PDA

View Full Version : Academy Sponorship Program

05-31-2009, 05:42 PM
Hello all, I am interested in the Kenneth C. Thompson Institute of Public Safety's LE day class and I have seen that the LPD offers a Sponorship Program. Question is, What are some of the requirements to get sponsored? and is it common for people who apply to get sponsored? Ive tried calling the number but I think im calling at the wrong times because I cant get ahold of anyone (or perhaps I have the wrong number). Any inight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

06-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Here is some advise good or bad. Sponsor yourself and you can apply everywhere you want. If you are lucky enough to get anyone to sponsor you, you will sign a contract that binds you to one or two years of service. If you get fired or change jobs you will be financially responsible for that. Get your academy behind you and pass the state exam. Don't sweat what few slots that LPD has. Some say that the selection process for those slots are minority driven. I have no idea if that is so or not. You will have to chew up the information and digest whatever you want. 8) :cop:

06-02-2009, 01:15 AM
I understand completly I just dont have 2700+ dollars to drop on class up front..I guess I will have to save up and go in next semester instead of this one coming up in July :|

I also just heard they froze sponsorships soo that rules that out anyways.

but thanks for the insight.

Lonewolf1
06-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Hello all, I am interested in the Kenneth C. Thompson Institute of Public Safety's LE day class and I have seen that the LPD offers a Sponorship Program. Question is, What are some of the requirements to get sponsored? and is it common for people who apply to get sponsored? Ive tried calling the number but I think im calling at the wrong times because I cant get ahold of anyone (or perhaps I have the wrong number). Any inight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

LPD has many outstanding officers, however these fine officers are led by an upper management that thrives on indecision, personal agendas, and walking across the bodies of good officers to get what they want. The senior staff is both ethically and morally corrupt and until there are some major changes in the top four positions it is not the place you would want to work.

You would have much better luck applying for larger agencies around the state and outside of Florida. LPD was once a great agency and will be again once the dead wood at the top finally goes away.

If you have your 4 year degree you might want to look at Federal LEO jobs, they are hiring like crazy and pay more money.

Good luck in your search.

06-05-2009, 06:14 PM

Thank you

LPD has many outstanding officers, however these fine officers are led by an upper management that thrives on indecision, personal agendas, and walking across the bodies of good officers to get what they want. The senior staff is both ethically and morally corrupt and until there are some major changes in the top four positions it is not the place you would want to work.

You would have much better luck applying for larger agencies around the state and outside of Florida. LPD was once a great agency and will be again once the dead wood at the top finally goes away.

If you have your 4 year degree you might want to look at Federal LEO jobs, they are hiring like crazy and pay more money.

Good luck in your search.

Thats what I have been reading on these forums, its not that the officers are bad (all I have ran into have treated me kindly), its the management, from what I have read anyways. I was looking at PCSO as well, but thats a ways in the future yet, I still have to get into the academy haha.

07-06-2009, 12:41 AM
There happens to be a few requirements to get a sponsorship.

1. You must be a minority.

2. Have extremely poor writing skills, then you can call your supervisor racist for not approving your reports.

On the flip side, if you meet these requirements you will be in a supervisory position in no time.

10-06-2009, 02:11 PM
There happens to be a few requirements to get a sponsorship.

1. You must be a minority.

2. Have extremely poor writing skills, then you can call your supervisor racist for not approving your reports.

On the flip side, if you meet these requirements you will be in a supervisory position in no time.

Looks like someone is mad they didn't get sponsored.

10-06-2009, 06:00 PM
S/he might be mad; but that doesn't make what s/he wrote not true.

I was denied a sponsorship; w/mil experience, letters of reference and recommendation; 3 classes short of my A.A., good work history, etc.

I graduated Top Academic, missed Top Gun by 2 points, have finished my B.A. and almost done with my Masters.

All the while listening to instructors that confirmed publicly in class what 'not so lucky boyfriend wrote'.

BUT you know what? I've accomplished more personally and professionally then the ones that were sponsored that went thru the academy with me.

A lot of those aren't even in LE anymore....some fired, some left, some washed out, some just got it so easy they did not even care...

BOTTOM LINE: You want a career in Law Enforcement? GO GET IT!

10-07-2009, 01:13 PM
[quote="Guest"]

A lot of those aren't even in LE anymore....some fired, some left, some washed out, some just got it so easy they did not even care...

quote]

I agree 100%. I'd say 75% of the "kids" in my class don't even want to be there. They could care less and don't apply themselves. The only reason they are there is because their dad is a ranking member of a local agency and they think they want to be just like them. I find it very selfish to consume all the sponsorships and you don't even want to be there and they don't apply themselves. There are lots of pple out there dying to be sponsored.