, or desires of (a person); beset, trouble, or haunt persistently or abnormally:

If you are not CF than you are obsessed with him, move on

2. to think about something unceasingly or persistently; dwell obsessively upon something.

see above;

They both quit, they both stated with their own God given lips they quit, facts.

Maybe in Bizzaro world where you live things are different. Tell me does everyone around you have a goatee? If you answer yes then congratulations because you are in fact in Bizzaro world, watch out Superman and Captain Kirk are evil.

Stop obsessing, get another job, hobby, oh and next time don't quit.

Oh, Bizzaro Batman is evil as well, I'm sure the Sheriff did him wrong and made him quit....

06-12-2009, 06:53 AM
Bizzaro world? lol! You are so corny and lame! Im sure that anybody that reads that will have trouble containing their laughter! :roll: Anyway,are you done with your phony tirades? Why cant you move on and stop trying to convince me with your semi-intelligent posts? Who made you the authority here on what we should do and think? How ironic that you chose the word Obsessed! Doesnt that word apply to you? You talk in circles and come back at me with sarcasm as a diguise to avoid the real issues! You love to generalize, providing no real facts to a complex issue! If only you had a voice in the real world! Its much easier for you to look into a computer screen than a mirror isnt it? At least you have an outlet! Anyhow, why dont you look up the word Propagandist and post its definition for me?

06-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Thank you for your kind words,

I think we are making progress, you posted a reply without mentioning any of your obsessions.

Bizzaro therapy is what you needed. I've get a word for you oh wise and omnipotent one, scrupulous;

scrupulous • \SKROO-pyuh-lus\ • adjective

1 : having moral integrity : acting in strict regard for what is considered right or proper.

Guess who it applies to? Hint, not you :P

If you would like, I can post a new word for you whenever you like. Here is a hint at your next word, try and use it in a sentence for me:

spurious • \SPYUR-ee-us\ • adjective

*2 : not genuine : false

Guess who it applies to? Bizarro you :P

06-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Ive GET a word for you???? :snicker: Corky is that you? You cant even type a proper sentence and youre posting words like youre an Ivy leauge professor! Scrupulous? LOL! Does that word apply to you? Of course it does! As does impeccable! Hmmm..(Doesnt that word sound familiar?) Anyway,with your ignorance/arrogance you create a perfect sample of how other agencys and the public percieve us! You choose to insult, and use sarcasm as a way of avoiding a debate that may shed a light on the truth! Why do you avoid the real issues and facts,resorting to word games? Im sure your views are not based on your hatred for the Ferrantes,or your personal ties/interests/loyalty to the Sheriff! :wink: Even if you knew ANYBODY was wronged you still wouldnt protest the actions in fear of losing your own job! Isnt that right MR word man? Ahh Loyalty!

06-15-2009, 10:45 AM
CF and DF you see this is what cost you your jobs, good luck in the future getting new ones,

It's over, you both quit. Everyone else has moved on, no one believes either of you(certainly not DF) were pressured into quitting. Come on DF is the most self assured, I don't need any friends, guy around. Sheriff Scott intimidated him? NO ONE BELIEVES IT!

As far as smearing the image of the LCSO on a message board,

1.You are both civilians now, you don't belong here anymore than wack job Karma, maybe go spam her website?

2.You are the ones constantly trying to bring down the LCSO, just move on men.

3. Besides what you believe, nobody is using your trademark; it is what it is, apples and apples, witty repertoire anymore, we've moved on.

4.You can only say you were wronged so many times until you sound pathetic, that time is now.

06-15-2009, 11:29 AM
I think this topic has run it's course,

Maybe start a new," what I hate about you" thread, since all objectivity is gone and now it's just who can post the most inflammatory comments.